[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When Bilbo uses the ring at his birthday party, Gandalf acts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: precious.jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
precious.jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
When Bilbo uses the ring at his birthday party, Gandalf acts like he didn't know about the ring.
Yet when Bilbo says precious, Gandalf says it has been called that before. Implying he knew Bilbo had it.
So, which is it?
>>
>>81220633
Gandalf knew Bilbo had some magic ring but not The One.
Lazy wizard cunt could have checked way earlier it's not like he's doing anything worthwile after the party
>>
>>81220719
we he hunts Gollum for 5 years or something ridiculous.
>>
Far as I remember in the book, Gandalf doesn't see him use the ring during the party. Bilbo just leaves the ring for him. This is 25 years ago when I read it though.
>>
He starts suspecting that it's the one ring when Bilbo calls it "precious" because Gandalf knows that it has the power to make people obsessed with it. He then travels to Minas Tirith to read up on the ring where he learns about the fire trick, then goes back to test it.
>>
Just going off of movie inferences: Gandalf knew he had a magic ring, just not the One Ring™. The party scene probably sealed his suspicions, though. Cue Bilbo's farewell scene, followed by Gandalf doing his research to figure out what it means.
>>
We talking movie or books here?
>>
I wish the movie was more clear about timelines
>>
>>81220633
You said it yourself: he *acts* like he didn't know about the ring. But he knew about Bilbo's magic ring, for years, he just didn't know it was the Ruiling Ring until he tossed it into Frodo's fire in FotR.
>>
>>81220633
I don't get it. Isn't the whole premise that Sauron can instantly detect where you are when you wear the ring, hence the Hobbits's not supposed to wear it on their journey to destroy it, because Sauron's big fucking eye instantly seeing them?

So why, when Bilbo puts it on, doesn't Sauron instantly know where it is and and send a giant raid party to rape and pillage the Shire and get it back?
>>
>>81220633

Why didn't they ride the eagles to the death start?
>>
File: sam.jpg (52KB, 950x392px) Image search: [Google]
sam.jpg
52KB, 950x392px
I have a use
For You
>>
>>81220756
>Thinks it's only 5 years
>Thinks that is ridiculously long to find a single fucknugget in all of Middle Earth, on whom your only lead is that at some point he lived in one of the caves in a certain area of the Misty Mountains and all 0 people he interacted with outside of Bilbo referred to him as Gollum.
Come again?
>>
>>81221024
There's a 30 year time after Bilbo's birthday in the books in which Sauron's power is growing, movies leave that out. Bilbo was using the ring all the time in the book, Sam even saw him vanishing when he hid from the Sackville-Bagginses.
>>
>>81221024
Sauron didn't know yet that the Ring had been found so his GPS was turned off to save energy.
>>
The scene where Gandalf confronts Bilbo about leaving the ring behind is the best in the trilogy

Prove me wrong
>>
>>81221149
You...you just want to keep that scene for yourself!
>>
>>81221024
The War of the Ring has yet to begin.
Don't forget that Gollum played with the damn thing for who knows how long, and he wasn't hunted down either, because Sauron didn't have his forces ready yet.

You can't just casually wage war on the Free Peoples unless you've got the army to back your conquest up. Sauron's playing for keeps, and he takes no chances when he has a choice.
>>
>>81221024
when bilbo put the ring on, it was like 80 years before frodo gets the ring, sauron was still dead, when frodo puts it on, Sauron is alive, like how voldimort was dead in HP1, then he was a spirit, then an actual body
>>
why were there no black people in middle earth?
>>
>>81221209
It was a different time....
>>
>>81221209
Why would there be?
>>
>>81221209
They are called orcs, hence the "black speech".
>>
>>81221209
Because Tolkien was racist rural drumpfkin retard.
>>
>>81221209
What are you talking about? There where tons of them, they all just go for the bad guys.

Also OP, BOTH the movie and the book LotR explains Gandalf knew he had a magic ring, and that there are several magic rings.

In the hobbit book this is more explicit as Bilbo told Gandalf almost the whole story about it (by the end of the book).
He even told the dwarf most of it too, so they also knew he had a ring that could make him invisible, this is also plot related as one time he used it to pass undetected under I believe Balin's noses and he kept wandering about it untill the end.
In the hobbit book at least.
>>
>>81221209
There were. They were evil.
>>
>>81221209
Because middle earth is actually hell
>>
>>81221024
Because at that point Sauron wasn't strong enough to detect the Ring being worn. On top of that the further you are from Sauron the harder it is for him to detect you so basically Bilbo was about as far from Suaron as he could be and had the added benefit of Sauron still being too weak to start looking outwards for the ring instead of building his forces. Bilbo was just very lucky.
>>
>>81221191
Did Sauron have a body when he returned and it was never shown in LotR, or was he just a presence? Was the Eye actually him? How did he even return in the first place?
>>
>>81222170
he had a body, it was black and tall and he was sitting in his tower chillin, lookin at the world with his "fiery eye"
jackson took this a bit too literally and made the most not scary villain of all time by making sauron a fucking EYE on top of a tower
>>
>>81222309
It's really iconic, at least.

I don't know if it's supposed to have that sense in the books, but Sauron is more of threat or result than a villain in the movies.
>>
>>81221158
BILBOO BAGGINSSS!!!
>>
>>81221209
No section 8 housing
>>
>>81222600
I AM NOT TRYING TO UPSTAGE YOU!!!

I'm trying to help you.
>>
>>81221209
Because it's a "fantasy" book / film.
>>
>>81221149
>I'm trying to help you

almost makes me cry, reminds me of my cocaine addicted father
>>
>>81220719
>>81220873
>>81220928
>>81220970

This. Gandalf knows it's a magic ring of some sort, possibly even a lost ring of power.

He just didn't realize it was THAT ring.
>>
>>81221209
black people are orks.
>>
>>81223294

And he didn't bother to check?

Seems like its an easy check.
>>
>>81223991
How would he check? It didn't cross his mind that it might be the one ring until long afterwards
>>
>>81221209
Orcs, senpai.

Also, the men from Harad.
>>
>>81221036
Because Gods and such.
>>
>>81221114
its more like 17 years but whatever
>>
>>81223991
The Elves of Eregion made hundreds of "practice" rings back in the first age, it being the one ring must have been inconceivable since it had been lost for so long.
>>
>>81222309
>>81222462
There's a part towards the end of The Return of the King book where Frodo looks at Barad-Dur and sees or senses Sauron's fiery eye but it's probably more like a "vision" and not meant to be literal
>>
>>81222309
>constant ominous dark threat that looms over the world and can mind fuck you from hundreds of thousands of miles away
>not scarier than a dude sitting in a tower twiddling his thumbs
>>
>>81221209
no gibs
>>
>>81224784
except the book version is a combination of the two things you said and the film version is neither because the eye looked goofy af
>>
>>81225211
You are a nitpicking autist
>>
Pretty sure by "it has been called that before" Gandalf was referring it to Isildur who also calling it precious.

Now we can end the thre
>>
>>81225625
yea, remember when I said tht because of this the lotr movies are shit and I don't watch them?
me neither

I'm just saying that I didn't like how they made sauron calm your fucking tits
>>
>>81225709
No, he was referring to gollum
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.