[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CHANGES MADE TO GITS DUE TO RETARDED TEST AUDIENCES.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 74

File: ghost-in-the-shell-movie1.jpg (93KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell-movie1.jpg
93KB, 720x340px
>Origin story was more in the background, more scenes focused on philosophy and questions posed by the premise.

>A better explanation and more depth was given to the consent thing. Which made it hit harder when later in the film they basically say they never needed consent to begin with.

>Mother scene was different. There was no grave scene at the end with the Mother. Mother never knows this is Motoko.

>All the atmospheric VFX shots a lot longer.

>Swimming scene was a lot longer.

>Interrogation scene was a lot longer.

>Major didn't have a full brain, only a piece of her brain. At what point was she human and only a machine?

>The prostitute character made multiple appearances and appeared much earlier in the film.

>Original ending was Kuze and Major did some sort of digital mind mend as he wanted to live on her memory. All of this was told visually though as the sequence played out a lot like the shelling bit in the beginning but with two minds becoming a new person. Batou comes in after and helps carry Major away questioning if she's the same or this new person.

According to two different sources, one of the VFX artists on GAF

>it tested poorly for reasons I'm not too sure of. Again this is now why it was changed .

And a trusted industry insider on another movie site:

>I saw an early test cut that the General Audience in attendance didnt understand, so they made cuts to simplify it. I never would of thought they would butcher it as much as they did.

So it looks like this is another case of I Am Legend.
>>
>>81352997
Director's cut when?
>>
>>81352997
Ah FUCK.

I hope we get all the deleted footage or some kind soul uploads it for everyone to see.
>>
>>81352997
>it tested poorly for reasons I'm not too sure of. Again this is now why it was changed .

- Take a philosophical movie.

- Show it to lowest common denominator in test screenings.

Not to hard to understand.

If they had shown it to people who had loved say, Intersteller, Inception etc it probably would have rated much higher.
>>
File: 1485776280183.jpg (72KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1485776280183.jpg
72KB, 420x420px
scarjo still a shit
>>
i am legend 2 when though
>>
It's like Blade Runner all over again

They decided to do test screenings in Texas were people are retarded, and they didn't like it so they added in a terrible ending and voiceover narration
>>
Yeah or you could just the original and get 100% of that and more.
>>
>>81352997
Hey where's your source? I want to believe.
>>
>>81353191
Will he ever get more bacon?
>>
how long has hollywood had test screenings?
>>
>>81352997
Holy shit, so there was a posibility of this ending up been good?
>>
>>81353296
https://disqus.com/by/NeonSandwich/

He's a pretty well known industry insider.

VFX artist was on Neofag as well.
>>
>>81352997
Where the fuck do I go to watch these test screenings I hear all the time?
>>
File: cat 5t45.jpg (96KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
cat 5t45.jpg
96KB, 800x533px
>>81352997
And why they expect every movie to be appealing to basic bros and bitches?
>>
>>81352997
I just marathoned the first ten minutes.
I like it.
But I never saw the anime.
>>
>>81353053
That would be like the studios admitting they were wrong. So never.
>>
>>81352997

She's cute as fuck...
>>
>>81353470
How do you marathon a movie?
>>
>>81353405
Be on mailing lists for studios and shit.

http://www.previewfreemovies.com/

Have an account here.
>>
>>81353405
Stop telling market research companies to fuck off every time they call you.
>>
>>81353405
There's this great bit in Sidney Lumet's book "Making Movies" where he talks about how fucking stupid test screenings are.

Apparently literally everyone's opinion, no matter how fucking retarded, is considered important and valid.

He didn't say how people get into these screenings, sadly.
>>
>>81353519

Hello, newfeeg
>>
>>81352997
>All the atmospheric VFX shots a lot longer
We didn't need more of this. Otherwise everything else sounds better than the final film.
>>
>>81352997
>another case of I Am Legend
I Am Legend's original ending was pretty shit too though.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 174x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 174x240px
>>81353053
After the first wave of blu-ways fails to sell,
>>
>>81352997
>Original ending was Kuze and Major did some sort of digital mind mend as he wanted to live on her memory. All of this was told visually though as the sequence played out a lot like the shelling bit in the beginning but with two minds becoming a new person. Batou comes in after and helps carry Major away questioning if she's the same or this new person.
So basically the anime ending but using Kuze instead of the Ghost hacker the Americans developed artificially which ends up merging with the Major to produce a "new" intelligence.
>>
File: image.jpg (182KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182KB, 1240x775px
>>81353578
So the people who decide what I see in the theater....are the same people who hang on and talk at length to telemarketers?
>>
File: 1409193460867.gif (3MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1409193460867.gif
3MB, 250x250px
>>81353579

This. I'm supposed to give a fuck about a movie that was allowed to go to test screening? I'm supposed to be mad at the general public for having shit taste and needing things dumbed down for them? That's like being mad at a dog for eating a steak you drop on the floor and then walk away from.

No sympathy for the movie, no sympathy for the studio, no sympathy for anything regarding this or any other movie like it.

Anyone trying to send a movie through test screenings isn't interested in making art, they're only interested in making money. And I have no sympathy when something that is made only to make money crashes and burns. Doesn't happen nearly enough.
>>
>>81352997

Source for all the first batch of shit?
>>
>>81352997
>studio made all the changes to cater to the lowest common denominator
>movies still bombs
Lmao.
>>
>>81353579
>He didn't say how people get into these screenings, sadly.
People who answer surveys at malls, people who are on screening lists for pre-screenings are given chances to see a "secret" or fake name movie early. My wife and I saw an early test screening of a shitty chick flick. I had nothing but complaints and she went with my lead
>>
>>81353218
Shut up Ridley Scott. Your enhanced special editions were garbage.
>>
>>81353218
we could probably sit here and name ten Ridley Scott films that have completely incoherent narratives.
>>
File: 1435804938444.jpg (140KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1435804938444.jpg
140KB, 680x680px
>>81352997
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FUCK
NORMIES
>>
>>81352997
>hey guys, turns out gits is actually REALLY good!
>the normies ruined it all, it's the studio's fault too
>a well known insider (ie twitter shitposter) told me so

fuck off weeb
>>
File: 1489090860405.jpg (154KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1489090860405.jpg
154KB, 1024x768px
>>81352997
that's a shame
maybe we'll get an extended cut?
>>
>>81352997
Sauce?
>>
>>81353166
>If they had shown it to people who had loved say, Intersteller, Inception etc it probably would have rated much higher.
Chris Nolan would have made a pretty good GITS movie I think.
>>
File: 1486257403835.gif (664KB, 253x200px) Image search: [Google]
1486257403835.gif
664KB, 253x200px
>>81353053
>>81353148
>Wanting a deleted scene/directors cut of this piece of shit
>>
>>81354984
funny world we live in
>>
>>81352997
Extended cut when
>>
>>81352997
>Mother scene was different. There was no grave scene at the end with the Mother. Mother never knows this is Motoko.
The grave scene is in the trailer so I am calling false in this claim
>>
>>81352997
The good thing about this movie flopping is that it possibly means Cowboy Bebop is safe.
>>
>>81352997
>GAF

Who?
>>
only a brain dead idiot would think that an extended cut will make this turd any better, *camera pans 15 more seconds* omg instant masterpiece 10/10!!!
>>
>>81355620
neogaf I guess some garbage videogame forum full of sony shills
>>
>>81355598
I'm sure they'll get around to screwing up Cowboy Bebop and Akira eventually. Probably Evangelion, too.
>>
File: 1486749908534.jpg (609KB, 784x930px) Image search: [Google]
1486749908534.jpg
609KB, 784x930px
>>81355746
>Probably Evangelion, too.
I got you senpai
>>
>>81355746
I'll cry if they fuck up Cowboy Bebop. There's no way in hell they get the aesthetic right, and unless there's an unknown who can play Spike perfectly the casting will be dogshit.
>>
>>81353218
villeneuve is going to do your own film better than you ridley
>>
>>81356358

