[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Void

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: The-Void.jpg (16KB, 660x367px) Image search: [Google]
The-Void.jpg
16KB, 660x367px
>Muh LOVECRAFT
>MUH TENTACLES
>m-muh cosmic horror
>muh At the Mountains of Madness

>"I was working on a movie at Pinewood, and I was on a floor right beneath Guillermo del Toro, who was doing At the Mountains of Madness, before it went down. And so I remember trying to sneak around trying to see things, and I had heard him say he was going to be doing Lovecraft in a way that hadn't been done before. That sort of got the wheels in my mind working, trying to think of what that might be. So that was sort of where the imagery was birthed. All of this stuff relating to pyramids and triangles is left ambiguous, for the audience to interpret as they would, intentionally."

Stop it. You probably never ever read any single he wrote.
>>
File: 1441744524492.jpg (107KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1441744524492.jpg
107KB, 400x400px
>>81504094
>never ever read any single he wrote.

I'm more into doubles to be honest
>>
>>81504094
I thought the movie was pretty good. Though towards the end it just gets ridiculous
>>
File: house.jpg (131KB, 333x509px) Image search: [Google]
house.jpg
131KB, 333x509px
>Lovecraft
Literally the most pleb tier writer in a genre that is falsely call his by retards.
>>
>>81504597
>he doesnt suck lovecrafts cock
:)
>>
"lets mix together a bunch of stuff that looks cool", the flick

the lines were so fucking uninspired
>>
>>81504597

William Hope Hodgson is infinitely worse. Dude couldn't write for shit, practically every sentence is a run-on broken up by semi-colons. It'd be bearable if the story was worth a damn...

... But it's about fucking pig men monsters. OH GOD, SO SPOOKY, FUCKING PIG MEN.
>>
>>81504597
It's easy to see his faults because most of the stuff you can read from himwasn't published in his lifetime and wasn't meant to be published.

Fuck, even Dream in the Witch House wasn't good enough to be published, according to HPL himself, and a friend of his went behind his back and had it published for him.

Guy had a high standard for his work and writers fanboys shat on it by having every little thig he ever wrote, no matter how shitty, published after his death.

I mad. I really loved Charles Dexter Ward.
>>
>>81504597
Great book. Algernon Blackwood has some good ones too. The Willows is a personal fave.
>>
>>81504745
I agree. I like earlier writers a lot more than the 1900s crowd. Le Fanu. Machen. Blackwood.

That being said, Clark Ashton Smith is pretty decent.
>>
>>81504759
I'm more of a Wendigo fag myself. The Willows is good though.
>>
>>81504094
I really wanted to like this movie, and I did love some aspects and scenes from it, but they either needed to go more into the cult and doctor stuff or steer further away from it. The latter is what I'd prefer in these types of movies, just drop us in with random characters that have no idea what is going on along with the audience. They stayed in the middle too much not giving really any story to the cult and just barebones "ah this guy is evil cause his daughter died and he made a cult or something" for the doctor. Oh and the policeman is tied into it with his wife. Right as the movie was amping up and I started to get more into the doctor and his daughter the shit ended. Wasn't a great movie, but I don't regret watching it. I've wasted time on way worse. Some fantastic gore and creature work. I wanted more of the... trippy (for lack of a better word from my dumb mind) stuff like with the random flashes of flesh and space. They kept showing that space clouds rolling and I was really hoping for a reveal of something coming out of it. Unless that was the pyramid in the void, but that felt rather lackluster and an odd place to end. Maybe we'll get a bigger budget sequel that doesn't follow the same people and goes more into the void stuff. The basement scene with all the mutilated people was rad especially that guy slamming his head on the pole, even though that made it make no sense that guns and axes could kill the things.
>>
>tfw no Dream Cycle cinematic universe

I know Dream Quest is regarded as a low-tier Dunsany tale, but fuck it, I love it.

I want my cat army to fight my battles for me and then watch as they relax by chasing leaves in the forest
>>
>what is Quatermass 2

Go watch it, Cthulhufags. You're welcome.
>>
>>81504920
>I know Dream Quest is regarded as a low-tier Dunsany tale, but fuck it, I love it.

By who?
Dream Quest is highly regarded I've heard
>>
File: Providence 10-022.jpg (590KB, 1440x2213px) Image search: [Google]
Providence 10-022.jpg
590KB, 1440x2213px
When will someone make a movie out of top tier Lovecraft-kino?
>>
Lovecraft is a pretty shit writer to be honest. His books are just a lot of build up to nothing or a retarded twist. He certainly didn't get popular for his great writing.
>>
I like poe
>>
>>81504984
By Lovecraft himself. He hated it. He tought it was just a Dunsany hack job.
>>
>>81505034
He's actually a really good writer. He's an average plotter, but his writing is really good.

He does suffer from the Tolkien syndrom though. Tolkien would go on and on about nature shit like leaves and the form of a branch for pages on end. Lovecraft was the same about architecture.
>>
>>81505034
>twist
>Anon doesn't know that he usually tells the reader how it ends in the opening paragraph

You've never read any Lovecraft, have you?
>>
>>81505094
DUDE QUEEF RAVEN LMAO
>>
>>81505094
He's alrite.

