[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is season 2 worth watching?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: true-detective-logo-ray.jpg (358KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
true-detective-logo-ray.jpg
358KB, 600x600px
Is season 2 worth watching?
>>
>>81210699
Yes. You don't want to miss out on how good Ray is as a character.
>>
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, then that just means you've got a deaf lumberjack, and I can't risk having any liabilities. Are you a liability, anon?
>>
>>81210699
Ray has some funny moments but the plot is pretty predictable. Overall it's not great, especially if you go into it expecting something like S1. Turns out the rich and influential people in town are corrupt and like to fuck hookers WHOA
>>
File: TD.jpg (215KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
TD.jpg
215KB, 600x800px
Worth watching for these scene alone.
>>
I probably liked it more than season 1 until the big shootout where it got significantly worse
>>
>>81210699
it's decent
has a different feel
good quality
bit sad
>>
>>81210699
If I had watched this season first, and season 1 second I would have thought they were both great.

But having watched season 1 first, season 2 is just ok.

Do not expect anything near season 1 though.

The problem is relative to season 1, season 2 is bad, but as its own story it is pretty good.
>>
Story should've focused on Ray and Ani.

The gay cop contributed literally nothing.

You can tell that the show was written around Ray as the main character since Ani's backstory didn't matter much either.

Also Frank was interesting but had a predictable trajectory which should've been handled off-screen since there wasn't much to work with and it felt like he was repeating himself all the time.

Ray on the other hand was solid throughout and one overlooked gem is that he literally had a house that was apparently built in a police station parking lot. That shit was comedy gold and surreal enough on its own.
>>
>>81210980
The plot is based on a real city in southern california.
>>
First season had the benefit of :

1. pairing a crazy detective with a regular joe
2. a serial killer doing ritual killing
3. case lore suggesting supernatural elements
4. southern gothic

All of that was extremely good at face value, without even bringing the quality of writing into it, which was very good.

Second season has way too many characters floating around with unclear character arcs and the murder mystery is all but sidelined very soon and also fizzles out once it becomes clear everyone's a piece of shit so it doesn't really matter who did it.
>>
vince vaughn was fucking dog shit a a gangstar
>>
My feel is something like this happened:

>HBO exec: "Woah kiddo, True Detective is a hit, we need more! Got anything else for us?"
>Writer: "I don't know, well, I have these other scripts for a cop show I've been kicking around for a while."
>HBO exec: "Sold, and we'll call it True detective season 2!"

I don't think the show was awful but it was so different from S1 that I wonder what the fuck people were thinking. If it had a different name, it would've been lauded instead of lambasted.
>>
>>81211027

So?
I took a real shit this morning. Want to make a true detective season out of that too?
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>81211115

They already did. Why do you think they called it season number 2?
>>
>>81211092
I kinda wish S2 was more lovecraftian stuff.
>>
Yeah I really liked it. Don't compare it to season 1
>>
Two is just as good if not even better than one

More characters, better story, better music
>>
>>81211027
Vinci doesn't exist, anon.

That said they tried to kinda capture Chinatown's sense of grand corruption in California, only with cheap sex slaves instead of water rights. I would have preferred they dive more into Caspere's contemporaries and rivals rather than just make the whole mystery about his kids - felt too disconnected.
>>
File: 1449836238276.gif (2MB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
1449836238276.gif
2MB, 280x200px
Lol I actually just started watching it today and for me right of the bat the show is too overwhelming with characters. Ray and Ani have the only interesting story lines in my opinion and Frank's mobster story is just too generic however good a performance Vince and his wife performed. Season 1 felt closer and more personal every episode, and had me wanting to know what happens next every episode.
>>
>>81210699
Yes but mainly because of the cinematography. Thereare some amazing shots while they do retarded shit.
>>
>>81211656
Anis story goes nowhere.

Ray and frank are the only charachters that matter. Its almost like a feminist and a f aggot were inserted after the fact.
>>
I just watched this whole season this week
It's worth watching for Colin Farrell's performance at a minimum.
The rest of the characthers kind of sucked and the plot is a jumbled mess
But it's worth watching
>>
>>81210837
This.

