[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dude pokers a skill game and the best players consistently win lmao

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (73KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
73KB, 318x159px
Dude pokers a skill game and the best players consistently win lmao
>>
>>80918204
I VILL SPLASH ZE POT IN MY OWN FAHCKING HOUSE

>autisticially plays with Oreos
>>
OP, I've learned this: if you're too big a faggot, your whole life can become a fuckin' shitpost.
>>
>>80918653
>DO YHUU HAEV MY MONEY?

We dont get kino of this class anymore anons
>>
>>80918762
>Rent
>RENT!

You'll get your money when you fix.the damn door!!
>>
norton like when the meme just right
>>
>>80918204
I'm so glad to see this movie randomly talked about on this board in recent months. Did they put it up on Netflix or something? I used to have the DVD on as background noise back in the day.
>>
>>80919039
rounders generals are as old as tv

>its a judges game episode
>>
>>80919124
I've been here longer than I'm willing to admit and rarely ever see it spoken of, not that I mind. Quieter threads are always best.
>>
>>80918204
Don't you fucking dare shit on Rounders you cunt

It's one of the greatest man's movies ever

You must be a chick
>>
>>80919160
>he thinks he sees every thread that goes up

HUURRR DE DUUURP IVE BEEN ON THIS BOARD FOREVER

No one cares
>>
>>80919039
>I'm so glad to see this movie randomly talked about on this board in recent months. Did they put it up on Netflix or something? I used to have the DVD on as background noise back in the day.

I started that, I made the first thread a few months ago, never seen anyone else talk about it here before.

I watched Rounders when I was a teen, didn't stick with me, then I watched it again as an adult with job and debt and it really resonated with me. It's a movie that beautifully captures the transition from the 90s to the 00s.
>>
>>80918204
Don't they?
>>
>>80918923
Kek
>>
>>80919225
Not at all

Most of them borrow money from people and get even on the debt and then do it all over again

Very few actually make over 6 figures a year out of thousands

Variance is too large in poker, even a great player has to lose, and sometimes he has to lose a lot
>>
>>80918204
>>80919039
>>80919172
>talk to real-life prof. poker players
>they all tell me Rounders is to actual poker as American Ninja is to real-life special forces

kek
>>
>>80919257
It's not about the poker, it's about the characters.
>>
Apparently the story of the movie is loosely inspired by the antics of norm macdonald and artie lange in atlantic city
>>
>>80919257

Poker in movies is always ridiculous, which is kind of a shame. Would love to see a realistic poker movie one day.
>>
if every poker player in the world is 'up' then where did that money come from?
>>
>>80919257
>real-life prof. poker players

you mean losers who break even/lose longterm who won a tournament once
>>
>>80919257
>>80919291
This. Nobody thought John Malkovich was real KGB either. It was still a great movie.
>>
>>80919356
It would be boring as shit, just bunch of neckbeards pouring over statistics like baseball junkies and playing the odds within their brackets.
>>
>>80918762
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE
>>
>>80919257
>poker in current year isn't the same as it was in the 90s in new york

no shit
>>
>>80919372

The top 10% of poker players make money, the rest lose it.

>>80919356
Poker as it is now is only watchable if you really lovethe game, it's not really tenable for a film.
>>
>>80919419
>It would be boring as shit, just bunch of neckbeards pouring over statistics like baseball junkies and playing the odds within their brackets.

Like watching Moneyball

That fucking movie felt like doing homework

t. European who doesn't give no fucks about Baseball
>>
>>80919419
kek

then trolling the internet for rakeback offers
>>
>>80918923
>>>/kikebook/
>>
First Rounders thread ive ever seen and you guys fucking ruin it
>>
>>80919839
Hope you learned your lesson fuccboi.
>>
>moral of the story: law school is for faggots, quit it to become a full-time hustler.

They don't make movie like this anymore.
>>
>>80920155
i quit poker (once online got banned) for law school

kek
>>
>>80919257
They were fishes
>>
>>80918653
>>80918762
>>80919433
greatest accent of all time
>>
>>80919257
Damon's character made fundamental mistakes that even professionals back in the 90's wouldn't have made.

Like the bad beat that he takes at the start of the film. The only time you should see a good player egregiously under-rolled for a game is when there's also a terrible fish or fishes at the table. But instead, he decided to risk his entire roll HU against Teddy-KGB (a competent player) for some reason
>>
>>80920612
professionals do this all the time. youre assuming people are rational actors.

people drink, take drugs, have mental lapses, whatever.

lots of "pros" have done this
>>
>>80919254
the hard part of poker is maintaining a stable state of mind when you're experiencing negative variance. You have to be mentally tough. I worked my way up through the PLO micros and decided to take a shot at low stakes last year and ran horrifically bad. In a couple of days I was down $2k while being up $1.5k in EV. I was rolled for the stakes and clearly had an edge so I should have continued playing but I noped the fuck out.
>>
>>80920756
variance is way under estimated by everyone, winning players always have longer good runs. they live by just world fallacies and assume they're better somehow even though they do the same things as everyone else.

for every guy who runs really shit there's a guy who runs really good.

you need to be good and lucky, or just lucky, but being good and unlucky or unlucky will make you lose

in the end its not so much a skill game as it is a luck game
>>
>>80920453
Okay Mr. son of bitch
>>
>>80918923
gday reddit
>>
>>80920877
running like dogshit is tolerable if there are many opponents that are frequently making big mistakes in your games. But as soon as opponents become semi-competent, your edge gets smaller and the luck factor starts smacking you in the face - it's true.

I've never tried grinding MTTs, but I imagine that it could easily drive a person attempting to make a living out of it to suicide
>>
>>80921225
some nerd wrote a blog on the variance in grinding MTTs and it basically showed theres no way to win over the long term without just being super lucky

i cant remember the keywords that lead me to the paper but it was a good read
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.