[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did this flop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 25

File: gits.jpg (164KB, 988x781px) Image search: [Google]
gits.jpg
164KB, 988x781px
And don't say "whitewashing" because regular audiences give zero fucks about whitewashing.
>>
>>81422292
whitewashing
>>
Still a shit movie
>>
didn't follow the orignal. would've been a better ending. it was in fact kino especially the beginning. but it was brought down by dchanging the story
>>
>>81422292
Advertising is all that matters. People want to think that successful movies are good an unsuccessful movies are bad, but all of it is bullshit. Nobody knows if a movie is good or bad until they have already purchased the tickets. Everything is advertising. The only answer to whether a movie is a success or a flop is how well it was advertised.
>>
>>81422292
>regular audiences give zero fucks
about anime adaptions
>>
>>81422292
It looks weird. Popular anime means nothing to normal people.
>>
Who knows for sure. I just find it fascinating that the Japanese don't give a fuck about the whitewashing. They actually liked it. it's time we stop being offended for others.
>>
shitty attempt to capitalize on anime the way hollywood did comics.

original gots cant be topped. animetards know better
>>
No subtlety, made for an audience that doesn't want to think.
>>
>>81422292
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEOKycghk3Y
>>
File: RumoredDeletedSceneDescription.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
RumoredDeletedSceneDescription.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
How can we get Paramount to release an extended cut?
>>
>>81422376
This, just look at Suicide Squad.
>>
File: 1491582212463m.jpg (118KB, 1024x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1491582212463m.jpg
118KB, 1024x1020px
>>81422529
Only Snyder can make that magic happen
>>
>>81422532
You are aware that Suicide Squad is the DCEU's most successful film with over $700 million without the help of China right?

I know /tv/, reddit and critics hate the movie but all you really need to accept that the general population loved it (as I who paid to see it twice).
>>
>>81422292
I don't know if this is right, I don't really think I understand what a general audience might like.

I think they halfassed it. If you look at all the GiTS media this kind of fails to measure up to any of it. The things that make a Ghost in the Shell "experience" enjoyable were missing. And the things they copied directly from the movie were cut short, rushed, or sanitized/censored.
>>
>>81422739
This. The tank scene was "the sane" but without any beauty to it.
>>
>>81422411
>I just find it fascinating that a homogeneous society whose people are already 100% represented in their own media don't give a fuck about representation in a foreign film

What exactly do you find fascinating about it?
>>
Gits seemed pretty popular back in the day, thought it would do better.
>>
>>81422868
Batou really shined in this live adaptation. Even more so than he did in the 1995 movie.

Of course they utilized a lot of source material and not just the 1995 movie. Any anime fan knows they must read the manga and watch the other GitS movies, show to get more out of Section 9 instead of just watching the 1995 movie.
>>
Because the trailer looked horrible.
>>
>>81422292
It rides the fine line between not being accessible enough / still being too weird and heavy for normie audiences, and watered down enough to not be interesting for the serious fans. In the end, the only ones it really caters to is westaboo Japs.

It was a cool movie, and one of the better live action adaptations of anime, but it didn't add anything to the franchise and it's not super memorable.
>>
>>81422933
I loved the movie and I have to agree. The trailer was the weakest thing about the movie. It's only the 3rd trailer which really made me want to see it because that was pretty well done but the first 2 trailers were awful as an advertisement to make people want to go see it.
>>
File: Edge-Of-Tomrrow-Tom-Cruise.jpg (160KB, 800x433px) Image search: [Google]
Edge-Of-Tomrrow-Tom-Cruise.jpg
160KB, 800x433px
No Tom Cruise in your weeb shit? It will fail hard.
>>
CYBER PUNK ALWAYS BOMBS

seriously, is there a single cyber punk movie except maybe the matrix that didnt flop?
>>
>>81422529
What for? You can't fix ScarJo acting with bonus scenes.
>>
>>81422332
AeonFlux (movie) + Lost in Translation = GitS (movie)
>>
>>81423065
This. Blade Runner wasn't rated well when it first released. Even Dark City didn't do that well

The Matrix did well because it had lots of action but when you try to make a film with little action, your mass audience are going to get bored really quickly which is why the MCU has to have action every 10 minutes or so.
>>
Too weird for regular people. I remember as a kid when I first saw GitS on adult swim I didn't watch it just because the name "ghost in the shell" sounded strange and clunky as hell.

If some average dude sees a commercial for a movie where johansson is a robot and there's a guy with weird ass robot eyes and no clear obvious hollywood story cues they're trained to see they're gonna be turned off
>>
The only people who cared to see it were those already familiar with GitS, and they went to see it to find out how bad/different it'd be.
>>
>>81423290
I like seeing movies about futures where the world is getting a lot more robotic so that's why I saw it. I guess majority of Americans don't really care for cyberpunk.

We shall see how Blade Runner 2049 rates
>>
>>81423338

That teaser trailer got me excited. Goose might be able to sell it. A side to that, the year in the title makes me think of Bubblegum Crisis, which mostly took from Blade Runner (and Streets of Fire).
>>
>>81422529
I don't see how it really adds to anything to include that. I guess it provides a bit more clarification as to what was going on with the garbage truck driver, but that's it.
>>
>>81422915
>Batou really shined in this live adaptation.

I wouldn't argue that but so, SO MANY performances were weak in this movie.
You get more emotional range from Tougasa than you do the major or Aramaki. That geisha doctor/roboticist (morgue equivalent scene) delivered more emotion than anything the Major did that entire movie. I don't want to take anything away from the guy that plays him but it was not hard to stand out in terms of emotional content compared to the leading roles in this movie.
>>
>>81423384
Reminder that the plot of Blade Runner 2049 is Goose running around trying to stop the extermination of all life due to some virus... yeah no joke this is the actual plot that I read in an article.

How cyberpunk and the end of life will work... we will see
>>
>>81422292
It's shit. If it doesn't have GitS brand name on it it would flop even worse.

I may still watch it though because I am always thirsty for cyberpunk and sci-fi movies.
>>
>>81423426
>delivered more emotion than anything the Major did that entire movie.
Major is a cyborg so of course she isn't meant to be full on emotional. Whether you want to argue that is how Scarjo acts: we can at least agree that she fit the role perfect as a Cyborg right?

Aramaki looked like a guy who has been living the cyber hacking crimes for decades and decades so it made sense for him to appear "tired" in some scenes.

Even the way he casually walks away after killing those guys in the carpark. Worked well for a character of his rank.
>>
>>81423426
I wonder if they were trying to emulate kusanagi's piss poor english VA from the anime movie who was almost completely flat and emotionless with every line, like that was the way it was supposed to be or something.
>>
File: gits12.jpg (136KB, 1080x593px) Image search: [Google]
gits12.jpg
136KB, 1080x593px
>>81423472
>I may still watch it though because I am always thirsty for cyberpunk and sci-fi movies.
By far one of the most visually appealing films. I may actually buy the art book.
>>
>>81423483
>a cyborg so of course she isn't meant to be full on emotional.
What is this retarded meme?
>>
>>81423426
>delivered more emotion than anything the Major did that entire movie
To be fair, the Major in the 1995 movie expressed even less.
>>
>>81422376
9 out of 10 times if the trailer makes the movie look like shit, the movie is shit.

