[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deeper Into Movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1481352717880.jpg (33KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1481352717880.jpg
33KB, 300x375px
How do I develop a deeper understanding of what I watch? I basically only pay attention to the plot and the characters. I don't think I am catching most of the intended subtext and symbolism.
>>
That's good.
>>
>>81119455
Marvel movies must be right up your ally! *quip quip*
>>
File: 9ifwRTD.png (235KB, 482x283px) Image search: [Google]
9ifwRTD.png
235KB, 482x283px
how do I escape plebdom?
>>
Just read what other people are saying about it. Don't just blindly go along with it. There's what the artist intended, if they chose to speak on it, and there's your own subjective experience.
>>
Watch as many movies as you can, from as many time periods, not just what's coming out now or last year or even twenty years ago. The film medium was popularized in the early 19th century I think and you'd be surprised how many movies like to piggyback ideas off of the ones made before them.
Remember that any kind of symbolism is subjective, as much as I like batman vs superman because of the repeating symbols and framing I couldn't guarantee my friend would like it too (he only watches from the criterion collection or top ten foreign films lists though so idk). All that really matters is the symbol means something to you.
Read more-posts on 4Chan do not count as 'reading'
Also don't overestimate the symbolism hidden in modern Hollywood movies since mostly all of them are cash grabs.
>>
>>81119455
Movies are arguably shallower than even video games as a medium. It's like being a professional wine taster.
The value of art is what you ascertain yourself.
>>
>>81119455
first of all, forget about this "depth" shit. it's not about secrets hidden "deeper" in the movie. everything's on the surface, you just need to be literate and think about what you're seeing. look at the visuals instead of just listening to the exposition. stop thinking about the movie like it's a videogame someone else is playing ("why aren't they doing X? i would do X!"). stop worrying about decoding secret authorial intent. just look at the fucking thing and ask "why". what does this choice mean? does it remind you of anything?

for example, in the first alien movie, ash tries to kill ripley by awkwardly attempting to shove a rolled-up magazine in her throat. in strict plot terms we know ash is protecting the interests of the corporation, but why the bizarre method of killing ripley? what does it mean?
>>
File: Superfeels.png (2MB, 1280x792px) Image search: [Google]
Superfeels.png
2MB, 1280x792px
>>81119455
For starters, don't just watch movies, Read,

Fiction, non-fiction, doesn't matter. Always be absorbing new information and see how it informs the things you already know. Cultivate a thirst for knowledge and you'll find it applies to nearly all aspects of your life.
>>
Watch better movies. Watch more movies. Focus on the movie you're watching 100%.
>>
>>81119455

Most used bookstores should have a good textbook on film studies.
>>
>>81119455
#justbrainletthings
>>
>>81120446
>early 19th century

>americans
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.