[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes good comedy good? What makes bad comedy bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

What makes good comedy good? What makes bad comedy bad?
>>
Interesting, unique jokes, observations, gags, as opposed to stale, obvious, easy ones.

If physical comedy, the camera steps back, and allows the performer to perform. A bad comedy, not unlike an action film, would cut it up.
>>
Funny = good

Not funny = bad
>>
>>81308511
The audience has to be told when to laugh.
>>
if comedy is subjective then i suppose you can never pinpoint an exactly forumla
its like an experiment
hit and miss ...ect
>>
Timing.
>>
Comedy is only really funny when it happens in real life and sprungs naturally

For a example, a conversation with friends
>>
File: 1469061236600.jpg (84KB, 413x496px) Image search: [Google]
1469061236600.jpg
84KB, 413x496px
>>81308591
>>
>>81308570
>the camera steps back, and allows the performer to perform
can you elaborate?
>>
>>81308591
Funny can be bad though
>>
The thing to remember about comedy is if it bends, it's funny. If it breaks, it's not funny.
>>
>>81308570
Unique jokes aren't always good jokes though.
And just because a joke works on paper doesn't mean it'll work in action.

Like screenshots/quotes from Arrested Development are funny, but the show isn't.
>>
>>81308646
It can't just be timing.
>>
>>81308751
Picture it like a stage play, you're sitting watching a talented performer do a routine. If he's talented, it's a sight to behold, grace, whimsy, the punchline.

Now if you film that bit from 6 different angles, and edit it so it goes into a closeup, then wide, then behind him, etc. It messes up the flow and artistry of physical comedy, disorienting the viewer and draining the performer of his natural ability.
>>
>>81308830
>if it bends, it's funny. If it breaks, it's not funny.
and what the fuck does that mean
>>
>>81308928
Comedy is tragedy plus time.
>>
>>81308511
seriousness
just look at police squad and airplane
>>
>>81308926
Alright, I get that, but what's physically funny?
>>
>>81308968
>Comedy is tragedy plus time.
AND I'M SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?
>>
File: 1457804870439.gif (1014KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1457804870439.gif
1014KB, 500x375px
>>81309148
Not sure what you're asking. What is physical comedy? Buster Keaton, Chaplin, Jim Carrey, Kramer, etc
>>
>>81309176
The night Lincoln was shot, you couldnt joke about it, you just couldnt do it. Now, time has gone by, and now it's fair game. See what I mean, it's tragedy plus time.
>>
bump for actual answers wtf
>>
>>81309200
Kramer? Do you have any videos I can watch on physical comedy that's actually funny? Or exmaples. Don't link Every Frame a Painting.
>>
>>81309240
I guess, but that doesn't apply to all comedy.
Or even half of comedy.
>>
>>81309492
Man, it's not exactly rocket science. Look up whatever you'd like on your own.

And yes, Michael Richards is an extremely gifted physical comedian.
>>
>>81309535
I've never seen Seinfeld, and I can't think of any actual instance where I laughed based solely off an actor or character's movements.

I used to watch Pink Panther cartoons a lot as a kid, but they're not that funny watching them now.
>>
File: 1471719215381.jpg (31KB, 387x772px) Image search: [Google]
1471719215381.jpg
31KB, 387x772px
>>
File: 136909563059.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
136909563059.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>>81309766
>I've never seen Seinfeld, and I can't think of any actual instance where I laughed based solely off an actor or character's movements.
>>
>>81310865
this post means nothing.
>>
>>81311295
wut?
>>
subtlety

its why TRUMP BAD comedy willl never really be funny, but the "alt right" will be blamed anyway whenever it falls flat
>>
>>81311570
Your posts means nothing, you're not saying anything.
>>
>>81312051
>its why TRUMP BAD comedy willl never really be funny, but the "alt right" will be blamed anyway whenever it falls flat
>>
>>81313498
yup still waitin for a real answer
>>
>>81308646
This. You can make most jokes work with good timing.
>>
>>81313882
prove it
>>
>>81314037
haha good one well timed
>>
Like, we can all agree that SNL is bad, and we can all mostly agree that Eric Andre, American Dad, and Curb Your Enthusiasm are funny.

