[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Elle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: elle-poster-paul-verhoeven.jpg (175KB, 656x891px) Image search: [Google]
elle-poster-paul-verhoeven.jpg
175KB, 656x891px
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I don't know if I liked it or not.

I love Verhoeven

I love Huppert

But. I. Don't. Know. If. I. Loved. This. Movie.

I really dig how defiant it is in regards to classification, but beyond that I find myself reaching for more than may be there.

What did y'all like/dislike about it?
>>
Is this the movie about the woman who likes getting raped
>>
>>80839185
kill yourself.
>>
was this as obnoxious to write as it is to read?
>>
>>80839185
I think it's one of the best film of Verhoeven's career. I don't really know how to describe his sense of humor, where everything is SO cynical that it tips over-the-top and becomes satire - but this is the simplest, purest, and most flawlessly effective execution of that style.

The characters are complex and nuanced, their motivations are logical and believable even when they're compelled to behave illogically. But at the same time, everything is kind of heightened and pulpy, in a similar style to Hitchcock or some of David Fincher's films.

Dunno if I'll be able to describe exactly what I got out of the film, but it's all about the divide between our animal impulses, and the edited, sanded-down version of ourselves we present to function in society and be "acceptable" in the eyes of others. It takes that idea to a violent extreme, dealing with "kinks" and secrets that would be completely unacceptable and illegal, but still treats them sympathetically and humanely.
>>
>>80839583
>I think it's one of the best film of Verhoeven's career.

That's not really saying much when your famous for making campy b-movies.
>>
An amazing ode to vices and fetishes that we all have.

Fantastic black comedy/somber drama combination.

Paul's best Paul is the fucking KING.
>>
>>80839583
I don't think it was cynical as much as it was just jaded.. where was the satire part? Sorry, only seen it once.

The baby birth scene at the hospital is amazing. I laughed out for the first time during a film since.. ever? I think. Audible laughing at the middle of the night in my apartment and I couldn't stop.

Huppert and the actor playing her son were pitch perfect in that scene. The way the son couldn't even see the mother, the deer-in-the-headlights gaze of Huppert's character.. it was just fantastic. and when the black friend arrives it makes it even more better, heigthens it. the pacing of the scene is masterful.

This film, is a masterpiece in comedy and drama of modern age imho.
>>
>>80839583
>I think it's one of the best film of Verhoeven's career

You say that like it's a big accomplishment or something.
>>
>>80839185
Hated the flippant ending.
>>
>>80839851
PV is fucking good man.

btw. Showgirls is low key kino and completely misjudged.
>>
>>80839185
The scene where the kid is revealed to be black is hilarious
>>
>>80839791
OP here.

Agreed. That scene was hysterical.
>>
I hate Huppert, she's a bitch.
>>
>>80839991
She does come off as rather icy. I don't even just mean in the film, but in general. She's a fine actress, but she seems pretty self-important/arrogant.
>>
>>80840072
yes she's one of those typical leftist French actor who think they're a new aristocracy and anyone under them is shit.
>>
>>80840137
At least she has the decency to be a good actress. Cunts like Emma Watson would be much more tolerable if they did the same.
>>
>>80840295
Emma is a failure. Huppert at her most insufferably flippant comes off as more convincing/sincere then Emma at her most genuine. Basically, I agree with you lol
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.