Watch this scene and then turn it off.
>>
>>81211079
Who's the regular Joe?
>>
Season 2 had a lot more neo-noir flavor than the previous one. The orgy-hesit had them literally in black burglar clothes and it fit so well with the eerie string instruments.
I did get lost on the characters names/motivations. However, the last episode is rewarding enough.

S1: 9/10
S2: 8/10
>>
Season one was great only people that like season two are literal cucks like you seriously have to like being cucked to enjoy it
>>
>>81210699
You get the season you deserve
>>
>>81211090
FUCK. YOU.
>>
>>81213203
What did he mean by this?
Can someone translate those words to English?
>>
File: 1490030502681.png (18KB, 645x473px) Image search: [Google]
1490030502681.png
18KB, 645x473px
>>81213203
>his only "argument" is a buzzword
>>
>>81210798
Caspere knew this
>>
>>81211505
Vernon exists tho

I worked in politics in socal and had dealings w Vernon's city clerk and his people. I used to joke with my boss that we should start just bringing the Vernon folks suitcases or envelopes full of cash like the sopranos. And this was AFTER the big corruption case
>>
>>81212065
>Its almost like a feminist and a f aggot were inserted after the fact.
DELETE THIS DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH
>>
anyone else feel apoplectic at the final episode?
>>
>>81210699
for the memes yes
>>
>>81214005
What memes?
>>
>>81210837
>we want the twin peaks crowd
>>
>>81212992
And miss one of the most glorious set of tits in television history? Probably second only to Kristin Proctor in season 2 of The Wire.
>>
>>81213997
I was feeling a little apoplectic myself
>>
>>81210699
it's great to watch it as a deconstruction of the first season

the story, dialogue and style are of the same quality as the first season but it's done with bad acting, stale LA imagery and without a spooky subtone.
>>
>>81210699
yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DGErlBrI4&list=LLnSs6_nXWSqNnxmMulF9_JQ&index=112
>>
>>81210699
Yes.
But season 1 is far more better.

Season 1 >>>>>>>> season 2
>>
>>81212065
>Ray and frank are the only charachters that matter. Its almost like a feminist and a f aggot were inserted after the fact.

kek, you might actually be right.
>>
File: 1445786642595.jpg (34KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
1445786642595.jpg
34KB, 992x744px
>>81217014
>>
>>81210837
good scnee
>>
it could have been fine if they cut out the bulldyke bitch and the faggot and all the bullshit subplots relating to them, cleaned up the "main" plot to make it even remotely possible to follow or to give enough of a fuck to follow, and actually focused on it in the first place
vaughn didnt even do that bad of a job, it was probably one of the best performances of his career, which isn't saying much but shit
this series is dead and it's a shame
>>
>>81210835
The ending was pretty good imo. Kind of a big fuck you
>>
>>81210699
i heard season 3 got picked up but no cast or release date set
>>
>>81217358
>i kill it
>>
File: lol-duck.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
lol-duck.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>81211115
>>81211139
>>
I enjoyed it more than season 1 Caspere knew this
>>
>contrarian cucks claiming that S2 stands up on its own

""No!''

>too many portagonists, gaycop and Ani's subplots are left unresolved
>first 4 episodes are almost completely devoid of plot
>main characters die because they just decide to go full retard at the end
>timeskip serves no real purpose
>the firefights are Steven Seagal-tier absurdities
>the murder case and the crimes related to it fail to make themselves interesting on any level
>terrible details at places, ex. when Ray goes on a bender, he does enough drugs to kill a dozen people
>orgy scene is tame as fuck

It had a couple good moments though. Pizzalatte is not a bad writer but he needs either a director or a co-writer to call him out of his shitty ideas.

Overall I'd rate it 4/10, watching it with /tv/ bumped it to 6/10
>>
Yes. Dialogue is worse, but I preferred it to season 1.

And even if you prefer season 1, it's still undeniably a great show.
>>
>>81211164
But S1 had fuck all supernatural elements, when will this meme die? Speculation by redditors that turned out to be nothing in the end.
>>
>>81219314
Not to mention S2 actually legitimately has supernatural elements - like these
>>81211090
>>81210837
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.