[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost in the Shell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 13

File: Ghost in the Shell.jpg (178KB, 510x755px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost in the Shell.jpg
178KB, 510x755px
Just got back from this one.

Full disclosure: I have not seen the original. I've always meant to, just never got around to it.

I thought it was decent. The music and cinematography are very easily the top two qualities of the film. Having not seen the original, I have no clue how much of these two elements was taken from the original and how much was unique to this movie.

I'm usually the kind of guy to roll his eyes at the "white-washing" meme cried out everywhere, but this movie did feel pretty fucking weird at times. It's set in Tokyo, and almost everyone is Japanese. All of the main characters, though, (except her Miyagi-mentor-character dude) are white; good guys and bad. It's just awkward, and there's a really fucking weird moment where she finds out that she was an Asian chick before she was rebuilt as a cyborg that feels borderline offensive, especially as it comes right after a scene where she's being told that she's better than she was before.

Dialogue's a little cliche'd, again not sure if any of the lines were from the original or not.
Some really cool sequences, that one where she takes out the guy in the ankle-deep water that was in the trailers was pretty cool, and so were two of the Japanese dude's scenes.
Final fight scene is pointless, I think they just wanted to show us the spider-tank. VFX were solid.

Probably go a 6/10.

Anyone else seen it yet? What did you think? Also happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>81039481
all style, no substance
pretty much missed the whole point of the source material
>>
I have only seen the trailers but it did appear that the music is identical to the original (or at least the main theme/opening track)
Which I thought was a weird choice.
>>
>>81039537
I didn't really get the "point" of it, no. She concludes that her mind is her soul and that she's still human where it counts, but literally everyone had been in agreement on that since the first scene of the film so there wasn't any realisation or anything.

>>81039550
Ah okay, fair enough. The music was pretty damn cool.
>>
>>81039481
>Full disclosure: I have not seen the original. I've always meant to, just never got around to it.

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>81039577
Why? Do you think that only people who have seen originals should see remakes? Nobody would ever make any money.
>>
>>81039577
the original is overrated garbage.
literally just as bad as akira and ninja scroll
>>
>>81039577
You should analyse a movue based on its own merits and flaws, not if its a carbon copy of your favorite cartoon.

t. Guy who love the original
>>
And my shitty cinema has it only in 3D. They don't want my money.
>>
>>81039481
If they're going to whitewash the Major, they should've set it in New York or at least San Francisco. Or hell, Japan Town or something.
>>
>>81039667
Unfortunately tonight's screening was also in 3D.
It was a critics' screening hosted by a Paramount rep, I didn't get any say in the matter. The 3D was a little distracting but didn't take away TOO much from the movie, except for one obligatory gimmick where some rubble for an explosion flies at the screen.
Our whole audience groaned, though, so that was nice.
>>
Does the ending differ from the animated film at all?
>>
>>81039764
>Does the ending differ from the animated film at all?
>>81039481
>Full disclosure: I have not seen the original. I've always meant to, just never got around to it.
>>
>>81039692
I was thinking this the whole way through. Why not just take the story and set it in New York?
Totally bizarre to keep it in Tokyo filled with Japanese people but make all the main characters white,
>>
>>81039890
Tokyo has a very distinct aesthetic to it that is associated with GitS. Also the soundtrack wouldn't fit a New York setting.
>>
>>81039967
Well yeah, but both of those things could've been changed.
Granted, as they were my favourite two elements of the film, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.
>>
>>81039481
Spoil the ending please.
>>
>>81039537
Better than the "no style, no substance" of the original. Basically just a boring Blade Runner with a terrible framerate.
>>
>>81039692
>If they're going to whitewash the Major
maybe there's no japanese model of a combat android?
>>
is this scene in it?
>>
>>81039990
>Evil CEO dude finds out that Major is aware of her beginnings and has her brought in, orders her creator kill her. >Creator helps her escape instead
>she rendezvous with the model who preceded her
>spider tank attacks both of them
>she destroys tank
>other dude sort of lets himself die / commits suicide so his "ghost" can "join the network" or something
>Major's Japanese mentor dude beats evil CEO in a quick-draw duel
>Major rejoins her team
>the end

>>81040000
checked.