GitS trailer looked like shit - fucking confused looking ScarJo doing blackops, and nonesensical discussions about "THEY LIED TO YA GRRLL, BUT THEY CAN'T CONTROL UUU!"
>>
>>81422292
>instead of cinematic slow action with 2deep4u philo it is just robot call of duty action flick

>If the "ghost" of anime classic Ghost in the Shell refers to the soul looming inside of its killer female cyborg, then this live-action reboot from director Rupert Sanders really only leaves us the shell: a heavily computer-generated enterprise with more body than brains, more visuals than ideas, as if the original movie’s hard drive had been wiped clean of all that was dark, poetic and mystifying.
>>
>>81423489
Are you talking about Mary Elizabeth McGlynn? She's perfect as a singer though.
>>
>>81423535

That's where the trailer lost me, because in the movie and series, it was always about the synergy of the Major and her team, harmonizing to make sure they always got everything done. She knows what she is and never really had to question her path or memories.
>>
>>81423561
She's only kusanagi in SAC, in the movie it's someone else who is absolutely awful
>>
>>81422292
Not that many people are into anime. And goddamn it, movies lose their appeal when the same actor keeps appearing in them.
>>
Because not that many people actually wanted it. And then test audiences probably ruined it, then word of mouth and rumor made the small market that actually wanted it have doubts about it.

>>81422376
Would you define quality in advertisement, or quantity of advertisement? Because I think quantity can have the opposite effect, if a media project is oversaturated but isn't appealing, it won't matter, while something that has very little exposure but the exposure is positive and in just the right niche of the market, it will work.

I still submit that nobody really wanted a live-action Ghost in the Shell, and in general it was more a cash in of trying "hey, there is this popular project in this medium, maybe it'd make money in this other medium" type of trash.
>>
>>81422292
because they hired shitty scriptwriters.
>>
>>81423588

That's because it's an early dub, when most early dubs were awful.
>>
>>81423643
She's the only bad one though, everyone else in it is passable to good.

It's a shame because I would definitely prefer the english version otherwise
>>
does the movie include the GOAT arm tearing scene?
>>
File: 123634267347348.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
123634267347348.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>81423489
I love how calm he is in the scenes. I guess it's something you learn when you are the head boss of something.
>>
>>81423681
yes it does. she only gets 1 arm removed tho
>>
>Ghost In The Shell? What the hell does that even mean? I'll look it up online
>Oh, all that people are saying about it is that it is a worse version of a Japanese Cartoon that came out over 20 years ago.
>Well, if I didn't care about the better original version, there's no reason to care about this.

Alternately

>Why the fuck would I want to watch a movie about a dystopian future with 500 foot tall negroes playing basketball on China?
>>
>>81422292
Nomis don't care about anime.

Anime fags don't want to see anime made live action.

Pretty simple.
>>
>>81423713
he looks drunk and not giving a shit
>>
>>81422619
That was his point, dumbass.
>>
>>81423472
>If it doesn't have GitS brand name on it it would flop even worse.
No, it just wouldn't have come out then or even be made since it would be a complete license ripoff.
>>
>>81423395
From what I heard that is one of many changes. The film got decimated after test screenings.
>>
>>81423483
>>81423524
In terms of the Major. and the '95 story. She doesn't have a direct connection to the case. There maybe some facets of it that intellectually apply to her condition but for the most part it's just a case. In this you're talking about her memories, family biological and surrogate and life. There could have been a choice to copy that inflection or lack there of from the original movie but I think it was a mistake considering the change in story. And I'm willing to give Aramaki some leeway because I don't speak Japanese. But since you guys brought up the original movie, he was MUCH more expressive there. I didn't get a "tired" impression. I got a feeling of boredom or just overall lack of concern. And in that parking lot scene it did pay off but when the Major isn't following orders and when he is confronting the guy that was behind it all The guy that tried to have him and his operatives killed he might as well have been waiting for a TV dinner.
>>
I'm fed up of seeing scarjo everywhere so I didn't go see it
I doubt it could ever top the anime anyway
>>
>>81422292
It looks cliche. GitS was a cool original Cyber Punk comic/anime. But a lot of its visuals are now like in every generic sci-fi action movie.

Also its target fanbase wasn't going to watch it because they butchered the source material.

>>81422411
Because of the clip of Japanese normies who don't even know the anime didn't care about a foreign country making a version of it?

It's flopping here in Japan too.
>>
>>81423779
well yeah..

"Hello Mr Old Established Japanese actor/director, we are shooting a film in a language you don't understand and it's based on a cartoon. Would you like to join us? We'll pay lot's of money"

"..... ok, usa"
>>
because nobody asked for this
Hollywood is about a decade way too late for anime inspired or adapted films.

The Matrix itself was heavily influenced by GitS and ripped off major setpieces and a general "look" from it, but a live action GitS is something nobody EVER asked for. GitS is a Manga series that outside of japan, almost nobody read, but was popularized by the anime movie, which was a hit because of it's deep philosophical tones and beautifully detailed artstyle. in fact, the artstyle is and always has been one of the most prominent draws to the film. which is why everyone hated the 2.0 rerelease, because it fucked with what already worked, just to add shitty filters and CGI where it wasnt needed.

a Live action adaptation completely removes 90% of the appeal, and just leaves the wannabe deep philosophical stuff, but changes the plot anyway, to make it more convoluted.
>>
It's like the uncanny valley. You try and imitate everything so hard, pander so hard, you trigger revulsion, not attraction.
>>
I just saw this movie tonight and I liked it. I have only seen GiTS SSS, which probably did not count.

I was wondering why the theater was mostly empty. I had no idea it was doing that bad.
>>
>>81423443
That's actually the plot of the book it was based on, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, or, the red herring
>>
>>81423483
>Major is a cyborg so blah blah

Kek it's this glib misreading that makes this movie so weak
>>
>>81422292
it took bat shit anime visuals and made them into a bland action movie
>>
>>81422292
Because it was no good.
>>
Well, I did my job. I got four tickets purchased to see this tonight (including mine of course). I liked it a lot. There were a lot of moments where my normie friend was saying "daaammnnnn" and such. My girlfriend liked it a lot. Overall at least an 8/10, maybe a 9 if I watch it a second time by myself not so concerned about what my gf or friends are thinking.
>>
>>81422292
>regular audiences give zero fucks about whitewashing

Nor do they give a fuck about Ghost in the Shell, so there's your answer.
>>
I think it just came out at the wrong time, people were still lining up to see Beauty and the Beast and Power Rangers when it came out. Opening weekend the theater I was in was empty. I went to see it again with friends yesterday and it was a full house. So I think it'll get it's money back eventually. I think it's at 80 million worldwide right now.
>>
Because it wasn't very good.
Movies are all sold with a pitch these days. For example, cape shit is usually based on a well known IP - batman, spider-man, hulk, x-men, etc
This IP... Is unknown to most people outside anime circles.
The only real pull was scarjo herself, and it's not like she has the same kind of audience draw as say Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lawrence or what have you.
And yeah, the movie itself was mediocre. To really do well with a weak IP (from a marketing perspective) it just needs to get really good reviews.
Outside of that politics is a big thing now days, like Moonlight, aside from being a good movie it had appeal to a specific audience. The closest this movie gets is the whitewashing controversy.
And I don't see many hardcore Ghost in the Shell fans getting excited by the idea of a Hollywood live action adaption of a deeply philosophical cyberpunk series.
>>
>>81422292
Scarlet isn't a draw. All the promo looked like shit as well as not being prevalent, I barely knew it existed outside of /tv/
Not to mention, it's supposedly a shitty adaption.
Look at something like live die repeat. Fucked the marketing big time on that one, but it was a big improvement over the eastern version and had actual big names.
>>
File: gitshand.png (82KB, 741x592px) Image search: [Google]
gitshand.png
82KB, 741x592px
I didn't watch Ghost in the Shell because I hate Scarlet Johamburger.

