[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

File: Life_(2017_film).png (96KB, 220x326px) Image search: [Google]
Life_(2017_film).png
96KB, 220x326px
Thoughts?
>>
>>80962372
It's interesting how the film was scarier when the monster was little and got increasingly less scary as it grew.
Kind of the opposite to Alien.
>>
>>80962372
One of the dumbest pieces of shit I've seen in a while.

>>80962485
You could see the Sony executives hovering over this film.

>Hmmm we need a scarier monster, give it a mean angry face
>but sir every cell of this organism functions as a nerve cell meaning the structure of a face is completely unnecessary as it can see eat smell and hear from every cell in its body simultaneously
>yeah but nah tho, have it get right in Jake Gylenhall's face, like scowling at him like it wants to fight
>>
How did it attach to the black guys leg? Did he see a second one beforehand?
Why did the chick hurtle into space at the end?
Why would the gook open the capsule after looking inside?
How did the director get this job after a string of failures?
>>
>>80962558
>Hmmm we need a scarier monster, give it a mean angry face
That was shit. Why do creature designs always revert to the same shit?
>>
>>80962372
6/10

The Bad.
>Adds no innovation or creativity at all in characterisation or themes to the space horror sub-genre; borrows too much from Alien, too visually similar to Gravity at times.
>Another movie that relies too much on super intelligent characters acting like fucking morons
>Pacing suffers towards the end with the scenes where Gyllenhaal is reading the book. No one is emotionally invested enough in the characters to put up with that.
>Predictable. Especially the bait and switch ending.

The Good.
>it's generally well made, the tension is sustained pretty much to the end.
>memorable scenes like Calvin's handshake or the drowning death sequence.
>Gyllenhaal is good.
>Calvin was an effective monster. I found him to be scarier when he was smaller thqh.
>>
>>80962589
1. Literally made no sense whatsoever. He saw it from a far distance and then the next scene it's under his pants. I think they were trying to imply he did it intentionally to kill them all because abloo abloo muh alien isn't evil it just kills to live MAAAAN

2.Her pod got hit by debris or some shit. Still no fucking idea why Gylenhall's pod went to earth though.

3.There was no reason for this. He shouldn't have even been able to open it if the only purpose of it was a booster to push the ISS away from earth.
>>
post pic of ayylamo in the film.
>>
>>80962558
>You could see the Sony executives hovering over this film.
I could see it mostly in the ending.
The "twist" specifically.
>>
>>80962589
She hit debris as she attempted re-entry and spun out into space.

Those fisherman opening the capsule was dumb as fuck. Seeing Calvin land on earth was more that enough. We know that he's innovative enough to escape without retards opening the door for him. It was unnecessary.
>>
>>80962686
>>80962589
Gyllenhaal made it down to earth because the monster was holding his hand, preventing him from changing trajectory.
>>
>>80962372
it's a meme movie taylor made for reddit
>>
File: IMG_1766.png (56KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1766.png
56KB, 250x188px
>>80962704
>>
>>80962807
who's taylor
>>
>>80962660
It definitely had some highlights. Gyllenhaal's acting, Reynold's death scene and a few tense moments. Somewhat worth seeing on big screen. Really just a space monster movie though
>>
>>80962796
Then they should have made that a bit more clear. They went so far as to show him putting it in manual mode (lol like okay) and blatantly showed a screen that had his new trajectory on it. Why not flash to the same screen to indicate what you're saying?

The whole ending with the alien and Gyllenhaal in the pod was dumb and poorly filmed. I couldn't tell if it was killing him or not, but I guess LE SOOPER SMART alien knew that earth was full of stuff to eat and understood what an escape pod was capable of, and also how to manually fly an escape pod to earth.
>>
>Use the gun on it! Oh wait you're out of fuel!

>Burn it with the thrusters for two seconds. Oh no, we're out of fuel!

>We've lost communications with earth! For some reason.

