[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I supposed to like Don?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Mad-men-title-card.jpg (19KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
Mad-men-title-card.jpg
19KB, 250x141px
Am I supposed to like Don?
>>
You're supposed to think for yourself.
>>
>>81099336
Only sometimes. In a lot of ways he's very weak, and he does a lot of shitty things to people. He's not supposed to be the writer's idea of "perfect Chad is the absolute coolest," if that's what you're asking.

If you absolutely hate him though, the show's probably not gonna work for you. I think the audience is supposed to care about him enough that you're disappointed when he fucks up, and want to see him do better. He fucks up a lot, though.
>>
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HAD IT WITH THIS MEME!!!!!!!
>>
you're supposed to want him to find happiness ya blorp
>>
File: rog.jpg (610KB, 3000x2253px) Image search: [Google]
rog.jpg
610KB, 3000x2253px
characters women will NEVER understand
>>
>>81099836
>characters women will NEVER understand

He drinks too much

What else is there to this one dimensional character
>>
File: 1490872584773.png (551KB, 921x634px) Image search: [Google]
1490872584773.png
551KB, 921x634px
>>81099336
You're not "supposed" to do anything, but Sopranos kind of kicked of the TV trend of morally ambiguous (or downright villainous) characters that a large part of the audience also sympathize with in some ways
>>
>>81099836
>alcoholic nihilist

Roger isn't that complex
>>
>>81099836
>DUDE ACID LMAO
>>
you're supposed to understand him
>>
>>81100387
Eveyone is an alcoholic nihilist on that show which is why it sucks
>>
Not really, the point is try to understand him I guess. What I love about the character is that compared to the protagonists of other shows, Don is opaque as fuck and even at the end of the show he remains sort of an enigma.
>>
>>81100445
Eat my ass faglord
>>
these >>81099930 >>81099836
women understand Chad
>>
>>81099336
I liked him because he's a flawed human being who is interesting.
>>
>>81100343
>sympathize with Tony Soprano
Watch out everyone! We've got an edgy 13-year-old here!
>>
>>81100716

You're stupid. Where do you think the "anti-hero" trope originated? The idea is that the guy is a complete piece of shit but there are glints of humanity that allow the viewer to empathize. It's done deliberately. It isn't just a stance taken by edge lords, dumbfuck.

If you're point in commenting is that you are so morally incorruptible that you shit the Eucharist, then take your fucking sanctimony elsewhere, dick stain.
>>
>>81100885

your
>>
>>81100716
Have you watched the show?
>>
>>81099336
You're supposed to self-insert as him because you were taught by society that his empty, materialistic lifestyle is what everyone should aspire to
>>
>>81099336
You can admire his natural style and raw talent, yes.
But the rest of Don's character is pretty despicable. Mad Men is not a show to watch if you like good people trying to be good people. Very few shows about good people these days.
>>
File: 1480622877823.gif (655KB, 460x426px) Image search: [Google]
1480622877823.gif
655KB, 460x426px
You can analyze his character for centuries.

also this
>>81100565
>>
>>81099501
Fpbp

Underrated

Came here to post this

etc
>>
>>81100716
empathise*
>>
>>81100387
Alcoholic nihilist that sometimes struggles with feeling like he didn't earn his way to his success, but in a way that doesn't really matter to him since in the end he is a nihilist.
>>
>>81099336
If you're a fedora wearing pleb.

Don is likable, but his actions are generally bad.

This is not to say that he is an unattractive man, indeed a lot of his behavior is tolerated on account of him being an attractive figure, but an inability to distinguish the two areas is far from desirable.

>>>81099585
>He's not supposed to be the writer's idea of "perfect Chad is the absolute coolest," if that's what you're asking.

I think you might be wrong. Especially since the writing staff of Mad Men was entirely female, and especially considering that they were drawn from a social cohort that is notorious for going to New York City to pursue both a career and a husband. Don Draper is very likely wish fulfillment on their part. At least in his mannerisms they are writing what they would like to find. Roger Sterling seems more of a father figure. Cosgrove, Abe, Pete, etc. are various man types that they know.
>>
>>81101343
The whole point is that it's set up to be wish fulfillment at the beginning, but we learn more about the character where we no longer admire him like we did previously. The other characters, especially Pete, do represent various characteristics of men.
>>
>>81100885
>glints of humanity that allow the viewer to empathize.
>Tony Soprano
Are you really that much of an idiot? And anyways, that isn't what "the idea" of an anti hero is; an anti-hero is literally just a main character who isn't a traditional hero. You're dumber than a bag of bricks.

>If you're point in commenting is that you are so morally incorruptible that you shit the Eucharist, then take your fucking sanctimony elsewhere, dick stain

*Tips fedora*
>>
>>81099336
You admire him, then you pity him.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.