>>81040060
She's built from scratch.

>>81040116
Yes
>>
>>81040158
holy shit i must see it
>>
>>81040000
when i said source material i meant the manga and the movie
>>
>>81040158
The story sounds completely different from the anime.
>>
>>81039481
>there's a really fucking weird moment where she finds out that she was an Asian chick before she was rebuilt as a cyborg that feels borderline offensive, especially as it comes right after a scene where she's being told that she's better than she was before.
That sounds awful. I still want to see this trainwreck

> that one where she takes out the guy in the ankle-deep water that was in the trailers was pretty cool
Do yourself a favour and watch the original then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mXrndt1ZI
>>
>>81040158
>>81040257
Forgot to mention that between the quick-draw duel and Major rejoining the team, Major goes back and hugs her Asian mother and tells her she doesn't need to visit her daughter's tombstone anymore.
>>
>>81040567
>mother
Okay this is definitely completely different than the anime.
>>
>>81040567
Is the line in japanese?
>>
>>81039638

I haven't seen the original Ghost in the Shell, just the Anime series, which was pretty good. I saw Akira on Sci Fi's Saturday Anime programming and I saw Ninja Scroll on Cinemax at night. Akira and Ninja Scroll were pretty good and weren't overrated garbage.
>>
>>81040738
Yeah so after her creator lets her go instead of killing her and before she rendezvous with the other guy, she takes a key that she was given to an apartment, where she meets an old Asian lady. She looks around the apartment and the lady just lets her because she reminds her of her dead Asian daughter who went missing a couple of years ago.
Eventually the Asian woman says she reminds her so much of her and asks who she is, ScarJo says she doesn't know, and then as she leaves the old lady asks her to visit her sometime and ScarJo says okay.
This scene and the other scene I mentioned where she goes back and says hi again at the tombstone are the only two scenes where the mother appears. The mother speaks in English the whole time.

>>81040851
As far as I can recall, the only main character to speak in Japanese at all is the Japanese mentor guy, and all of his lines are in Japanese. It's a little jarring.
>>
>white cyborg used to be human asian
>still has an asian mother
>hugs her asian mother and tells her that her daughter is back home and now white
that is fucking horrendous.
>>
>>81039566
>I didn't really get the "point" of it, no. She concludes that her mind is her soul and that she's still human where it counts, but literally everyone had been in agreement on that since the first scene of the film so there wasn't any realisation or anything.
well in the original the major doesn't have memory of her life before being a cyborg but her origin wasn't the subject of the movie.

The amnesia was were to point the fact that living in a world were ghost (consciousness) can be hacked (memory/personnality modification) and bodypart replaced, the Major without memory her original body doubt about her existence (as defined by Descartes duality a material body and immaterial soul)

The Puppet Master is actually a AI who gained sentience and propose to the Major to fuse her counsciousness with him.
Because like that the AI would evolve and experience death like an actual lifeform and the Major could evolve beyond cartesian duality and make obsolete her existential crisis.

But that just the theme of the first movie GiTS was also about investigation/society/military/politic in a cyberpunk world with the Section 9 being an military task force (death squad) charged to do police/national security job.
>>
from the trailers it looks to be very well made.
>>
>>81040257
it's a Bourne's identity plot from what I read
>>
>>81039481
>I have not seen the original
>I went to watch the american remake instead

you are just retard.
>>
File: 1430335875660.gif (387KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1430335875660.gif
387KB, 500x447px
>moment where she finds out that she was an Asian chick before she was rebuilt as a cyborg

Oh for fuck sake.
>>
>>81039481
>Full disclosure: I have not seen the original.
stoped reading there
>>
what made the major so good at everything?
like how is she some super hacker and incredible fighter?
>>
>>81039537
>all style, no substance

So just like the original anime movie then?
>>
1. 2nd GiG
2. SAC
3. Innocence
4. GiTS (1995)
5. GiTS Live Action (2017)
6. SSS
999. GiTS Manga
∞. Arise
>>
>>81041176
>The Puppet Master is actually a AI who gained sentience and propose to the Major to fuse her counsciousness with him.
>Because like that the AI would evolve and experience death like an actual lifeform and the Major could evolve beyond cartesian duality and make obsolete her existential crisis.
Okay, none of that was in the live-action film. The antagonist (The Puppet Master, I guess? Don't remember if he was referred to this in the film) is actually the result of the same experiment as Major. They were childhood pals and he was the failed experiment that preceded her success.
If there's any sort of message or theme that this film explores I guess it's that the true self will always reappear, no matter how deep it's buried. They continually wipe her memory and it never seems to work, she always "glitches" and remembers again.