If they used a random Asian actress I probably would have seen it in theaters.
>>
File: 1489981797697.gif (664KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1489981797697.gif
664KB, 230x230px
>>81422292
>whitewashing
thinks jews are white
>>
>>81424984
wow haven't seen that one in a while, it really does summarize SAC well
>>
>>81422292
PG-13 action movie right when R rated action movies are making a comeback. Source material wasn't even popular in Japan. ScarJo looked absolutely terrible in the bodysuit in the trailers.
>>
>>81425552
THIS
in entertainment industry ether keep up with the trends or fuck off into obscurity
>>
>>81422619
This only should work for so long until people learn that buying tickets to movies that were always meant to be bad isn't a good idea.

But then knowing the average IQ of your redditor...
>>
Because your average viewer does not give a shit about Ghost in the Shell and existing fans think it's bad because it shits all over the lore.
>>
>>81423065
>>81423177

Matrix isn't even Cyberpunk. Keep in mind than the first one is set in typical 90s city for 90% of the movie. 2nd Matrix had barely any Matrix in it and people didn't like it, 3rd one was all Cyberpunk and it sucked.
>>
File: hk box office.gif (18KB, 530x440px) Image search: [Google]
hk box office.gif
18KB, 530x440px
>>
>>81423338
>I like seeing movies about futures where the world is getting a lot more robotic so that's why I saw it

They couldn't even get that part right. In the gits universe having full cybernetic body is as common as getting breast implants or having your wisdom teeth done they abandon their fleshbag bodies at the drop of a hat.

This time the (not a) major is unique
>>
>>81422292
the original is garbage.
what did you expect from a remake?
>>
>>81422292
of all the animes they could have adapted, they chose the one that is most well known for complex philosophical poises and some of the most complex characters, plots and settings

Bladerunner was the closest in terms of quality...how do you even hope to replicate that
>>
>>81423054
Tom cruise as a blundering ex public relations bureaucrat in a warzone and super classy emily blunt... great combo
>>
>>81426945
FAKE. GITS didn't open in china until this friday.
>>
Saw it last night. Loved it. Very funny movie. Never seen the anime, or any anime for that matter.
>>
>>81427847
http://www.hkfilmart.com/weeklyboxoffice.asp?wbid=0&lang=en
>>
DUDE the trailer has like NO SIMILARLITY to the movie

Its meant to be surgical, 90's block style too-complex-4-u design

All im seeing are fake hollywood sets and the wrong mixture of tech
>>
File: e5ca94db411c01f3b8fdacbf42988944.jpg (321KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
e5ca94db411c01f3b8fdacbf42988944.jpg
321KB, 1600x2400px
>>81422292
The actress is missing the Motoko expression and eyes. The generic background music ruins it. The tank scene where she pulls off the doors sucks bad...
They totally missed the aesthetic that made the first GITS movie cool. Also if you watched SAC, you know it's hard to surpass the series in any way.
>>
>>81423065
>CYBER PUNK ALWAYS BOMBS
no kidding. it's an 80ies fad that Hollywood failed to capitalize on in the 19-fucking-80ies/early 90ies. now the babbies from that time run Hollywood and want to make cyberpunk flicks but the time to do so has passed 20+ years ago.
>>
>>81423177
in b4 blade runner 2049 makes less than 20 mil opening weekend
>>
>>81422376
Advertising only matters for the opening weekend. After that if the movie is good the people who have seen it will advertise it for them.
>>
It wasn't a very good movie. There were some cool effects or visual scenes that could have been condensed into a very short film, or animatrix style series of shorts. However, there's only so many times that its interesting to look at a hologram advertisement. It's not enough to carry a movie.

Basically everything else about it sucked. There were some truly bizarre editing decisions. How did Batou get a shotgun into the club? Why did Motoko's mom let a random stranger into her house and monologue to her? Why in a world with advanced robotics are we only cockteased by like 20 seconds of a spider-geisha, and a blatant fanservice but butchered spider tank scene? Etc etc.
>>
>>81423426
Major yeah, but Aramaki was based in this movie.
>>
>>81422292
whitewashing
>>
>>81422292
the gits movie did poorly because it wasn't a hard R.

You can't do the kind of shit you need to do in GITS if you don't go HARD R.

That and they did it in fucking ORIGIN STORY FORMAT

WITH AN UGLY ACTOR AS MAIN CHARACTER

AND THEY DID ORIGIN STORY FORMAT IN THE MOST RETARDED REHASH WAY POSSIBLE.

Should have just been a movie about major during her time in the army and how she got out desu if they wanted to do origin story, but they didn't because THE DIRECTOR IS A TALENTLESS DIVORCED KEK AND ADVERTISING HACK THAT ONLY DOES REHASHES AND REBOOTS WITH THIS BEING HIS SECOND MOVIE EVER.

You do not ask art from an invalid like rupert fucking sanders. All you'll get is a shit smear. I know that's considered art these days but surprisingly, nobody likes looking at shit smears except edgy faggots who believe what they're told and scat fetishists.

Don't EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE WRITERS EITHER. Just another example of the free market reality checking sjw retards. Not one of the writers wrote a good movie, and Ehren Kruger's last two movies were transformers movies, and we all know how FUCKING STELLAR the writing was in those.

This movie was set up to fail from the fucking start.

Even if this movie was directed by mel gibson and written by fucking BEN STILLER starring TOP CRUISE as MOTOKO FUCKING KUSANAGI it would have been a better movie.

But seriously, it needed to be rated R.
>>
>>81428174
Let's be honest, Tom Cruise would have nailed it as usual

His live action anime was really good, but even that didn't really take off box office wise
>>
>>81422292
Like most anime it's an IP known mostly by weebs.
And weebs loath western adaptions of anime.

The core target audience are people who didn't want the movie exist in the first place.
And the majority of them are pleased that the movie flopped.
>>
this movie was basically Lost in Translation in space

@ me if you agree
>>
>>81422292
Pale scrubbing
>>
My normie dad said it just looked like a gay Blade Runner knock off.
>>
It also reduced the philosophy to a stupid degree which sucked a lot out of the movie. The major worrying about whether she is human as a brain in a robot was really dumb. Humans have already effectively come to that conclusion unless you're religious. It wasn't like Robocop where they were confronting the body horror of realizing you were in a tin can - she was hot as fuck and everyone was modded anyway - so the identity issue was just uninteresting.
>>
>>81422292
What Tom Sawyer fooled his friends into paying him to do.
>>
File: 1047102.png (1MB, 1439x789px) Image search: [Google]
1047102.png
1MB, 1439x789px
>>81422529
The deleted monk scene is featured in the art book so it has to be released right?
>>
It was shit. White people shouldn't be allowed to fuck with anime.
>>
>>81423519
The major is 1995 anime is a robot without any emotions
>>
>>81422532
>suicide squad
>bad

It's a masterpiece in the field of CapeShit (which isn't saying much)
>>
File: 1057302.png (1MB, 1439x792px) Image search: [Google]
1057302.png
1MB, 1439x792px
>>81428505
This deleted scene of the plot twist is too featured in the art book
>>
>>81428602
This. SS is one of my fav capeshit movies
>>
>>81428597
literally incorrect
>>
ScarJo is past her prime.
>>
>>81422532

Suicide Squad is pretty good tho
>>
>>81428631
holy cow the shilling
>>
fuck white people
>>
>>81428795
If you think BvS and Justice League are better than SS then wow
>>
>>81422292
As a non-weeb and a non-sjw I must say that I see no appeal in this movie.
I have no idea what it is about
I haven't seen any real promotion for it
ScarJo is kind of an over-the-hill actor, I can't remember the last time anyone gave a shit about her
I do not care to see "le tough girl" movies
>>
>>81428887
How is this a tough girl movie? Batou is the tough one in this

But then like u said, u have no idea about the anime so no doubt you would just consider this a generic action movie.