Maybe it's because I saw it in the cinema but I still enjoyed it in spite of all the shit. The limitations of the writer/director was really on show though. They had no idea how to arrive at a suspenseful situation without a character doind something stupid first.
>>
>>80962796
This makes sense, but I don't recall the chick getting hit by debris? May have missed it
>>
>>80962872
It had to be unclear as fuck so the audience doesn't know what the hell is going on, that's the only way the basic cheap-ass bait and switch was going to work.
It's a flawed idea from the outset.
>>
Why the fuck would they send a cripple to space?
>>
>>80962872
They wanted to keep us unaware that Jake's pod was the one returning to earth and the girl was the one spinning off into deep space.
>>
>>80962872
Gyllenhaal should have jammed the controls or opened the airlock, but that would have ruled out the twist ending
>>
>>80962916
So that they could have the scene where he relates being in zero gravity to being free and like flying. Literally the ONLY reason he was crippled.
>>
>>80962916

Why not, in zero G he'll be no more disabled than anyone else. Also, he's probably an egghead.
>>
>>80962879
The explanations were that Calvin either drank all the fluids and they had to burn fuel to divert course earlier to intercept the busted satellite that had the alien on it.
That scene is probably the best in the movie to be honest, the one where Reynolds operates the arm to catch the satellite. That and the little kid in times square which was comical an the handshake/reynolds death scene.

Overall this movie had a really strong first act, I think it was better than Sunshine.
>>
>>80962916
He was the black kid from malcolm in the middle
>>
File: IMG_1767.png (210KB, 583x329px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1767.png
210KB, 583x329px
Times when you acted like Calvin?
>>
>>80963005
>black guy tries to shake my hand
>>
>>80962943
It was also because being crippled made his obsession with Calvin more understandable. Remember he talks about the importance of Calvin in repairing human cells and making massive jumps in saving people on earth.

I felt like there was about 30 minutes cut from the movie. Moments like the failure in the lab and Jake reading the book didn't make a lot of sense within the cut they released.
>>
>>80962954
Come to think of it, Sunshine, Europa Report, this, they're all semi-competent SciFi movies with completely botched endings that nobody likes to talk about. What is that?

>>80963005
This movie had some mediocre cgi. Their decision to shatter the black guy's hand while inside the glove was clever, rubber is easier to make convincing in CG than an actual bare hand.
>>
>>80963067
>I felt like there was about 30 minutes cut from the movie

Ab-so-fucking-lutely. They LEAPT from getting the sample on board to AHHHHHHH EVERYTHING IS FUCKED so fast. There was almost zero character development for Gyllenhaal which is weird since he ended up being the most prominent character.
>>
File: IMG_1768.jpg (3MB, 2500x1664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1768.jpg
3MB, 2500x1664px
Is it a requirement of every space mission that a retard is part of the crew?
>>
>>80963070
The cgi islands and ocean at the end was atrocious
>>
>science guy gets fucked up in quarantine with alien and is unconscious
WE GOTTA GET 'EM OUTTA THERE
>hothead crew member says fukkit and goes in there, gets an alien rammed down his throat and is obviously dead in quarantine
WE GOTTA GET 'EM OUTTA THERE
>>
>>80963174
I don't think any character in this movie acted like a retard. It felt more like the movie was trying to come up with convenient ways to hinder its characters at every turn.

>>80963199
The pod itself landing was worse.
>>
File: IMG_1769.jpg (66KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1769.jpg
66KB, 480x360px
>imma sacrifice myself because it's just me and Calvin on the outside of the ship and I'm drowning anyway... but not before I perform a jump and race to the hatch door so I can stare at Jake as I die
>>
>ah yes, I must close the sprinklers
>but, as you know, aboard the ISS each and every sprinkler must be closed individually
>i must now input a 10 digit code like a 90s hacker set to tense music to close each one in a race against the alien

WHY

FUCKING WHY
>>
>>80963174
It's a requirement that all space/horror movie crews are retards. It's just a bonus if one is more retarded than the rest
>>
The Reynolds death scene actually had me feel uncomfortable in my throat. Gotta give it credit for that.
Last half was shit though.
>>
>>80962558

Thats exactly what I was thinking during the second half of the movie.
>>
>>80962589
>How did it attach to the black guys leg? Did he see a second one beforehand?

