[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't this man get an Oscar for this role?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 26

File: lex.png (755KB, 1106x761px) Image search: [Google]
lex.png
755KB, 1106x761px
Why didn't this man get an Oscar for this role?
>>
File: niro.jpg (601KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
niro.jpg
601KB, 1280x800px
>deniro wasn't even nominated for Dirty Grandpa
oscars are a fluke
>>
>>81514639
Because the Oscars are an embarrassment.
>>
>>81514639
He settled for a Jolly Rancher.
>>
>>81514639
Fuck off retard
>>
File: 1.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>
File: 2.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
2.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>
>>81514721
kek
>>
File: 3.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
3.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>
For the oscars, no cares who you are u til you put on a mask. A mask of deceit. And BvS is anything but. Snyder would never allow that.

The fact that it got razzies proves that people are MASSIVELY butthurt that they did not get another mindless flick starring two over-portrayed men in capes who were, this time, done justice.
>>
>>81515142
The Razzies are a joke. Even the clickbait journalists avoided reporting the razzies this year. The awards were petty and consisted of shaming ambition. I think the Disney PR flung the hammer just a little too hard at BvS. People smelled something funny.
>>
>>81515205
Yeah, and there was a ton of bad PR for the film right from the start.

first, ben affleck as batman.
>hate for MoS.
>hate for the trailer.
>hate for showing Doomsday before the launch.
>Continual hate for snyder.
>Hate for WW being shoehorned.
>Hate for jessie being cast.
>Then the negative reviews
>Then "the running time is too long"
>"the only good part is the WW theme song"
>omg lol martha
>batman and superman dont fight at all!
>then the RT scores
>box office revenue
>"toxic masculinity"
>"The "Donald J. Trump" of movies"
>actual hate from people at DC comics
>>
>>81514879
>>81514838
>>81514783
>gif
>bad aspect ratio

Are you a sadist?
>>
>>81515515
Yes. But if you have a better gif or a webm I would be sincerely grateful.
>>
>>81515643
Do you have the movie? Use WinFF to convert it.
>>
Legit if BvS ever ends up on a streaming site like netflix, amazon, hulu etc. I'll check it out...

but I'm not paying to rent it
>>
>>81514639
https://youtu.be/IwfoaQ2GyTU?t=3m25s
>>
>>81514639
Mainly because every normie, and that means not only the viewing audience, but also somewhere in the neighborhood of, oh, let's say 73% of "critics," did not understand this movie. They didn't understand the characters, they didn't understand the plot, and they for damn sure didn't understand that what they were watching wasn't your typical big-budget-beat-em-up. It was a complete curveball from a guy that's already proven he likes to throw them.

Eisenberg and pretty much everyone on the project did a superb job, and I hope they take satisfaction from the fact that their real fans know it. I also hope they get satisfaction from the fact that they just busted out 73% of people writing reviews to either be puppets or plebs.

No one who understands what this movie is and what it has done can hate it.
>>
>>81515937
Do you even realise how far up your own ass you are?
>>
>>81515684
okay

>>81515643
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-4cJb25uzcU

>>81515734
>that cam wuality
>shit aspect ratio

what the fuck is up with people on youtube uploading clips in 16:9? The movie isn't in 16:9.
>>
>>81514639
Oh wow, I forgot they hired that little faggot to play Luthor. That was when I turned away from DC "movies" and never looked back.
>>
>>81516005
That's the beautiful irony of it - your own statement only serves to reveal the truth of the matter.
>>
>>81516005
stop projecting
>>
terrible casting on top of terrible acting.
>>
>>81514721
It's cherry...
>>
>>81516072
Why are you suddenly in every thread? Stop replying to me, fucking tripfag

>>81516067
Look man, BvS really isn't what you think it is. It's not some high-brow, mind blowing, thinking-man's movie
It's a well done superhero movie that was butchered in the theatrical release.
I liked it, and I'm not constantly rambling about Martha, CGI, or marvel for that matter, but BvS really is just a superhero movie, and it shouldn't be regarded as some next level shit, nor should you be watching it and proclaiming ''you just don't get it''. It's pathetic
>>
Not sure what's more pathetic, BvS or Star Wars prequels apologists, there's probably a lot of overlap between the two groups though
>>
File: 1369086952947.jpg (34KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1369086952947.jpg
34KB, 300x300px
>notice batman v superman has been playing on HBO for nearly six months nonstop
>decide to watch it once
>they resized it for TV and cut off the sides
>it's not even ultimate edition
>>
>>81516357
>Why are you suddenly in every thread?

