[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the Sequel Trilogy not feel as special?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 27

File: download.jpg (11KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 277x182px
I remember the hype surrounding each prequel movie. Online forums were buzzing all of the time. I really don't feel the same way for the Sequel Trilogy. It'll be cool to see how it plays out but overall I just feel eh about it.
>>
>>81553320
Because people here already know it's gonna be shit, while the prequels were also pretty bad there was hope that the next would be good, disney with TFA/RO and MCU, have shown that we won't be seeing anything good for awhile so just ride along with the shitposting.
>>
girl power
>>
It's because you're old cunt
>>
>>81553320
Because we're not getting a "trilogy" were getting star wars movies every year until you fucking die.
It's not special when you know its going to be this boring corporate product in perpetuity.
>>
>>81553472
in addition to it not feeling special overall it's because of disney playing it too safe and fake with the OT purists. If the prequels did one thing right it was how they did create some new memorable worlds and characters that stuck with people since then. The only thing people are getting hyped about battlefront 2 is how we get to play in the prequel era.
>>
File: Lucasian.gif (17KB, 87x123px) Image search: [Google]
Lucasian.gif
17KB, 87x123px
There's no hype because we've slowly come to terms with the fact that TFA was unimaginative plagiarist wank

The prequels were great but manchild goatee wearing 30something gen x slacker peter pan niggas got mad when they turned out to be films which treated you like an adult and weren't about han solo
>>
>>81553616
Exactly. That's what I'm the most hyped about. OT purists really ruined Star Wars.
>>
>>81553616
>If the prequels did one thing right it was how they did create some new memorable worlds and characters that stuck with people since then.
Lucas never should have written and directed the prequels honestly.

Hes a good idea man (one of the best), let him pitch story ideas but let a quality writing team polish it up. Get someone he respected and could collaberate with to direct. Still be involved, but take a step back.
His ego was the biggest problem of the prequels.
>>
Prequels are great for rewatching besides the cringe Anakin Padme scenes in AoTC but that's it. I honestly can't sit down and watch TFA again. I can watch the first 10-15 minutes when Kylo is on Jakku but can't after that.
>>
>>81553876
Ya I agree, disney should've gone with Lucas's treatment for VII and have Brad Bird or Guillermo Del Toro handle the visuals and details.
>>
>>81553937
>Prequels are great for rewatching
Sorry anon, I can't agree with you there.
>>
>>81554187
One thing I liked about rogue one was that it looked and felt like a movie in the star wars universe. TFA felt like a generic sci-fi setting.
>>
>>81553320
Because its a Marvelflick disguised as a SW movie, thats the chief reason i prefer R1 at least it feels like a real movie.
>>
>>81554221
And RoTJ is? I'll take Gungans over cringey Ewoks and Jabba's Palace puppets any day
>>
>>81553320
Are your seriously complaining about a lack of Star Wars threads? Go fuck yourself asshole
>>
>>81554343
Are you fucking retarded? 4Chan isn't the only message board you dumb fuck.
>>
People who treated the original trilogy as if it was the second coming of Christ or the Bible and thought it was on a euphoric philosophical, sacred level really did massive damage to the franchise as a whole.

Now because of them every new movie we're going to get is going to be OT timeline wank rather than something new and if they don't like it then it will be on a level worse than the prequels.
>>
>>81553648
>this all week
>>
>>81554302
>Talking shit about Jabba's palace and the sarlacc pit
Im going to find where you live motherfucker!
Seriously though, the only real problem I have with RotJ is everything on the forest moon after luke leaves is just boring filler Leia and Han have nothing to do.
The space battle is a phenomenal sequence on a technical level and love every minute of it. Luke, Vader, and Sheev in the throne room is arguably the peak of the franchise. And Jabba's pallace, though disconnected from the rest of the movie is just fun. The rancor beast and all the aliens are great.
>>
File: le trash compactor.png (2MB, 1760x800px) Image search: [Google]
le trash compactor.png
2MB, 1760x800px
>>81553937
Guarantee you that's what it's going to be for everyone in 10-15 years. People give it a pass now because of the hype and nostalgia but when you watch all the movies back to back TFA feels completely out of place like alien resurrection.

Prequels:Big technical flaws that already look dated but tells a pretty interesting story of the sith's rise with a great setting
OT: Nothing needs to be said, it's great
ST: Offers nothing new, completely devoid of imagination, relies on the hype of fanboys from not seeing the ot characters in 30 something years to actually enjoy it, non stop meta humor that belongs in a joss wheadon flick if Jar Jar humor was out of place this was worse, with nothing but callbacks from start to finish.
>>
>>81553320
I don't feel so excited about this new trilogy mainly because of:
-it's not Lucas' story
-it's play-safe Disney moviemaking
-everything is "this new generation's equivalent of *something from the OT* "
>>
Dear 90s kids,

The prequels are trash.

Sincerely,
Everyone with an adult brain.
>>
>I'm not excited about 2 hour long toy comercials
you got old
>>
>>81553320
It needs more women and people of color. Who cares about the story.
>>
>>81553320
>Does the Sequel Trilogy not feel as special?
No it doesn't. It's why the old SW fans pretty much universally jumped ship or are just not invested in the universe anymore and treat them as just another movie franchise.

