[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blade Runner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_1271.jpg (37KB, 469x314px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1271.jpg
37KB, 469x314px
Why did he save Deckard in the end /tv/?
>>
Is that what happened at the end of that movie?

Damn, it's been a while.
>>
He rather explained that. In detail.
>>
Time to die.

It's too bad he didn't live. But then again who does?
>>
>>81215546
he was a good friend
>>
He just wanted to help a fellow Replicant (Deckard) understand how it felt to be a slave to prove a point, and once he did that there was no reason to let him die since his time was about to come
>>
He realized Deckard was an replicant.
>>
>>81215546
Because Deckard was a cyborg
>>
>>81215546
Because they were both subaltern.

Kindred spirits telling a story the oldest human gesture you can do perhaps. We will never know what Roy was talking about in his (non-existent) extended universe to blade runner won't answer these questions. The point of the closing words of the monologue is him likening his memories disappearing with his death with tears washing away in rain. Much like how the history of cultures of oppressed groups (subaltern) vanish.
>>
>>81215546
IMO he wanted to experience what it was like to save someone.
>>
Maybe he wanted to share his final moments with someone else. Who wants to die alone?
>>
>>81215546
he had an awesome epilogue to deliver
>>
He didn't. It was all just artificial memories in a replicant's mind, none of it actually happened.
>>
>>81215707
>"oh shit, if this nigga dies I won't have anyone to tell my sick ass speech to. I spent too much time writing it!"
>>
Because that's what a real human bean would do
>>
>>81215768
Oh snap!
>>
>>81215768
He wasn't a real human bean, he was an artificial nigger
>>
>>81215865
Proofs?
>>
>that tears in the rain speech
the feels !
>>
>>81215890
Nexus were artificial hominids made for heavy work in outer space anon, not actual human beings, this movie is sympathetic towards these artificial niggers and tries to blur the line because it was made by cucks but anyone with a brain can tell the difference between a human being and a Nexus replicant
>>
>>81215546
Minimize information death by sharing at least a few of his experiences before he expired.
>>
>>81215702
*raises paw*
>>
I tried to get my friends to watch this but one of them kept bitching that the movie was "boring"

How do I get new friends?
>>
His artificial brain was malfunctioning in its final moments.
>>
>>81215546
ran out of battery
>>
He was getting us hyped for the sequel thats gonna explain all those great moments in detail!! Ridley was paramount about this, Its gonna be great :^D
>>
>>81215546
A gesture of humanity, what else?
>>
He wants Deckard to see that his death meant something. Not just robot shutting down. He wants Deckard to see the dove flies away from his hand
>>
>>81215546
because it didn't matter, he trascended his android nature and wanted to share those last moments with the person that was supposed to kill him.
>>
>>81215546
As deckard realizes he's going to lose his grip and fall he looks at Roy and spits at him.
In a split second Roy sees this and recognizes the warrior attitude towards life and his creator, defiance, which is what got him there on the rooftop with Deckard in the first place.
He led a team of rebels on a mission to get more life, all the way to their creator's residence, they died on the way (one got fried in a field) they were executed when they were detected.
Roy's life was that of a hunted slave, his defiance in the face of mortality was due to his warrior nature, he saw and valued that in Deckard. The snap to catch his hand is that fast because to the last, Batty was that superior.
>>
this movie was fucking amazing.

that score by vangelis, the way everyone's irises glowed with gold, that final fucking speech

I gotta rewatch it
>>
>>81217764
a little late on that wagon honey, but better late than never.
>>
>>81215546

He wanted someone to remember him, to tell his story. Primarily since Deck too now knows what it's like to be hunted and to be afraid to die.

His last words were about all his experiences and memories that are going to be gone once he's dead.

