[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kieslowski's Tricolor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: bleu.jpg (33KB, 412x572px) Image search: [Google]
bleu.jpg
33KB, 412x572px
I just finished Blue, first movie of the trilogy, and I really did not care for it. Is there any point in watched the remaining two?

I felt like it was empty, and not in the intended way. Maybe it's "movies that men will never understand" but they all act like robots. The conversations are just pure garbage.
"Nothing is important" damn....
"Did he love you?" "Yes" "Good. That is what I wanted to know." "Will you hate me now?"
What the fuck kind of dialog is that?

You don't get to know any character outside of Julie except on a surface level. The piano guy could be replaced by a 6 foot cabinet that says "I love you."
The kid with the necklace has no impact on anything whatsoever.
The whore in the apartment building serves no purpose except to show what a "good and kind person Julie is - after all!"

I liked the photography and how the story was told but that's about hit. Majorly disappointed.

What did you think, anon?
>>
Are farthouse movies worth getting into when I could watch a DVD production of the average opera?
>>
>>81351150
You won't like the others.

Blue isn't about the things people say to each other with words but the things they say with their bodies and deeds; their involuntary hand movements, the moments they close their eyes.

Regarding Julie being the focus: Blue concerns both the complete freedom of the individual and the involuntary interconnectedness we all experience (Blue being more about the former while Red is more about the latter). To Julie the only truth is JULIE, and yet every person she meets has his or her own story. We all exist in pure loneliness. Main characters of our own stories populating the lives of others as just extras, or, yes, a 6 foot cabinet that says "I love you.".

Three Colors is not for everyone and while being ostensibly accesible and conventional in form it's a far cry from American movies or normal narrative cinema. You might like it more when you're older.
>>
White is funny. I honestly don't rmember rouge at all.
>>
>>81351395
There's a lot of good art house to be honest.
Although I dislike most french movies. Maybe it's just the frenchies that rub me the wrong way.
>>
>>81351150
>You don't get to know any character outside of Julie except on a surface level. The piano guy could be replaced by a 6 foot cabinet that says "I love you."
Because it's not about them you fucking idiot. What obligation is there to explore ever facet of every character's being? Is this your first fucking movie? How are you this retarded?
And no don't watch the rest because Blue is the best and you should kill yourself for being so stupid.
>>
>>81351150

You need a high emotional IQ to understand this film, Anon. They don't act like robots. This movie is just too subtle for you.
>>
>>81351430
>Blue isn't about the things people say to each other with words but the things they say with their bodies and deeds; their involuntary hand movements, the moments they close their eyes.
Yeah sure, that's given from the sparse amount of dialog. But the writing when they actually do speak feels extremely flat.

>To Julie the only truth is JULIE, and yet every person she meets has his or her own story. We all exist in pure loneliness. Main characters of our own stories populating the lives of others as just extras, or, yes, a 6 foot cabinet that says "I love you.".
This is an interesting thought but I don't know if this was intentional. I mean, from watching the movie, there isn't much JULIE either.
I liked how the flute man was in the periphery, just an enigma she sees in her day-to-day life. That was actually my favorite part of the movie, outside of the beautiful photography of the first 20 minutes.

I feel like much of the symbolism feels forced and stretched; the old lady recycling bottles, the bungee jumpers on TV etc.