I like the Bronte sisters. Wuthering Heights is my jam.
>>
>>81505094
Poe int he loo
>>
>>81504984
TFW we will never get a The White Ship short movie.
>>
I got a few hours to kill, this thing worth a watch?
>>
>>81504094
>>81505020
What's with those Lovecraft-inspired stories and pregnancy themes mixed together? There were barely any women in his works.
>>
>>81505303
Lets be reddit.

Lovecraft: INSANE NIGGERS, INDESCRIBABLE TENTACLES AND SHIT

Poe: RAVEN BURIED ALIVE LOL

Stoker: MUH CARMILLA FANFICTION

Algernon Blackwood: CANNIBALISM AND SAD TREE BRANCHES

Arthur Machen: INDESCRIBABLE INSANITY KILL YOURSELF OR I'LL TELL
>>
>>81505565
Because, whether women were in his stories or not, descent, hereditary natures, and genetics are a huge part of his standard themes.

Pregnancy in Lovecraft inspired works is just a natural extension of building stories around his works.
>>
File: 121578437375.png (46KB, 1200x1314px) Image search: [Google]
121578437375.png
46KB, 1200x1314px
>>81505596
>>
>>81505565
Child birth is horrendous so it is easy to mix it with pretty much any horror theme
>>
>>81505787
There's even a tentacle involved in childbirth. And a "shoggoth", if you include the afterbirth.
>>
>>81505816
Welp. This ruined the miracle of child birth....
>>
>TFW 4 Lovecraft threads open at once
What is this madness?
>>
>>81505855
It was ruined when Alan Moore had a Deep One rape and then taste the piss of a captive woman to see if she was prego, desu.
>>
>>81505303
I was thinking more masque of the red death even tho that might not be very cosmic
>>
>>81504597
>not liking lovecraft and his cat niggerman
>>
>>81505942
s....source?
>>
>>81505903
a studio could be scoping out how /tv/ would react to a Lovecraft movie.
I actually believe studios look at 4chan and reddit for how a movie might be received
>>
>>81504094
>MUH MUHS
>>
>>81504094
Didn't feel very lovecraftian to me, desu, more like a generic horror with lots of gore, barely scary. The action was going way too fast, we didn't have enough time to get to know any of the characters (and care for them), also there were too many ideas mixed together and the story felt like a mess, touching many subjects but expanding none.
One line about other gods doesn't make it lovecraftian.
Gold star for practical effects though.
>>
>>81506010
Does that mean we might get Lovecraft kino soon? Somebody see if there's Lovecraft shit being posted on the Reddit or whatever
>>
>>81506010
doesn't fucking matter where they look, they'll fuck up making the movie regardless because "muh safe bet"
>>
>>81506004
some shitty comics mini-series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonomicon
>>
>>81505997
He didn't name the cat. It was given to him.
>>
>>81504757
What the fuck are you talking about? I just researched this for 2 minutes and see that you are full of shit, almost everything by him was published in his lifetime, certainly all his more known works.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/publish.aspx
>>
>>81506010
You have no idea.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.03452v1.pdf
>>
>>81506110
Don't get your hopes up.

I was waiting for a good carmilla adaptation and the best we got was 2 college AU (Carmilla web series and The Moth Diaries)

Imagine angsty edgy teen Herbert West battling the forces of evil while going to Miskatonic High School.

That's what you'll get.
>>
>>81506304
I can dream
>>
>>81506203
This is an amazing series and I highly reccommend it, not reading a summary off of wiki fucking pedia
>>
>>81506410
It's not good. I actually own that shit and the series before it.
>>
This is better than The Void
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
>>
>>81506512
As do I, and you're right, it's not good, it's incredible. The newest series is even better.
>>
is there a cat in the movie named Nigger-man?
>>
This movie was objectively 6.5/10.
This is the objectively correct rating.
>>
>>81506605
No. There a cat called Niger Man though.
>>
>>81506229
If someone gave me a cat named niggerman.
>I'd rename the fucking cat.
>>
>>81504094
>Author says that symbolism is intentionally open to interpretation
>Stop interpreting it, you idiots!
>>
>>81506942
Howard was very racist when he was younger. In his early to mid 20s he was /pol/ incarnate. Except that irl he was still polite and didn't bash niggers. Not that he could hae, he was a weakling.

He probaly thought it was a good name for an animal.
>>
>>81507027
How can symbolism be open to interpretation?

If it's really there, it was put there for a reason. If it's not, it's just the audience projecting.
>>
>>81507083
Easily, open to interpretation =/= meaningless
Though there's two ways it can go
Lynch says the same thing about his works and it gets audience brains tingling forever
An then there's Evangelion way - putting symbolism as a filler to masquerade shalowness of the initial premise
>>
>>81507198
imagery=/=symbolism
>>
I've read Lovecraft's complete fiction twice and I find the need to hide it in case my interest is misconstrued as some hipster/reddit >le Cthulhu circle jerk
>>
>>81504094
The way I interpreted the triangles was quite simple - it wasn't the doorway to the void, it was the doorway to our own dimension. The void could only seep in if someone opened the door from the inside.
>>
>>81505034
>He certainly didn't get popular for his great writing.
So what did he get popular for you cretin? His instagram account?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.