/thread
>>
>>81218254
>He wanted someone to remember him, to tell his story.
The opposite, he knew that all his brilliance was impermanent, like tears in the rain.
It's really very Japanese.
>>
Yeah no. Fuck hollywood and fuck ridley scott. Anyone whos read 'do androids dream...' Knows why i say this. Its not even a fucking 'adaptation' and the entire story breaks down without mercerism and the buster friendly arc. You are al, ignorant plebs. Seriously GDIAF for ruining literal art by supporting hollywood faeces
>>
>>81215546
Always felt that it was just a human moment of the film, how emotions and the human mind can always surprise and determine the most random and precious acts. The reflexes and power of his body are like a cold snap and you remember he's a replicant but is still the most human character in the film.
>>
>>81218254

The actual story has deckard just about maybe a teeny tiny little bit accepting that robots can be 'alove' too, shown through the toad story, but its a minor tiny teeny miniscule insignificant change. Deckard abands mercerism and empathy and juet doesnt give a shit anymore by storys end. Broken man. Fuck ridley scott for ruining pkds vision
>>
>>81218444
Shit... Alive and abandons. Ipad, sorry gents
>>
>>81215546
At his own end he began to understand the value of life in all creatures.

It's a pretty fucking simple but well told tale about the acceptance of death and what it means to be human.
>>
>>81218479
Which (in the book) is literally the opposite journey that deckard takes. Too bad the film gutted that part of the story
>>
Looks like I have become a blade runner
>>
>>81218395
It's based on the book, not an adaptation, even Philip Dick came around about liking the movie, stop being such an imbecille.
>>
>>81215546
Tits
>>
>>81215546
To show that he's not an autist and is able to relate to other people.
>>
>>81215616
>>81215620
>>81215645
>fellow Replicant (Deckard)
Deckard was confirmed to be human.
>>
>>81218395
>"it's not like my genre fiction so it's bad!"
No
>>
>>81218724
PKD died before the movie was even finished.

Your memories of him having liked it are implanted.

Just like the memories that died with Roy. They weren't even his own.
>>
I saw this for the first time at an old theater last year. I popped a bar, so the plot barely made sense, but it was pretty.
>>
>>81215546
So that someone will remember him

and also because Deckard is a replicant
>>
>>81220650
Sauce?
>>
>>81220650
Partially wrong, Deckard is human in the early releases, but heavily implied to be a replicant in later cuts because of the unicorn scenes.

Also Roy saved Deckard because it wasn't expected of him. He defied instinct and made a civilized act to prove to somebody that he had the capacity to be human.
>>
>>81216912
Are you joking?
>>
>>81215546
To continue his work, you dumb ledditor.
>>
>>81215546
Watch the theater cut
>>
>>81216486
Was it a group viewing?

Some movies work far, far better as a solo watch.
>>
>>81215546
Can't believe they dare make a sequel to this.
Those fucker sreally want to destroy every fucking classic sci-fi/buddy/classic movies from 80's/90's.

Fuck the whole movie industry.
>>
>>81215546
DUDE, TEARS IN THE RAIN, LMAO
>>
>>81216486
You already do, here we are. I literally told an ex not to even bother watching Inception if she wasn't going to pay attention and just talk like usual.
>>
>>81215736
Wasn't he a combat model stationed on the colonies? I always took it that those were his real memories
>>
>>81222022
I think the ambiguity is purposeful.
>>
>>81216486
>movie about proud antagonist doesn't want to die alone
>want to change friends for movie

That's not how you make friends
>>
>>81222122
That makes sense
>>
>>81215546
He developed a conscience. One of the questions they asked in the test earlier in the movie is along the lines of "A turtle is lying on its back, it will die if you don't turn it over. Do you save the turtle?".
Seeing Deckard helpless and about to die by falling caused Roy to face the decision for real and he chooses to save him. It's furthering the implication that the replicants are just as human as humans.
>>
>>81215661
/thread
Also note that if this true it doesn't really matter whether Deckard was human or not.
>>
File: dogo.gif (2MB, 419x292px) Image search: [Google]
dogo.gif
2MB, 419x292px
>>81223065
Pretty good.
>>
When he was dying, he realized how precious life is. He became more "human" than the actual human. This is why the movie is so great, and this is why Deckard being a replicant is fucking retarded and ruins the whole movie.
>>
File: IMG_1737.jpg (139KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1737.jpg
139KB, 512x512px
>>81215865
>he was an artificial nigger
He was an artificial aryan!
>>
>>81215661
B Tongue fucking sucks
>>
>>81215546
Because of Arya & Jaqen, LOL HAHA
>>
>tfw you realise the same person that made this absolute masterpiece also made Prometheus
Where did he go so wrong?
>>
>>81215546

