[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain to me what this movie was about anyway?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: h1.jpg (35KB, 586x330px) Image search: [Google]
h1.jpg
35KB, 586x330px
Can anyone explain to me what this movie was about anyway?
>>
was about an oil man, lad
>>
>>81394928
an oil man who fancies himself an oil man
and a false prophet
>>
>>81394944
oh, and god is a superstition
>>
>>81394955
I drink your milkshake eli
>>
>>81394909
Capitalism and perseverance

Not in a scathing way either
>>
It's always the CIA shot
>>
>>81394988

I gathered that part, but what about the shit with his son? What was that all about? Especially the fact he considered him competition.
>>
>>81395013
How isn't that part of capitalism and winning in the grander scheme?
>>
>>81395048
I'm confused though, it showed capitalism positively for the majority of the movie and then at the end it turned into
>evil white man

Was it really that simple of a movie? I expected more.
>>
>>81395079
It's not "evil white man" but it's a reality of the oil company of that time paralleled with modern greed. Yea it's probably left leaning, but you got to understand the time it was made too. So it's critical of capitalism while admiring it's perseverance, like I said
>>
>>81395138
I guess my values are simply different. I don't think it was Daniel's responsibility to educate the Sunday family on how to get a better deal in the negotiation.

Daniel was completely right at the end how he applauded Paul's accomplishments against Eli's requests for handouts.

I worked oil in Texas, the first thing you do if you discover oil on your land is you get yourself a good lawyer. Just as well, you request percentages per barrel, otherwise yeah you'll be ripped off for sure. I didn't see Daniel as a bad guy, but just a competent businessman. Then the movie took a shit at the end and leaned way left out of nowhere.
>>
File: IMG_0346.gif (996KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0346.gif
996KB, 500x301px
>>81394909
American!!! Of course (=゚ω゚)ノ
>>
>>81394909
The American Dream.

Every scene establishes Daniel as a shrewd and tough man who is interested in only one thing: being more successful than anyone else.

It teaches a powerful lesson, though. If you want to succeed, you have to be tougher and smarter than your competitors. Everybody is out there for themselves and if you aren't careful, they'll take everything from you and expect you to thank them for it afterwards.

It's probably the most honest and cynical movie that has been made.
>>
>>81394909
ambition. winners and losers.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.