But why?
>>
>>81314247
That's subjective not everyone perceives humour the same way
>>
>>81314114
go fuck yourself.
>>
>>81308511
this is honestly one of the hardest questions to answer.

and the only one I can give is that its utterly dependent on "Who".
some people are natural comedians, the same is true of actors. It's like playing an instrument or painting a picture...there is a degree of natural talent to it.

I will say though there is absolutely nothing WORSE than a bad comedy to try and sit through.
>>
File: Stewart_Lee_500x400.jpg (75KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Stewart_Lee_500x400.jpg
75KB, 500x400px
>>81308511
stuff that makes you think not direct flat out disgusting piece of shits that you americans seems to love so much

good comedians are:

1. Stewart Lee
2. Russell Brand
3. Stephen Fry / Gervais
>>
>>81314331
ho ho
>>
>>81314334
>I will say though there is absolutely nothing WORSE than a bad comedy to try and sit through.
Maybe it'd be easier to define what makes a good comedy by identifying what makes a bad comedy.

Good comedy movies find humor in serious situations.
Good comedy movies rely on comedic characters, not comedic situations.
Now you.
>>
File: ydEOVjm.jpg (27KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
ydEOVjm.jpg
27KB, 360x240px
Is a comedy good if it's funny or witty or irreverent?

Yes very much probably so. A comedy movie doesn't need to have either much going through constantly within it nor mount an impenetrable structure organized by chance for the sake of it. However, these two characteristics can compliment the comedy movie (can think of Tati's 50s comedies as an example) but it's also meaning that making a movie with higher levels of complexity becomes more puzzling and difficult for the viewer to plunge into.

Comedies are generally hard to make, so the movie just being somewhat funny and not making the designed comedy bits fall apart or feel gratuitous is excellent, in the end of the day it's all subjective though and what makes every one of us smile isn't the same
>>
>>81314382
It doesn't have to make you think, pompous limey cunt. That's just a style.

Norm MacDonald is literally the opposite of that and objectively one of the best alive.
>>
>>81321363
so basically what you're saying is:
>Making good comedies is hard, it's much easier to make serious movies that are funny sometimes
Like, Sing Street wasn't a flat out comedy, but it was hilarious.
Then you have movies like 21 and 22 Jump Street which are straight comedies, but great movies too.
>>
Can we all agree that the original Ghostbusters is shit and not funny?

I hate comedies that try to be more clever than funny.
>>
>>81321766
no, it has a lot of funny moments
>>
>>81323123
this is the only funny scene in the entirety of the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-RVJnK0RY
>>
I dont find any comedy funny
>>
>>81323709
kill yourself.
>>
I think complaining comedy (what's the deal with airline food?) and physical/gag comedy is good

I don't like the randumb humor or pop culture references in place of jokes like parks and rec did
>>
>>81324623
"Complaining comedy" only works in stand up though.
Physical humor is mostly terrible.

I can't think of anything off the top from Parks & Rec that was random, the jokes were mostly character driven.
>>
>>81324623
Like when we find out Leslie was born in Eagleton it's funny (in theory) because we know how much she loves Pawnee, and it came at a point in the show where she had just published a book about Pawnee.

The comedy was in seeing stress and her reaction to the reveal.
>>
File: Download.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>81323709
>TROW HIS ASS OUT. HES A NIGGER. HES A NIGGER. HES A NIGGER.

you dont find this funny?
>>
bump I guess
>>
>>81308714
I don't get why people post these really ambiguous reaction images. What's the point?
>>
>>81308511
Differing points of view on the same thing. Strong perspectives clashing. This is what separates successful humor from drivel.

Think Anchorman vs Dukes of Hazard.

Ron Burgundy has a strong perspective which is constantly challenged by his new straight laced co-anchor, leading him to have to explain how he sees the world.

Dukes of Hazard: The dukes are never challenged as to why they see the world as they do. They never have to explain their own view of the world.
>>
>>81308511
truth is what makes comedy good
>>
reddit is funny guys get over it
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.