How would you even successfully adapt Cowboy Bebop? The main story is only what, 7 episodes? But the only reason you care is because of the attachment you develop to the characters as you watch them being spess men doing spess things over the other 19. How can you condense that into a movie that anyone would care about if they weren't a Cowboy Bebop fan?
>>
the average American just can't wrap their head around them crazy japanese people and their wacky aneemays that make you think because who thinks in this day and age
>>
>>81355643
You're retarded sir.
>>
File: think about it1.gif (2MB, 272x270px) Image search: [Google]
think about it1.gif
2MB, 272x270px
>>81355773
>>81355746
>Elle Fanning as Asuka
>>
>>81352997
So is this why we got Lucy 2 instead of the deep political thriller as the first where the Motoko had been cyborg since childhood.
>>
>>81352997
It wouldn't make it a good movie, but that does actually sound like it fixes some of the problems I had. Might've at least made for an acceptable adaption.
>>
>>81356358
>unless there's an unknown who can play Spike perfectly
pic related?
>>
>>81356405
One way to adapt an anime is to make it side story like Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
>>
>>81355496

What the fuck is that? I don't remember anything like that at all in the movie.

Maybe if it was meant as a contrasting visual/parallelism to when she finds the computer made out of people it would have been neat. Like, how it is possible to take the buddhist concept of transcendence up a notch in the Gits universe, literally transcending to another, digital plane of existence, and also foreshadowing the merge between the major and Kuze.

If that was even their intent, who knows.
>>
>>81352997

Well, gee, I wonder what a test audience in the country of Trump would think about such a movie. I'm not surprised.
>>
File: no.jpg (18KB, 328x349px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
18KB, 328x349px
>>81355746
>they'll still fuck up Cowboy Bebop
>>
The japanese got Kenshin right, yet Kikewood fucked up with Ghost in the Shell.
>>
WE DIDN'T MAKE A SHITTY MOVIE

IT WAS FINE AT SOME POINT

WE MAKE GOOD MOVIES, TRUST US

COME BACK TO THE CINEMA SOON
>>
File: chris-nolan.jpg (58KB, 465x317px) Image search: [Google]
chris-nolan.jpg
58KB, 465x317px
>>81353166
I honestly don't fucking get it.
How does Nolan get away with making pseudointellectual, thought-provoking, and critically well-received movies that are also popular with normies, but when any other director tries it they get shit on by studio, critic, and audience alike?

What's his secret, boys?
>>
>>81354948
If you are talking about Solid State Society I thought the AI she merged with wasn't actually created by the US, that was a cover. It was actually a split personality of her Ghost acting in the net independent of her and just used her since a part of her aligned with his philosophy (coming from herself initially) to acquire a body for the real world. If it really was the US and not a totally net grown identity it takes alot away from the story.

I only watched the movie once and didn't like what they did to Togusa so I fixated on that flaw in the movie. Am I remembering it wrong?
>>
>>81353053
I would watch this.
>>
>>81357220
SSS was basically the SAC version of the Puppetmaster storyline in the 1995 film and manga. Also, that's not what it was.
Also, in the original storyline, it is a government-made AI that somehow generated a ghost.
>>
>>81355496
REEEE gib
>>
>>81357181
He cribs them more uniformly. Can't remember which Nolan, but one of them is so obsessed with heavy themed anime they actually bought the rights to one (paprika) so he could blatantly copy its scene structure for his movie. He directly takes what works, shamelessly.

>>81357276
Yeah I figured I didn't remember it right. my initial thought was the Major is going all rogue and she was the real...Puppeteer...I think they called her. Her going max rogue like that was almost fitting but seems garbage after the ends of SAC1 and 2. Also everything they did to Togusa was max bullshit. It kind of ruined a central theme to not just his character, but the show. Or didn't ruin it, but more erased it.
>>
I want to say I dont care because it is just a buisness making a product. But with the thousands of people that work on minute details of film you just know lots of love and passion went into the movie. On top of the millions it costs to make, all for a butchered final product.
>>
>>81355773
That looks fucking awesome tho
>>
>>81352997
Ghost in the Shell, the anime (film), ended with the Major and the AI merging and giving birth to a new digital being. The first fully sentient being born of the melding of an AI and a Human mind into a new being.
>>
so, the hollywood treatment in adapting a medium is to lobotomize it.
>>
>>81357181
>What's his secret, boys?

He lucked out making The dark knight and having Heat legend die. Nobody payed him any attention before even if his movies were pretty much the same.
>>
>>81353053
this

theatrical versions are intended for plebs.
>>
>>81357562
it's shooped

also the first movie's designs are better
>>
>>81355773
Fun trivia: in older scripts for PR the blue haired asian chick is bandaged up when she meets the protag and they train to pilot the jaeger by dancing together.

The writer hasn't seen eva though! nope!
>>
>>81352997
They can't fix ScarJo acting though.
>>
>>81352997
Maybe they could have had more Section 9. Changing Pazu to be some random bitch was stupid. And Boma and Saito have next to no scenes EXCEPT for the end with Saito randomly being called in to take the shot.
>>
>>81355746
Well duh. Akira is be By done by the great director of Get Out...Peele.
>>
The dialog in the GITS movie was so incredibly blunt that it must have test screened with a room of retarded people. Its like watching blue's clues or something.
>>
>>81353393
>He's a pretty well known industry insider.
So fucking nothing, cool.
>>
File: 4Coqmne.jpg (262KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4Coqmne.jpg
262KB, 1280x1024px
Test audiences are a mistake.
>>
File: latest[1].png (172KB, 400x315px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
172KB, 400x315px
>>>81357921
>blue haired asian chick
Rei's gonna cut you, homes.
>>
>>81352997

Because hollywood bussiness is NOT making ART, retard

Hollywood is just trying to make MONEY with a commercial product intended to an specific target audience

Despite the unpredictable results, the methodology is solid.
>>
>>81352997
good
>>
>>81352997
Why the fuck do they bother with focus testing if they can't even hire people of average intelligence?
>>
>>81355518
>they only edit a movie after a trailer is released
>>
>>81352997

I just saw it.

I've seen bad adaptations that disappointed me before, or made me angry. But this is the first time one made me sad.

Everything was done wrong, but you could see what might have been. The ghost of a good movie, maybe even a great one, is in there. But what we ended up with was fucking garbage.

With a better director. Better writers. A better adaptation. God what might have been, but when you say that much you might as well say 'with everything different it would have been good' so whats the point. ScarJo was horribly miscast and I feel as bad for her as I do for the movie, she can't pull of mechanical physical perfection at 32, and she can't and has never been able to pull of being intimidating. The major was supposed to be both.