I really wish this got better trailers and better advertisement
>>
>>81422292
>tfw to smart for audiences
>>
>>81422292
Well, there might be a number of reasons. Yes, the people boycotting because of the whitewashing is one, but they are just a small percentage of the audience. The real factors at least in my opinion was the release date, it was going against that baby movie, and beauty and the beast (this was just their 2nd weekend). Also, that same weekend was wrestlemania (yes, a lot of people would rather watch WM than go the movies) , and also it was the final 4 of the NCAA (also many people would choose sports over a movie). And finally , the people that did actually watch the movie, I know many that found it 'meh' , others that hate it, and some really enjoy it.. the meh's and those that hate it didn't actually help with the word of mouth advertisement. So you're left basically with a fistful of people that liked it telling other people to go see it.
>>
I don't know anything about the anime
but I enjoy thrillers/sci-fi etc

should I pay $20 to go see it?
>>
>>81428196
I don't think Cruise is comfortable enough in his sexuality to play a female cyborg though. even if he was, his church wouldn't allow it. SAD!
>>
>>81422363
No one saw or gives a fuck about the kids cartoon it was based on
>>
>>81428174
>But seriously, it needed to be rated R.
there's maybe 2 shots in the anime that qualify as an R-rating in terms of violence. nipples non a cyborg were always retarded fanservice so I'm OK with them going with a nipple-free version.
>>
>>81422292
it was shit
>>
>>81428992
this. plus what about "original" films? you always got to sell the normie audience on your film. this is where they failed.
>>
female lead in film that isnt based on YA novel = no money

i think hollywood will realize this eventually
>>
because retarded animefags don't know how to actually appreciate what they like and think movies are supposed to represent their personal imagination

because whitewashing is a big deal to a generation that's controlled by fucking tumblr and social media

because it's a weird sci fi movie
>>
So why did Aramaki speak Japanese and everyone else including other Japanese people speak English?
Felt really weird
Also why did they create that Latina chick?
The toilet scene with Batou and her in the Yakuza club was kinda funny though.
>>
File: Lucy_(2014_film)_poster.jpg (26KB, 300x476px) Image search: [Google]
Lucy_(2014_film)_poster.jpg
26KB, 300x476px
>>81429031
40 million+ opening weekend
>>
>>81429087
because kitano never speaks english even though he understands it fine. and everybody who wants to talk to aramaki just has to install the japanese language pack. they explain this at the beginning with the french song.
>>
>>81428995
R rated movies can't be geared towards children so the story is never written with them in mind.

you would be surprised how much of a difference this makes. Sometimes forcing these dipshits out of demographics is the only way to get a coherent movie because they'll be sitting there thinking about the fucking marketing standpoint and how they can make the movie appeal to everybody which naturally means shitty everything.
>>
>>81422292
Didn't appeal to fans of the original due to stripping away all the mystery and visual elegance.
Didn't appeal to general audience because it's not a recognized franchise, the director is an anonymous nobody and no one likes ScarJo.
>>
>>81429194
against a comparable budget

big blockbusters starring females have always and will continue to bomb, unless theyre specifically geared towards horny teen girls
>>
Why did the focus so much on this
>I am Major (no you are Mira Kellen) and I give my consent
was this somehow in the source material?

Kinda reminded me of
>I am Commander Shepard and this is the best store at the Citadel
>>
>>81428970
Its a great thriller so if u like movies like I, Robot, Dark City then it is worth it
>>
>>81423883
>T. Never seen brother
>>
>>81429343
>thriller
talking about this
Why did Aramaki execute that guy at the end?
Aren't they supposed to be police?
>>
>>81429265
nah, LUCY did as well as it did because of the successful meme marketing (the 10% of your brain bullshit) where as GITS tried to sell the audience on sub-RESIDENT EVIL "action" scenes.
>>
>>81429265
The $40M budget was comparable to a $463M WW BO? Even domestic it made 3x its budget which is where studios make most of their money.
>>
>>81429420
Isnt Cutter in the anime and he never gets along with Section 9?
>>
>>81429426
Maybe if the GitS trailers didnt make it an action movie then people would have been more intrigued to see it.

They possibly could have just done a 2 min trailer of locations of the city with the opening "in the future robots and technology is surpassing normal human life" message and people may have been more intrigued to see it
>>
>>81428970
>$20 for one person
I can get two tickets for that price. Then again I also watch movies on non-weekend nights.

It's kind of sadfunny now, knowing about "le beeg tweest" looking back at her attempt to deflect the race controversy to argue about how "it's all about having a strong female protagonist" and "I would never presume to play someone of another race".
>>
You know, I have no clue. It flopping is quite arbitrary. It's an action movie, it's based on a japanese IP, it had advertising so people knew it was coming out, it has at least one actor people recognise... I would've expected modest profit and a lack of strong opinions.

Superficially it has all the same components as a Resident Evil movie, and their flavor of the formula has not failed for six movies in row.
>>
>>81422292
Even this image makes it out that Scarjo kills lots of guys in the movie when she doesnt.

The bad advertisement is why it flopped cos no one wants to see generic action movies anymore and this was not an action movie
>>
They advertised it during the superbowl didn't they? That was an odd decision.
>>
>>81429593
yeah but then the actualy film would have had to live up to that promise or word of mouth would have killed it after the opening weekend á la THE VVITCH.
>>
>>81429679
>it has all the same components as a Resident Evil movie, and their flavor of the formula has not failed for six movies in row.
the most recent Resident Evil flick bombed as well. as did the most recent Underworld flick. US audiences seem to finally get tired of that kinda formula. both made their money back in China though because they were mid-budget productions.
>>
>>81422292
People don't care about female lead action movies. How many flops will it take until producers realize this?
>>
Didn't it release in China and Japan this weekend? How did it do?
>>
>>81427847
Hong Kong =/= China
>>
>>81429811
But u see this wasnt a female action movie.

Of course the trailers which didnt make this clear is reason many werent interested
>>
>>81429835
Only made $10 million so far

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

So depressed :(
>>
>>81422292
it appeals to nobody;
fanbois are split between wanting to see it or boycotting it;
normies dont know what exactly it is;
and at its core, GiTS is about philosophy and transcendence of consciousness, but hollywood butchered it to try to appeal to a mass audience that wasnt there

not to mention scarjo isnt at her prime anymore
>>
File: 1491460460616.png (1MB, 937x1211px) Image search: [Google]
1491460460616.png
1MB, 937x1211px
whitewashing

villainizing Asians for white propaganda

whites dumbing down great Asian themes and complexes for dumb white audience
>>
File: 9a76c6f5cc31.jpg (161KB, 458x650px) Image search: [Google]
9a76c6f5cc31.jpg
161KB, 458x650px
>>81429976
good!

only then will hollywood keep their hands off animekino. Such films were never meant to be "blockbusters" anyway
>>
>>81422376
This. I haven't seen one advert for it. It's main audience of weebs wouldn't not want the main character whitewashed either.
>>
Sci-Fi has never been mainstream, A good sci-fi needs an absurd amount of publicity to be competitive.

This movie was legitimately bad (just watched it), low advertising and its genre is not super popular.