Why are YOU browsing every thread I am?
>Stop replying to me, fucking tripfag
no

>>81516358
false equivalence

>>81516400
The ultimate cut is reserved for physical media.
>>
>>81516437
>false equivalence
I don''t think you know what that means, but judging by the fact you think BvS is high art that would make sense
>>
>>81516476
yet another non-statement that exists only to insult.

great job.
>>
>>81515142
>>81515205
>>81515354
kys
>>
>>81516511
Throwing around terms they don't understand in order to sound intelligent and lofty...what does that remind me of?
>>
>>81516357
>Look man, BvS really isn't what you think it is. It's not some high-brow, mind blowing, thinking-man's movie

I disagree, and I'll even post up all the reasons why I think it's what I say it is, and I'm gonna throw on a trip to do it so there's no mistaking what posts are mine.
>>
>>81514639
Almost as bad as leto's joker. They really need to get better at casting villians.
>>
>>81516577
>>81516566
read

>>81516511
>>
>>81516358
>there's probably a lot of overlap between the two groups though

There is, and it's a hatred for Disney.
>>
>>81516633
Get some taste and stop shitting up the board even further
>>
>>81514879

>him licking his fingers

HNNNNNNNNNNNNG
>>
>>81516588
I'm waiting, man
>>
>>81516633
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
Kill yourself.
>>
>>81516704

I must insist.

>>81516511
>>
>>81516804
It's definitely a statement, and even if it's mean to be insulting doesn't detract from its validity, because it's apparent to everyone you have bad taste and are in fact contributing to the decline in quality of this website
>>
>>81516588
I'm just going to assume there's nothing coming, confirming the movie isn't art, but just another superhero flick
>>
>>81516916
>everyone
lmao

Do you think this board is your ally?
>>
>>81514639
>white people getting Oscars after Leo's year

>ever

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
>>
>>81516993
No, but I know you're a faggot
>>
>>81516993
Nobody is on your side
>>
>>81517180
>>81517153
>all these half-assed replies
You merely adopted this board. I was born in it, Molded by it.mI did not see a sane post until zi was a man, and then to me it was nothing but Blinding!
>>
>>81517222
>gets called out
>hides behind memes
nice digits though
>>
>>81517266
>called out
baseless assumptions make nothing but shitposts

>nice digits
th-thanks pseudo satan
>>
>>81516357

Why are you responding seriously to bait? Are you a retard? Are you new?
>>
>>81517295
I make more money than you and fuck girls. You don't.

:::drops mic:::

Don't even bother replying to me, I'm already gone.
>>
>>81514879
>>81514838
>>81514783
What the fuck?
>>
It makes more than a year and I still cant believe how bad this movie was. So many things shoehorned, so many characters having to be stupid for it to work, so many comic book plotlines I mean fuck.

It deserved a lower score
>>
>>81516358
>there's probably a lot of overlap between the two groups though
I never thought of that but totally agree
>>
>>81517683
It hadn't occured to me either until I made the post
>>
>>81517591
>He browses /tv/ but hasn't seen koty 2016
>>
>>81517753
I'm waiting until it ends up on Netflix or something. At this point I need to see how bad it is myself.
>>
>>81517582
*teleports behind you*
>>
>>81514639
Ding dong
Its was shit
>>
File: 1477000946476.jpg (92KB, 495x820px) Image search: [Google]
1477000946476.jpg
92KB, 495x820px
>>81515684
>tfw you bought the ultimate edition on Amazon Prime and have no regrets
>>
File: 1476612060725.jpg (23KB, 411x484px) Image search: [Google]
1476612060725.jpg
23KB, 411x484px
>>81517595
>being so mad about the kino BvS you can't stop bitching about it a year later
>being so absolutely buttblasted that a 27% on RT is not. low. enough.
>>
>>81517774