It's not the same when it isn't directed by personal vision even if that vision may be misguided or incompetent.
>>
>>81553937
I still haven't seen tfa again since opening night. How it gets praised is beyond me. I wanted something new and different. Not a gender swapped more diversity remake of a new hope. I hope the sequel at least tries something different. Hate the prequels but at least it was new and different.
>>
>>81555192
>callbacks

Oh god don't remind me. Hey guys remember Han solo q nd chewbaca and hey look its the millennium falcon OMG princess princess Leia!!!! Funny thing is all my normie fans thought it was just the greatest. Disney knows exactly what its doing.
>>
THEY MADE STAR WARS GENERIC AND BORING

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
>>
As shit as TPM was, it was also creative, original and visually stunning. The underwater section with the monsters was more imaginative than anything in TFA.

When TFA was in charge of adding something to the universe, it came up with that bounty hunter scene that feels like an off-brand Riddick scene.

Rogue One was a satisfying movie and a better nostalgia trip than TFA, so at least I have the spin-offs to look forward too. The Han Solo movie is from the guys who made the Jump Street reboots and The Lego Movie, so I'm kind of optimistic.
>>
>>81554522
OT purists want Empire Strikes back every time. The movie makers will strip out any bits that make someone online mad (I rebel!). Instead of George Lucas or Jim Henson style stuff in the Star Wars movies, it will be more like whatever is selling with the facade of Star Wars.
>>
>>81556007
>The underwater section with the monsters
Its dumb, makes no sense, and doesn't move the story forward but that and Pod Racing were the only things that really felt star wars-ie in the prequels.
>>
>>81555723
I think the only thing good from TFA was BB8. They needed to jump start the series with new droids and characters. They probably should have left R2D2 and C3PO in the Prequels & OT.

How the hell are they going to explain Kylo's obsession with Vader? The lightsaber...Its going to turn out really stupid. Nobody even cares. I'm not sure what problem the characters in TFA were trying to solve during the movie. I also haven't seen it since it debuted.
>>
Kylo is literally the only worthwhile character. I'm watching to see where he goes and hopefully to get some backstory on his and Luke's past adventures.
>>
>>81553320
Lucas isn't involved at all, and I'm not fond of a franchise that continues without the direction of its creator. Yeah, the prequels weren't up to par, but /tv/ has showed me the humor of it, even it wasn't intentional and there's still a lot of quotable lines. The sequel trilogy is just boring to me. There isn't even Lucas' unintentional humorous charm. It's just bland. That's worse to me then being hilariously mediocre, because I don't remember anything noteworthy.
>>
>>81556366
if they do another vader on kylo I will be sad
cant we have a evil-to-good character who doesnt die right after turning?
>>
>>81553648
Do you have a twitter?
>>
>>81554284
This
>>
>>81556007

The worldbuilding was great. Everything else, from the script to the over-use of cgi, was terrible. Lucas is great as an ideas man, but he should never have been a director because he has no soul.
>>
File: 1492000744590.jpg (446KB, 843x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1492000744590.jpg
446KB, 843x1034px
>>81553648
>The prequels were great but manchild goatee wearing 30something gen x slacker peter pan niggas got mad when they turned out to be films which treated you like an adult and weren't about han solo

I want to subscribe to your news letter.
>>
>>81554284
>Because its a Marvelflick disguised as a SW movie
I don't know anon, even marvel movies are more satisfying than TFA.
I honestly blame a lot of it on the director because I hate JJ so fucking much. Id almost be waiting for episode 8 if it wasntwthe jurassic world asshole. Another bland generic mememan director.
And seriously fuck jedi. They're so fucking boring and played out, and no one even knows what the fuck they're supposed to be anymore?
>>
>Why were people more hype for the prequels than the sequels?
When episode one was coming out, every Star Wars movie that had come out was great.

When episode seven was coming out, only half of the Star Wars movies that had come out were great.

People no longer thought you couldn't go wrong with Star Wars.
>>
>>81556720
>because he has no soul.
American Graffiti is a great fucking movie that oozes with genuine soul.
I think the problem with Lucas is that his creative energy is very rooted in angst. His best creative output was either him chafing against the studio system of old hollywood, and then later his divorce.
By the time he is ready to make the prequels hes an old rich fatman. Doesn't exactly stoke the creative impulses. It's Rocky 3 all over again.
>>
>>81553320
VII was a steaming pile of garbage, and that's being kind. Kids have an innate kinometer in their brains - the only characters kids found interesting were Kylo and the pilot guy. It shows that it's beyond crap no matter how much the sellout media wants to pretend it wasn't.

