[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arrival: Noggin Joggin edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
I avoided watching this for some reason but I just did, it was actually pretty good. As much as I would like to have seen the more 'philosophical' plot points expanded upon, I feel that it would have sapped the poignancy of the ending.

Also side note: We see that she writes a book about the language, but I gather she doesn't mention her 'gift' and what the fuck about the whole 'We'll need your help in 3000 years" that definitely needed some explaining.

Also more side note: Isn't it full understanding of the language that gives this 'gift', not necessarily being touched by their ink like she was?
>>
Bls discuss. We need a pseudo-intellectual circle jerk in here.
>>
>>80785201
imo the beginning of the movie was just her remembering currently what had happened in the past, her daughter hadn't happened until after the events of the movie, shes basically a skilled linguist that went there and got the gift of thinking and seeing things through the past current and future all at the same time, chinese man heard his wifes dying words which may have not happened until chronologically later which in turn led him into helping her call off the attack... the husband that probably left was the mathematician, her talking about re-doing things even if you knew it ended badly makes me feel like there is no beginning or end to the movie, its just events that happened within a lifetime
>>
Comprehension of the language is what allows her to perceive time the way they do. So writing the book and teaching the language to others would allow them to think the same way.

>>80785715
You're overthinking it way too much.
>>
>>80785201

This movie gave me the same emotions Lsd did. So weird, loved the music tho.

Awesome cinematography too.
>>
>>80785201
>come in expecting an alien action flick
>get a linguistics lession
neat
>>
The alien plan to contact earth made no sense at all.
>Twelve ships why
>No indication of peaceful intent why
Just to service the plot, there is no other excuse for their illogical behavior.
>>
>>80786673
>get a wikipedia summary of linguistics
>>
>We see that she writes a book about the language, but I gather she doesn't mention her 'gift' and what the fuck about the whole 'We'll need your help in 3000 years" that definitely needed some explaining.

The whole help angle was thrown in the movie to give it a sense of importance unlike the short story which was more of a conversation about predeterminism

> Isn't it full understanding of the language that gives this 'gift', not necessarily being touched by their ink like she was?

Yes.

Also 6-7/10 movie, abbot didn't begin death process for this shit.
>>
>>80786874
You're being a turd. There would be no movie of it took the "logical" path. Anything capable of ftl would certainly be able to figure humanity out with quick observation. It was about how communication can be difficult, especially if you don't speak the same language
>>
I liked the movie. However I'm a sucker for On the Nature of Daylight even though it's in everything so I was into it from the beginning where it pulled the Up card

I can definitely see why people wouldn't like it though considering the time shit is kind of an ass pull and just Slaughterhouse Five. I did like the twist though. A part of me is fine with it the way it is and another part of me wishes it never went I to timey wimey magic shit and kept the aliens are serious business thing going
>>
at least there no battles vs aliens pew pew pew
>>
>>80787046
I dunno mang, teaching a dolphin english so it could swim to the bottom of the ocean to diffuse mines for humans is just one of the crazy ideas we've kicked around. As dolphins are significantly better swimmers than people.

As such, teaching linear lifeforms a small measure of non-linearity could serve a purpose at some point.

and I hate myself for even remotely justifying this movie. Fuck it was stupid.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.