Just watch it on a free streaming site.
>>
>>81518092
Like a plebian? The smallest I'll watch my movies is on my tv screen.
>>
Because he didn't play an *alcoholic* super-villain.
Otherwise, he would've been a dead cinch.
>>81514639
>>
>>81518111

Well then you'll have to pay for it. What's it gonna be?
>>
>>81518255
The waiting game.
>>
>>81518111
Torrent the uncompressed blu ray you fuck
>>
>>81518508
I don't know what that means
>>
>>81517941

Im not mad just still shocked about how bad it was I just didnt thought it was possible to fuck it up that bad
>>
>>81518111
>torrent the bluray
>stream to your smart tv or just use an hdmi cord if you're a pleb who doesn't have one

You have no excuse other than being a soccer mom tier retard who can't into basic technology.
>>
>>81519455
Smart tv?
Hdmi cord?
>>
>>81516072
Stop using words you don't know the meaning of in an attempt to fit in. You're literal human garbage.
>>
>>81514639
Because it was a miscast that should have went to Michael Cera. Sort of like every movie Jesse whatever is in
>>
>>81519484
>Hdmi cord?

Yes, a requirement for virtually every TV in existence made in the past 10 years. At least be consistent in your lame ass bait attempts, if you can work Netflix on a TV then you know what smart tvs and hdmi is.
>>
>>81518562
Me too. And I actually liked Snyder before he caped.
>>
>>81519524
You mean Jay Baruchel
>>
>>81519675

I liked 300, found Sucker Punch so bad its good, MoS was cool, so all im for Snyder shit, but yeah bvs just really didnt delivered
>>
>>81516779
>>81516982

I'm still typing it all up.
>>
>>81519524

Why are people talking about how Michael Cera is a better version of Jesse Eisenberg. It's the other way around.
>>
>>81514639

Peepee
>>
>>81520101
Jesse, literally nobody likes you. Zombieland could be an easy 9/10 with Cera . Social network might be watchable
>>
>>81518538
https://rarbg.to/torrent/sievrgb
>>
>>81514639
if Marisa Tomei got one he could too
>>
File: BvS.jpg (124KB, 257x380px) Image search: [Google]
BvS.jpg
124KB, 257x380px
>>81520052
Here's the first installment,

It's taken me better than a year to put all of this together, but I think I'm finally ready to say all of this for the record. I'm a comics fan, an *old* comics fan by the standards of this site's demographics, so my knowledge isn't only practical, it's experiential. I was alive and reading a lot of what many here think of as comics history. My father taught me how to read from his own comics collection and the legacy that he passed on to me was more than just some musty old crates. It was a love of these characters and a love for myths, legends, and tales. In the paragraphs that follow, I'm going to do my best to explain why I believe that what Zack Snyder and the creators behind the DC Cinematic Universe are doing is not only a service to the fans, but to the spirit that lies at the heart of the myths themselves.

Before I begin in earnest, I should take a moment to point out that there is a lot going on in these movies. Jeremy Irons, the actor that plays the role of Alfred Pennyworth, went on record saying that he thought the project(BvS) was, in his words, "a bit overstuffed," and I think of that as a masterpiece of understatement, as I don't believe there are many people who could possibly appreciate every last aspect of what Snyder's unofficial Superman trilogy is accomplishing - a modern perspective on the characters that simultaneously honors their roots, brings them forward into a new century, summarizes their comics history, and explores the nature of myths and gods, how they are born, and all this presented within the framework of an allegory that's telling us not only what our responsibilities are to the "alien," but also what that alien's responsibilities are to us.
>>
File: Batman - Early.jpg (71KB, 379x582px) Image search: [Google]
Batman - Early.jpg
71KB, 379x582px
>>81522039