So it flopped.
>>
>>81430179
Japans life actions adaptations almost always sucks too, buddy. White washing or not, the movie would have been garbage, even with Asians.
>>
>>81430261
>Sci-Fi has never been mainstream

>interstellar
>promethus
>edge of tomorrow
>inception
>martian
>gravity
>and the big daddy of all: AVATAR
>>
>>81430270
They would probably have saved 9 mill or more from the salary difference.
>>
>>81422292

Same reason Ghost busters failed. They isolated the only people who would give a shit about the film and convince other too watch.

Simple fact is that fans of the original want a Jap woman to play the lead, and not some Transgender guy
>>
File: 1490911095499.jpg (50KB, 800x370px) Image search: [Google]
1490911095499.jpg
50KB, 800x370px
>>81430270
>denial

white hollywood adaptations are watered down and shit compared to japanese productions
>>
>>81422292
I think because there has only been one good anime adaption (that people didn't even know was an adaption). So its not like eastern adaptions have proven themselves, people have no assurance of quality after shit like The Last Airbender and Dragonball Z: Evolution (or whatever it was called).

I'd also say eastern stuff is both niche and is often viewed with condescension from the west.
>>
>>81430292
It's worth noting that even Prometheus made clear profit despite the reception it got.
>>
>>81430292
>Avatar
>Not absurdly high amount of publicity.

Retard.
>>
>>81422292

Movie only appealed to weabs, and the casting of a dumb jew cunt in the lead made sure the weabs had no interest in seeing it.
>>
>>81422292
The leaked shots of her looking fat in the skin suit. Box office poison...
>>
>>81425044
Scarjo is considered white to everybody that actually matters. /pol/ or 4chan's opinion on this literally means nothing
>>
>>81422411
>the Japanese don't give a fuck about the whitewashing

Indigenous audiences may not have such a huge issue with it because in their culture representation is not the same kind of issue as it is in the west. They aren't alientated by the media they consume, among other things that minorities deal with here.
>>
>>81430316
dont even need to be japanese for me, any east asian would be fine. Techincally Major -doesnt- need to be asian, but why not? in hindsight scarjo wasnt a draw at all

pacific rim had a cast of literal whos and it did pretty well
>>
>>81428799
fuck you and everyone who looks like you
>>
>>81422292
Because GITS, as an entire series, offers nothing for the audience to care about.
Say you're just a normal person with no knowledge of GITS, what the fuck are you supposed to give a shit about? Oh wow, it's Scarlett what's-her-name from the Marvel movies in a Wig, and she's fighting bad guys?
>>
>>81430440

I'm pretty sure Pacific rim did well more because its about giant fucking robots punching monsters rather than it having Asians
>>
>>81423290
I went to see it and I only started watching the anime a few weeks ago.

The cool Weta props and aesthetic I saw was what originally got me interested.
>>
Imagine if they tried to do Journey to the West.

Sean Zane, international superspy, must travel to Jerusalem, to steal the Dead Sea Scrolls. Along the way, he gathers a motley crew of lowlifes to aid him(with the help of little collars and compliancy drugs). The mischievous Will Conner, with his extendable rod(insert as many penis jokes as possible). The gluttonous lech Bajy(either Indian or African so we can't be accused of having no darkies in the cast). The afterthought Sandy(be sure to hire a woman and play up how we're totally progressive by not having an all-male principal cast)

PS. Be sure to hire lots of POC to portray the criminal scum they subdue along the way.
>>
>>81429976
it made 10 million in HONG FUCKING KONG, where it was released last weekend, like in the US and Europe.

There are no box office figures available for Japan and Mainland China, where it came out this Friday.
>>
>>81430691
The mystery...continues.
>>
>>81422292
Doesnt appeal any audience besides the braindeads "I like female leads".
>>
>>81430594
And to think that Pacific Rim is such a mediocre, boring movie. I'm slowly changing my opinion on Del Toro's directing.
>>
>>81430408
they don't have a problem with it because it's not a real issue.
>>
>>81422292
It's love letter written to the GiTS universe.

The feeling is there, but unfortunately the writer's not very good at writing.
>>
>>81422292
Blacklash
>>
It was Yellowlash. God forbid a white woman play an anime...
>>
>>81431217
more like director and writer mastribating to their skin deep fascination of GITS
>>
>>81422292

Because who really gives a shit about GITS?
>>
>>81422292
Because who's actually going to watch an animu adaptation xd
>>
>>81430594
yeah but did it hurt to have such a cast for pacific rim?

Johansson was cast because they thought she would pull in audiences because of palettibility (and past perfomances in similar films and being a "global face") - if GITS' story had been better and had a lead east asian I think it would have excited the amount of people it was expected to. (Although, I think it shouldn't have been made in the first place)

Sure cinema-goers want something not too challenging but they also flock to where they know their money is going to be well-spent and also be wowed. If the reaction for "Get Out" was (critically and commercially) bad it wouldn't have been such a word of mouth hit. I wonder, if they really tried to bring a great story and casting to GITS whether we would have a sucess on our hands. Everything about this GITS adaption is stale: we've seen this story about this super-soldier rebelling against their maker over and over again. If the execs trusted their audience with the original ethos, philosophical dimensions of GITS - who knows... it might have been a commercial disappointment but at least we would have gotten a great film out of it (rental sales and cult status could well claw back the money)
>>
>>81422292

Advertising made it look painfully generic, not helped by the way a lot of what we were shown was ripped directly from the anime.

It wasn't a bad movie, anything in the 4-6/10 range is defensible, but it didn't do enough with the philosophical stuff to make it worth seeing for that and doesn't show enough of Joansson's skin to make it worth seeing for fap fuel either. It winds up looking pretty but having no substance and being extremely forgettable once through.
>>
>>81431166
>it's not a real issue
In what sense?

And it's not the same kind of issue over there because race-relations are different (and it certainly is an issue over there). Representation over in the west, the same west who decided to pick this up for adaption and distribute it, is a sorry sight. There was a chance to tell/sell a radically different story in a field of blandness but instead we were given this.
>>
>>81431592
>ripped directly from the anime

I would say stylistically it was ripped, but substance-wise it was not
>>
"Whitewashing" isn't even a good term. It literally means to make a generic copy that's lacking. It does describe the movie, but people aren't using it in the proper context at all.
>>
>>81430952
Is 10 mil for Hong Kong bad? It sounds half decent.

My theory is something with Spielberg and how he attached himself to it. Either that or they really failed on their organic interest garning utterly I mean was it their strategy to be like ghostbusters and inspire some debate about the industry again? It seems like other than the visuals and music focus, this movie is incredibly outdated in its practice
>>
File: AWAY.jpg (57KB, 654x585px) Image search: [Google]
AWAY.jpg
57KB, 654x585px
>>81422292
>zero advertising
>general audiences see it either as generic sci-fi or gay anime movie
>fans of the anime see it as an abomination
what went wrong?!?
>>
>>81422376
This. At least in the UK, very poorly promoted.
There was a smallish TV ad buy from what I can see and that was it. I don't think they did any actual promotion.
>>
>>81431634
>It literally means to make a generic copy that's lacking
>but people aren't using it in the proper context at all

nope, it has two contexts both of which are very appropriate to describe the film. The context you disagree with is more culturally relevant and the one that needs addressing.
>>
>>81422411

I saw this with my Japanese girlfriend in Japan today. It's true, literally nobody seemed to give a shit, and she didn't even mention it once.

However, she gave it a 2/10. It's honestly the most critical she's ever been about anything, and this is a girl that would politely ask someone to stop murdering her before she even considered raising her voice.

She didn't like it because Major didn't hack. Her favorite thing about the original movie and followup series was the hacking.