Beat was great like he always is, but he was wasted. Fuck this film and everyone involved on the managerial element of it that turned gold into mud. Yeah, I'm mad.
>>
>>81353579

It's random. You get an email (used to be phone call) asking you if you want to be part of a test screening, they don't even tell you the movie you will see. Just to go somewhere on a certain date. Everything is set up in secret otherwise people would tweet about it etc and everyone would be trying to get in to see "X blockbuster" six months before official release. You are told to bring no electronis/phones and when you go in you are frisked to make sure and they have security with night vision watching the crowd to make sure no one attempts to record it (I'm not making this up). They try and get a random cross section of ages, occupations, genders, etc and afterward you fill out a questionnaire. They make everyone promise not to talk or post about it but there is really no way to stop people except threatening them legally. There is no way to stop someone posting here about it anonymously for example, but they are protected by the fact that when someone does everyone accuses them of lying "My dad works for Nintendo and he said the next pokemon..." etc.
>>
>>81357181
Because he casts normie fodder actors to fawn over and makes viewers feel like Inception is super duper "smart" naturally normies don't want to be seen as dumb so they go along with pretending it's genius and that they know why, to the rest of us it was just a dumbed down paprika rip off with corny lines.
>>
>>81352997
It looks like this is another case of Blade Runner - a bad, banal film gets a heavily hyped but equally banal "director's cut" in an attempt to avoid having to write off the wasted money.
>>
>>81360296
>made me sad

haha, get laid!
>>
>>81352997
thanks focus testing
once again, you make things worse
>>
>>81352997
R-Rated director's cut in 4K UHD when?
>>
>>81361102

Well your mom is meeting me later, I'll talk to her about the tragedy of having the philosophical aspects cut from the film. She always likes to chat after.
>>
>>81361127
No, it was always going to be shit. The "director's cut" thing is a total meme, haven't you guys learned from Suicide Squad? It is invariably a way to recoup a loss.
>>
>>81361155
There are no valid philosophical aspects to Ghost in the Shell. The original film was just Blade Runner with cartoon tits, and Blade Runner's philosophy is bullshit.
>>
In all honestly though, this drastic re-editing of the film is just as brutal as what happened to Batman V Superman before being put into through, perhaps more so.
>>
>>81352997
Not doing these changes wouldn't have dramatically changed the movie. I'll watch the old cut if it comes out but it's logically inconsistent to believe that it would've been an entirely different, better movie when 95% of the footage would be the same.
>>
>>81361553

It's exactly the same situation as Watchmen and BvS, it will be much better and it will STILL be fucking trash.
>>
>>81361553
Small changes can easily have a major impact to the overall film.

I mean...the whole rhythm of the action sequences could be radically different in this other cut due to the restoration of the blood, Clint Mansell's entire score being restored (as opposed to shoehorned Lorne Balfe pieces) and an overall different mood to the film because of the stronger emphasis on philosophy.
>>
>>81356405

Divide in 3 acts. First act is Spike & the rest already established as bounty-hunters. Second act is Spike's past. Final act is Spike's confrontation with Vicious.

You've got one movie right there with the chance of making sequels. No need to thank me.
>>
>>81356407

It's not that wacky or strange anyway. ghost in The Shell is pretty straight-forward and you have to be retarded to watch it and not get it.
>>
>>81355746
Evangelion is already shit, so no tears over that. Anything they can do do it will probably make it better.
>>
>>81355389
Blade runner was kind of shit till they released a directors cut.
>>
>>81357819
>also the first movie's designs are better

Because they are fully trying to pander to China this time.
>>
>>81352997
I wish we could see these test cuts of movies, you know how much extra money these jew companies would make if they sold them, surprised they havent thought of it
>>
>>81352997
This explains why the movie's quality is so inconsistent.

For those that haven't seen it most of the section 9 stuff is really high quality stuff, a lot of effort seemed to be put into it, most of these are the first half of the movie. Second half and Hanka Corporation shit is all really hackneyed writing, the special effects, lighting and direction in those scenes are noticeably worse than the Section 9 scenes.
>>
>>81363963

Yeah, it's a shame. They could've done a 1:1 adaptation of the anime, and at times, it almost is. The part about Motoko's past feels forced as fuck and doesn't make sense with the themes of the movie.
>>
I was in a test screening for Man of Steel and I didn't question Pa Kent sudokuing for no reason. In a way I doomed the entire DC film universe and lost the company tens of billions of dollars in lost revenue.

If you ever get invited to a test screening go. They actually listen to your opinions even if they don't take them in the end. It's nice talking to someone who listens,
>>
>>81360641
I imagine it was all babyboomers who went to see this.
>>
>>81364214
Yeah.

Quite a few of the Section 9 scenes weren't based on the anime movie though, like Batou's dogs scenes, and the nightclub scene.
>>
>>81363477
Except the dir cut of Blade Runner is shit

Ridley Scott is the master of making great films then butchering them with director's cuts

See: Alien
>>
File: 1491460738306.png (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491460738306.png
1MB, 1440x1080px
>screen writer who wrote transformers movies
>directors only other film is that shitty snow white movie

but yeah sure, the studio editing the film is why the movie is shit.

because a directors cut saved BvsS and Suicide Squad

its a shit movie regardless of what got cut
>>
>>81352997
Yeah, this was pretty obvious. Remember the bit at the start where the scientist says to the major "your body was destroyed so we gave you a new one... a new SHELL. But your mind is still yours, you have your soul... your GHOST".

This was 100% in there because test audiences were confused and didn't understand the title of the film, it was fucking shit. It's a shame that the original vision wasn't the final product, it sounds a lot better. They should have made it cheaper, mainly by not getting scarjo. The reason why all of those capeshit movies do well is because before they come out (the first few anyway, iron man, Thor, Avengers etc) the comic book fans go batshit online about how good they think they will be. This movie failed because they alienated the GITS fans right out the gate with scarjo in a vain attempt to get the attention of normies. if normies don't think the fans will like it they will never go and see it. Movie wasn't that bad anyway, but it could have been so much better.
>>
>>81364505

The movie is well shot, and when the screenplay works, it works really, really well. It's the editing and the added personal drama bullshit that kills it.
>>
I wish they would have cut Scarlett's throat and kept the Japanese eye prosthetic that they were first testing. That would have been fantastic.
>>
>>81364598
>screenplay works, it works really, really well

elaborate on this, you are talking about it as if it was outstanding when to it felt average at best.

And no, the editing didn't add the personal stuff. The entire film was borderline an origin story and there was dialogue about this in throughout. this isn't something editing does, this scenes were key to the film story structure and were there in the script beforehand
>>
>>81364606
>Japanese eye prosthetic that they were first testing
What's this?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (330KB, 1696x1424px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
330KB, 1696x1424px
>>81364598
The scenes that were shot well(mostly big action pieces) were most likely done by a second team.

A lot of the key scenes, who I assume the director was in charge of, were poorly made.
pic related. How do you fuck up the establishing shot of her from a very long angle to show she is a big girl? Before the action scene thats about to happen it visually clues the viewer that she is a big threat, the movie fail with this shot by not only having a slightly low angle shot but also a dull skyline.

close up of the gun from a high angle which leads to her back shot. the movie fucked this one up too but this could be blamed to editing assuming another shot was shot.

the final panel shows how big she is, taking almost the entire left side of the frame. again, to show how much of a big presence she is. she is in power and the criminals are all beneath her in stature.
live action shot she doesn't fill the frame and appears small compared to the city. Now there is nothing wrong with this shot but it certainly fits more with the screen play and her not understanding her place blah blah. so yeah, that shit was in the movie from the ground up
>>
>try to make a somewhat intelligent movie
>screen it for a bunch of unemployed retards who live in LA

Has there ever been a movie that was improved after a test screening?
>>
File: 1491385978273.png (1MB, 1600x566px) Image search: [Google]
1491385978273.png
1MB, 1600x566px
>>81364908
I loved the red outfit that resembled her look in Arise
>>
File: GhostInTheSellAramakiShootOut.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GhostInTheSellAramakiShootOut.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
Great scene
>>
File: 215326347.webm (851KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
215326347.webm
851KB, 1280x720px
>>81363963
>For those that haven't seen it most of the section 9 stuff is really high quality stuff
The briefing scene at the beginning where Section 9 is in same room together was great. Good interaction with them all there.
>>
>>81364501
You'd have to be a complete retard to think the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven was better then the directors cut
>>
>>81364908

The climax action scene with the spider tank is really rushed and terrible though. Especially in comparison to the one its based on. But its pretty terrible by itself as well.