It may seem strange, but in order to talk about Superman, first I'm going to have to talk about the Batman. Bruce Wayne, the most "mortal" of DC's core heroes, is also the most fundamental. He embodies the human ideal - the very outer limits of what man is capable of accomplishing by his own will. It is this quality that makes him so resonant with the public, and it also hearkens back to an earlier type of hero - the pulp heroes of the earlier twentieth century, characters like Zorro, Doc Savage, the Shadow, all of them are present in Bruce, and while the Batman's creation wasn't until some years after the debut of Superman, he has long served as the representative for the pulp hero - the man who triumphs through a combination of resourcefulness and determination
Bruce has gone through three major phases over his long comics history. In his earliest appearances, he is virtually indistinguishable from his earlier pulp counterparts, simply a masked, crime-fighting, gun-wielding vigilante with a bat motif, and while both he and his sidekick Robin did maintain something of a cavalier attitude in regards to killing, this phase of their existence didn't last very long in the grand scheme. With the advent of the Comics Code Authority in the mid-50s, killing became largely a thing of the past for the Batman and virtually all other comics heroes, deaths typically being presented as the fault of the victim or through consequences that the hero could do nothing to prevent. It was through this era, the Silver Age, where the hero's depiction reached the height of camp, almost as if the writers, shackled by their publishers and the CCA, were mocking the restrictions under which they were forced to work.
>>
>>81520493

>Social Network might be watchable

Slow down there, anon.
>>
File: Cyclops.jpg (24KB, 236x335px) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops.jpg
24KB, 236x335px
>>81522069
Then came the Bronze Age, which saw an increasing amount of violence as the CCA relaxed its restrictions. This era introduced characters that could only be described as hyper-violent, such as Wolverine and the anti-hero the Punisher, and as the violence increased, and the stories became more mature, the age range of comics readers began to broaden. These were no longer strictly stories for children and comics creators reacted to this in a variety of ways. Most notably, Alan Moore gave us his ground-breaking commentary on the dangers of letting our comic-book fantasies escape the page in "Watchmen" and Frank Miller crafted a tale wherein two of comics' most iconic characters came to blows over their differing ideologies - the story he titled "The Dark Knight Returns."

In the tale, we're introduced to an older Bruce Wayne, forced into retirement along with his fellow heroes and witnessing as his beloved city is overrun by a violent street gang. It is this rising tide of violent crime that rouses the Batman into action and into eventual conflict with the Man of Steel. This is a Bruce Wayne striking back against what he rightly labels as injustice and forced into conflict with a Superman who has sold out to the government, compromised his most core principles in service to what he sees as a greater good, a Superman who no longer fights for justice. He is the troubled, reluctant villain of the tale. The street gang that prompts Bruce's response calls itself "The Mutants," and they all wear visors tellingly reminiscent of a certain famous mutant character.
>>
>>81522039
>>81522069
>>81522138
It's a fucking superhero movie, not the Odyssey or othello or some shit, grow the fuck up, BvS will never be what you want it to be no matter how long this meme is forced
>>
File: dark-knight-returns-mutants.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dark-knight-returns-mutants.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>81522138
As the story unfolds, the compromised Superman is alluded to having relaxed his restrictions concerning violence(having crippled the Green Arrow) and killing(shown in the battle of Corto Maltese). In pursuit of justice, Bruce edges closer and closer to overstepping his own line. He is depicted shooting an anonymous gang member and crippling the Joker before at the close of the story, relenting and allowing his vanquished opponent, Superman, to live. The tale is a beautifully crafted allegory concerning what Miller saw as our heroes becoming increasingly compromised as we as a society more readily embraced increasingly violent heroes as well as an ideological war between factions at work within American society - the American people, their ideals largely uncompromised(as represented by the Batman) and their government(represented by Superman), who insist on seeing themselves as policeman to the world while rationalizing all the "necessary evils" it takes to fill that role. It is a dark, grim tale whose message was largely lost upon its audience, as it, along with Moore's "Watchmen" birthed what we now view as the "modern age" of comics.