Because just before he died, he realized how precious life is and at the same time, how small all living creatures are, how fleeting.
>>
>>81216486
don't worry, i got it
>>
>>81224307
Prometheus was pure kino you plebeian negro
>>
>>81220650
then how did the asian detective guy know his dreams?
>>
>>81224307
he didn't write Prometheus
>>
>>81218395
i don't know if you're just trolling but the book was shit, one of dick's worst. The film is much better.
>>
>ITT: Scenes women will never understand
>>
>>81226284
>asain detective
Pretty sure Gaff was a Hispanic guy.
>>
>>81226284
the best thing about Blade Runner is that with so many cuts you just choose the one that's the best and stick with that for the canon.

In this case, Director's Cut, because it only makes the light implication to make things more interesting and ambiguous, versus the overly stupid Final Cut (which doesn't look that much better imo) which tries to hit you over the head with how "clever" (read: stupid) Ridley is with his DECKARDS A ROBOT DURRRR plot "twist."

And if you're really crazy you'll prefer the theatrical cut and I'll respect you but keep a safe distance from such a dangerous mind.
>>
What's the best version to watch?
>>
>>81226992
Theatrical with added car honking sounds.
>>
The characters who showcase humanity in Blade Runner are the replicants while the human characters come off as robotic and autistic. I always thought it was poetic.
>>
File: Blade Runner4.png (2MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
Blade Runner4.png
2MB, 1920x800px
>>81227118
Tyrell's motto was More human than human.
>>
>>81226992
Theatrical Cut.

No one will admit it, but the only reason everyone hates it is because it says "nigger" during one of Harrison Ford's voice overs when they actually added to the film noir style the movie was going for

That and no retarded "Was Deckard a replicant" twist shit
>>
>>81215546
He wanted someone to remember his final moments and maybe pass on what he said and saw to someone else. Ya see, that replicant was an existentialist.
>>
because deckard saved him from life by killing his gf
>>
>>81227181
Truly a business men with a rich vision.
>>
>>81215907
Everybody knows this but of course the 'like tears in rain' part was improv. Right after he says it he kind of smirks at Harrison Ford. I've always thought that smirk was saying "haha I made that up faggot holy shit I'm such a good actor."
>>
Anyone here who read the book?

I only recently got around to it and some parts of it were just... weird.

Like the whole experience with Rachael. Why the fuck would Deckard, or any other bounty hunter, having sex with her make them incapable of retiring any androids in the future? Also, why not retire Rachael after she killed Deckard's goat?
>>
>>81215546
Dont forget Ash and Bishop are replicants too.
>>
>>81216912

This,

Its on the blu ray commentary. The moment Deckard loses his grip and spits at Batty as a last Fuck You.
Is the moment Batty decided to save him.
>>
>>81215546
What were the Replicants exactly? Were they androids like in the book or were they artificially created humans? (I don't mean clones)
>>
>>81227118

That's hilarious, because replicants are the opposite in the book. They don't give a shit about each other, or anyone else, and would sacrifice anyone in a heartbeat to prolong their own existence.
>>
>>81227378
They were artificially created humans, better than the Androids from Alien series that's for sure.
>>
Friendly reminder that there will be more Blade Runner sequels coming to your local theater.

Also merchandise, comics, videogames, luchbox, candy, action figueres and more...

Blade Runner will get its own franchise.
>>
>>81227554
Oh boy, lunchboxes and candy? Should I resub to Nerd Box or Geek Crate to get it all? Do you think Harrison Ford would sign my lunchbox if I met him? Is he going to Comic Con?
>>
File: 1483169958122.png (3MB, 2048x1714px) Image search: [Google]
1483169958122.png
3MB, 2048x1714px
>>81215661
shit nigger that's it
>>
>>81227630
Why not both? Yeah sure, Harrison Ford loves and cares about his loyal fans and Blade Runner franchise, will sign everything. Also creditcards only.
>>
>>81215546
>Why did he save Deckard in the end

Simply fulfilling Tyrell's vision:

"More human, than human."