You're right that the others were decent though, I liked the waterfight apart from that one slow motion 'ebin hero' shot. But I liked a lot of the quieter scenes in the first half as well.
>>
>>81357181
LOVE TRANSCENDS SPACE-TIME LMAO
>>
>>81361175
We haven't seen the David Ayer cut of Suicide Squad. The "Extended cut" that was released was just some deleted scenes that they were going to put on the blu ray as extras but then at least second decided "put it together and make an extended".

mfw the original cut didn't have Joker say HONKA HONKA
>>
>>81365112
It really felt like a lot was cut out of the spider tank and reading that there was a lot more dialogue with Kuze and Major, it makes sense.

Also interstingly the other action scenes had slo mo but the spider tank scene didn't have slow mo. Why not? Slo mo here actually would have helped the scene with adding in emotional music similar to the 1995 one. I agree it felt too fast when she was trying to pull the spider tank roof off.
>>
File: KITANO.jpg (207KB, 1024x581px) Image search: [Google]
KITANO.jpg
207KB, 1024x581px
So to the people who watched this, how much time is Takeshi Kitano on the film?
>>
>>81357344
>>81360982
>>81365123
re creating scenes and picking actors have nothing to do with it. Its about how one structures a movie

love transcending space and time is stupid and would also feel stupid to general audiences if it showed up in a generic sci fi movie. But nolan, like speilberg, crafts the movie so that the emotional punches land and the audience are more forgiving to the hamefisted moments.

the entire first half of interstellar is about a dad and his love for his daughter and their tearful separation and the MC hearts breaking at being separated from her. by space and time. so when this bullshit gets bring up general audiences just swallow it.

its shit pulling at peoples heartstrings but it does take skill to do which is why bravo nolan
>>
>>81365241
He gets a decent screen time, speaking Japanese while the others speak English
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 1024x576px
>>81356547
What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>81364925
Probably

I want to hear about movies where they ignored the test screening and were well received upon released
>>
>>81365188
The tank scene seemed to me to have fast mo. It came galloping in and when Major jumped on its back she'd barely touched the hatch before her back and arms suddenly exploded. Someone in my cinema actually started laughing.
>>
>>81358888
christ just give that tester a piece of paper with 'please turn over' written on both sides and let us have a cool maze
>>
>>81365270

Kitano doesn't give a fuck and it's great. he's also got the best line and the most badass scene in the movie.
>>
>>81352997
it's like Alien 3 all over again
>>
>>81365241
Best part of the movie, along with GoT guy as Batou.

Question: Did they call the tank "tachikoma" in the original? Because they sure did in our dub and it triggered me.
>>
>>81353184
underrated
>>
>>81353470
I just marathoned the first ten minutes.
ican't seem to be able to gop farther
>>
File: Man_Bat_transformation.jpg (17KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Man_Bat_transformation.jpg
17KB, 400x300px
>Removing possibly the best scene from the movie which would have made Batman Forever a great movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3HwRnU4ryM
>>
The trailer had some blood spurts that didn't look very PG-13, did they remove those?
>>
File: 1633273478.png (476KB, 1059x446px) Image search: [Google]
1633273478.png
476KB, 1059x446px
>Instead of the over the top action ending, Die Hard 3 ended on a more personal dialogue level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GqY-M5fE4

Can anyone think of anymore examples of test screen audiences fucking up movies?
>>
>>81366341
>did they remove those?
Yes they did. We can only hope we get an extended cut
>>
>>81366363
Every horror movie put out by Dimension.
>>
File: GrenadeSceneSuicideSquad.png (1MB, 1543x899px) Image search: [Google]
GrenadeSceneSuicideSquad.png
1MB, 1543x899px
>>81366363
>>
>>81352997
>So it looks like this is another case of I Am Legend.
Wait did I Am Legend have more deleted scenes or was it just the alternate ending that got every pissed with them changing it?
>>
File: KTOPP638_01.jpg (66KB, 591x1000px) Image search: [Google]
KTOPP638_01.jpg
66KB, 591x1000px
>>81353502
>She's cute as fuck...
Not as cute as the Arise major
>>
File: KOT11517.jpg (38KB, 752x564px) Image search: [Google]
KOT11517.jpg
38KB, 752x564px
>>81366514
>weebs prefer the SAC version of Major over this one
>>
>>81366514
>>81366532

Arise Major is shit and you should be ashamed of liking that design
>>
>>81352997
After seeing shit tons of articles to "explain" the sequence of dream events in Inception. I've lost faith in the general IQ of the public.

How the fuck can people not follow the simple plot line. The dream insertion sequence was fucking explained to death in the movie and people still "get lost".

Nothing of intellectual weight would be aired in US, not that GitS is "deep". It's a philosophy 101 with some social commentary on technology.
>>
File: s-l500 (2).jpg (26KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500 (2).jpg
26KB, 333x500px
>>81366544
>Arise Major is shit and you should be ashamed of liking that design
What is seriously wrong with you?

This is way better than the SAC one who walks around with Knickers basically
>>
>>81366558
>After seeing shit tons of articles to "explain" the sequence of dream events in Inception.
wait what? people seriously couldn't work out how they were put in a dream world? I've only seen the first 10 minutes and understood it well. Never finished it for some reason and I know I need to
>>
>>81366025
They've always been tachikoma
>>
>>81366581
Just go on youtube or google and search "inception explained" or similar.
>>
>>81366562

SAC major is too slutty, IMO. Though she's got a MILF vibe going on that's interesting. Best major is the one from the first movie.
>>
>>81363963
>>81364214
If you had the misfortune of watching the 2014 Robocop reboot, the Hanka corp bullshit will be painfully familiar.
>>
>>81366637
SAC Major is intentionally sexy, but I still find 1995 Major sexier.
>>
>>81352997
>w-we made a g-good movie, guys, p-promise
>it was those s-stupid test audiences that r-ruined it

Yes, yes. Just like how the extended cut of BvS fixed that movie.
>>
>>81366562
It isn't the costume design people don't like. Its the general character design.
>>
File: e918a2d0-noscale.jpg (80KB, 515x484px) Image search: [Google]
e918a2d0-noscale.jpg
80KB, 515x484px
>>81366598
No. They had a different name for every think tank model used in various TV series. Tachikomas are picrelated. The spider tank is.. just a tank.
>>
File: freedom options.gif (721KB, 370x271px) Image search: [Google]
freedom options.gif
721KB, 370x271px
>>81356695
>Well, gee, I wonder what a test audience in the country of Trump would think about such a movie. I'm not surprised.
(you)
>>
>>81366797
>this movie bombed so we will never get a sequel with cute, quipping femtanks

Feels bad, man.
>>
>>81365012
Can we get some love for Takeshi Kitano? Him and Asbaek absolutely nailed their roles.
>>
>>81366807

has it, though? It probably has in the US, that was a given, but I thought it would do well in europe and asia.
>>
>the movie was better before we changed everything

ah, I see they're going for the Suicide Squad, Fantastic Four defence.
>>
>>81366793
>It isn't the costume design people don't like. Its the general character design.
Well you are wrong. She looks the best here
>>
>>81366810

Yeah, as bas as Asbaek is in Game of Thrones, him and Beat Takeshi nail the fuck out of it in this movie. it's a pity there's so few scenes with the secondary cast from Section 9, they were all pretty good. Would've loved for Togusa to have more screentime and a bit more conflict with his overly cybernetic counterparts.
>>
>>81352997
>butchering a movie because the studio wants to dumb it down for "general audiences" aka braindead plebs
yeah this never works, either make the movie dumb in the first place, or roll out the original cut and hope it gets enough traction so that plebs will pretend to like it too.
>>
>>81352997

if i didn't know that union regulations in hollywood force the scripts to be at least 80% original content i could believe there is a more faithful cut out there since dumbing down GITS for Americans it is plausible.