That said, I'd forgive Disney if it was merely a super-cautionary first venture to test the waters. Rogue One might not have had the best plot, but it wasn't scared to go places with the movie, it wasn't good but it wasn't terrible. My faith in future Star Wars rides on episode VIII.
>>
You were also a lot younger for the prequels and therefore less of a cynical asshole.
>>
>>81556871
>ROTJ
>great
>>
>>81554343
Don't worry. Once the trailer drops Friday, /tv/ is going to be Star Wars all day everyday for the nexy 8 months.
>>
>>81557328
>pilot guy.
I think Prince Cassian and guy (that's not old) in TFA are the same guy right?
>>
Prequels are better than the disney playing it safe lukewarm shit

deal with it
>>
>>81557576
...fuck
>>
File: 1491931836370.jpg (348KB, 841x800px) Image search: [Google]
1491931836370.jpg
348KB, 841x800px
>>81557614
I HATE the prequels, but this is correct. This disney crap is so uninteresting, and with all the coming SJW crap coming down the line, forget this franchise.
>>
File: 1431834733421.jpg (31KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1431834733421.jpg
31KB, 500x380px
>>81553569
This really. I wouldn't mind Disney doing Star Wars if they weren't making such a huge fucking deal about it.

What we are seeing is years of planning before and after the sale of the Lucasfilm to Disney. There is an absurd amount of shit already with two feature films and more on the way plus whatever else is coming up, I don't even know.

All I give a shit about is Luke. When he's dead I'm done with this franchise.
>>
>>81557576
I'm not even looking forward to the movie but I legit can't wait for the trailer simply for all the shitposting to come from it
>>
>>81557614
This. Fuck Disney.
>>
>>81553320
It's simply your nostalgia talking. Besides, the prequel trilogy was complete trash that no one in their right mind would ever be hype for.
>>
>>81553320

Lol what? People went fucking apeshit for The Force Awakens and its trailers.

Don't know what you faggots get from forcing these ridiculous contrarian opinions.

TFA may have been derivative but the prequels are abhorrent pieces of cinema. "At least they were original and tried new things!" The dialogue was shit, the plot was shit, the character development was shit, the cinematography was shit, the entire production felt incredibly lazy.

Go sit down and watch the prequels again. I tried watching Episode I recently and it was irredeemable trash. If you somehow think those movies were okay let alone good then you simply don't appreciate the art of movie-making and you have objectively shit taste.
>>
>>81557705
Same, I can't wait for the autistic frame-by-frame analysis by our highly esteemed /tv/ critics.
>>
>>81557889
People on /tv/ seem to think that /tv/'s demographics are representative of the general population.
>>
>>81553509
this
>>
>>81557328
>kids have an innate kinometer

My nephew is 6 and he likes the walking dead
>>
>>81553320
Because it's fan fiction
>>
>>81557889
everyone on my facebook feed was saying it was meh
>>
>>81558033
>facebook feed
get out normie REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81557889
Lol.
>>
>>81553320
I remember one message board with literally thousands of posters arguing if fellowship or phantom menace was better, and how attack of the clones would blow two towers out of the water, kinda funny now i m thinking about it
>>
>>81557889
>having a differing opinion on my nostalgia bait makes you a contrarian
I LOVE this meme
>>
>>81557508
(you)
>>
>>81553320
Trust me, after Friday, half the threads on the front page of /tv/ will be Star Wars and it will be 2 or 3 constantly until several months after the new movie comes out
>>
>>81554275
Rogue one was horribly done but in that, it felt like the prequels. Whereas, I hate the force awakens. It was so horrible that it left Me stunned, I was stunned, shocked, broken over what I'd seen. I waited 30 years for this, this thing to come along and rape my hopes and my imaginations. I hate Disney.
>>
Gen Xers ruined Star Wars.

"Muh TIE Fighters and X-Wings"

"Muh Han Solo"

"Muh desert planet!"

"Muh trench run!!"

"I took muh kidz to see it and I cried reliving muh childhood with them..thanx Disney!"
>>
>>81553320
Based Disney saving Star Wars
>>
>>81558305
If by saving you mean raped horribly then yes, Disney most assuredly 'saved' star wars.
>>
File: Ron Howard.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ron Howard.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>81554187
At the time, no reputable, well-known directors would work for Lucas due to his beef with the DGA. The only person with enough vision and ability to do it stated on numerous occasions he had no interest.

>pic related
>>
>>81558365
From a certain point of view
>>
>>81558213
I meant more like the aesthetics of it all. It had that "lived in" feeling to the sets that the OT had. Everything felt too clean and shiny in the prequels (outside of phantom menace). And TFA had too much JJ slick bullshit everywhere.
>>
>>81558404
With a cock up one's arse, every point of view is an eyeful except for the one with the cock up his bum. For that one's point of view is one of agony. Unless of course he's a faggot.
>>
>>81558381
I've always wanted to see him try out the sci fi genre.
>>
>>81553320
You feel eh about it because they haven't done anything original as of yet. Whether you like how the prequels were made or not, the actual content was amazing & new and probably my favourite timeframe in Star Wars.
>>
>>81558484
I forgave the prequels because they were prequels. TFA was only the biggest most anticipated sequel of all time and it was a pile of ogre shit!
>>
>>81558156
The amount of people paying attention to something isn't subjective you fucking retard
>>
>>81558529
http://ew.com/article/2015/08/25/quentin-tarantino-sci-fi-movie/

He is considering it
>>
>>81553509
>remembering the prequel trilogies makes you old now

Man, this place just keeps getting younger and younger.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>81558516
Anon, my allegiance is to women, to heterosexuality
>>
>>81553937
"So who talks first? I talk first? You talk first?"