>>81041184
Besides the script, it was.

>>81041226
>>81041347
I was paid to go and see it. I never watched Power Rangers either, but I still went and saw that one, too. I've also seen Starsky and Hutch and 21 Jump Street without ever watching their respective series, is that also retarded?

>>81041352
Well she was a machine so maybe it was an "I know Kung Fu" thing or maybe her body was just built for it, I dunno. It's not really important.
>>
So will /tv/ kill themselves now that the movie turns out to be somewhat watchable?
>>
>>81041577

Read the thread. If this is true they completely butchered the original story and its meaning. What a mess.
>>
>ITT we all get surprised that the new GitS film is pretty but empty
>>
>>81041489
>Innoncence over GitS
Viper yourself my man
>>
OP here. Forgot to mention that Major performs Legolas' defying-physics-by-jumping-up-falling-pieces-of-debris-up-to-safety move at one point. Probably the only time the VFX weren't top notch.
>>
>>81039481
>Full disclosure: I have not seen the original

stopped reading
>>
>>81039481
3D?
>>
>>81042869
Yeah, because the only people who should comment on a film are those who have thoroughly researched the history of the project as well as all of the source material.
>>
>>81039537
Style is substance
>>
God this sounds fucking horrible. lol
>>
File: The Hobbit rocks.webm (3MB, 1280x580px) Image search: [Google]
The Hobbit rocks.webm
3MB, 1280x580px
>>81042861
Dope
>>
File: 1489937076001.jpg (13KB, 245x246px) Image search: [Google]
1489937076001.jpg
13KB, 245x246px
>>81042911
>Style is substance
>>
>>81042895
See >>81039694
It was converted in post, not shot in 3D, and that was noticeable.
>>
>>81042869
See >>81041561
>>
>>81041561
>The antagonist (The Puppet Master, I guess? Don't remember if he was referred to this in the film) is actually the result of the same experiment as Major.
I know the antagonist is taken from the season 2 of the show. His name is Kuze, in the show him and the major became full cyborg after their plane crashed when they were child.
In the show Kuze is a leader of a revolutionary claiming the autonomy of the refugee district. All this story happen in a context of Japan wanting to have closer relashionship with China and be less dependant of the US military protection.
>>
>>81042928
ah shit, looked like flat pages of paper with a depth?
>>
>>81041352
>what made the major so good at everything?
In the manga/anime the Major is a military with war, anti-terrorism and cyberwarfare experience.
>>
Scarlet is actually a shell of an Asian.
>>
>>81043016
Okay so in the film, they were two teenagers who ran away from home and they with a few other runaways live together in a shack on the outskirts of the city, and the company comes in and kidnaps them all for experimentation.
His motivation in the movie is revenge, not autonomy for a district.
>>
>>81043075
I predicted that. But it would have been way cooler if she actually had changed to an asian cyberbody by the end of the movie with some actress like Pacific Rim chick playing her.
>>
>>81043041
Yeah it was more that anything in the background was still 2D and it was just the character at the forefront of the shot that was 3D. Bit weird.

>>81043075
Yes, I said that in the OP. She was asian before she was built into a cyborg.
>>
>>81043247
Or better, they could have done it midway. But it would have taken too much guts.
>>
>>81043016
Gits sac is a different continuity
Kuze just reminded her of him, he wasn't that guy. At some point she asks him if he can fold paper and he says no and seems surprised by her question
>>
>>81043016
>him and the major became full cyborg after their plane crashed when they were child
Was that part of their plan? Did the fire rise?
>>
>>81043224
So generic memory revenge plot like Total Recall/Bourne's identity with the usual "future tech is bad" undertone you can see in the majority of US sci-fi movie ?

not surprising but GiTS isn't supposed to be judgemental about its world
>>
>>81043265
So what does Kitano do in the movie? And does he speak engrish?
>>
>>81043324
>Kuze just reminded her of him, he wasn't that guy. At some point she asks him if he can fold paper and he says no and seems surprised by her question
It was heavily implyed it was the same guy
>>
>>81043409
For the most part yes as far as bourne/total recall.
I actually got more of a Robocop vibe just because she was a living person supplanted into an almost entirely cyborg body with her memory wiped and trying to figure out who she was.