Still the original GITS should not be as difficult to understand these days... it's been like 20 years and most of the themes and complex concepts have been adapted on tons of american movies since.

I can get that they would still fail at the narrative but they should be able to at least get the story right by now...

Just imagine if they had tried to adapt Innocence instead jajaja
>>
op sounds like a shill
also
>GAF
are you from /v/ kiddo
>>
>>81366562
Costume is great, but her shell is fucking boring and has precisely zero defining features outside the blue hair.
>>
>>81366828
I don't think it opened in China and Japan yet, but they're already predicting this will cost the studio $60 million+ in losses.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office-loss-60-million-a7671746.html
>>
>>81366865

She looks like a frumpy loli. So no.
>>
>>81352997
Nothing was gonna save this movie. It could have been a perfect 10/10 and it still would have lost money. It's a matrix like movie in the era of super heroes. If they wanted to make this, it should have been 15 years ago.
>>
File: Section 9 .webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Section 9 .webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>81366810
I really liked the guy who played Ishikawa too. A shame he didn't have much screen time.
>>
>>81366890

It did come out 20 years ago, before The Matrix. Nobody gave a shit in the west because it was animated.
>>
File: image-w856.jpg (80KB, 856x482px) Image search: [Google]
image-w856.jpg
80KB, 856x482px
>>81364577
>Remember the bit at the start where the scientist says to the major "your body was destroyed so we gave you a new one... a new SHELL. But your mind is still yours, you have your soul... your GHOST

The amount of times they randomly repeated "GHOST" and "SHELL" randomly throughout the movie was honestly cringe-inducing. They should've handled it in another way, say, with Kuze randomly saying the terms once or twice, and the viewer can interpret it as ravings of his mechanical-enhanced mind. The word "ghost" is the most jarring of the two, "shell" sounds like a neat way to refer to Motoko's body.

These nomenclatures were going to sound weird no matter what because of the Jap's tendency to grab random words in english and change them, like "Death note" instead of "Death notebook". I'm not sure the recurrent use of these two words was product of the focus testing though. It seemed pretty integrated into the plot.

Anyway, until I don't see a director's cut that delivers on what these rumor promise, I'm not buying the "muh audiences are dumb so I had to dumb the movie down" excuse. And if it did happen that way, I have no sympathy for studio execs because it's a blatant cash-grabbing move that throws all semblance of artistic integrity out the window. Whatever the cause for this shitshow was, I hope someone in the higher tiers of the chain of command learned a lesson, to not make tailored pieces of garbage and take for granted that audiences will consume them.
>>
>>81366883

It's a pity. I was hoping for a cyberpunk comeback.
>>
>>81366900
I wonder what kind of explanation they had for his name and skin color.
>>
>>81364606
>and kept the Japanese eye prosthetic

Didn't they keep it to a degree though? I swear her eyes looked smaller throughout sections of the movie.
>>
>>81366941
Ishikawa looks half Black anyway in the anime
>>
>>81358554
>be By done by

What did she mean by this?
>>
File: BatouSmug.png (362KB, 780x421px) Image search: [Google]
BatouSmug.png
362KB, 780x421px
>3 minutes into driving with Batou and he gives you this look
>>
>>81366920
I'm honestly amazed that people didn't see an Americanized plot coming. It was always going to happen (think about how Hollywood would feel about the Major's long-winded monologue on the boat), it was just a question of how big of a shit show it was going to be.
>>
File: 026534437.png (572KB, 782x421px) Image search: [Google]
026534437.png
572KB, 782x421px
>It's a Batou gets shocked by a tranny episode
>>
>>81366920
The weirdest thing is that there is literally no reason for them to come up with special therm for human's identity since full body cyborgs and cyber brains are not a thing in a movie universe. The only reason they refer to it as a GHOST is because the original did.

Whoever made the script did not know what he was doing. The only people I feel bad for in this are actors and VFX crew.
>>
I doubt I would even be happy with thenoriginal version. It still sounds too watered down from the original.

Hell. You know what would have worked? A separate story just set in the GitS universe. Maybe in America.
>>
File: Section 9 go go go.png (238KB, 780x424px) Image search: [Google]
Section 9 go go go.png
238KB, 780x424px
>>
File: Molly-Brazilian-Cover.jpg (26KB, 821x617px) Image search: [Google]
Molly-Brazilian-Cover.jpg
26KB, 821x617px
Should have just adapted this and avoided the whole whitewashing controversy while maintaining the cool cyberpunk aesthetic.

But no, 'muh weeb cartoons.'
>>
i fell asleep halfway through this shit. way too hollywoodized, and less "artsy" than i expected.
>>
>>81366957
No he does not. He looks asian and he's got a japanese name. All of them Sec 9 boys, aside for maybe Batou, Boma and Motoko, look asian in every iteration of GitS.
>>
>>81365136
But it's not going to have been any good, is it? Be honest with yourself. David Ayer is just some mid-card vermin, he's not going to have had anything interesting to say, it's just going to be more setup, but Margot Robbie is still going to have been a photoshoot in search of a performance, Leto is still going to be a non-actor, Smith is still going to have been a washup feeling lucky to be employed. Every bit of its tone is still going to have been self-defeatingly out of whack with the films it's meant to share a "universe" with.
>>
>>81366771
Yep. We need to be honest about the director's cut meme, it's been bullshit since Blade Runner started it, merely a way of redeeming an investment.
>>
File: batou.png (876KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
batou.png
876KB, 1280x800px
So anyone else had issues with the cinematography?

Maybe it's because I had Blade Runner on my mind but I think a futuristic cyberpunk movie like this should allow you to feel the atmosphere. You should see the environment. It should be moody. But instead the camera was always close. Often with a blurred background that didn't really make you feel how the characters are in the environment. It looked like a fan film that didn't have the budget for detailed environments. Just look at this image from the animated movie. You an see the city in the background in detail. In the movie it was blurred. I admit I have no idea of film making techniques but the lighting looked "flat". Like they used very simple lighting setups for all scenes. Making it look like a fan film. There was too much CGI. It looked like a video game. Lacking the sense of scale and atmosphere like something like Blade Runner.
>>
>>81367129
>So anyone else had issues with the cinematography?
Only thing I didn't like was the camera birdseye view when Major shoots the guys at beginning.

Rest of cinematography was great
>>
>>81367011
They needed all the familliar characters. They could have taken some liberty for sure. Change the setting and plot completely with some easter eggs here and there, make it less pretentious and more of a buddy cop movie with Motoko and Batou as main characters, focus more on Section 9 guys since them working as a team was the best part of the movie anyway.

They played it safe and tried to please everyone, and we got this weird Oni / Human Revolution / Robocop 2014 / GitS mashup instead of a competent movie.

Doubt it would have made any money anyway, but at least we'd had one good anime adaptation and one good cyberpunk movie more.
>>
>>81366890
$70,000,000 is still a lot of money anon.

They could have made it 10/10 with a third of the budget.
>>
File: yajco-angela-scene.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yajco-angela-scene.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>81367129
It's fine and leagues ahead of most of the capeshit.