"When Major wants information, she hacks, but she never did that in the movie. She's supposed to be a very good hacker." That was basically her entire critique of the movie.
>>
>>81431788
Whitewashing doesn't refer to white people, dipshit. It's the same thing as "watered down."
>>
>>81422376
That's true.
>>
>>81430328
Oh, just fuck off James 'Togushi' Smith
>>
>>81431680
>was it their strategy to be like ghostbusters and inspire some debate about the industry again?

I dont think the issues surrounding ghost busters and GITS are the same. Neither are the kinds of conversations they generate. I certainly don't think they were trying to create a "conversation" with GITS - they wanted to make a hit but fucked up on key things.
>>
>>81431620

Yeah, that's the problem with it. It makes the movie look like it's just going to hit the story beats of the anime. The things it does differently aren't different enough, and really if you have seen or can see the anime, why bother with the movie?
>>
>>81422292
generally unknown franchise that deals with non mainstream concepts + plus bad casting and a none faithful take on the IP made it so that even those few people that were a big fan of the franchise did not shill for it online

also bad reviews
>>
File: 5th Element Jovovich.jpg (10KB, 279x180px) Image search: [Google]
5th Element Jovovich.jpg
10KB, 279x180px
>>81422292
The Major is right down there with Batman as "least demanding leading role", so they should have gotten someone who was hot and HOT to play her, not someone's mom with a dye job.

It also needed some neat theater-tech hook to it to bring in a young crowd, THIS is the movie to attempt Long Halftime Walk's shit in.

Finally, it needed a marketing strategy comparable to the Matrix to generate huge buzz ahead of it's release, not the feeble "Well it has Black Widow in it, so we can just throw it out there and it'll make big monies" bullshit that it got. I saw more adverts for the latest Resident Evil movie than I did for this film.

Scarjo is just too damn old to be trying to start up an action star career. She's Evil Queen material, not Warrior Princess.
>>
>>81431680
2016 Hong Kong box office ranking
#1: Captain America: Civil War - HK$112,654,686
#2: Train To Busan - HK$68,004,629
#3: Cold War II - HK$66,244,171
#4: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice - HK$62,286,926
#5: Doctor Strange - HK$59,793,472
#6: Deadpool - HK$58,000,805
#7: The Mermaid - HK$55,236,152
#8: Zootopia - HK$51,865,101
#9: Finding Dory - HK$49,524,251
#10: X-Men: Apocalypse - HK$49,359,782
>>
>>81431804
christ, bet you use the dictionary to support "literally" every argument.

terms have different contexts. Whitewashing has more than one but the one in wide and heavily engaged usage (and therefore the signifier of the type of discourse/cultural practise that happening) is "accurate".
>>
>>81431900
>The Mermaid
am I wrong or is that one of the most successful movies of China?
>>
>>81431938
It's never been meant to refer to white people until faggots began to complain about minorities and movies just a couple of years ago. Your moronic slang is not welcome. Go find another phrase to fuck up.
>>
>>81431948
THE most successful
commerically successful, critically meh
>>
>>81422292
FUCK ME I know its gonna be mediocre but still watched it anyway
And I can't believe I actually guessed 80% of the plot right just by knowing the Kuze name and the "hurr dur they made me but they can't control me" trailer line
>>
>>81431971
kek
>>
it didint appeal to normies well enough
>>
Just saw this a few hours ago.

The visual style was fairly close to the original.
The story seemed to have been simplified.
It was a bit lacking in emotion.
>>
>>81431948
THE MERMAID was the highest grossing film in China in 2016. It made a total of $526,848,189. It's fucking insane.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2016&p=.htm
>>
>>81427847
Separate distribution channels m8.
>>
>>81431979
by shire size of china alone that would probably also make it the most successful comedy of all time right?
>>
>>81432010
more like in trying to appeal to normies, it became so meh that it did the opposite
>>
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter made $160 million in China. Surely GITS can top that and become profitable?
>>
>>81432095
is that the reason why Resident Evil stopped doing undead and went with mutated looking "infected" instead?
>>
>>81431897
>too old
I'm the same age as her so that comment kinda bums me out.
It may be true for the screen, though I've read action novels with older female leads.
>>
>>81432059
No that would be Minions
>>
File: jumjumjum.gif (144KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
jumjumjum.gif
144KB, 180x180px
>Scarlett Jewhannson
Literally dropped in the beginning.
>>
I don't understand the whitewashing comments, is it just people who haven't seen the film?

They pretty much wrote into the story why she was white instead of japanese.
>>
>>81432126
dunno but I can tell you that the Final Chapter was not the Final Chapter thanks to China.
>>
female protagonist in a non chick flick
>>
>>81432095
Resident Evil sort of became something in of itself at this stage, just like the Underworld series.
>>
>>81432174
>I don't understand the whitewashing comments
>They pretty much wrote into the story why she was white instead of japanese.

the very fact that they had to write that in tho
>>
>>81431597
motoko wasn't an asian looking robot in the MOVIE YOU FUCKING CHINK
>>
>>81432174
tfw it takes place in Hong Kong

why would she be japansese? are yuo RACIST? u think all chinks are same??:???
>>
>>81432256
>motoko wasn't an asian looking robot in the MOVIE YOU FUCKING CHINK

yeh, what's you're point?
>>
>>81432289
i wonder how you even manage to post a comment with such limited thinking capacity
>>
>>81432289
I dont know, what actually is a you are point?
>>
>>81432317
what knid of thinking capacity does that comment divulge as to be limited?
>>
>>81432323
typos don't exist apparently
>>
http://www.cbooo.cn/
This site says GITS grossed RMB$150,737,000 over the last three days.
>>
>>81422292
PG-13, audiences no longer accept watered down versions of R rated material.
>>
>>81432256
>asian manga
>asian movie
>asian creators
>asian philosophy (kinda)

there was not much real reason not to have a asian lead for the live action. Scarjo is not interesting

>>81432386
so thats 20m usd, minus theater cut/taxes = earnings of ~10m usd

thats kinda bad, right?
>>
>>81432450
what we have here with GITS is a missed opportunity for something quite different
>>
>>81422292

From my perspective as a non anime watcher. I just didn't think it looked that interesting. The marketing is what failed, plus I heard about all the changes made due to retard test audiences.
>>
>>81432561
what would have interested you? what gaps would it have filled if it was good in your opinion?
>>
>>81432450
From the same site:
Biohazard Final Chapter - RMB$609,750,000 in first 3 days
Kong Skull Island - RMB$476,130,000 in first 3 days
Rogue One - RMB$213,270,000 in first 3 days
>>
>>81430193

I'd love to see how they would fuck that one up.
>>
>>81432174
Maybe if at the end, she'd entered a white body after being damaged beyond repair. But nope, they went straight to casting a "white" as the lead, desperately defending it every step of the way, having said lead try to make the argument about having "a strong female lead" and blatantly denying she would ever play someone of a different race. Then to stick it to the critics, try to be all cute about it. Or justify it. Whatever.
>>
>>81431897
Yeah there was a disturbing lack of Halloweeb costume ideas
>>
>>81422292
Because it was an anime adaptation. There is a small (small relative to the size of the moviegoing public) audience of weebs that will definitely see this film. There is an equal sized, if not larger, block of people who know that anime is cancerous trash and won't see this film.

Then there's the general public who don't give a shit and probably don't go to see the film because there were like 3 trailers that were all, in essence, exactly the same (scarlet punching that guy in the water, running along the wall shooting those 3 guys, that big tank thing) so clearly the movie only has like 2-3 minutes worth of decent shit in it.
>>
>>81431796
cool blog post friend
>>
>>81432664

If they didn't just market it as a generic sci-fi, I'd probably have been somewhat interested. It just looked lifeless, no style. If no substance, at least style it up, at least.
>>
>>81429293

Not in the source material

It was a retarded wannabe clever quip. Cringed
>>
you think if this proves to be a flop that Akira won't make it to hollywood?