These stories, told in the mid-80s, shaped much of what was to come in the 90s. Their messages simultaneously embraced and ignored, we saw the psychologies of the characters becoming increasingly complicated as creators embraced the concepts Moore and Miller introduced to the genre(or at least made famous) - such things as "socially acceptable violence" and "the hero as sublimated villain." The 90s saw the culmination of the trend that began in the Bronze Age of the 70s, with our heroes becoming increasingly flawed, in many cases barely being distinguishable from those whom they fought. Guns! So, so many guns, and in the midst of all this "grit" and "realism," Superman died.
>>
>>81522465
Yeah, they're all just tales meant for children, Nothing to learn here.
>>
>>81515937
You can understand a movie and not like it.
>>
>>81522513
I didn't say they were for children, that's your projection. There are a good number of superhero movies that are above average at least in their own right, BvS is not one of them
>>
>the only time they could ever allude to the classic Mother Box PING
>they don't

FUCK YOU RIGHT IN THE ASS SNYDER
>>
>>81519455
What stream sites even have an option for streaming to your TV? I'd like to start doing that if possible.
>>
File: doomsday-superman.jpg (241KB, 768x885px) Image search: [Google]
doomsday-superman.jpg
241KB, 768x885px
>>81522470
Superman, a terrible fit for the 90s era if there ever was one, suffered declining sales across all his titles, so his creators did what it took to boost them back to something respectable. Instead of compromising the character's ideals, they killed him. To be truthful, it wasn't even all that well-crafted a story, but to any long-time fan, it still hit like a ton of bricks. The villain of the tale, Doomsday, was as one-dimensional as villains come - just a killing machine with no back story, no personality, just a plot device, really. The story arc didn't tell us anything new about the characters, didn't fundamentally change any of the players. It didn't really do anything other than what it was intended to do - boost sales and give them an opportunity to introduce some new characters. I know that sounds incredibly cynical, but then again, it was an incredibly cynical time.

Throughout all this, the Batman continued to grow in the public consciousness. Having enjoyed box office success courtesy of Burton's movies, he had quietly started to step into Superman's spot in the American psyche as our representative hero. He was dark, he was broody, he was troubled and noble at the same time, but most importantly of all for that era, he was "real." But would he kill? No. At least not directly, not even in his films. He killed, sure, but in the films it was always by means of some secondary device, never a weapon in his hand. He's blown thugs up, knocked them down stairwells, and on one particularly memorable occasion he decided he didn't have to save someone. In the comics, however, they took a decidedly different route.
>>
File: X-Bat.jpg (31KB, 236x346px) Image search: [Google]
X-Bat.jpg
31KB, 236x346px
>>81523290
The Batman suffered his own death in 90s, albeit in a much more symbolic fashion - Knightfall. The long and short of the story has Bruce Wayne being crippled by the villain Bane and choosing a successor for his role as the Batman in the person of a young man by the name of Jean Paul Valley. Valley(also known as Azrael) was a programmed assassin for a radical religious order whom Bruce had helped de-program. Over his tenure as the Batman, Valley's conditioning intruded more and more to the point where he was rationalizing killing to himself, much to the horror of his partner, Robin, whom he increasingly alienated. Everything about Valley's story arc right down to his morphing appearance as the Batman, was commentary on the state of contemporary comics. It was a way for the Batman's creators to have their cake and eat it, too. Now they had a Batman who embraced the attitudes of the time without compromising Bruce's ideals, all while throwing subtle jabs at their esteemed competitos. In other words, whether or not Bruce Wayne has ever killed in comics after the Golden Age, the "Batman" most assuredly has.

That brings us to the Batman's next major appearances on the big screen - Nolan's trilogy. This was the Batman at his most deconstructed, stripped of all hint of camp, and presented in very "real-world" terms. This was, in essence, the hypothetical of "what if a billionaire really tried this?" He's extremely grounded, and while not entirely without its comic book elements, the trilogy places far more emphasis on this Batman existing in our world, or at least one virtually indistinguishable from our own. In other words, Nolan's Batman doesn't exist in a comic book world.
>>
>>81514639

nice bait
>>
>>81514879
Now I understand why DCucks love this movie.
>>
File: SuperSolar.jpg (35KB, 634x407px) Image search: [Google]
SuperSolar.jpg
35KB, 634x407px
>>81524545
Now with all that said, at long last, we get to Snyder's films.