Oshii is (or at least was) in a totally different league, he was a genius filmmaker who worked with some of the best animators and background artists in industry.
>>
>>81365012
Did The Chief speak English in this?
>>
File: 2364367434587.png (384KB, 793x402px) Image search: [Google]
2364367434587.png
384KB, 793x402px
>Did The Chief speak English in this?
No just Japanese
>>
>>81367306

Nope. Kitano spoke Japanese all through the movie and didn't give a fuck.
>>
File: BatouDrivingReaction.webm (305KB, 720x378px) Image search: [Google]
BatouDrivingReaction.webm
305KB, 720x378px
>>81367484
>posts Man of Steel woman
>thinks his opinion of the movie will be taken seriously
>>
>>81367484
>DC Snydertard.
>Only thing they liked was the car.
>>
File: PoliceComparison.png (1MB, 1532x946px) Image search: [Google]
PoliceComparison.png
1MB, 1532x946px
>>
>>81352997
Do we get to see nippies in this movie?
>>
>>81366376
>We can only hope we get an extended cut
oh there will be one or maybe even several. they'll need every sold BD they can get to reduce their losses on this financial disaster.
>>
>>81367739
>Do we get to see nippies in this movie?
We saw her side tits when she undresses on the boat
>>
>>81367756
>oh there will be one or maybe even several. they'll need every sold BD they can get to reduce their losses on this financial disaster.
NO JOKE I WILL BUY AS MANY EDITIONS THEY RELEASE TO SUPPORT THE MOVIE
>>
File: 36536347.png (221KB, 483x391px) Image search: [Google]
36536347.png
221KB, 483x391px
I loved this girl
>>
File: Ra8RXZh.png (2MB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
Ra8RXZh.png
2MB, 800x430px
>>81366981
>>81367005

In retrospect it's a bit obvious that something like this was going to happen. The movie seems to grab onto superficial aspects of the 1995 movie and some of the series without truly understanding that it was that made them great. It seemed to methodically dissect some scenes, remaking them almost shot for shot, without taking into account the context of the rest of the movie, stripping them of meaning.

>>81367129

The problem with the cinematography was that, as I just said, it was trying to mimic the cinematography of many scenes of the original movie, without truly understanding them. And if you don't understand why a scene is shot a certain way, you can't use the composition as a storytelling device that holistically immerses you in the universe you are trying to show the audience, along with other elements such as the script and soundtrack. At the same time, the composition of the shots is subtly changed but enough so that the meaning that was trying to be conveyed is lost.

The shot in this picture for example, was supposed to be an establishing shot for the Major, and at the same time an establishing shot of the setting we are about to go into. A wide angle makes close things appear closer, and far things, farther away, which works compositionally in a stylistic manner, and for the viewer to get a sense of scale, the grand scope of things of which what we are seeing is only a minuscule part of. As the major loses herself in the city, we get sucked along with her and into the story.

In the live action movie, this is inexplicably changed to the ending, with a flat awkward angle of ScarJo flicking her hand through her face and even the rhythm of the thermo-optic camouflage itself is changed, so not even her passing her hand though her face makes sense.
>>
>>81367027
neuromancer would maybe not have had the same whitewashing controversy (cucks would still have whined about how the protags are white and that the portrayal of the rastafarians was #problematic) but it DEFINITELY would have had to deal with that other common complaint thrown GITS' way, namely "it's a rip-off of THE MATRIX!" very wrong but even moreso than GITS, Gibson's book has been picked clean to the bones by 30 years of films/comics/anime/computer games stealing parts of it. that is why it hasn't been filmed yet and why it never will be. the window of doing so closed around 1992.
>>
>>81367813
>>
>>81356358
Keanu could do it
>>
File: ladriya-1488230592532_1280w.gif (361KB, 640x1138px) Image search: [Google]
ladriya-1488230592532_1280w.gif
361KB, 640x1138px
>>81367845
>>
It literally does not matter. Rupert is an executive producer they slap behind the camera when nobody wants to do a project that has been written and rewritten 8 times over.

It's like arguing over cuts of Blade Runner; The right scenes were never shot, the right dialogue never written. Except Ridley Scott is a god tier master at setpieces and atmosphere, so you ignore that the movie is a bastardization of the source material.
>>
File: float2.jpg (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
float2.jpg
337KB, 1920x1080px
>>81367831

In this other shot, Motoko rising to the surface was supposed to be a callback to her shelling sequence, of her being born into her cybernetic body, and a foreshadowing to her merging her consciousness with the puppet master. Motoko is in an existencial crisis, striving for meaning in her life, in a way attempting to return to life in the womb while her inevitable future and the answer to all her questions stares her in the face unknowingly.

Of course nothing like this is conveyed in the live action, only a recreation of the scene for the sake of reference, a scene for the audience to go "oh that was from the anime! Cool!" without any of the significance or even sense of photographic composition of the original.

I could probably go on but it'd be a pointless exercise, you get the point.
>>
File: 12523473.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
12523473.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>81367864
>>
File: 1367348.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1367348.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>81367898
>>
>>81367786
I wanted to try and make a fancut of a movie some day. I think I might do it with this.
>>
>>81367882
When Mr Cutter dies, his body falls back into water and sinks. I found this poetic with Major rising out of the water after diving in the earlier scene.
>>
Has it opened in China yet? Box office rose an extra $10 million which isn't much so whether that's from China and Japan
>>
File: 1491301708352.webm (655KB, 1280x690px) Image search: [Google]
1491301708352.webm
655KB, 1280x690px
>>81367831

For comparison.
>>
>>81368037
That's the ending of the movie so isn't exactly a comparison to same scene
>>
>>81368037
>In the live action movie, this is inexplicably changed to the ending, with a flat awkward angle of ScarJo flicking her hand through her face and even the rhythm of the thermo-optic camouflage itself is changed, so not even her passing her hand though her face makes sense.
>>81368054
>In the live action movie, this is inexplicably changed to the ending, with a flat awkward angle of ScarJo flicking her hand through her face and even the rhythm of the thermo-optic camouflage itself is changed, so not even her passing her hand though her face makes sense.
oops I didn't read your full comment

Look they were never trying to fully copy the 1995 movie and using references here and there I am fine with. I liked that they tried to do their own thing without just copying scene by scene
>>
File: 3263474374.png (212KB, 772x397px) Image search: [Google]
3263474374.png
212KB, 772x397px
>>81367831
Sometimes I wish there was /tv/ guide books to movies. Some of the stuff I find here is extremely informative
>>
>>81367831
>only her face is visible while the rest is invisible, being symbolic of her face symbolizing her ghost and her invisible body being her shell
WOAH
>>
>>81367005
This isn't the first American movie to use the phrase "Ghost" when referring to living things in robots.

Remember I, Robot

But yeah, I don't remember any other parts of the movie mentioning Ghost apart from the beginning (unless you want to argue the HANK personnel just liked to call her living brain a Ghost and that was her way of explaining)
>>
File: enhanced-13745-1407634317-12.jpg (26KB, 537x365px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-13745-1407634317-12.jpg
26KB, 537x365px
>>81352997
I feel smug satisfaction that I have no want to watch this movie and will most likely die an old man without ever having seen it.
>>
>>81367129
>You an see the city in the background in detail. In the movie it was blurred
you can't have an entire movie be in deep focus with high f numbers, especially if it's set mostly at night.

Mid shots almost always have blurred backgrounds because that's how the lens focusing works. They put in a shit ton of exposition shots so it's not like they were hiding the cityscapes.

But your overall problem with the cinematography has merits. It doesn't utilise the backdrops as much as Blade Runner does. That film had the pacing and mood to immerse you fully into its world. This just felt too rushed and the city was merely wallpaper.
>>
>>81367831
Are you able to work out where this deleted scene fits in the movie?
>>81355496

Scarjo visiting the place where Motoko used to go maybe?
>>
Are there any instances where test audiences arguably saved a film?
>>
>>81363477
What cut of the movie has Deckard driving with the replicant? I hated that ending since it feels like it's from a complete different movie.