A genetically engineered human, awakened as an adult, with implanted childhood memories, created as a slave race, given a 4 year lifespan, to prevent their evolution, spares the life of a man, a Replicant, unaware, but beginning to realize, his own status, created especially to destroy their own kind, becomes in the end a a new form of humanity, showing an empathy to one who would not have shown the same to him, thus becoming "more human than human", we learn about ourselves from that which we have created, the father becomes the son and the son the father, g_d and his creation switch places.
>>
>>81227801
And that's the reason why I love 4chan and hate Reddit. Seriously guys, 4chan is way better and superior than Reddit.
>>
File: 1488157105484.png (450KB, 1572x1922px) Image search: [Google]
1488157105484.png
450KB, 1572x1922px
>>81227880
on reddit that would be the top comment and you wouldn't have to sift past 40 shitposts to get to it, faggot
>>
File: 1487985142295.png (142KB, 534x534px) Image search: [Google]
1487985142295.png
142KB, 534x534px
>>81227985
>>
>>81227985
You have to go back, ya redtard fag.
>>
>>81228082
Tripfag
>>
>>81228197
Votefag
>>
>>81218395
>Its not even a fucking 'adaptation
Yeah, its a fucking improvement.
Dick was a fucking junkie who couldnt keep his stories on point or coherent half the time.
The pointless fake police station part, the Space Jesus crap, the robot sheep themself. All of that was a huge waste of time that went nowhere.
And dont get me started on Deckard having a wife, on which he cheats, then tries to kill the woman he cheated with since Space Jesus tells him to.
Deckard in the book was an insane psychopath serial killer, even at the end of the book there was nothing to even give you an idea that he is a cop and not making shit up as he goes along.
>>
>>81228441
The book really did suck ass...
>>
>>81226992
Don't listen to the memes, Director's cut is the only way to go. Some autists seem to enjoy the voice-over in the Theatrical Cut, but it just ruins the tension / any potential mystery.
>>
>>81220650
>Deckard was confirmed to be human.
Ridley Scott says otherwise, and since it's his movie, I'll take his word for it, instead of some useless NEET neckbeard on the internet.
>>
>>81226992

Final cut
>>
>>81221062
Know what you're talking about before you start yapping, faggot.

After Dick criticized an early version of Hampton Fancher's script in an article written for the Los Angeles Select TV Guide, the studio sent Dick the David Peoples' rewrite. Although Dick died shortly before the film's release, he was pleased with the rewritten script and with a 20-minute special effects test reel that was screened for him when he was invited to the studio. Despite his well-known skepticism of Hollywood in principle, Dick enthused to Ridley Scott that the world created for the film looked exactly as he had imagined it. He said, "I saw a segment of Douglas Trumbull's special effects for Blade Runner on the KNBC-TV news. I recognized it immediately. It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly." He also approved of the film's script, saying, "After I finished reading the screenplay, I got the novel out and looked through it. The two reinforce each other, so that someone who started with the novel would enjoy the movie and someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel."
>>
>>81228945
Not every addition that a director dreams of is a valid one. See George Lucas.
Removal of voice over was a valid change for Blade Runner, as it was a forced one by the producers. The unicorn most absolutely came years after and Scott most likely wanted to play smart where it was totallly unnecessary. Not having vapid unicorn references was not the result of producers, it's never mentioned in behind the scenes and retrospectives.
>>
File: tyrell.jpg (83KB, 1157x565px) Image search: [Google]
tyrell.jpg
83KB, 1157x565px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>81215546
Showing that the replicants were more human than deckard
>>
>>81229242
He was trying to appease and felate the replicant.
>>
>>81228945
There's nothing even to support that claim though.