I don't think desu movie was too anti-technology, seemed to be pretty balanced on the pros and cons.
>>
>>81043453
See >>81040939
As far as I can recall he doesn't have a single English line. He speaks Japanese to everybody and they all speak English back to him.
He has two cool scenes, one where three guys are sent to assassinate him and another where he has a quick-draw 1v1 cowboy style duel.
>>
Man this sounds like reboot Robocop 2.0 except instead of being a cop turned android, she was an Asian woman that turned into a white android. Oh and she has an antagonistic counterpart to boot that seeks to destroy the big bad corporation.
>>
File: 1490588148351.jpg (7KB, 255x220px) Image search: [Google]
1490588148351.jpg
7KB, 255x220px
>>81042911
i'm pretty sure the poster you've replied was intented not that kind of style but just the stylish referredto the action scenes full of crappy capeshit CGI-fireworks...
also, kys
>>
>>81043556
Cheers.
>>
>>81043592
Yeah, definitely got a Robocop vibe.
>>
>>81040000
Nice digits wasted on a literal retard.
>>
>>81041489
Found the brainlet.
>>
File: 1320126275481.jpg (36KB, 330x379px) Image search: [Google]
1320126275481.jpg
36KB, 330x379px
>>81039481
>Full disclosure: I have not seen the original.
Then i'm not interested in anything you have to say.
>>
>>81044091
See >>81041561

There are other elements of a film besides how faithful it is to source material.
A good movie should be able to stand up on its own, and a sound judgment of a film should be restricted to that film.
>>
>>81040158
>>Major's Japanese mentor dude
Is that Takeshi's character?
>>
>>81044143
Yes
>>
>>81039890
Ffs they white-washed the actor, can you imagine if they white-washed the setting lol
>>
>>81044091
oh no
>>
>not watching the original before the live action

Westerners are disgusting
>>
>>81044173
>Takeshi quick-drawing
Based
>>
>>81044194
Better to white-wash both or neither than white-washing one of them, imo.
>>
>>81041853
Because its not using the film's story. It has been known for months that they'll do Kuze's story for this adaptation
>>
>>81044212
Eh, I checked Netflix and Stan (basically an Australian Netflix) before the screening but it was on neither and I didn't want to illegally download it.
Could've gone and bought a physical copy but couldn't be bothered.

I don't know why it's "disgustin" to watch a film before watching all prior versions of that film. Are you saying you only ever watch original IP unless you've seen everything belonging to said IP?
>>
I can't imagine SJW's appreciating the reveal she was an Asian chick prior. Fucking hilarious.

I'm not going to bother watching this garbage. Whoever thought to themselves "I really want to watch another movie from the guy who made Snow White and the Huntsman!"
>>
>>81044326
I never watched either of those Snow White movies. Bad?
Reckon if they'd stayed together KStew would be the Major instead?
>>
>>81044301

But they still used lots of scenes from the original movie without using any of its philosophy. Why not throw in some robots and call it Transformers 5?
>>
>>81044444
Quints.
>>
>>81044301
And they've butchered Kuze's story.
>>
>>81043487
Is it true that protagonist act surprised in front of technology related twist while it is pretty much everyday in GiTS world
>>
>>81039481
>born Asian
>rebuild white (+jew power)

thats every asians white dream isn't it?
>>
>>81039550
I hope they kept the wub wub version of the main theme. I want this to be so bad they never touch my Chinese cartoons again.
>>
File: IMG_6806.png (421KB, 401x620px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6806.png
421KB, 401x620px
Okay is it good enough that people might start taking an interest in chink cartoons as the next capeshit?

