[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Film School

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Is film school a good idea? Why or why not?
>>
it's expensive as hell, but you'll get your name out there
>>
I'm in one right now. It's more 'fun' than a more academic subject (which I attempted before but dropped out).

However, unless you're 100% committed to making films or TV, you will have doubts about the usefullness of the course, just like I am.
>>
>>81547417

yes it is. because even if it doesnt teach you much its where you make the contacts to get places in the future, the movie industry isnt about what you know but who you know.
>>
It seems like a waste of money and time, but I guess it'll look good on a resume if you want to film local commercials or something lame like that
>>
>>81547584
which one? I'm in one too and it's exactly like that
>>
>>81547417
It's expensive as hell and makes you really pretentious about films simultaneously making you love them and hate them more at the same time.
>>
>>81547467
>but you'll get your name out there
hahahahaahahahaahaha

I don't think you realize just how many people graduate from film school every year.
>>
>>81547417
Don't go to film school, go to films
>>
if you're interested in actually making films, don't go to film school. buy a decent camera, but not necessary the most expensive one. use mandy.com or craiglist to find actors to collaborate with. make movies for the joy of it, and you might make a living from it as well. if you want to work in the industry, you might make contacts via school but you'll be competing with your fellow classmates for gigs, like a sperm to an egg.
>>
>>81547417

Film school doesn't teach you how to MAKE a film it teaches you how to pretend to know you know about film conceptually. I work on sets with people older than me that getting their degree and they are far more lost in terms of technical talk because of how little effort they put on teaching you the mechanics of filmmaking and more on the conceptual aspects.
>>
File: IMG_3315.jpg (14KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3315.jpg
14KB, 275x183px
Lmao niggas can make movies on their iPhones and a pirated copy of after effects and you're asking if you you should go to school to do that?

Make some short films and put them online, if people like them then start a patreon so you can make them more professional.
>>
>>81547632
>>Thinking you'll make contacts in film school

BWAAAHAHA.

You're better off scrubbing toilets in LA than going to film school anywhere else if you want to make contacts.
>>
>>81547417
Same as video game design. I'm sure it's gonna help you, but natural talent will get you into the industry big time, not by the book boring portfolio.
A degree will probably get you an entry level job and even without talent you can probably advance to some mid level job
>>
>>81547417
If you wanna make it into the industry in any way besides making local commercial, getting there without a degree means you need to actually dedicate yourself to learning and making movies. Not just when you feel like it, but when you really, really don't feel like it. Especially then. Say what you want about Tarantino but that guy worked a shitty job just to use the money on rental gear and make movies on weekends.
>>
Don't got to film School. Go to films.

Faggot
>>
It will help you network and how to write screenplays with coherent three act structures. If you can't explain your film with a logline then no one will look at it, like, "When an alcoholic ex-Marine decides to get his life in order, he enlists the help of a man who was a junkie and and was also his bully in the Marine Corp."

It will help you understand film is a business. If you can get away from all the artsy, pretentious stuff or find a way to channel that into people in seats then it will be good. I got distinctions and credits but I'm a low-level film genius.

After that, it's like weird. You will sometimes work with people who do not know anything about film. They're terrible directors, writers, with huge chips on their shoulders. Avoid anyone who says stuff like, "Yeah, I'll make you famous" or "Yeah, you will become the next big thing". They're slimeballs. I had one "producer" who didn't even know what a fucking logline was - tell me to write a 200 word logline and send it to him. I told him to research films like This is England and other stuff, he probably watched The Avengers when we were doing a "Social Drama", beware of these guys. Gave him $5000 to start a short film, he never went through with it, asked for the money back and was hesitant to. Meanwhile, kept asking for me to fund his shitty D-grade horror films.

I later learned that he doesn't care anything about film, he just wants to make straight to DVD films you find in garbage bins for free. I've forgiven the guy but that really fucked me up for awhile. I hated how he use to say but you're not really all there (it's because I'm trying to think and visualize how to use the location for the scene), just stay away from douchebags like that.

I should have knew it from the start when he use to wear the same Marvel shirt every day, even now, he is still condescending to me.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.