>No Replicants allowed on Earth
>Deckard at multiple points of the film is physically overpowered by the replicants.
>Clearly isn't reaching the end of his lifespan.
>>
I might be wrong, but it felt like the whole point of the movie and the book was that even Replicants have a form of empathy for their own kind, raising the question how similar they actually are to real humans.
In the book it was made clear that they have no empathy for other living creatures, such as the spider they found in the abandoned apartment.
So it raises the question as to why he saved Deckard.
Did he do it because he somehow developed empathy for a real human bean or is it just because Deckard is actually a replicant.
Honestly to me it would have made more sense if it was the former, seeing as how the white dove flying to the sky would signify his "soul" going to heaven, showing that he actually has developed empathy for real creatures.
>>
>>81228945
Author, script writer, Ford all say deckard is human. Scott just decided to put implications that deckard was a replicant in the final cut for some fucking reason
>>
>>81221203
this, when the movie was made deckard was a human in the script.
Only after a couple of decades ridley scott had his brainfart

>lol, deckard was a replicant all along.
>>
>>81229201
>Not every addition that a director dreams of is a valid one.
No, but it's a final one.

>George Lucas
Irrelevant. We're talking about Ridley Scott and Blade Runner. Scott says Decker's a replicant, then he's a replicant. Case closed.
>>
>>81229360
Scott only decided he wanted this long after the film was released its not valid
>>
>>81229281
The unicorn dream and Gaff's origami confirms it dude. And Deckard has the same red iris thing that every other replicant in the movies has.
>>
>>81229242
this>>81229279
He was trying to save his own skin in a poor attempt to appeal to the replicants sense of superiority, while simultaniously implying that killing him wont change the fact that Roy is going to die.
Also
>Leroy
>>
>>81229403
That was all added in by Scott in one of the cuts years after the movie was released, the author scriprer and Ford all say he is human

I like the final cut but fuck Ridley for adding in that retarded shit
>>
>>81227118
J.F. Sebastion is easily the most sympathetic character in the film and a human though
>>
>>81215546

how did he not fall off the building when he picked up deckard? sure he's super strong but he doesn't weight like 500 lbs does he? he's literally leaning over the side of the roof.
>>
>>81229360
The argument was "and since it's his movie, I'll take his word for it" which translates to "director's rules". It's a fallacy as the director is not always in clear mind years after of what changes are best for the film or where they alternate the original too much. That alternation may turn it into a different story altogether. Implying Deckard is a replicant makes for a different interpretation or events, he's the lead character after all.
>>
File: 1491134697926.png (175KB, 236x349px) Image search: [Google]
1491134697926.png
175KB, 236x349px
>>81227985
>>
>>81229281
The girl meets 2 of those, all three I'm sure once the new movie comes out. The lifespan is artificial.
>>
>>81229403
>red iris thing

I dont think that was a thing in the theatrical cut.
Ridley added it later.
>>
>>81227252
>because it says "nigger" during one of Harrison Ford's voice overs

who does he call a nigger there are literally no black people
>>
>>81229457
the movie works either way, I don't get why you're so upset. Plus Final Cut cleans up a bunch of audio/visual shit from the theatrical release.
>>
>>81229140
>someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel

Uh....no.

It was incoherent trash.
>>
>>81229507
meanwhile Ridley put together his director's cut for Kingdom of Heaven and /tv/ collectively dick rides him for that. How is blade runner's final cut any different?

>but it changes the story

Not really. Movie works whether you believe he's human or a replicant, so why does it matter.
>>
>>81229570
He comments on his boss calling replicants "skinjobs," saying he's the kind of cop who, years back, would call a black person a nigger.
>>
>>81229497
Could be some heavy organic material inside of him. Breaking through solid walls is a no human feat either.
>>
>>81229399
You still here?
I said it was settled already.
You may go now.
>>
>>81229440

>Leroy
at least you caught it.
>>
>>81215924

that's not cannon. these robots were self aware. they had an actual consciousness. and they were born fully mature with four years to live. maybe you could tell the difference, but maybe you can tell the difference between a frenchman and a german.
>>
>>81229680
>How is blade runner's final cut any different?

The changes Scott made, made the film worse, not better.

The theatrical cut was perfect as it was, including the voice over. It was like a cyber-punk Maltese Falcon.

The final cut eliminates a lot of that "old school detective movie" feel that made the theatrical cut so great.
>>
>>81229716
>THIN AMERICAN DRYWALL
BOOOO GET OUTTA TOWN
>BIG EUROPEAN BRICKWALL
YEAH
>>
>>81229680
>How is blade runner's final cut any different?

Different films, different genres, different changes made to either of them lead to different levels of criticism. Same director here means jackshit mostly.