Man of Steel introduces Superman into what appears to be this same setting. It's the "bat-world" of Nolan's trilogy, with similarly muted colors(even more so, if anything) and no hint of anything other than the mundane about it except for Superman himself. This Superman's origin as a First Contact scenario, and how it plays out over the course of Man of Steel has us seeing the first hints of the answers to the questions that both Perry White and Jonathan Kent harbor in their hearts - how does the world react to a Superman? How does the world react to the knowledge that not only is there intelligent life "out there," it's right here, and oh, by the way, it's superior to us in almost every conceivable way? What happens when the people of Earth come face to face with such a god-like being? And foremost in Jonathan's mind - "How do you prepare a man to stand against that reaction?" And over the course of both films, we see people reacting to him more as a god than as a hero. This world, refreshingly, does not take the existence of an invincible, god-like alien in stride, and in that way, Snyder touches on the themes present in Moore's "Watchmen," Clark, however, is not Dr, Manhattan, nor is he intended to be. While Manhattan is barely maintaining a grasp on his humanity, Clark is all too human.
>>
File: Superman - Jonathan.jpg (476KB, 1527x1367px) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Jonathan.jpg
476KB, 1527x1367px
>>81526029
As a quick aside, I've noticed that Snyder often deals with things in tandem - using overt examples of symbolism and metaphor to alert his viewers to the presence of more subtle instances of the same. Jonathan Kent's characterization is the prime example of this, using the character to strike very specific emotional chords with the audience in order to elicit very specific reactions. Jonathan's scenes serve as a primer for how Bruce's character is used in BvS - using the dissonance between what is presented and what you believe should be to emphasize the point of what is. MoS is fraught with other instances of scenes and characters that serve as foreshadowings of things that are expanded upon in BvS, as examples, I cite the bus scene that serves as a perfect microcosm of the relationship between Clark and the people of the world in BvS, and Air Force Colonel Hardy serving as a precursor to Bruce's arc in BvS, engaging "all targets" from a distance, only to look Clark in the eye mere minutes later to declare, "This man is not our enemy."
>>
>>81514639
He still might. BvS was so far ahead of its time that it won't be eligible for the Oscars until 2020. With hindsight, the academy will realize they were foolish to not shower BvS with Oscars.
>>
>>81525329

For the qt or for the jolly rancher?
>>
>>81514879
I think that's the theatre professor at my school
>>
File: Superman - Codex.jpg (16KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Codex.jpg
16KB, 285x285px
>>81526181
What I'd like to talk about now is what I consider to be one of the most subtle and masterful uses of metaphor I've ever seen, cape movie or otherwise - the Codex.

It is the heart of Krypton's genetics program. It is their population control as well as their sole accepted means of furthering their species. It is more than that, as is revealed in the words and actions of both Zod and Faora; it is their religion. The Kryptonians seem to have embraced their own evolution as their religion, effectively taking science and turning it into a object of worship. It is worth noting that the word "codex" typically denotes an ancient manuscript and is frequently associated with religious texts.
>>
File: 01-lucy-death-hominin.jpg (798KB, 2048x1412px) Image search: [Google]
01-lucy-death-hominin.jpg
798KB, 2048x1412px
>>81527115
Clark's father Jor-El takes the Codex and infuses it into him, making it a part of him without his even being aware of it. It is the Codex that Zod comes to Earth seeking. It is his sole interest in Kal.

Zod wants the Codex because to him, Krypton has no future without it. He sees everything filtered through the prism of his "book." Mankind, Kal, the life native to our planet, all equally irrelevant in the eyes of Zod, because there is no place for any of us in his book. He doesn't just need our planet to build a new Krypton. He needs our biomass, and in his own words says, "A foundation has to be built on something."

To him, we don't just live in squalor, we are a part of it. It his inability to see anything outside the context of his "book" that dooms Zod - his intolerance and unwillingness to compromise that brand him as a fanatic.

The message is clear - be careful what you worship. Anything can become a god, even science.