I'm hoping Akira never gets made
>>
>>81423472
I watched it yesterday and pretty much enjoyed all of it.
It seems your expectations are pretty low so you may quite like it, or not, depends how cynical you are m8
>>
>>81432675
>rogue one grossing so low compared to the rest

maybe its fallout from the SJW shitfest that is TFA, kek
>>
They dumbed it down for murrican audiences
>>
It didn't disappoint me, but it did have errors which i expected for hollywood film.
>>
>>81422292
The source mnaterial is shit for autists and virgins
>>
Fans of the original GitS movie would just tell their normie friends, "Watch the original" while having mixed emotions about it themselves.

It was always doomed to fail. At least something likea a live action Akira would be potentially interesting, but Hollywood was never gonna get GitS right.
>>
>Hey guys, this 22 year old thing that's a niche market hit, let's make remake it now for a lot of money for a broad audience!
>Oh no! Why is it failing?!

It is a mystery.
>>
>>81423512
HNNNGGG

This movie was good.
>>
>>81426945
It is probably going to do very well in foreign markets.

I saw it being heavily promoted when I was in Spain recently. Ads everywhere.

Americans just have shit taste.
>>
>>81430406
>facts are opinions now
wew
>>
>>81422292
Anime adaption with a white woman and an actual good movie Your Name is now out internationally for people with even a passing interest in anime.
>>
>>81422292
Fans of the original movie and anime did not want to see a Micheal Bayed version of it with all the philosophy ripped out of it

Everyone else though it was racist or weeb shit

It had no audience
>>
If it was better, word of mouth would have spread and saved it. Because it wasn't amazing it flatlined.
>>
>>81432947
>There is a small (small relative to the size of the moviegoing public) audience of weebs that will definitely see this film. There is an equal sized, if not larger, block of people who know that anime is cancerous trash and won't see this film.

Your analysis is shit, zero anime fans are interested in it and once you get off 4chan there is no portion of the population of any significance with a hate for anime. Theres fans and theres indifference for cartoons but will watch if its widely critically acclaimed, things like Princess Mononoke.
>>
>>81430406
Jews say they are not white.

Im irish and I also say I am not white. White is for retarded americans. Goyim.
>>
>>81436866
Jews are white to everyone except the most racist white people
>>
>>81422292
They took a philosophical film with action elements and made it into just an action film. Add in the stupid controversy (and the way they handled it in the film) and nobody wanted to see it. They should have gone all in on the philosophical shit, it would have been better received.
>>
>>81433828
pretty much yeah. they thought it'd be another negrofest and stayed away.
>>
>>81428068
>How did Batou get a shotgun into the club?
Everyone disregard this retards opinion he didn't even have his eyes open to see the scene where Batou is blatantly handed a gun through the window.
>Why did Motoko's mom let a random stranger into her house and monologue to her?
Okay the monologue was a bit much, but the cat clearly was what enabled that scene. Combine that with the themes of cats and dogs in GITS overall and it makes sense.

>>81428174
I disagree completely. My friend and I were pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable the movie was even though it wasn't hard R. No ridiculous blood from the gun shots, and it kept the sexuality to a minimum. Very much like an actual Anime.

>>81428676
She looked better and acted better than Amy Adams in Arrival.

>>81429704
She kills at least 10 people.

>>81431796
She did one hack.

>>81431900
These aren't opening weekend figures I imagine.
>>
>>81422292
Was interested in seeing it but the meta/whitewashing and scarlet looks devoid of life. The released shots look like a low budget flick bumped up (budget) only because of scarlet.
Get neil b (district 9 guy) film in inexpensive area with diverse folks, obtain female actress that can act and they might have had a winner.
>>
>>81422292
People might be a little burned out on ScarJo. She's not a good enough actress to be a lead, but because she's a pretty face she's being pushed.

Did Lucy do well? I feel like ScarJo is about to be relegated in terms of relevancy. The US needs some young blood in Hollywood.
>>
File: 1491756740140.jpg (84KB, 471x674px) Image search: [Google]
1491756740140.jpg
84KB, 471x674px
/tv/ BTFO
>>
>>81437266
It will breakeven but that's about it.
>>
>>81423883
Kitano is extremely nip picking on his projects, after Johnny Mnemonic and his experience with Brother he never wanted to work in the US again, he got plenty of projects pitched to him, so you can assume he actually liked the script.
>>
>>81437411
That totals without China and Japan accounted for
>>
>>81438551
That's gross not net either.
>>
>>81437155

Actually the special effects, CGI, and cinematography were the highlight of the movie for me. The script was beyond stupid. Some imdb review called it "McDonald's version of sushi." Sounds about right. The movie started with a quote saying something like "you are in a synthetic shell but your ghost is still in there." they're literally spoon feeding the themes and arguments that the series makes to the viewer through uncreative and straightforward dialogue.

> obtain female actress

This was pretty much my number one concern going into the movie. Scarjo is a shitty actress that has done nothing worthy of praise. The Major is a stoic and more or less emotionless role though. Still, they could have done better.
>>
anyone got a torrent of this movie
>>
They didn't have that one hot outfit from SAC in it and ScarJo isn't who I want to see in that outfit.
>>
>>81422292
bagelwashing
>>
>>81437266

>/tv/ BTFO

Educate yourself my man

That's box office GROSS, which is to be DIVIDED between the studio/distributor and the theatre.

Over the course of a domestic box office run, a successful movie will NET ~60 of the box office proceeds, if the movie is unsuccessful (GITS for example), the stdui/distributor gets less.

For the FOREIGN box office, the numbers are much worse, here the studio typically get ~25% of the box office GROSS.

So in other words, these numbers are really bad, particularly when you consider that $92 million of that GROSS is FOREIGN.

Of course it doesn't stop there, because the $110 million in cost is just the PRODUCTION budget, you can easily add at least $30-40 million in promotion to that number.

Remember the Ghostbusters reboot, Feig (director) openly stated that it would have to GROSS at least $500 million on a $145 million budget.

That's the reality, GITS has a $110 million budget, it's grossed $120 million, it is a economic disaster.
>>
>>81439766
They fucked up by not having Anje Traue in a leotard. Fucking morons.
>>
File: 1435866250771.jpg (79KB, 550x717px) Image search: [Google]
1435866250771.jpg
79KB, 550x717px
>>81427954
this is MY Motoko
>>
>>81422292
too complex for idiots to grasp between tweets and licking visagetome poasts
>>
It's not even whitewashing, Scarjo is just a bad actress.
>>
>>81437006
And themselves when they so choose.

https://youtu.be/41citwedy_E?t=10
>>
cos shes fucking ugly now and sci fis for nerds
>>
>>81423054
Based Tom would have made a great Togusa.
>>
>>81422292
>And don't say "whitewashing" because regular audiences give zero fucks about whitewashing.
Well, it's tricky, because I have to say the word to explain something.

Generally, "whitewashing" is actually a good sign of a greater problem, ultimately stemming in a film being little more than a cash-in by filmmakers who do not give a fuck. Writing, casting, directing, cinematography - it's all done to appeal to specific demographics and make as much money as possible. Which ironically puts it at risk of making less money. Soulless cash-ins make the biggest possible mistake in thinking audiences can't tell when filmmakers do something because they love it, and because they want it done right.