>Movie works whether you believe he's human or a replicant, so why does it matter.

nice bait
>>
>>81229507
>It's a fallacy as the director is not always in clear mind years after of what changes are best for the film or where they alternate the original too much.
Blah blah blah.
Point is, it's his name on the movie, not ypurs'
Again. Argument's over. You're free to go now, Johnny. I have no more use for you.
>>
>>81216912
beautiful.
>>
>>81229530
Having seen it in the theaters when it came out, it most certainly was.
The cut is available. Watch it.
>>
>>81229602
>Uh....no.
>It was incoherent trash.
Uh, take it up with Dick,because he's the one who said it.
>>
>>81229933
Bradbury building the scene takes place in is built from brick. Not flimsy drywall that a 2 year old can break.
>>
>>81230035
yeah, but had deckard red eyes too?
>>
>>81229917
disagree. voice over tells the audience too directly how to feel about the film instead of leaving it open to interpretation. I'm already experiencing the events of the film via Deckard, I don't to hear his thoughts too. Ridley does a good enough job conveying those with the visuals and dialogue.

>>81229959
>nice bait
Lol.

Why are you burying your head in the sand about this? Why does Deckard being a replicant upset you? Who cares? If you want to view him as human, idgaf (even if you are wrong). Why are you so against the replicant interpretation?
>>
>>81230515
>Why are you so against the replicant interpretation?

It invalidates the character. Any human-replicant relations that are solely shown through Deckard become meaningless if he's a replicant. His expression is not honest and it's never revealed to him or others who he is, there's no change there. It's this fake subplot that invalidates and murders the character.
>>
>>81230769
It doesn't invalidate anything.

The crux is that Deckard thinks he's human throughout 99% of the film. And everyone else, with possibly the exception of Gaff and Tyrell, assumes he's human too. Deckard acts as a human would act, regardless of his true origins as a man made machine. His motivations are rooted in a belief of his humanity. He still has an arc and it's still meaningful despite him being a replicant. Like Roy, he was able to transcend the trappings of replicants. "More human than human."

IMO the film works better with him as a replicant.
>>
>>81230515
>Why are you so against the replicant interpretation?

Not him, but making Deckard a replicant changes the entire film for the worse.

When Deckard is human, we see him start to question whether or not the Replicants are the "souless machines" they're treated as, or innocent victims of human manipulation just trying to survive. Despite this ethical conflict, we see Deckard acting as the mindless machine, killing without mercy, and in the end, it is the evil machine, in the form of Roy, that shows empathy and saves Deckard. Deckard, as a human, showed us that humans weren't any better than the machines they created. Making Deckard a replicant destroys all of these conflicts, and lessons the impact of the film.
>>
>>81231383
>killing without mercy

He tells Rachel he gets the shakes after every job, he's clearly conflicted after gunning down the snake chick, and he blows away Pris in self defense. The only real shitty thing he does is try and get a cheap shot on Roy returning to Sebastian's apartment, but fucking misses anyway.

And everything else you said I addressed here: >>81231206
>>
>>81231711
>He tells Rachel he gets the shakes after every job

And yet he kept on doing it, over and over. He could have quit that job long ago and bailed, the same way he bailed with Rachael at the end of the movie.
>>
>>81215546

he wasn't a villain, or evil, he was simply scared and fighting for his own survival, as were the others, and as would anybody. that's the point of the film. he's a created being, near perfect in every way, equally as genius as his creator if not moreso. he's intelligent enough to know that deckard is not his enemy, only doing his job. the point of his empathy at the end of the film is to show he's just as human as us, if not more, in a divine way. it takes all your pre-conceived notions about right and wrong in the story and flips them around.
>>
File: 1333395026940.png (152KB, 258x314px) Image search: [Google]
1333395026940.png
152KB, 258x314px
>all these people supporting "Deckard is a replicant" theory

Here's why it doesn't fly:

1. Why the fuck would the police commission and use a blade runner replicant that's physically weaker than the replicants he's supposed to hunt and kill? It's already established that he's literally weaker than even a pleasure model, let alone combat model like Roy.
It makes zero sense. What's the point of him being replicant then? Why go through all this trouble?
You could argue that he's more disposable that way, but I doubt the police would lack volunteers in an overpopulated shithole that is future LA.