The ending where he finds the paper dove and then exists in the elevator is the canon ending to me.
>>
>>81367880
>The right scenes were never shot, the right dialogue never written.
I'll argue only one scene; the controversial eyeshine "Deckhard is a replicant" scene. Whether you believe he is or not, that studio light was set up in that specific spot so the camera would pick up reflections from Ford's retinas. Ridley denies it being intentional but somebody intended it.
>>
>>81368220
only after the fact through DVD sales. Donnie Darko is a big example, though that had great reviews.

Grassroots campaigns rarely work. if they did, we'd have Dredd 2 by now.
>>
>>81368220
>Are there any instances where test audiences arguably saved a film?
Rogue One. The Darth Vader ending I am sure is a reshoot.

>mfw Angryjoe stated on his Rogue One trailer reaction video that he wanted an ending where it was all dark and suddenly you hear Vader's lightsaber and Vader starts killing people
The irony that that is what we got. But AngryJoe said he wanted this to happen to the Rogue One rebels. I am glad it wasn't them and just random rebels Vader killed.
>>
>>81368220
>>81368258
oh wait I misread your post. didn't see you mean TEST audiences.
>>
>>81368258
>DVD sales
So if GitS still doesn't do well at the box office this coming weekend, can the blu ray sales help their profits?
>>
>>81368267

Forgot about Rogue One. I remember that the original movie had the cast surviving.
>>
>>81368207
Personally I'm wondering if she dived into one of those super-brain networks and all the people inside are meditating. Possible insidious angle, they were ghost-hacked to believe they are monks so that while they meditate most of their brain function is freed up for processing power.
>>
File: Blade_Runner_6.jpg (199KB, 1600x662px) Image search: [Google]
Blade_Runner_6.jpg
199KB, 1600x662px
>>81368201
>They put in a shit ton of exposition shots so it's not like they were hiding the cityscapes.

For me they just lacked the scale. To mention Blade Runner again I can really feel how vast and dense the city is.
>>
>>81368334
>I remember that the original movie had the cast surviving.
nah they all died while trying to escape in the ship from what I read
>>
>>81368308
it's unlikely to happen. DVD sales saving films was kinda killed by streaming + same-day leaks.

t. yify
>>
File: ghost-in-the-shell-600x401.jpg (35KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell-600x401.jpg
35KB, 600x401px
>>81368346
>director for the 1995 movie rocks up on set of new movie while they film the most philosophical scene
>scene gets cut
Oh the irony
>>
>>81368228
Final Cut has the elevator ending. IIRC the Directors Cut has the driving ending, but also has all the "deckhard is a replicant" stuff so it's a little more like two skinjobs running away together to be happy.
>>
File: ghostintheshell.jpg (177KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
ghostintheshell.jpg
177KB, 1000x540px
>>81368358
And here the city just doesn't feel really big.
>>
>>81368358
you could probably make a GITS edit with slowed down exposition shots and a Vangelis sountrack and it'd already be 200% better.
>>
>>81368308
>So if GitS still doesn't do well at the box office this coming weekend, can the blu ray sales help their profits?
of course but some films never become profitable even after home video and decades of TV licenses. fight club and forrest gump are two examples of this. it is true that shawshank and donnie d. made their money mainly through home video but those were comparatively cheap productions and not $110 million before advertising like gits
>>
>>81352997
Why the fuck do they ever use test audiences? They're always fucking wrong.
>>
>>81368207

I was the one that actually made this post >>81356641

In buddhism, transcendence refers to a state of mind that renders you independent of the material universe. Kind of like what the puppet master was trying to do at the end of the 1995 movie, when he dispersed his consciousness merged with Motoko's to the internet.

So it could have made a cool visual reference to that concept, used earlier in the investigation, and at the same time contrasting with the guys who are being forcefully made to use their consciousness as a supercomputer later in the movie. Like a subversion/perversion of the transhuman capabilities of the technology they have.

This anon is probably right though >>81368346
>>
>>81368454
Looks like Disneyland
>>
File: Arise.png (593KB, 1889x989px) Image search: [Google]
Arise.png
593KB, 1889x989px
>Cyborg death squad murders
>Get put in the bodies of little human woman

Makes no sense, they should be completely reconfigured, all function, no form. Human appearances aren't need.
>>
File: gits_steelbook_1.jpg (205KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gits_steelbook_1.jpg
205KB, 1280x720px
>>81368454
what's funny is the anime could showcase so much depth when it wanted to.

in the shot you posted they faded the background with light so they didn't have to render any more lol.
>>
>>81368358
>>81368454
You know why? We kept going back to the same parts of town; the same geishabot adverts, koi fish and "CYBERCRIMES ALERT" billboards which makes the movie feel focused on one particular part of the city.

I'll grant them some leeway because that's an actual city in Hong Kong with pretty much only the holograms for embellishment, meaning they actually only had so much city to work with.
>>
>>81368542
only garbage mainstream crap gets tested. it shows you that these flicks you obsess about are just products and you test a product before you release it to the masses. it's how manufacturing works. now art films don't get tested because they are manifestations of the artist's vision and not beholden to what Joe Mouthbreath from Trailerpark, Ohio thinks.
>>
>>81368179

The "ghost in the machine" is an older concept than I, Robot. But the difference lies that in this case, "ghost" is used to refer to a spontaneous consciousness created randomly in a robot that wasn't designed or intended to exist.

In the Gits universe the concept is borrowed and changed to convey how commonplace full-body prosthetics have become, and how even your brain can be augmented to the point that some characters doubt whether they are truly alive or not. The movie lacks any of this.
>>
>>81368617
Will there ever be a high budget art film?
>>
>>81368643
Spring Breakers
>>
>>81367786
>I WILL BUY AS MANY EDITIONS THEY RELEASE TO SUPPORT THE MOVIE
scarlett will still never rub her fat body against your dick
>>
File: 26376437458.png (4MB, 2680x1240px) Image search: [Google]
26376437458.png
4MB, 2680x1240px
>>81368346
>Personally I'm wondering if she dived into one of those super-brain networks and all the people inside are meditating. Possible insidious angle, they were ghost-hacked to believe they are monks so that while they meditate most of their brain function is freed up for processing power.
WAIT. I THINK YOU MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING

So the people all connected in that room have been programmed to actually believe they are monks.

Major comes into the room and the "monks" notice her.

Major bows to one of the monks but actually is bowing to the center of the room which is where all them connected? idk

To explain how Major thinks she is in the Monk room, Kuze hacks her brain or does something to put her with the Monks maybe?

Kuze's way of putting her in some sort of simulation
>>
>>81368572
She isn't a tachikoma. She's a person.
>>
>>81368037
In 1995 movie it made sense since the only part of her body that was not properly camoed is her face, she had to wear a special veil that you can see after the fight on the water. Here she just does it for the sake of it.
>>
>>81368734

She's not going to be much of a person when she retires and the government takes back their property.
>>
File: Earthquake_LARGE.jpg (555KB, 1250x773px) Image search: [Google]
Earthquake_LARGE.jpg
555KB, 1250x773px
>>81368590
>in the shot you posted they faded the background with light so they didn't have to render any more lol.

Should've used matte paintings.

Movie renaissance when?
>>
>>81353393
Your link shows nothing from the OP
>>
File: CteMj1ZWEAA9j76.jpg (231KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
CteMj1ZWEAA9j76.jpg
231KB, 1200x675px
>>81368590
The backgrounds are simply gorgeous. Things look good when people actually care.
>>
>>81369010
The Geishas didn't look CGI.
>>
>>81369052
This. The Geishas were all practical
>>
as a long time fan of GiTS I enjoyed the movie adaptation, and honestly I thought I would hate it.