Almost got up and left the theater right there. And the number of people laughing out loud at such a shitty, out-of-place line spoke volumes about the current state of the Star Wars community.
>>
>>81558672
>Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I don't believe you.
>>
>>81556623
I actually think that might be the point of him. A character who pulls a "Vader" but you actually see what it means to have a real redemption, not just conveniently dying before you even attempt to make up for the shit you've done.

Sounds like future comic bait. So does the past adventures of Luke, Ben and Lor San Tekka.
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 659x922px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 659x922px
>>81558121
>mfw Two Towers and AOTC both sucked.
>>
>>81557889
>People went fucking apeshit for TFA and its trailers.
>you simply don't appreciate the art of movie-making

Pick one and only one of these arguments.
>>
>>81558672
I could have handled it if the hotshot fighter jock was a little quippy but fucking everyone is making jokes in the movie.
Not that star wars doesn't have humor in it, it felt organic to the characters, or just unintentionally funny. But it wasn't a fucking comedy.
>>
>>81558672
>out-of-place line
The devil cannot endure to be mocked senpai.
>>
>I remember the hype surrounding each prequel movie.

Those poor fools.
>>
File: Palp_trustme.jpg (7KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Palp_trustme.jpg
7KB, 250x188px
>>81557850
>>
>>81558672
ya it was pretty stupid but finn felt way more out of place
>So you have a boyfriend? Cute boyfriend?
>I'm in charge now phasma! I'm in charge now! xD
>>
>>81553320
It's just a bad movie but bad for the homogenized focus group tested lowest common denominator reason.

George Lucas was a true auteur. His vision may have been bad but it was his vision. Not a board of directors approved piece of shit.
>>
>>81558672
"Droid please"

"Let go of my hand!! I know how to run!!"

"I'm in charge now Phasma! I'm in charge!"
>>
>>81553660
Kill yourself. Not even kidding, faggot.
>>
File: trailer.jpg (145KB, 1045x575px) Image search: [Google]
trailer.jpg
145KB, 1045x575px
HOO REY
>>
>>81558757
Thanks Chris
>>
>>81553616
>disney playing it too safe and fake with the OT purists
Yes, having one of the most beloved characters of the entire saga killed ignobly by a fuckboy with a Vader fetish was a very safe move and didn't anger OT purists at all. Do you people even think about the things you say or do you just go with the general /tv/ opinion
>>
>>81559061
Muh Han Solo!!
>>
>>81558653
I hear once you've taken the mouse's dick up your bum, it's much like sniffing coke off of santa's penis, you'll never want anything else ever again because from there on the only way is down.
>>
>>81558672
"Is there a garbage chute?..." *OT purists start getting excited* "...or trash compactor?" *OT purists lose their shit over the reference*
>>
How did SW ever become the Han Solo story? It's like X-Men turning into the Wolverine Show.
>>
>>81558576
I felt the exact opposite way. TFA at least has the excuse of trading new ground, so there are no expectations other than it should feel like Star Wars, which it did. The prequels, on the other hand, had a responsibility to the legend that they fucked up immensely. I almost cried after watching AotC desu
>>
>>81559177
And yet wolverine is the only guy anyone ever gave a shit about. I was going to quote you in green text and go, Oh Wait, but at this conjuncture it'd be a moot point.

I actually imagined Han Solo being a great General, and a father of five kids, and twenty grand kids, with each grand kid crazier than the last. He and Chewie's spending their latter years chasing down Han's crazy grand kids out across the galaxy up to his old Shennigans. That would have been an awesome watch I think. I even thought of one of Han and Leia's kids being a hippie chick who is super fertile and just love having kids. She has many lovers who fathered fifteen of her children. Han's other four kids are Politicians. None of them followed their crazy Uncle, Luke. Who'd be like Gandalf the Grey, only more powerful.

anything would have been better than that shit Disney gave us.
>>
>>81559333
There was nothing new and exiting about the shit awakens. It was retarded throughout. Every scene literally took me out of the movie. Leia hugging that shit, Rey, instead of Chewie after Han died, was the final nail. What a crock of shit TFA is.
>>
>>81553320
Objectively it is more hyped than the prequels were by sheer numbers.