While fighting Kal in Smallville, Faora utters the line "Evolution always wins." This picture is the recovered remains of "Lucy," the australopithecus afarensis specimen, the so-called "missing link" between humanity and other primates. Essentially, it's used in the film to represent the point where rationality and science "won out" over faith and belief. So even when science "triumphs" over the gods, it is in danger of becoming a "god" in its own right.
>>
I actually liked his performance as Lex. It wasn't in line with the comic character, and the studio clearly wanted a bit of the Heathe Joker in him, but I thought he was enjoyable to watch. Between this and Social Network, Eisenberg should pursue more unhinged/unorthodox characters. He fits them well.
>>
File: Lex-Luthor-halo.jpg (43KB, 800x333px) Image search: [Google]
Lex-Luthor-halo.jpg
43KB, 800x333px
>>81527970
It is in this context that the bulk of religious imagery of all stripes begins making sense when applied to Superman. The people of Earth are looking at him and seeing a god - sometimes a savior, sometimes a sun god, sometimes a sky god. This use of imagery to illustrate perception versus reality even extends to others, as it does to Lex at the charity dinner in BvS, where we see that in the right atmosphere, even Lex can look like a saint.

But as becomes increasingly clear over the course of BvS, their world is not our world. It is a place where our myths live and just maybe where perceptions can become reality.
>>
>>81515937
I agree with this but still think Eisenberg was a bad Lex. I get what Snyder was going for but Eisenberg wasnt' fit to play the character.

He's a decent Alexander Luthor (which is technically who he was) but really we deserved a proper Lex Luthor for that movie
>>
>>81515354
Its almost like it was a bad movie

>Hated by critics
>Hated by fans
>Mediocre to general audiences
>Maligned by other people in the industry.

Wew.
>>
>>81516357
BvS is ultimately just capeshit, yeah, but it's high level capeshit that's the most well thought out along the first 2 Nolan Batman movies and Watchmen
>>
>>81516511
An insult is a statement retard. Practically any cogent sentence is.
>>
carry on analysis bro
enjoying your posts
>>
File: Lex - Lab coat.jpg (935KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Lex - Lab coat.jpg
935KB, 2880x1800px
>>81528419
On the subject of Lex, this latest incarnation, masterfully acted by Jesse Eisenberg, pays homage to Lex's rootsIthe lab coat-wearing mad scientist), his corporate fatcat phase(via referencing his father, the founder of LexCorp), and brings an update to his image. Most importantly, it re-interprets Lex in terms that the 21st Century can relate to. Over the long years of his fictional life, Luthor has served as the perfect foil for Superman. Whereas the Man of Steel represents the ideals we're striving toward, Lex embodies the things we fear and hate about ourselves. Over the decades, that has meant mad scientists with Doomsday weapons, swindlers, Corporate psychopaths, all of which Jesse's Lex most certainly is, but he's adds another layer to the character. This one is the tech mogul who knows all our secrets.
Lex's greed centers on power in the form of knowledge. And the knowledge that he finds shatters him. Eisenberg's easy charm from the opening scene vanishes early on in the film and as to when he's letting his mask slip intentionally or not is up to individual interpretation; but as we later discover in a backwards reveal, whatever it is that Lex learned from the Kryptonian scoutship, it broke him in some very interesting ways. As he almost lets slip at the party:

"Knowledge is power and I am -"

The most powerful man alive.
>>
File: Batman - block.jpg (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Batman - block.jpg
70KB, 1920x1080px
>>81529274
As I mentioned earlier, the Batman is very much a representative of his pulp inspirations, and that facet of his character is quite present in the film. Bruce's career pre-dates the coming of the Superman in a way that pulp heroes predated the debut of the superhero. Bruce finds himself threatened by what a superbeing represents in terms of a vigilante such as himself and even if it is just the way he rationalizes his vendetta, he certainly makes mention of how important it is to his legacy. He's seeking vengeance, definitely, but there's that subtle strain of metaphor even here. A superhero renders their pulp predecessors obsolete in much the way a superhuman does in Moore's "Watchmen," but that's not Bruce's ultimate fate. Snyder and his team, wisely in my opinion, decided to not let Bruce duck out on his symbol's "sins" of the 90s and put killing back on the table for the character. This hearkens back not only to his origins, but also serves as a nod to what became of his image under "Azrael's" care.