Sure they took their liberties and changed something here and there, but honestly I walked out of the theater thinking they'd done pretty well.
>>
>>81369201
What do you think they did well?
>>
>>81369201
I would have enjoyed it more if it didn't keep reminding me of Robocop 2014. That movie was nightmarishly bad and making me think about it is going to ruin my fun.
>>
>>81369252
It was actually no where near as bad as it though.
>>
File: 16lcvn7.jpg (129KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
16lcvn7.jpg
129KB, 1024x687px
>>81369252
it sadly had more in common with lady battle cop than anthing gits-related
>>
File: 1a2fb93839aa2df88a86cdfba1693336.jpg (220KB, 1600x666px) Image search: [Google]
1a2fb93839aa2df88a86cdfba1693336.jpg
220KB, 1600x666px
>>81369252
the film kept reminding me of Total Recall 2012 which I actually enjoyed a lot more.
>>
File: JohanssonPoliticsRun-640x480.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
JohanssonPoliticsRun-640x480.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
Breitbart are altering screencaps to make scarjo look ugly
>>
>>81369250
>>81369252

I don't like to rate things in a scale, because then I could nitpick all day long, and also I didn't have a hand in the creation so shoulda coulda woulda is out the window. ScarJo was a perfectly casted to play the major, who else could have fit?

I look at movies like, did you enjoy it? Yes/no? And when the movie was done I without a doubt felt that I enjoyed the two hours spent watching it, and that I even wanted to see it again.

The only thing I didn't like was the diversity in the characters that were absolutely supposed to be Japanese, but what can I do about that?
>>
>>81369370
>I don't like to rate things in a scale,
I rate you an 8/10 on the shill-o-meter

>The only thing I didn't like was the diversity in the characters
Wtf this guy is one of us I love gits 2017 now
>>
>>81369285
No it wasn't, but the whole Hanka corporation plot elements stunk of it, and like I said it kept reminding me of Robocop 2014, which is kind of like being reminded of something that made you vomit. You don't want to remember it but it keeps popping back into your head and OH GOD THEY PAINTED THE TANK BLACK AND GAVE IT RED EYES JUST LIKE THEY DID TO ED-209
>>
>>81369370

No offense mate but you sound like an absolute pleb, specially when this thread is full to the brim of detailed explanations about why the movie sucks, and the only thing that you didn't like was the whitewashing which was an absolute non-issue ramped up by shit-stirring clickbait-media.
>>
>>81369358
Technically wouldn't that mean they are doing a good thing? White washing is a big issue.
>>
>>81369434
>>81369466
And this is why everybody is entitled to their opinion, this is mine.

I didn't read 98% of the posts In this thread. Either you enjoy things or you don't and that's a pretty obvious personal feeling that you'll know when you feel it.
I even went home after the movie and watch the 1995 original just to see exactly what was different as I hadn't watch that in a little while, and the differences aside I still enjoyed it the 2017 adaptation.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>81369684
Saying "I liked/disliked it" without explanation is meaningless.
>>
>>81352997
Holy shit she looks like a literal 10/10 in this pic, does anyone have a full shot of her wearing that outfit
>>
>>81369684
>uh oh the post about how I didn't like the diversity didn't convince anyone. Damn I thought that would work
>I'll try saying I watched the 1995 movie and the new one is still good
>>
>>81369684

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that art is wholly subjective when the subjective part of art is only an extremely small, and often irrelevant, facet of it.
>>
>>81369869
You seem to be laboring under the delusion that cartoon tits for thirteen-year-old boys to wank to are "art". Only in the sense that a biro drawing of a cunt in a toilet cubicle is. Get adult or neck yourself.
>>
File: IMG_4398.jpg (158KB, 462x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4398.jpg
158KB, 462x533px
>>81369852
These are both things that actually happened, but you can tell yourself that people who have differing viewpoints are shills all day long if it makes you feel better
>>
File: 1491349764619.png (804KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491349764619.png
804KB, 1366x768px
>>81352997

These kinds of movies need chicks with big asses.
>>
>>81355496
>Symbolically submitting to the BBC

Kino.
>>
>>81369990
Now that's something I can hop into
>>
>>81369920
You seem to be laboring under the delusion that you are not a pretentious derping faggot and that your opinion may matter at all.
>>
>>81369962
Real posters don't care this much about convincing people to see a -bad- movie that's flopping hard. It's interesting to watch them squirm and try to blend in and fail at different tactics to generate interest.

Obvious outsiders are obvious
>>
>>81365948
I wonder what he thought about his hairstyle in the film.
>>
>>81367733
Call me a faggot if you want but I loved the Yakuza hitmen in that sequence. Shame about the suitcase guns, they were way cooler in the '95 movie
>>
File: 1424275357275.png (697KB, 1135x835px) Image search: [Google]
1424275357275.png
697KB, 1135x835px
>>81369684
>>
>>81370378
Nah the suitcase guns were awesome in this movie. Just that there was hardly any violence
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>81370378
>they were way cooler in the '95 movie

Well the Wachowskis plagarized all the interesting visuals (and not done anything interesting or groundbreaking since) which have since become Sci Fi staple tropes.
>>
>>81370042

Just remember there's nothing wrong about enjoying shit movies, you only have a problem when you can't separate "I liked this" from "This is good".
>>
>>81360982
>normie, normie, normie

Great analysis, retard
>>
>>81370197
>Not saying everything is shit and they hate it all, all the time.
>Must be outsiders
>>>
Seems legit.
>>
>>81370197
I only post on /tv/ after I see movies so yeah I guess you're right. Last one was John Wick 2
>>
>>81370661
Actually yes, that's exactly how it works.

>when the movie was done I without a doubt felt that I enjoyed the two hours spent watching it, and that I even wanted to see it again.

The marketer stink is palpable nobody posts like this. Especially not about a shitty hollywood remake of a much better film they claim to have seen.
>>
>>81369990
This is shooped, right? I always remember Moss' body being meh to look at even wrapped in skintight leather.
>>
>>81370884
Yes.
>>
>>81370884
I think so. I never understood people who drool over moss in the matrix you can see she's juuuuust on the borderline of having a second chin she's that saggy
>>
>>81370922
Topic derail but I always liked her casting because she was powerful and confident but had moments of believable tenderness that took her back from an "I am womyn hear me roar" stereotype, all while having average looks so you can barely accuse her of being there for eye candy.
>I'd turn gay for Fishburn rocking that purple undersuit in Reloaded though
>>
>>81370922
She was great and fit in first Matrix but suddenly went into skinny hag mode in sequels. I have no idea what happened.
>>
>>81371113
>all while having average looks so you can barely accuse her of being there for eye candy.

A little too average imo. She can a head like a half melted rubber bulldog
>>
>>81369302
I don't care if its utter shit, I still want to watch Lady Battle Cop at some point in my life.

Should be much better than Robo Vampire.
>>
>>81368454
Honestly, the city seemed more inspired by Akira than anything in GITS.
>>
>>81371310
or you know, bladerunner. One of the audiences they wanted
>>
File: scarjo-ghost-review-04apr17-12.jpg (59KB, 1100x732px) Image search: [Google]
scarjo-ghost-review-04apr17-12.jpg
59KB, 1100x732px
>>81371639
Hard to believe these are the same person
>>
File: Major.jpg (178KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
Major.jpg
178KB, 720x340px
>>81371639
>Give her contacts
>To look more like the Major
There you go.
>>
>>81352997
Once again, American stupidity ruining nice things.

I despise stupid fat amerimorons with all my might.
>>
sounds like a bad case of what happened to once upon a time in america
>>
>>81368012
just today
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/releaseinfo
>>
>>81353579
I read that book for a film class so can confirm. Sidney Lumet was based
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 74

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.