Subjectively I'd imagine that having the original actors, characters, settings, designs, and etc back make it more hype. The movies look like Star Wars more than the prequels did in promotion.
>>
>>81559333
I never understood this argument, why couldn't both the prequels and TFA be good and different? Nobody asked TFA be the same old same old to "reestablished" the series as a reboot, why would you need to anyway, it's fucking star wars
>>
>>81553320
TFA and Rogue One are just typical MCU level flicks. There is nothing to be hyped about.
>>
>>81559333
Christopher Lee and MacGregor make AOTC a good kids movie, but the detective plot is over elaborate and the separatist angle isn't followed up on. Anakin isn't a great role, since it's all about Lucas's belief that great historical figures possess "delusions of grandeur" based on selfishness. It's easy to use the word *projection* in this regard. The politics of the prequels are fuzzy, and Anakin has no interest in them so why would an audience?
>>
>skim thread

You know what I like to do? Forget all the garbage prequel shit, accept that it's canon, and enjoy the parts I like

Mainly these guys

Holy fuck the clones wars are cool. It's not the Imperials vs the Guerrillas of the OT, it's just all out fucking total war with capital ships blasting each other and troops trained from birth to fuck shit up

The opening minute of Episode III is fucking god tier, and don't give me any of that "they made it on computers xD" crap. Up until the point the characters start talking this pure, 100% Star Wars in the literal form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZq53GloUhw
>>
>>81560682
Watching these guys in Tartakovsky's cartoon was amazing
>>
>>81558959
AKA They're going to spoil the whole thing.
>>
>>81553648
>The prequels were great

RIP /tv/
>>
>>81553320
>Does the Sequel Trilogy not feel as special?
No considering there was not one single original idea in the entire movie.
>>
>>81561156
These fags came out of the woodwork even before TFA premiered

Max levels of prequel apology

I just ascribe it to 4chan's contrarionism. Most of the internet hates the prequels? Gotta defend George.
>>
>>81559767
>Christopher Lee and MacGregor make AOTC a good kids movie
Having been 12 when AotC came out I'd have to disagree with that.

>>81560682
>Forget all the garbage prequel shit, accept that it's canon, and enjoy the parts I like
This nigga knows what's up.
Lucas always had an eye for color and motion and some scenes in the prequels do a very good job with it.
>>
>>81553320
honest trailers pretty much hit the nail on the heads Its exactly the same movie as a new hope with a fresh coat of paint
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pegJQPIzfs4
>>
>>81561404
wrong video
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3sVrm_W4o
>>
>>81555521
preach, the ironic defense of those shit movies is ridiculous
>>
>>81553937
This.

I saw TFA 3 times in cinemas, once at the midnight screening but can not be bothered to go back and watch it again. Where as i've watched the PT completely at least twice and ROTS a couple more times since TFA came out. A lot of my mates keep telling me "watch it again, you'll like it more" whene I knew from the first time I saw TFA that I was disappointed by it but I would never let myself believe it until 3 months after seeing it.
>>
Oldfag. Never a big fan but SW had a ton of cool characters and sci-fi stuff but only a little was explored. The rest was up to your imagination. Thats what made the toys so cool. Boba Fet was a blank slate.

Now every nook and cranny is explored and explained (poorly). The sense of wonder is gone
>>
>>81561508
I also saw it three times and I liked it more with each viewing. Maybe your judgment was swayed by /tv/? I've watched the PT dozens of times and none save RotS are even on the same level as TFA desu
>>
>>81559061
That was literally the only way they could get Ford to come back at all you mong.
>>
>>81553616
This
>>
>>81561603
It's not the fact that he died that bothers OT purists and is a huge risk you cocksmoker but the manner in which it happened.
>>
File: 1422876645731.jpg (8KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
1422876645731.jpg
8KB, 200x252px
Objectively, TFA is great and the prequels are trash. I'm looking forward to The Last Jedi, I enjoyed Looper.
>>
>>81561680
Show me one example of people hating on how Solo died
>>
>>81557850

Not true. Remember that episode one was the first star wars movie since the return of the jedi. There was hype if only because of that.

>>81553320

Well... it is a souless cashgrab after all.
RO and Ep VII are not bad movies by any means but there is nothing special about them, nothing memorable. The whole new cast is bland as fuck, the story was decent at best and the fights where pretty shit.

The same happens with the MCU... the movies are ok movies but most are completely forgettable.
>>
>>81561538
Except half the complaints about TFAs are people whining that enough things didn't get "explained".
>>
>>81561724
I am an OT purist desu and it rustled my jimmies for a while before I came to terms with it.

>>81561903
>Well... it is a souless cashgrab after all.
The irony in this statement is that both films were made by people who love Star Wars more than Lucas did. You can argue that the movies are less artistic and imaginative but soulless they are not.
>>
It's not special.
It's an average Disney capeshit series.
>>
>>81553320
The sequel trilogy is fundamentally unnecessary (much like the prequels) and TFA chose the most dull way of going about its business.

Stupid prequel/interquel bullshit like Rogue One and the Han Solo movie don't help.
>>
File: 1474590585569.jpg (104KB, 679x427px) Image search: [Google]
1474590585569.jpg
104KB, 679x427px
Just started new thrawn audiobook, in an hour hes already killed a handful of people just to study tactics. What are people bitching about again? Also dat voice actor channeling mikelson and organ music is awesome.
>>
>>81562961
So just the OT then? Why are you here?
>>
Because they're legit trash.
>>
>>81563057
The OP asked why the sequel trilogy seems less special. I gave an answer.

Are you upset I called the prequels unnecessary?
>>
>>81561156
>liking nu(((star wars)))
kys
>>
>>81556191
>Its dumb, makes no sense
You could lodge this complaint against most elements in Star Wars. Not really a good argument.

