[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moonlight: Did I miss something?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I just finished Moonlight and it's like half the movie was missing. It just kinda ended. And then looking back on it, it was like nothing really happened.

>Kid!Chiron is a gay nigga
>Kid!Chiron's mom is a crack head
>Teen!Chiron's still gay and his mom is still a crackhead
>Teen!Chiron gets touched by another Teen!Gay (Kevin)
>Teen!Chiron gets beat up (by Kevin to keep up street cred)
>Teen!Chiron beats someone up (Bully!nigga, Tyrell)
>Teen!Chiron goes to juvie
>Adult!Chiron deals crack
>Adult!Chiron reunites with the guy who touched him (Kevin)
>the end

Did I miss something? Why was everyone fawning over this movie?
>>
File: who could it be.png (9KB, 274x290px) Image search: [Google]
who could it be.png
9KB, 274x290px
>>81412880
>Why was everyone fawning over this movie?
Why indeed...
>>
>>81412880
>ctrl+f "!"
>13 results
what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
It was a great film, still re-watch the last act every other day
>>
>>81412911
Yeah probably

>>81412931
idk didn't think it mattered

>>81412948
Okay, but what's appealing about it? It just kinda ends??
>>
>>81412880
Yeah, I don't get what was so amazing about this movie.
People were like "it's about overcoming black hypermasculinity and loneliness", then why couldn't I relate to it? I'm lonely, black, and have trouble overcoming racialized masculinity.
Chiron didn't seem that isolated or alone and the movie didn't tackle black hypermasculinity at all besides the scene where Kevin punches him.
And then adult Chiron is a typical hypermasculine hood nigga.

I don't know, I need to rewatch it.
>>
>>81412880
It's literally only because it's a gay nigga movie. Nothing special about it. Open endings are not a problem but like you said nothing much happened in the entire movie to rave about it this high. Also lot of cheap corny story developments like
>high school bully
>wanders around the shcool yard to pick his target because he's evil
>the target is of course our gay nigga
>and of course he makes his only friend to beat him
Fucking predictable and cliched as shit. And on top of that, gay nigga goes on to break a chair on the bully's back like a faggot and this suddenly turns him into a badass gangsta. Jesus, this is just shitty lazy writing. This is the only character development in the film and it's something like a 12 year old would write in his fan fiction. And this movie got tons of awards
>>
>>81413100
It felt like they were nervously inching towards "It's all cyclical" but didn't really ever get there? Like I think Kevin beating Chiron up was supposed to be, like, the climax of the movie but it acted more like the catalyst bc up til then, there wasn't anything happening other than Chiron being gay, and unfortunate circumstances with characters around him who weren't very fleshed out.
>>
>>81413266
I totally agree there's nothing wrong with open endings, but generally if there is an open ending, it's because the rest of the movie was enough to warrant audiences an interesting guess at what's going to happen next. That wasn't happening with this movie.
>>
>>81413313
>It felt like they were nervously inching towards "It's all cyclical" but didn't really ever get there?
Yeah, exactly. Chiron was a very boring protagonist all the way through, he just kind of stood still and quiet throughout the entire movie.
And we never see how hypermasculinity affects him, he's not coerced into acting manly, smashing that boy over the head with a chair was his own choice.

The only thing that really happens to him is he's called a "fag" a few times, and everyone gets called a fag, that's typical nigga shit.
>>
>>81413266
>chair thing turns him gangsta
are you retarded? he turned gangsta because shemermelala ali was gangsta and was pretty much a father figure for him, so he LITERALLY became him, with the headband thing and all.
It's not that hard to end up like that when u had a crackhead mom, a dealer father figure, and end up in kid jail for who knows how long. He decided not to be the bitch anymore and started in a new city as a badass dealer nigga. Makes sense
>>
>>81414185
The problem is how the movie COULDN'T present his transformation realistically idiot
>durr have a gangsta father figure
>broke a chair on a bully's back like a faggot
>go to kid jail
>well that's all folks, that's all you need to turn from a complete pussy faggot to a complete gangsta
Are you seriously ok with this? Is this good writing to you? Are you a 12 year old faggot?

>It's not that hard to end up like that when u had a crackhead mom, a dealer father figure, and end up in kid jail for who knows how long.
Of course every kid who goes to jail most definitely ends up being a gangsta, that's for sure
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.