2. As of the beginning of the film, he's clearly retired for years. You could argue those are implanted memories. Again, why would the police go out of their way to do this? Why not implant memories that he never retired, or that he's at his peak hunting replicants, or whatever? Why would anyone create a weak, reluctant hunter/killer model that needs to be persuaded/threatened to hunt and kill?

3. You missed the entire point of the movie and I'm beginning to think Ridley did too (this is a man who seriously considers making Gladiator sequels and a shitload of Alien sequels, but I digress).
The point is that as the movie goes on, the replicants become more human and Deckard (and other humans) become more inhuman, cold and generally more machine-like, blurring the line between the two.
And it ends with Roy saving Deckard's life, forgoing revenge and using his last moments to save the life of his enemy. The monologue at the end only drives this home, as he's become indistinguishable from what we consider human.
>>
>>81215546
DECKER WAS TURTLE
>>
>>81231988
They're just memers, Anon. Nobody actually believes he's a replica to in tyool 2017.
>>
>>81215707

It really is an overrated epilogue
>>
>>81231868
Deckard was trying to get out when his boss pulled him in for "one last job," remember. The work had clearly gotten to him before the events of the film had even taken place. The only reason he got involved was because the other blade runner got shot vetting the Tyrell employees and his boss didn't have anyone else as good as Deckard to put on the case.

Plus the line "if you're not cop, you're little people" really rings true for Deckard. He knows he can't ever really leave the police because his life would be even shittier and we as the audience are show that alternative throughout the film.
>>
>>81231988
>The point is...... the replicants become more human and Deckard (and other humans) become more inhuman, cold and generally more machine-like, blurring the line between the two.

Exactly.

All that gets shitcanned if Deckard is a replicant.
>>
>>81232067

Also who cares if decard was a replicant, it can no bearing on the plot. Just shamalayn tier twist.

And the androids sure were dumb for being so superior. They were superior to humans, but had a shorter life span, some insects live for 24 hours but they still live a life.

Some of those replicants probably did more with their shorter lives than normies did with longer ones. So people live longer than others, no one wants to die, what makes these robots think they're so unique in that regard?
>>
>>81232068
>Deckard was trying to get out when his boss pulled him in for "one last job,"

No he wasn't. He was chilling at a noodle joint in that shitty city. He could have bailed when he retired, but he didn't.
>>
I still get sad that he killed the toy maker. All he did was make toys and be nice to people.
>>
>>81232359
it does because instead of a human learning that replicants are pretty much humans, it's another replicant. the replicants already think they're human so no one learns anything.
>>
>>81231988
>Why the fuck would the police commission and use a blade runner replicant that's physically weaker than the replicants he's supposed to hunt and kill?

Because that would defeat the purpose of the Deckard replicant experiment. Giving him super human abilities would tip him off that he wasn't human.

>Why would anyone create a weak, reluctant hunter/killer model that needs to be persuaded/threatened to hunt and kill?

It makes him more human. Also see above.

>The point is that as the movie goes on, the replicants become more human and Deckard (and other humans) become more inhuman, cold and generally more machine-like, blurring the line between the two.

Like I said before: Deckard believed he was human, and so did everyone else. And that belief supersedes everything else.

>>81232381
watch the scene again bro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwb2t7iLatk

Every line supports what I said.
>>
as people has already said in this thread, it is because Roy has developed human emotions and choose to save Deckard despite that Deckard had tried to kill him. He did it to show that he was more than machine.
>>
>>81232718
>Every line supports what I said.

That scene clearly demonstrates that Deckard was no longer employed as a cop, which means he could have left that shitty city long ago.

That scene also demonstrates that Gaff has a propensity for origami, which negates any impact the unicorn had in the directors cut, as it could have simply been a random animal he made.
>>
>>81233326
>That scene clearly demonstrates that Deckard was no longer employed as a cop

You and I have a very different interpretation then. Is English not your first language?

>it could have simply been a random animal he made.

Gaff had a propensity for origami, yes, but the origami unicorn, combined with Deckard's unicorn dream (which he never told anyone about), combined with Deckard's knowing nod to himself, combined with Gaff's repeated line... cmon dude. You really think it's a coincidence after all that? That Ridley just tossed that shit in there for no reason?