>and doesn't move the story forward
Well therein lies the problem. Original trilogy had lots of cool ideas with bad plotting, TFA had competent plotting and but no new ideas.
>>
Oversaturation.

In 1999 there were two blockbusters LMAO. One was Star wars, the other was The Matrix, which was R and new.

2002 had what, Xmen and Star Wars? and 2005 had Star Wars and ... the Island?

There's literally a $200m movie every three weeks in 2017.
>>
>>81555192
Disney doesn't care. There will be a new movie every year to distract people.
>>
>>81563136
>Original trilogy had lots of cool ideas with bad plotting, TFA had competent plotting and but no new ideas.
Aside from RotJ's messiness, I wouldn't say TFA has better plotting than the original trilogy.
>>
It's because the movies themselves are bland, soulless, feel like they're not taking part in the SW universe, rehashing, etc.. They feel small and anti-climatic and the main cast was awkward

The prequels were horribly written/acted/dialog'd but they still felt like star wars movies
>>
>>81555814
It's funny that RLM bitched about AT-ATs on that planet in Rogue One as going too far with callbacks, but were fine with TFA's
>>
>>81563011
Thrawn wouldn't kill people aimlessly just to "study tactics". He's not a maniac nor is he even evil.
>>
>>81563328
RLM all but sucked Disney's and JJ's cock about getting the thing, so they kinda feel like Disney folded because they said so. They shat all over Rogue One but sucked Rey's dick. They were trying to make up for TFA, but it's too late, we all know they're dick suckers.
>>
File: 1457141697243.jpg (103KB, 355x642px) Image search: [Google]
1457141697243.jpg
103KB, 355x642px
>>81561703
So you have shit taste is what you're saying?
>>
File: sdgsggg.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sdgsggg.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
>Be 11 when TPM first comes out
>"omg the plot is so confusing I can't follow the space politics!" say all the adults
>I understand it fine

>I'm a full grown manchild when TFA comes out
>Plot is confusing as hell
>What's the resistance? what's the first order? where's the new republic? what's this planet that got blown up? how does the first order have a giant death star?

Cutting out that garbage unnecessary tentacle monster scene in TFA for ONE scene where people talk about wtf is actually going on would have tremendously helped the movie from being a mess. And don't give me that "the books explain it" excuse.
>>
>>81563281
You hold this opinion only because you were a kid when the prequels came out. From an objective standpoint there is a massive thematic and aesthetic disconnect between the OT and the PT whereas for all of TFA's and RO's flaws there's a continuity between the OT and nu-Wars.

The only things that are legitimately bad about the new films is the Starkiller Star trench run and the fact that Kyle Katarn is a girl and dies.
>>
File: sdgsgsgsgsgs.png (1MB, 690x976px) Image search: [Google]
sdgsgsgsgsgs.png
1MB, 690x976px
TFA is literally garbage and full of plotholes

One of the most inexcusible ones is the whole deathstar 3 (lets call it that, it's what it is) firing sequence and Rei

>Rei gets her spooky vision and runs out of Maaz's temple crying
>Han/Finn begin walking out of Maaz's temple
>Death Star 3 fires and beam travels across the galaxy to blow up Hosnian Prime
>Kylo Renn is on his star destroyer, looking at the beam from the death star 3 planet
>People on Maaz's planet can SEE the beam even though it's nowhere near Hosnian Prime or even the destination (pic related)
>Rei is STILL running in the woods and Finn JUST reaches outside, meaning its only been a few minutes at most for the beam to go across the fucking galaxy and magically appear over Maaz's planet
>Kylo Ren arrives and kidnaps Rei, even though he was just on the other side of the galaxy a few minutes ago

FUCKING GARBAGE. How do people praise this crap?

This isn't "nitpicking", it's pretty glaring. Moreover shit sites like RLM made their fortune nitpicking the prequels about shit like should Obi-wan have grabbed onto the assassin droid omg worst movie ever
>>
>>81558888
The second one gave me second hand embarrassment in the theater. How the fuck was that supposed to be funny?
>>
>>81563624
>Moraband
Literally the worst and most unnecessary rename since Sheev
>>
File: IMG_2497.png (89KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2497.png
89KB, 399x382px
>>81561703
Can a person really be this fucking stupid?
>>
>>81563863
George knows how to rustle the masses
>>
File: Mickey.jpg (75KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Mickey.jpg
75KB, 900x900px
>>81553648
Hear, hear. The prequels were great.

Go out and buy a copy right now. On bluray.
>>
>>81563624
>firing your superweapon through the supermassive black hole at the core of the galaxy

obviously had to curve that bitch, you fucking autistic retard
>>
>People complain about the CGI in the prequels.