He is a cripple, he has no feeling in his legs.
>>
>>80962372
Pretty good for a venom prequel.
>>
>>80963318
At least in Alien there was sabotage involved. It made everything that happened easier to swallow. In other space movies they develop mental breakdowns as the reason for characters doing stupid shit. What Reynold's character does in this movie is simply retarded and unforgivable from a story telling standpoint.
>>
>>80963486
Oh come on man. Even if your arm was numb you'd notice if a 20lb python coiled itself around you, even in zero gravity.
>>
Why was jake still alive at the very end? Calvin didn't need him anymore.
>>
>>80964029
Because that way he could scream at the camera in vain as some dirty gooks doom the entire known world through their ignorance
>>
>>80962558
>nerves can smell and taste and whatnot

I don't think that's how it works
>>
>>80962686
2. their pods collided. and her thrusters broke that's why she was spinning away. but the way it was filmed was meant to keep the twist ending even though it was predictable. they didn't show inside the pod until the ping pongs got to it at the end.
>>
>>80964029
Maybe Calvin knew that no one would open the door for him unless Jake was alive.
>>
Anyone else think the movie was loud as fuck? Like it was too loud?

Maybe it was just the sound in the cinema I was in.
>>
>>80964168
Well, that is how it works, so.
>>
Why did no one tell space nigger that zapping and electrocuting the alien was probably a terrible idea? Why did they let him back in the lab when it was clear that his methods were becoming dangerous?
>>
>>80964168
What exactly is it you think happens in your various sensory organs? Magic?
>>
>>80962558
>>80964168
>>80964258
>alien creature has nerves
Maximum fucking lyls. Let me guess, it had DNA too?
I knew this movie would be shit from the first 15 seconds of the trailer
>>
The handshake and Reynold's death were genuinely unnerving
The rest was meh but still enjoyable
>>
>>80964258
>>80964439
Don't nerves send the information from the receptors to your brain? That doesn't make nerves receptors. Or are they?
>>
>>80964557
They implied in the movie that each cell is a receptor/nerve as well as a muscle. That "all muscle all brain all eyes" faggot line they used seemed to imply it at least
>>
File: juuust.png (409KB, 776x883px) Image search: [Google]
juuust.png
409KB, 776x883px
>>80962372
Triggered, no living organism can survive reentry into the atmosphere due to intramolecular bonds breaking. Why didnt they let the iss crash. Calvin came from one cell, no indications it was an egg cell. So presumably his cells cover the ship and characters. Disease control lady wants to go back to earth.....
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-25+at+04.21.15).png (930KB, 851x678px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-25+at+04.21.15).png
930KB, 851x678px
>>80962628
Because all the good Jews got killed for being problematic to Zionists so all we have now are shitty slags who got their jobs through nepotism and know nothing of the craft whatsoever.

We'll never ever get a decent monster movie ever again.
>>
>>80964557
Receptors are a part of a sensory neuron.
>>
>>80964258
False, need dedicated receptors for different senses.
>>
>escape pods were on the ship the whole time
>they were going to freeze/die in earth's re-entry until jake came up with his master plan

wtf
>>
>>80964803
This blew my fucking mind. It all could have been solved if they just went for the pods the minute shit hit the fan and left the alien up there on the ISS.

>inb4 the alien would have figured out how to crash the ISS into earth and survive
>>
>>80964891
Now that would have been an interesting premise
>>
>>80964891
they only had 2 lifeboats for some raisin
>>
>>80964950
Each pod was big enough to cram 3 people into, it's not like the journey back to Earth takes very long. I guess they wouldn't have had seat belts, but that doesn't matter and I'd rather take my chances in the pod than with the body sucking alien.
>>
>>80964534
Then they turned Calvin into a generic squid.
>>
File: parker and brett4_final.jpg (16KB, 480x204px) Image search: [Google]
parker and brett4_final.jpg
16KB, 480x204px
>>80963318
>a bonus?
>>
The creature being smart kinda felt cheap It was "smart" enough to flood the commander's suit on her spacewalk so that she would attempt to re-enter the station but why did it leave the coolant tank in the first place? It also was pretty easily baited but it could be argued that it was smart enough to know that the bait would lead to an opportunity to get control of a life boat. I dunno it was interesting but the evidence is kinda scattered to how intelligent it actually was