Watch it again and tell me what bits indicate he's human: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lPsmFSNWc4
>>
>>81226992
Final cut
>>
>>81227801
>g_d
Subtle
>>
>>81233850
>That Ridley just tossed that shit in there for no reason?

He wanted to change the theatrical release. Apparently, he wanted Deckard to be a replicant, but Ford, and some others on the film, including producers, were opposed. So when he got the chance to do his directors cut, he fucked up the whole movie as it was originally released. Not cool, IMO.

Regardless, the unicorn scene wasn't in the original release, and Scott tossed it in for the directors cut, so there isn't an association between the origami unicorn and the dream sequence in the theatrical release. The only significance of the unicorn in the original is that it shows Deckard, and the audience, that Gaff had been there at the apartment, and he chose to give Deckard, and his robot fuck toy, a pass, instead of killing Rachael. When Deckard picks up the unicorn, smiles, and shakes his head, he is essentially acknowledging the fact that Gaff knew about Rachael, and chose to allow Deckard to keep her. The unicorn served as a calling card from Gaff, and combined with what he told Deckard on the roof about "too bad she won't live", it also served as a sign of his blessing as well, which means Gaff wasn't as big a dick as we all thought.
>>
Jesus Fucking Christ

I won't reference every post that mentions "machine", "robot", "android"

Did you even watch the film, did you comprehend what you saw and heard

The Replicants are not machines, they are biological, flesh and blood, they are genetically engineered living beings

They are just made to be at the pinicle of human evolution

That's why they have a short lifespan, let them live and they become the Masters not the Slaves

Genetically superior humans breeding with each other, would evolve beyond anything imaginable

With Batty saving Deckard, he shows that although humans would destroy him (Batty) he has evolved beyond revenge

He shows more "humanity" than normal humans

He was on his way or had become a god
>>
>>81234610
the scene can provide both meanings in the final cut imo. Gaff simultaneously gives Deckard a pass and lets him in on the secret of his past, confirming his mounting suspicions. The original intent still works, right alongside the new one.

Final cut is the definitive version.
>>
>>81232067
It's only overrated if you treat it as a grandure speech, which it's not meant to be.

The reason its so touching is because its so human., It's a speech that is quite emotionally relateable. It's not necessarily epic and intellectual, but its very emotive.
>>
>>81234943
>Final cut is the definitive version.

It's the tranny version.

Even though you can slap some tits on a dude, hack off his cock, and put him in a dress, at the end of the day, it's still just a dude. A ruined and mutilated dude. Sure, some are willing to pretend otherwise, but I'm not one of them.
>>
>>81234610
How is Ridley Scott such a retarded pleb?

How can the guy that made Alien be this fucking retarded?
>>
>>81234610
>pparently, he wanted Deckard to be a replicant, but Ford, and some others on the film, including producers, were opposed.
>>81234943
>the scene can provide both meanings in the final cut imo.

Well fuck both of you niggers because now it's canon that he was just another human, because they needed to have Ford back for the sequel because 'member Blade Runner?

It's fucking Gramps Ford in a tshirt. Can't even be bothered with costumes anymore and he gave up on acting 20 years ago.

It's gonna be great.
>>
>>81232718
I'm gonna make a female replicant that puts me in the friend zone unless I work out and practice game for years and then takes half my money and still runs off with Chad

More female than female is my motto.
>>
>>81234943
>the scene can provide both meanings in the final cut imo.

I agree that the subsequent releases Scott put out support the idea that Deckard is a replicant.

The original didn't, though, and that's the story that I enjoyed the most. Too bad directors have to go and fuck with the films they release after the audience has already embraced them. I can't think of a single film that was improved by a "directors" cut.

To each their own.
>>
>>81235429
>How is Ridley Scott such a retarded pleb?

Age, dude.
>>
>>81235514
>it's canon that he was just another human

How do you know he wasn't just a "special" replicant, like Rachael?
>>
>>81229355
That got thrown out the fucking window with the sequel, too.

Rare necessary follow up, if only just to shut the replicantfags up for good.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.