>A brutally done CGI tenticale monster chases old man Han. "OH this is great! Go Han and Rey!"
>>
File: IMG_2491.jpg (32KB, 340x383px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2491.jpg
32KB, 340x383px
>>81564267
>people complain about terrible acting in the prequels
>"OMG I LOVE DAISY SO MUCH REY IS SUCH A WAIFU AND WELL PLAYED CHARACTER"

/tv/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>81564227
1.) There's no black hole at the center of the galaxy

2.) Even if there was, the beam is called a hyperspace laser which would be unaffected provided it didnt come out inside/close to it

3.) Even if it wasn't a hyperspace laser, you could still easily curve it around the black hole to the point where you couldn't see it from Takodana
>>
>>81564336
>19-year-old pleb on a Somalian dart throwing board thinks he knows acting
>>
>>81553648
I think I love you.
>>
>>81564336
>Ridley
Bad actor with good direction. Everyone else is fine.
>the prequels
Good actors with bad direction. Everyone is awful.
>>
>>81564377
>12 year old autistic sperg on a Korean basket weaving site thinks he knows good Star Wars movies
>"B-but mummy dis movie had teh original X-Wings doing a trench run so cooooool mummy can we see it again for the 18th time!"
>>
>>81564417
>everyone else is fine
The only good actors in that movie were the original cast.
>>
>>81564364
>here's a bunch of non-canon extended universe lore

autistic screeching.jpg
>>
File: IMG_2442.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2442.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>81553648
I unironically agree with this
>>
>>81553320
Honestly, theres a lot wrong with this movie. So, so much wrong. But a lot of it, in my opinion, as to do with JJ. He's what I like to call a 98% director.

He comes up with something, writes, directs, whatevers it, and its usually fairly good. Blockbuster material. But he sees something that could really really push this movie over the edge into something great, always little things too, and he decides "Nah, that aint me".

TFA couldve used just a little nudge and it wouldve gone from "Why are you trying so hard" bad to acceptable and maybe a few special editions away from being loved.
>>
>>81564484
No one was good but Han and Kylo.

I can't believe the main villain had to talk out the whole plot to the audience.

"The droid you SEEK is ABOARD the MILLIENUM FALCON in the hands of YOUR FATHER, HAN SOLOO"
>>
>>81564417
Ewan was great at times.
>Hayden
>good actor

>>81564447
I've known Star Wars films (not movies) since before you were born senpai
>>
>>81564511
well his point in the first point is non-canon as the movie never talks about having to maneuver the laser around a black hole

meanwhile the map is official and released with the movie
>>
New trailer is up on EW.com
>>
There was more buzz and hype around Episode VII than anything since. Unfortunately Disney will learn that yearly releases make interest drop like a stone.
>>
>>81564645
If you like The Farce Engorges you are either an old fart Vietnam vet dreaming for the good old days and actually ENJOY a rip off of it, or you're an autistic 12 year old who has no frontal lobe and can only achieve enjoyment from Star Wars if it's autistic X-Wing poo-pooing TIE Fighters and Rebels "rekting xDD" those evil baddie Stormtroopers. There is no middle ground.
>>
File: 1472465709691.jpg (301KB, 699x1211px) Image search: [Google]
1472465709691.jpg
301KB, 699x1211px
>>81563624
Its pure laziness.
>>
>>81564673
No one gives a shit Disney shill. Anyone who advertises this abortion deserves to be crucified in front of the world and be slowly consumed by ravenous crows.
>>
>>81555521
My dad is 60 and likes the prequels. I don't think you understand how social media has brainwashed you.
>>
>>81564735
TFA fans just got BTFO'd AGAIN. Will they ever recover?
>>
File: 1407699658936.jpg (133KB, 1159x450px) Image search: [Google]
1407699658936.jpg
133KB, 1159x450px
>>81564755
>Implying I'm a Disney shill
>Implying I'm not just here to laugh at you faggots seeing it's a trailer for the new "female highlighted series" and REEEEEEEing like the fat autistic frogbabies you are

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/13/star-wars-female-heroes-forces-of-destiny-stories/
>>
>>81564718
Closer to the former than the latter desu, but I don't think and don't really see how anyone could think that re-envisioning one of the best adventure films of all time for a new generation is a bad thing. TFA has flagrant flaws but the vitriolic hate it gets on this board (and literally only on the entire internet on this board) is astounding.
>>
>>81564735
>someone takes the time to write this autistic garbage
>doesn't know the difference between solar system and planetary system

into the trash.jpg
>>
>>81561156
>hurrr prequels were like so baaad amirite guise? lol
I hate reddit so fucking much jesus christ
>>
>>81564829
>the prequels were good
plebs pls go
>>
>>81558937
>"Droid please"
Was that ad libbed? That's obviously a spin NIGGA please. I thought Jar Jar wasn't supposed to be a racist.
>>
>>81564810
Students get zeros and academic probation for copying another students work and passing it off as one of their own.

(((JJ))) does the same in movie form and people praise him. You people are fucking pathetic, literally go jump off a bridge. I'd rather drop world ending nukes on Disney then keep swallowing this capeshit trash you think is a good thing.

GET OUT NORMALFAGS FROM MY BOARD
>>
>>81564813
Not an argument faggot
>>
>>81564829

Kill yourself SaganFan1983, the only people who make excuses for the prequels are redditors and literal jew autists.
>>
>>81558937
>"Let go of my hand!! I know how to run!!"