>Three Colors is not for everyone
sure
>it's a far cry from American movies or normal narrative cinema. You might like it more when you're older.
There's no need to patronize, anon. I enjoy plenty of art films. I just happen to feel that this movie gave me nothing.
>>
>>81351613
>main characters entire life unravels
>she's adamant to kill herself until she's actually at the brink of suicide and decides she can't do it
>decides to live the rest of her life as a recluse
"oh ok, I like where this is going, this could be interesting"
>dude she gets her redemption by co-writing a piece of music she tried to destroy
>also her husbands mistress is having a baby
I mean there's no character development in between. She helps her prostitute friend in need, but would she not do that if it had happened to her earlier?
She's able to let go of her husband when she finds out he had loved another woman, and the child he has left behind is a shot of redemption. Where in all this is her five year old fucking daughter who died in a car crash?
>>
>>81351647
My intention wasn't to patronize. I'm sorry.
>>
Blue. To me, Personally is about letting go of the baggage. White is about rekindling what is lost. While Red is about finding another meaning on what constitutes love.
>>
>>81351872
>Blue. To me, Personally is about letting go of the baggage.
Yeah I felt like that's what the movie's aiming for. Redemption, leaving the horrors of the past etc. But the way Julie does that feels "fake" somehow. What bothers me the most is that she doesn't seem to be very bothered about her daughter.
Lots of focus on her husband. She wants his unfinished work destroyed, the music he wrote haunts her, she's very emotionally invested in his mistress, she sleeps with his colleague etc. After dealing with that, she lets it go.
She doesn't deal with the death of her child, the memories of her, the traces she has left or anything like that. Hell, outside of the first half hour, she might as well not have been in that car. That's not how motherhood works.
>>
I watched Red and the character motivations and dialogue were just so far-fetched. I realize what the director was trying to get at but half the shit the main character or the old man does is not in any way organic or even remotely believable.
>>
So am I watching this movie or am I looking for a Pamina that isn't fat?
>>
You may like White which is funnier and more straightforward, but you won't like Red which is pretty similar to Blue, both aesthetically and storytelling wise.
>>
>>81351150
All three movies are typical pretentious French garbage!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>81352008
Now that you mention it. The daughter was indeed dropped as a plot point. Its also pretty vague on what is she angry and suicidal in the hospital scene.
>>
>>81352155
>Its also pretty vague on what is she angry and suicidal in the hospital scene.
really anon

really
>>
>>81352173
I know he lost his husband and daughter but going on a self-destructive rampage is pretty weird and the nurses not calming her down is pretty jarring.
>>
>>81352234
>but going on a self-destructive rampage is pretty weird
Not really desu, I think many if not most people would do the same
>the nurses not calming her down is pretty jarring
I didn't have a problem with this. They probably understand. Besides, suicide is a thing that no one really knows how to deal with. I once had a conversation irl where one person said they had tried to kill themselves. You don't know what to answer really. Same here, she tried to try to kill herself. Like what do you do? She didn't go through with it. She's not in danger. She had fully valid reasons for wanting to die.
>>
>>81351150
R > W > B imo. So I'd suggest watching the other 2
>>
>>81352411
I guess that shed a bit of light in that scene. The hospital scene stands out to me due to it keeping the audience in the dark than most opening sequences. Its the part of the movie where you weren't given a clear view of her motivations yet.
>>
White is very different in its tone than the other two movies, it's very straight-forward and certainly has its flaws (much more apparent than the other two) because of it.
Don't have much to say about the other two as I mixed the two in my memory together. They weren't too different from its tone, also not very great.
To me, they were just standard art films. Yeah, they occasionally deliver something visually great without the need of words (as it's supposed to) and focus much more on character than the story... but they don't seem to differ too much from other art films. Not that every art film is the same, obviously, but they certainly feel the same. To me, seem the same.
>>
>>81351150
I liked it. You have to dig the climate Kieslowski and that god-tier composer of his create.
Don't fixate on plot and dialog so much.
>>
>>81352008
This is something, not caring about the child as much as the spouse, someone wrote a book about it recently. I don't believe it is the majority but it does happen. I'm kind of fascinated by it.
>>
>>81351150
Don't worry about taking crap for not liking it. You're very able to articulate what worked for you and what didn't, and so long as you can do that, your taste is your own. I've found that Kieslowski doesn't work much for me either. There's still a lot by him I've yet to watch, but I felt like you did about Veronique. It was about this "interconnected", but it must have been explored in a way I couldn't relate to at all. Of course I appreciate Kieslowski's visuals, and I respect and almost envy the fact that his films are very mount for some people, but nonetheless they don't seem to be for me. As it's a trilogy, I'd still watch the others, but that's because I'm pretty completionist about films
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.