Also, I'm not that autistic but I had a hard time not staying immersed by wondering why certain things were happening like after they watched Ryan Reynolds get wrecked by the alien and realizing it escaped into the rest of the station they just gather his body and wrap it up and then calmly try to establish comms, there was no suspense to the moment. I'd be completely freaked and panicked if there was a possibility that what I had just seen could happen to me. Or it being on the doctor's leg? I get that he doesnt have feeling but he is wearing a flight suit. He should have felt it wrestle at pull at his clothing. Also Reynolds' death was interesting but i didn't feel the tension to it and the CGI wasn't great enough for a moment like that. I wanted this to be good but this was just very average.
>>
>>80962951
What's an egghead
>>
>>80964710
the hell is that image supposed to be, I'm lurking and I see it's called the Pahvant Butte, but what's the story behind it
>>
>British guy
>is black
They definitely hit the nail on the head with the realism part
>>
>>80962686
You're kind of a moron aren't you? None of these things needed spelling out if you just watched the damn movie.

1. In a very cheesy scene, we see from Calvin's point of view that he's stalking and eventually see the cripple. The implication is that he wrapped himself around his leg without him noticing because he's a cripple.

2. We clearly see Gyllenhall trying to change the flight trajectory of the pod, but Calvin eventually pins him to the wall. He had his hand on the controls for a little while but It was apparently not long enough.
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-25+at+04.21.02).png (1MB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-25+at+04.21.02).png
1MB, 1000x773px
>>80965464
It's very close to skinwalker ranch, which was such a hotbed for paranormal activity that a reputable billionaire bought the place and has active researchers there. Other organizations thought it credible enough to try and plant spies among said researchers.
>>
>>80965546
That's retarded
>>
>>80964534

Drowning in space was great too, movie gets very average after that.
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-25+at+04.20.39).png (1MB, 972x653px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-25+at+04.20.39).png
1MB, 972x653px
>>80965585
Oh yeah? Well you're fat.
>>
>>80965507
>dont be stupid, an 80lb alien can easily slip under a flight suit and wrap itself around someone's leg without them noticing because they have no feeling in their leg and thus are completely oblivious to everything happening below their waist
>>
It gives me too much of a direct to DVD vibe. If it was so good then why did the producers advertise it like was a January-released horror movie.
>>
I saw the first half before work, and thought it was pretty good. Suspenseful, sure some not great cgi, plot convenience and the like, but it was forgivable. Saw the second half after work and holy shit I wish I just left it at the first half.
>>
>>80965749
He was aware of it on his leg. He was letting it happen.
>>
>>80965829

Did you download it or something? How did you see it in halves?
>>
>>80964029
>>80964108
>>80964208
It was because he was using Jake's body as a nest for reproducing, that's kind of the big reveal. It's like the parasitic wasp with tarantulas.
>>
>>80965616
lol'd
>>
>>80966005
I work at a Mom and pop movie theater, I can just walk in and see a movie during a showing. My shift began halfway through our second showing of the day, and ended during around the same point of our last showing.
>>
How does Reynold's die?
>>
>>80966379
Former theater bro as well, I watched Watchmen like this on a slow Tuesday afternoon while working the floor back when it came out.

I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
>>
>>80966399
It crawls in his mouth and fucks his shit up
>>
>>80966399
Calvin jumps on his face and enters via his mouth. He then gurgles a bit with his eyes blacked out, probably was blood but I couldn't see it clearly enough. Calvin literally eats his insides and Reynolds just floats in 0 gravity while blood flows out
>>
>>80966379

Oh alright, that's pretty awesome.
>>
>>80965546
That's where george lucas lives, right?
>>
>>80965382
This is a term Muricans use to describe people who are able to read a book.
>>
>>80966425
Yea, there's definitely movies I watch that I'm glad I didn't have to pay for. This movie was one of them.

quote('80966477')
Yea, it's pretty rad. Owners are chill, all coworkers are around same age so we get along better than most coworkers probably do. It's minimum wage still, but pretty comfy.
>>
>>80962951
Anon, even having a toothache or sore throat disqualifies you as an astronaut and you are substituted by a member of a "spare" crew.
>>
>>80966646

did you read the rest of my post?

No?