If so who the fuck are we gonna cast as Joseph Joestar
>>
>>81046281
Chris Evans.
>>
So they were so adamant about denying accusations of white-washing that they actively cast everyone important white even though the movie is set in Japan? Doing what you want is one thing but it's retarded if it goes against the internal logic of the movie.
>>
>>81039481
>there's a really fucking weird moment where she finds out that she was an Asian chick before she was rebuilt as a cyborg that feels borderline offensive, especially as it comes right after a scene where she's being told that she's better than she was before.
This movie is going to be a fucking trainwreck I can't wait
>>
>>81046424
A little old for it I'd say, homeboy's 18 in Part 2
>>
File: 1397628235790.gif (979KB, 268x150px) Image search: [Google]
1397628235790.gif
979KB, 268x150px
>>81039566
>She concludes that her mind is her soul and that she's still human where it counts
>>
Does it end on a sequel bait?
>>
>>81046593
Why is Batou hitting himself
>>
File: gits (2).jpg (171KB, 774x516px) Image search: [Google]
gits (2).jpg
171KB, 774x516px
>>81043409
>not surprising but GiTS isn't supposed to be judgemental about its world

GitS can be judgmental of its world, it just does it in a extremely pragmatic way that's above normal human considerations.
>>
File: 1461618590407.jpg (47KB, 570x800px) Image search: [Google]
1461618590407.jpg
47KB, 570x800px
>>81046623
This is important, bump for interest
>>
>>81046691

She seems to be hacking into his brain so he hits himself.
>>
>>81043464
That was just the major perspective I think, he wasn't 'the same guy but he was 'the same kinda guy'. It's possible kuze just didn't remember his life before going cyber or joining (or being conscripted) army which would explain why he doesn't remember her

It doesn't matter that much desu :3 it's more of a thematic thingy that literal. The major sort of falling is mostly due to her merging for a second with his consciousness there. She admired his dedication I think or idk
>>
https://youtu.be/SI1OcuBObz4
Here's the butchering of the first 10 minutes
>>
>>81046976
nice body
>>
>>81040158
>>Evil CEO dude finds out that Major is aware of her beginnings and has her brought in, orders her creator kill her. >Creator helps her escape instead
>>she rendezvous with the model who preceded her
>>spider tank attacks both of them
>>she destroys tank
>>other dude sort of lets himself die / commits suicide so his "ghost" can "join the network" or something
>>Major's Japanese mentor dude beats evil CEO in a quick-draw duel
>>Major rejoins her team
>>the end

wtf i love kino now
>>
File: 1489209632800.jpg (25KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
1489209632800.jpg
25KB, 304x500px
>>81046623
>>81046821
do any of you faggots have any info on this
>>
>>81046976
>hates being a cyborg

Nah, she's not that weak.
They seem to have changed her personality into shit.
>>
>>81041577
They already lost originality by copying the fight scenes from the animated movie, and the plot is pretty garbage from what was revealed. Kinda like watching Resident Evil.
>>
>>81046976
>Playstation video
>>
File: 1472462581727.jpg (10KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
1472462581727.jpg
10KB, 249x249px
>>81041561
>They continually wipe her memory and it never seems to work, she always "glitches" and remembers again.
>>
>>81047730
This is the seminal novel of japanese author Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human.
>>
>>81040939
Does the gravestone really says Motoko Kusanagi is FUCKING ENGLISH?
>>
Is Togusa not a main character?
>>
>>81050298
Thank you.
>>
>>81050751
>>
>>81039481

>set in Tokyo
>main characters are white
>where she finds out that she was an Asian chick before she was rebuilt as a cyborg

I have so many questions

Welp it certainly sounds hella plot-questionable. Think I'll go listen to the original movie soundtrack and and deliberate whether I'm annoyed enough to avoid seeing it altogether.
>>
>>81040000
Waste of quads
>>
>>81039481
How's everyone already seen the movie when it doesn't come out til Friday?
>>
>>81039481
Themes?

The 1995 movie was basically about someone dealing with grief over the realization that the human mind is no different from any other batch of data, and by the end they've come to accept this.
>>
>>81051374 here, didn't read the thread.

>>81041561
>If there's any sort of message or theme that this film explores I guess it's that the true self will always reappear, no matter how deep it's buried. They continually wipe her memory and it never seems to work, she always "glitches" and remembers again.
So it gives us a happy way out instead of forcing us to deal with some terrible truth. Got it.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.