[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to science fiction/space operas? Was it SGU and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: far1.jpg (436KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
far1.jpg
436KB, 1920x1080px
What happened to science fiction/space operas? Was it SGU and Caprica being cancelled at the same time?
>>
>>81440848
There are some ok shows, butyeah. I stillwait for Destiny to arrive.
>>
File: Teal'cLaugh.jpg (211KB, 673x480px) Image search: [Google]
Teal'cLaugh.jpg
211KB, 673x480px
>>81440848
I watch Stargate constantly.
Just downloaded all of Farscape, never seen any of it.
Never been a use sci-fi fan, but Stargate really got me into it, well that and Starship Troopers.

There is a distinct lack of sci-fi these days... anything worth mentioning anyway... The Expanse is pretty fucking good for a SyFy Channel series, was really surprised with how good it is actually.
>>
>>81442451
Farscape is unmatched.
Also Babylon 5.
>>
>>81442451
Dark matter reminded me a bit of firefly so i suggest you give it a try. Oh and watch bsg remake, but not the spinoffs.
>>
>>81440848
What about dark matter and the expanse? And there's a new trek series inbound. It's never been the biggest tv draw, high production costs and niche markets mean they're fewer and far between.
>>
>>81442578
I watched Firefly a while back, fucking hated it.
Literally had to force myself to carry on watching after like 4 or 5 episodes.
Figured since it was only 1 season I should at least finish it.
>>
>>81442776
Well then check dark matter without firefly referencing, might still entertain you.
>>
There's also Killjoys. I love Killjoys. Good worldbuilding, fun cast, action and plot.

The space-opera renaissance is budding right now.
>>
>>81442451
I wouldn't mind an SG-1 reboot that was a little more hard science. The technological progression of earth really bugs me
>>
>>81444540
>SG-1 reboot
>a little more hard science
To be more faithful to the
Rolan Emmeric source material?
It just seems like the wrong franchise to expect that from.
>>
>>81444540
One thing that I both liked and disliked about SG-1 was how the villains were all basically the same character, played by different actors who put their own minor personal spin on the same template. On the one hand, it really worked well for the time, place, and target audience. This show aired during the Iraq War and audiences were glad to have a show that portrayed the military in a positive light along with utterly unsympathetic enemies. The Goold had no sad backstories, no complex motivations; they were just a bunch of evil assholes who had it coming so we can cheer when they get blown to smithereens.

The downside is that this got boring after a while, and the show never really mixed it up. Even Morena Baccarin's character was just a glorified Goold with a slightly different power set. You stop caring about the villains after a while if they are too flat to be engaging characters.
>>
>what happened to x?
>currently three airing

I guess it helps to know what a space opera actually is.
>>
>>81445034
Possibly. I just think that the Stargate is an interesting concept that allows for modern characters to deal with scifi type stories, characters, and environments. Then with SG-1's relatively realistic US Military background, political drama, and especially the constant underdog theme in the first few seasons (which was completely obliterated by the end) would all be aided by more hard science.

>much more multi-episodic story arcs
>Complete rework of the series, including the original movie
>earth discovers the stargate and begins exploring
>encounters a very, very minor goa'uld who absolutely fucks them up for a good part of the first season. less are known about the goa'uld
>earth expends more resources to accomplish much less. The technological and numerical disadvantage is much more apparent
>the series is earth very gradually becoming more powerful, influential, and fighting more and more important goa'uld lords as they begin to take notice of them
>>
File: farscape_crichton_lobster.jpg (185KB, 825x464px) Image search: [Google]
farscape_crichton_lobster.jpg
185KB, 825x464px
BABY BEACON

BEACON BABY

BABY BABY BEACON BABY

BEACON! BABY!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.