It is primarily through Bruce's discoveries in regards to Lex's information and their ties to Diana that we learn a bit of their world's secret history, and Bruce starts to learn that Clark isn't the only "god" out there. Our pulp hero starts to realize that the veins of myth run deeper and richer than he ever had reason to suspect.
>>
File: Superman - Hanged Man.jpg (13KB, 252x259px) Image search: [Google]
Superman - Hanged Man.jpg
13KB, 252x259px
>>81529864
And finally, that brings us to Clark and his sacrifice.

In stark contrast to his death arc in the comics, here the "Death of Superman" actually impacts the story, both in obvious as well as very subtle ways. Not only did the creative team give the "devil" his due by making Lex pivotal in Clark's death, but the event serves to be the sacrifice that heralds the dawn of a new Heroic Age. Above and beyond that, it also serves as a slap on the wrist for comic book fans. I've mentioned before that the religious imagery throughout both films is Snyder's means of conveying when the people of Clark's world are looking at him and thinking of him as a god, but here in the finale, the imagery is almost certainly intended for the audience. While one could argue that it's to impress upon us how impactful it is to Bruce, I don't believe that's the case. I think it's Snyder chiding us for abandoning Superman, for letting our most iconic hero die. In other words, I believe the message to be that Superman died for the sins of comics fans. Comics writers, too.
>>
File: Brimstone_0005.jpg (470KB, 1174x885px) Image search: [Google]
Brimstone_0005.jpg
470KB, 1174x885px
>>81530361

Sidenote: Not only does Clark's death inspire the creation of the League, it serves as the catalyst for the creation of the Suicide Squad, too. While I'm not a huge fan of that film, it does do a number of things right, and among those things is expand on the world-building accomplished in BvS. Most fans are aware of the events from the Squad's Ostrander run that got incorporated into the film, but something I don't think I've heard anyone mention is that their origin didn't take place in their first issue. It took place in a miniseries called "Legends," and the first thing they ever fought was a sentient Apokoliptan weapon named Brimstone.

It's subtle, but the thread is there. The Enchantress was never out to destroy humanity. She was just trying to take our new gods away from us, the idols we worship called technology. I have every confidence that we'll soon find out that she and her brother were leftover relics of the Ancient War.
>>
>>81530822
As time moves forward, I believe these things will become clearer to all who watch these films. They're not "missing" messages. They're giving us brand new ones, and artfully using events from the lore to do it. What I've done here with this analysis is interpret this film from its specific comics history angle. That's far from all that's there. There's still much more that could be said about the story's allegorical components, but I'll leave that for another time. We're getting a front row seat to a world where the myths are all real, and they're in the midst of waking from a long sleep.

By embracing the very deepest lore of the comics, they're not cheapening what they bring to the screen, and fans like me will never be able to heap enough praise on the beautiful lunatics that are making it all happen.
>>
File: SB.jpg (47KB, 592x592px) Image search: [Google]
SB.jpg
47KB, 592x592px
Thanks Superbro.
Good reads are always welcome.
>>
File: Supercheck.gif (2MB, 245x360px) Image search: [Google]
Supercheck.gif
2MB, 245x360px
>>81531397
My pleasure.
>>
>>81531706
Bookmarking this archive so that whenever some normie faggot tells me that BvS is trash, I can hit em with this.
>>
>>81514639

He didn't get an Oscar because he was complete shit. It's one of the worst casting decisions in modern cinema. What the fuck were they thinking casting him? He looks like he should be working at Verizon fixing my fucking cell phone. Not playing one of the most well know comic book villains ever.
>>
>>81532044
By what, boring them to death with autistic Sonic the Hedgehog fan level horseshit? Yeah, you'll get em good, Pedro.
>>
>>81533060
How fucking old are you?
>>
>>81533092
Old enough not to be impressed by kids on 4chan talking about BvS like it's anything but garbage. You'll get there one day, champ.
>>
>>81514639
Notice the way the bars press his brow upward in a subtle suggestion of horns? I thought that was a nice touch.
>>
>>81533124
I'm old enough to be your dad. I might *be* your fucking dad.
>>
>>81533185
>t. kid
Last (You), don't spend it all in one place. ;)
>>
>>81533269
I know what Billy Beer is. How about you?
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.