That was the beginning of some very terrible things about her character.

>>81557850

This. TFA is weak. But that's no justification for pretending the Prequels are good.
>>
>>81564900
I don't think you understand what Star Wars is, senpai. If you extend the definition of plagiarism to include JJ's antics then Lucas himself would have been guilty of it.

You are a freshman in university and think you know better than not only the general public but the entire body of film critics as a whole. Take literary criticism next semester and then watch the Star Wars films again senpai.
>>
>>81564864
>>>/r/flicks
>>81564938
>>>/polgbt/
>>
>>81564930
>the superweapon can destroy Earth and Jupiter

that's literally what this dribble says so it's objectively wrong, because Earth and Jupiter don't exist in the SW universe, so if part of is wrong then it's not worth considering any parts of it

ergo kys retarded autist
>>
>>81565056
Yeah the only way EVER to recreate the feeling of a franchise is to retread old grounds to the letter. God forbid we take similar themes, atmosphere and feeling while making up new plot lines, factions and original characters?

But you're right. No one would go for that, because they, like you, are cognitively stunted and need to be hand held to realize what they're watching. Who needs nuance anyway? AS LONG AS ITS STAR WARS ITS GOOD*
*except the prequels and EU which we here at Reddit hate
>>
>>81553320
It's like being excited about a new Avengers movie. Who cares.
It's not even really canon or part of the original series, so it's feels pointless to bother with it.
>>
>>81565103
>lmao I'm gonna false flag because I can't logically debate the main point that TFA is a pathetic rip off and belongs in the trash
>>
>>81565201
easiest internet debate of my life lmao, thanks for giving up and resorting to fallacies fucking maximum zoz

me: 1
you: 0
>>
>>81565161
>new plot lines
Star Wars is the hero's journey and it always will be.
>factions
I'll give you that one.
>and original characters
Like Kylo Ren?

>except the prequels and EU which we here at Reddit hate
I love the EU and legitimately think that the last act of RotS is one of the finest pieces of kino ever made. I think you're projecting onto TFA fans this person you've created in your head that doesn't actually exist.

TFA is far from a perfect movie but you have to realize that there is a middle ground between "best movie ever" and "rehash jew shit."
>>
Star Wars is capeshit now. Pretty sad. Nothing is sacred to these jews.
>>
>>81553472
AT BEST, Rei is going to temporarily turn bad and Kylo good and Kylo gets her back to being good in the 3rd one and they fight Snoke together. That's still pretty predictable but it could be slightly interesting. At worst the 2nd movie is about her proving herself as a strong Jedi woman to Luke and then she meets a stronger Kylo who cuts off her arm then she gets redemption in the 3rd on and Kylo sacrifices himself to save her.
>>
File: 1421527351860.gif (875KB, 250x231px) Image search: [Google]
1421527351860.gif
875KB, 250x231px
>>81565360

>now

Try forty years ago.
>>
File: drdroid2.jpg (8KB, 204x231px) Image search: [Google]
drdroid2.jpg
8KB, 204x231px
TFA and R1 and so forth are zombie simpsons season 26

prequels were just seasons 11, 12
>>
>>81565898
That's pretty fucking offensive to seasons eleven and twelve.
>>
>>81563463
All those questions are sufficiently answered in the movie.
>What's the resistance
The new rebels. They fight the first order. You can tell this by their visual design and the fact that Finn mentions "the Resistance against the First Order".
>What's the First Order?
New empire, which you can tell from the visuals.
>Where's the New Republic?
What new republic?
>What's this planet that got blown up?
There's the new republic. You can tell because Finn mentions it while it is happening. If that requires too much attention for you, you can tell from the visuals that it is a populated planet the bad guys didn't like and that's it, just like Alderaan was.
>How does the First Order have a giant death star?
...the same way the Empire did, they built it. Why is this even a question?

If you are looking for more thorough explanations, you can go ahead and point me to that time in A New Hope when they explained the ideals and formation of the Rebellion in depth and discussion of the logistical struggles of constructing a moon-sized space station.
>>
>>81565898
Don't ever compare Star Wars to zombie Simpsons again.
>>
>>81565972
I don't think the First Order or the Resistance would have benefited from more explanation (though where the fuck Snoke came from and how he got where he is certainly do need to be touched on) but your comparison to the original movie doesn't really hold because it wasn't a sequel. Part of being a sequel involves getting the audience to understand how one context segued into the new one. ANH never had that burden because it was its own beast.
>>
It's because we already know Disney plans to release a whole bunch of Star Wars movies, and it won't be over with just this trilogy. With the prequels, you had the idea that "this was it, Star Wars was pretty much going to be done unless something else comes up".

I think they're spreading themselves too thin, even though I'm excited for Episode 8.
>>
>>81555814
George Lucas was doing that all over the place in the prequels as well, though.

It's annoying both times.
>>
>>81563462
>>81563932
Sorry prequelfags, but your opinion is literally dog shit to me. Something to be wiped off my shoe, nothing more. Enjoy hating Star Wars from now until forever though.
Thread posts: 206
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.