[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medium problem with biopic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7408.jpg (22KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7408.jpg
22KB, 211x239px
Suppose you make a biopic about a painter, who is only relevant because of his painting.

But the problem is that the movie as a medium cannot depict the awesomeness of paintings. you can only make a melodrama of the life of the painter.

So in fact you can only make biopic about athletes or politicians right? Because their works are naturally fitting for movies.
>>
>>81504213
no clue, but i do have a question:
is it bi-op-ic or bio-pic? i don't think i've ever actually heard it said aloud.
>>
>>81504244
Bio pic I suppose but I don't know
>>
>>81504244
bio + pic :)
>>
You can depict the life of an apprentice, or the studio life. You can show two painters working at a canvas over wine for example, which lends itself to dialogue.
>>
>>81504434
But how is it different from two fictional painters talking and working? How is it related to his Vision and Masterpiece?

There is no way to present the beauty of painting in a movie.

There isn't even a way to present beauty of music in a movie, since there is now way to fit a full complete song into a movie
>>
>>81504213
biopics themselves are useless, its basically the wikipedia article put on screen
>>
>>81504244
I've read it as bi-op-ic for years. Then last week I heard someone say bio-pic and I realized the error of my ways. Good thing I don't ever actually talk to anyone or I may have looked foolish heh.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 300x301px
>>81504650
>There isn't even a way to present beauty of music in a movie, since there is now way to fit a full complete song into a movie
Oh well I beg to differ.

https://youtu.be/OI3Bcgh4Jko
>>
>>81504847
y-yeah, that's g-g-good
>>
Mr. Turner was GOAT
>>
>>81504213
You pick a narrative structure and shape the outcome to fit that.

For example, in van gogh's case you could do a "riches to rags and then back to riches + hubris = rags again"

or you could do a "outstanding genius is constantly at odds with their nemesis" and pick renoir or some artist they had maybe passed on the street one time.

or you could do "tortured X is plagued by Z and Y and eventually succumbs to blah"

literally anything. You can make a story about virtually anyone into virtually anything, as long as you have some pictures to show on the way.
>>
>>81504213
Are you referring to "Lust for Life"? the Vincent van Gogh biopic with kirk Douglas because I was just wondering if that was worth watching.

>>81504726
Some (like above) are taken from a fictionalized novel of the known facts, if that helps us remember the significant lessons then I'm all for it.
>>
>>81504650
Why couldn't you just stick a song in a movie? The song writing process, that's something that'd be difficult to accurately represent in a movie
>>
>>81505001
well I understand that but how do you show van gogh's paintings then? His style wasn't photorealistic.

>>81505007
I don't know that biopic I just pick a not photorealistic artist for example

>>81505012
Well ok maybe you can put a song into a movie, like a musical. But musicals is songs that are tailored for them.
But real performance of real singers are long and distracting for the flow of movies. The Ray Charles biopic and Johnny Cash biopic for examples don't use their full songs. They only use the famous parts of their songs.
>>
>>81505340
>well I understand that but how do you show van gogh's paintings then? His style wasn't photorealistic
Even Doctor Who of all things managed this. It's not hard.
>>
File: IMG_7411.jpg (98KB, 695x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7411.jpg
98KB, 695x350px
By the way Tim's Vermeer is a great movie. It educated me on how painters worked. So if biopic depict how a painter back then actually worked I would appreciate that
>>
>But the problem is that the movie as a medium cannot depict the awesomeness of paintings.

Yes it can. Like this:

https://youtu.be/47h6pQ6StCk
>>
>>81505878
Damn that looks interesting.

However it's actually an animated movie not a movie or painting either.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.