Fuck off then.
>>
>>80962836
a reddit user
>>
File: 1451286020782.gif (543KB, 512x502px) Image search: [Google]
1451286020782.gif
543KB, 512x502px
I loved the movie, but the whole time I was thinking

1. Why the hell is a cripple a part of the crew?
2. Why didn't they change trajectory of the escape pod to the fucking sun? Or the ISS for that matter being that those two were the only one left?
>>
>>80967363
1. Cripple guy was the top expert in his field and needed to be there, hands-on
2. If they didn't send it to deep space they risked messing up and that thing orbiting around the solar system, waiting
>>
>>80962660
Pretty much all this, yeah. Though I guess I don't really know what I expected out of this as far as an ending. Obviously most of them were going to be dead, obviously Jake would be the last one, and the only other ending would be a bait and bait, which would have been dumber.
>>
>>80963070
>they're all semi-competent SciFi movies with completely botched endings that nobody likes to talk about. What is that?

Well, it's hard to end a realistic space movie because of the limitations. They're either all going to die, or someone manages to splashdown.

That's why I give this movie's ending a slight pass, only because, well, what the hell could you do? Although I admit I thought at one point that she would land on Earth and seemingly be ok, but then suddenly vomit up a sample of Calvin like how whatshisname died earlier in the film.
>>
>>80964487
>Alien has sensory organs to perceive its environment
Maximum fucking lyls. Let me guess, it had to metabolize energy too?
I knew this movie would be shit from the first 15 seconds of the trailer.
>>
It was a cute fluffy squid with wings. There was nothing scary about it. You could tame with with water and beef jerkey. The guys freaked out over nothing like expected and died.
>>
Definitely a lot of shit cut. The director made a point of showing blood from a cut on Miranda's finger floating around but it didn't go anywhere.
>>
>>80964234
You should watch the new resident evil
>>
I feel like the pitch for the movie was the ending and they wrote everything else around it.
>>
is there a cam version yet?
>>
I just want some pics/gifs/webs of the creature...
>>
>>80969497
>a cute fluffy squid with wings
>>
What a fucking garbage movie. Pretty much every decision the crew made until the very end was retarded.

When it was still in its cage but was gripping the black guy's hand they should have lowered the temperature and changed the gas makeup back to what it was when the thing was inert.
Under no situation would Ryan Reynolds actually break the quarantine and go in there.
Even if he did, they should have shut the door immediately after and not let either the black guy or Ryan get out.
Once the girl was out on the space walk with Calvin she should have jumped away into space with the tether still on. If Calvin crawled along the tether back to the space station then she would get yanked back via the tether. If Calvin was still on her when the tether was almost out of slack then she should have released it and floated into space with Calvin.
The Japanese guy going to the newly-docked ship was retarded. Then the girl and Jake trying to grab him back was retarded.

Basically, as soon as it broke out of its initial box the crew should have contacted Earth, told them what was up, say their goodbyes, then started to push the ISS out into deep space. They saw the martian turn from a single cell into a fully functional, macroscopic being. When that happens, you know that if a single cell breaks quarantine then you're fucked because it could be like The Thing.

>>80962485
>>80962558
Completely agree.
>>
Calvin probably registered the C02 gas leak as an attack, which is why he went to sleep or feigned death. The scientist shocking the shit out of him then triggers self defense instincts.

Calvin did nothing wrong.
>>
>>80973986
>Once the girl was out on the space walk with Calvin she should have jumped away into space with the tether still on. If Calvin crawled along the tether back to the space station then she would get yanked back via the tether. If Calvin was still on her when the tether was almost out of slack then she should have released it and floated into space with Calvin.

I'm not sure that's fair, they had no idea how smart the thing was or how it would behave. I assume they were operating under the assumption that it simply wouldn't let her go, which seems fair considering that's what it had done previously. Plus I don't imagine it's the most rational decision to immediately tell someone to fuck off into space and die just because it latched onto her suit. It broke her coolant, and she was panicking while drowning in her suit before they could think of better options.
>>
Why didn't they stab it?
>>
>every time Calvin latched on to and cuddled with those light rods

d'aaawwwww
>>
>>80975435

Would you hug him, even knowing it meant death?
>>
>>80974283
By the time it kills mains the black guy, kills Ryan Reynolds, escapes the lab, and survives for at least minutes in the vacuum of space, I think it should be safe to say it is intelligent and nigh invincible.
>>
I wish we saw more dissolving deaths like how it killed the lab rat
>>
>>80975609
So you would immediately tell the chick in space to jump off to certain death? Effective, sure, but seems a bit extreme.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.