[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

13 Signs You’re Watching a ‘Prestige’ TV Show

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1491467434306.png (775KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491467434306.png
775KB, 1920x1080px
1. “It’s like a novel.”
>This is maybe the oldest, most reliable way to tell us that your show is actually far more important than regular, dumb, mass-market TV. It’s not TV — it’s literature, but with title credits and a ten-episode season order. It’s a trope that dates back all the way to 1995, if you can believe it! The Wire and The Sopranos are probably the shows that really ground this idea in our collective conversation, and in spite of regular pushback from critics, it just will not go away.

2. “It’s like a movie.”

3. They’re not episodes, they’re “chapters.”

4. It’s not a first season, it’s a “pilot.”

5. Winking self-awareness.

6. Darkness.

7. What the hell is even happening right now?

8. “All the pieces matter.”

9. The sad man.

10. Breasts.

11. Literally nothing is funny.

12. It’s not just not funny; it’s deeply depressing.

13. Movie stars (and directors).
>>
And when I thought the brain too large meme couldn't get any more ridiculous and better we have a new contender
Didn't read the post though but I will at some point
>>
File: 1485409232914.png (87KB, 1160x759px) Image search: [Google]
1485409232914.png
87KB, 1160x759px
>>81363500
>to smart
>>
>>81363533
Fuck me
The game just leveled up again
>>
>>81363533
>to
>>
19. Cucking
>>
File: 1484716819681.png (924KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484716819681.png
924KB, 1920x1080px
>>81363391
me on the left
>>
>>81363591
Hi newfag
>>
>>81363620
Hey fagfag
>>
>>81363391

underexposed
>>
>>81363636
>363636
Buy a lotto ticket
>>
full story: http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/prestige-tv-signs-youre-watching.html
>>
>>81363500
I tried reading the post but he clearly very quickly gave up knowing that most people would be talking about the image - and what an image!
>>
This felt like a movie, so fuckin' epic. The direction was fantastic, the visuals were outstanding, and the sense of pre-battle foreboding was really well-depicted by the writers. I think Jon, Sam and Ygritte were well enough developed that I cared about their lives, and I feel like we can't really judge this episode for what may be book changes or delays until next week. As it is, it was amazing.
>>
>>81363391
This is great, who wrote this?
>>
>>81363729
He hit the nail on the head to be honest. Modern TV is shit and the golden age of TV is a meme/lie. This is why old HBO is good and current HBO is utter shit.
>>
The main thing is, TV isn't an artform. Pretending that it can become one because the film industry has been so destroyed by appealling to teenage boys and developmentally-arrested adults that independent filmmakers have to release stuff directly to Netflix is futile. In truth, cinema has been impoverished, and the only artistically defensible things you can watch on a television weren't made for television and can only be demeaned by being exhibited that way.
>>
>>81363391
>11. Literally nothing is funny.
everything else would be ok if there was some kind of humor there
>>
>>81363732
>(you)
>>
>>81363391
Reminder that it's an objective fact that TV shows are an inferior form of a visual medium compared to film.

The primary focus in TV is on the written narrative and nothing else, the repetitive structure, countless establishing shots and shots of a car entering a location, countless "let's go to a bar for a beer" like exposition dialogues, every episode has to end with a cliffhanger, every episode has one big moment which is executed well while the rest is mostly filler, countless twists and turns etc

All the other filmmaking elements like cinematography, editing, sound design don't matter at all in the long run, the only thing you are left with is characters and nothing else .

Most of the time you don't even have to look at the screen, the back to back camerawork in dialogues get's so overused that you can basically just listen to the conversation without even watching the screen and grasp all the information you need because the written narrative is the main thing here, while in film it's the visual narrative.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.