Honestly, Kusanagi could have been cast as white (pretty sure her entire body is artificial), but they needed someone better. Scarlett Johansson has the physique, gravitas, and emotional range of a lump of clay.

I haven't seen the movie but from what I understand, it apparently blanked on the deeper philosophical themes of the source material. Which begs the question: Why fucking bother to even do it?
>>
>>81437162
I think this was a big problem too. Any time someone is in fucking everything, it gets exhausting. This is what happened with Johnny Depp, and if Chris Pratt isn't careful it might drag him down like it did that puffy-faced bitch he was in that space ark movie with.
>>
>>81422292
Because fans were alienated by the attempt, as were most general science fiction audiences after a slew of disappointing PG-13 cash-in science fiction remakes that look exactly like it (blue, clean, artificial and uninteresting) in the trailers. It's Ironic how much more "real" the animated original looks and feels compared to your typical ADD Hollywod green screens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNSGuE9oKQs
Scarjo is a good actress but she feels miscast/misdirected, not because of her ethnicity but because of the Major's more hard-ass and militant character which even shines trough her cybernetic existential crisis.

And having seen it, it didn't do as bad a job as I thought It would, but it dumbs it down too much and changes none of it for the better with changes like making the Major into a Robocop figure antagonized by a Saturday morning cartoon villain tier bad guy, making the whole effort just come off as unnecessary as it looked.
>>
>>81422292
It wasn't that great of a movie, and it was trying to ride in on the coattails of a movie that really isn't that mainstream and came out 20+ years ago
>>
It wasn't offered in standard format. 3D bullshit gets on my cheapass nerves.
>>
>>81428970
I can get 4 tickets for that price, what the shit lana
>>
>>81422292

- has a Bad Guy who only exists to be a Bad Guy
- replaced the Puppet Master with a generic 'muh revenge' antagonist
- Doesn't question the dilemma of cyberization on individuality and possibility of sentient AI
-action scene nothing you can't see in a ton of other action movies

They gave the Major a fucking canon origin, jesus christ.
>>
>>81422292

Regular audiences give zero fucks about little Chinese girl cartoons.

And they probably thought it'd be another Lucy. I'd stay the fuck away from that.
>>
>>81422292
>expecting normies to go watch a movie based on an anime film from the 90's.

I mean I get it, Hollywood execs are fucking retarded, but this was still astounding.
>>
>>81422292
Just got home from kinema - i really liked it. I totally see why they changed what they did, but it's still a solid movie.
>>
File: GITS-Live-action-Togusa.jpg (175KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
GITS-Live-action-Togusa.jpg
175KB, 1080x1349px
>>81422292
Because Togusa didnt have a fucking Mateba, instead he had a fucking Rhino.
>>
>>81428992
the only thing that mattered was the first movie. the show didn't matter you pleb
>>
>>81427954
>The actress is missing the Motoko expression and eyes
wrong and also the Motoko in your pic is fan art - she's not that sexualized in the show
>The generic background music ruins it
also wrong, the music perfectly blends with the visuals, you only say that because muh kenji kawai doesn't play through out the entire movie
>The tank scene where she pulls off the doors sucks bad...
wrong, it isn't GREAT, but it also doesn't suck bad, it's a good scene - i was feeling the tension, and the normies i went with were definitely feeling the tension - literally heard loud exhales at the end of that scene. Remeber who the movie targets
>They totally missed the aesthetic that made the first GITS movie cool
probably the wrongest you've been - the city, shots, atmosphere are on point. It's not 2d so much of that is lost but it's good for what it is - no movie comes close to that so far except maybe Blade Runner and the 5th element
>Also if you watched SAC, you know it's hard to surpass the series in any way.
wtf are you even criticizing here...yes the series is good, this movie has nothing to do with it.
>>
>that scene where Aramaki fends off a hit squad who get the drop on him

So fucking stupid, why the fuck does Aramaki go all blatt blatt in this movie anyway, in the fucking series they don't try to kill him because he's a much more valuable political prisoner, fuck this film.
>>
>>81424127
This is a lie. Maybe read the book before you spout shit.
>>
>>81441469
>in the fucking series they don't try to kill him because he's a much more valuable political prisoner, fuck this film.

my man, do you even realize what you are comparing here? for fuck's sake - i get genuine hate towards some of the changes, but some of you anons are plain stupid. Just watch the movie without thinking of the series or even the 1995 movie - that's what its purpose is. The majority of people don't know the anime, so don't go expecting it to be a copy-pasted version. It's like comparing LoTR to the books or something.

In this movie Aramaki is the Section 9 boss, he is presented as a leader with experience who answers to the prime minister, that's it - nowhere it is conveyed he is a "valuable political prisoner" or some shit.
>>
>>81422332
Also Asian exploitation.
>>
>>81428505
>>81428614
Neither of those were deleted scenes. Saw both those shots in the theatre. Fucking pay attention.
>>
>>81422292
i just watched the anime. i will soon watch the movie. but from what i heard it has nothing to do with whitewashing. The script and the way the plot was conducted is bad. This movie should not be that much explanatory, that is not movies language, but soap opera language. That means you have to explain 4 or 5 times to people what is happening. so this movie is ghost in the shell for retarded people.
>>
>>81441695

It doesn't matter, the scene where he gets caught stuck in a car by a hitsquad and manages to kill them all anyway is fucking retarded.
>>
>>81441719
well make your full opinion after you see the new movie - personally i think it was handled well, dumbed down a bit - sure, but that's because the larger audience doesn't know shit about this world and how it works - they had to explain some stuff, but it didn't seem very blatant to me.
>>
>>81428963

>>beauty and the beast
>>wrestlemania
>>baby movie
>>college sports

sounds like all plebs that weren't going to see an animu movie anyways
>>
>>81441784
ok, you are entitled to your opinion, even if you have no basis for it - only "it was 3 v 1 - he should be dead" - that shit happens in literally every action movie. It's not realistic, but that's the point of fucking movies - for protagonists to beat odds
>>
>>81441796

The African President at the starts says 'hur hur isn't cyberisation going to affect out individuality' then shit goes down almost straight after, then that topic is barely touched upon again.

Everything basically gets dumped for Major's quest to find out about her past, she doubts her humanity then it gets completely and utterly answered, so, welp.

Nothing in this film makes you question about humanity, I don't think it's even brought up that sentient life could exist, because 'muh captured runaways revenge' guy.

>>81441851

Have you seen the film? It's not about it being 3 vs 1, it's about the way it specifically went down, they fucking unload automatics into his car from multiple directions, and he survives somehow, then just shoots them all. I'm just calling the scene out as I see it, man.
>>
>>81422292
>Why did this flop?

They forgot to put new Scarlett Johansson pictures on the fappening
Worked with Emma Watson
>>
File: lol.jpg (1MB, 2817x4200px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
1MB, 2817x4200px
>>81442308

>They forgot to put new Scarlett Johansson pictures on the fappening

Would not have helped
>>
>>81442550
could pose as asian with legs this short
>>
File: ''''''kuze''''''.jpg (16KB, 501x360px) Image search: [Google]
''''''kuze''''''.jpg
16KB, 501x360px
They mad me into a monster, and I will have my MOTHERFUCKING REVENGE!!!!!
>>
They spent too much money. The IP is too niche and the marketing wasn't that good. Should have been a 50 million dollar budget instead of 110. We didn't need all those dumb CG holograms. Plus all the negative press the movie got from the media leading up to the movie didn't help either. Hell it's still getting smeared with articles saying how whitewashing killed the movie. We get it you have a political agenda and want the movie to fail, but Jeez talk about beating a dead horse.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.