[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power Rangers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 16

File: Power Rangers.jpg (143KB, 489x755px) Image search: [Google]
Power Rangers.jpg
143KB, 489x755px
Just got back from this one.

Well, it ain't great.

Some cool fight choreography, but very, very little of it. There's only one hand-to-hand fight between the rangers and some putties (two if you count a brief underwater skirmish that leads to the fight on land), and then one fight between the Zords and some putties, then the Zords and Goldar, then the MegaZord and a Rita-infused Goldar.
The dialogue's crap. Massively exposition-heavy, and it can't make up its mind whether it wants to be serious and cool or fun and cheesy. At one point Billy literally yells "Come at me, bro!" to Goldar.

The actors playing the rangers are all taking their roles very seriously, Banks and Cranston seem to be hamming it up and having fun with it. Again, either approach works, but they clash horribly when the performers aren't all on the same page.

Also, yes, Trini is a lesbian and Billy is autistic. No, I mean literally autistic.

The final fight ends with the Megazord literally backhanding Rita into orbit, and a mid-credits scene shows an empty seat in the detention class with a green jacket slung over it, while the teacher on detention duty asks where Tommy Oliver, the new student, is.

There's also allegedly a cameo of Jason David Frank (original green/white ranger) and Amy Jo Johnson (original pink ranger) together but I must've missed it. I think, in hindsight, they may have played a married couple in a jewellery store, but I mustn't have noticed it was them.

Would probably go a 4/10.
Anyone else seen it yet? What did you think? Also happy to answer any questions.
>>
Is there any scenes where they get their asses kicked?
>>
>>80783822
Kinda.

At one point, Rita lures the still-unpowered rangers into a trap where she kills Billy. He is then resurrected by Zordon.
During the big Zords v Goldar fight, he kicks their asses, severely damaging their Zords and pushing them into a pit, where they come together and then rise out of the pit as the MegaZord

That's it, though. Like I said, there isn't much fighting.
>>
>>80783747
Is it true Rita was the ex green ranger? What is Zordon's backstory?
>>
File: powerrangers1995.jpg (92KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
powerrangers1995.jpg
92KB, 400x600px
>>80783747
>The dialogue's crap. Massively exposition-heavy, and it can't make up its mind whether it wants to be serious and cool or fun and cheesy.
So on par with the original then?
>>
>>80783978
The very first scene of the film gives us a "CENOZOIC ERA" across the screen, where we see the red ranger crawling in pain.
He passes the yellow ranger, who dies, and takes her yellow crystal. We then see he is already holding the other three.

He places the five crystals in the ground, and his suit falls away and it's Zordon. The green ranger then approaches, and we discover that she was the one who betrayed them and killed the other rangers. There's a big explosion and that's when we cut to the present day.

>>80784017
I think the original just enjoys being cheesy, no? I don't really remember.
>>
File: 1484605016005.gif (722KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1484605016005.gif
722KB, 245x245px
>>80784017
>White ranger at the front
>Black ranger at the back
>>
>>80783747

>turns out the franchise I enjoyed as a three-year-old doesn't translate well into a feature-length film aimed at demographics capable of forming permanent memories and complex reasoning

Who would've thunk it? It's gonna get 7s from all the critics because it's Diversity Rangers and it has Cranston in it, but it was never going to be anything other than stupid shit for people with infant's brains.
>>
>>80783747
>Billy literally yells "Come at me, bro!"
And he's also an autist. /ourgay/.
>>
>>80784134
I'll be very disappointed if it gets an average critic score of 7.
Any higher than an average score of 5 will be quite annoying.
>>
>>80784053
What's the green suit like ?

The original theme song plays right ? Is it good ?

What's Zordon's secret agenda ?
>>
>>80783747
So do we actually see them morph? Is there a Zedd tease? Is the Megazord fight even worth a damn?
>>
>>80784134
The first Transformers movie translated very well into a feature length film.
The next ones were hit and miss, but the first was an actual good movie.
>>
>>80784219
THIS, for all the hate michael bay gets, the first transformers movie it's pretty decent for a cartoon/toy adaptation.
>>
>>80784195

Green suit was practically similar to the rest of the suits, just green. No armor btw.

Original theme played for a bit when the rangers brought out their Zords together for a few seconds.

I don't remember exactly, but Zordon didn't have faith in Jason and the other rangers, so he wanted to be the Red Ranger himself.
>>
Is there a secret lever to kick goldar in the nuts with the megazord?
>>
>>80784195
>What's the green suit like ?
It's the same as the pink or yellow suits, just green. No gold shield or anything, if that's what you're asking.
She never wears the full green suit in the present day, just in that first scene.

>The original theme song plays right ? Is it good ?
It plays once and it's used fucking horribly. There's no lead-in, it just suddenly blares the chorus for about twelve seconds as they run down a mountain towards the town. It's really poorly handled.
It doesn't even play over the credits; instead, they play The Power (which also played over the end-credits of the 1995 film, so I guess it was kinda a cute nod, but still...)

>What's Zordon's secret agenda ?
He wants the rangers to access their morphing power because within the grid is enough energy to bring one person back to life, and he wants it to be him.

>>80784204
>So do we actually see them morph?
Yes, once, although the editing is a little fucked and it cuts around a lot so you don't get a comprehensive shot of it.

>Is there a Zedd tease?
No. Well, when Rita is defeated, she says "there'll be others", which I guess can refer to Zedd. Not specifically, though.

>Is the Megazord fight even worth a damn?
Not really. The first half of it is them figuring out how to work it and the second half is maybe three punches and a kick.
>>
>>80784304
Is it a good waste of time, or will I stare at my phone as it makes me feel uncomfortable?
>>
>>80783747

the design of the costumes and zords is so bad i don't care of the dialogue and plot is citizen kane
>>
>>80784195
Zordon's secret was he needed the rangers to morph so that they could access the morphing grid and allow him to come back and gain a physical body after he was killed by Rita in the opening.

But Rita kills Billy and so Zordon gives up his only chance to come back so that Billy can come back to life instead.
>>
>>80784219
I agree, I thought the first Transformers film was a solid 7/10. I really enjoyed the BTS of how they made every single component of the car fit somewhere on the transformed shape so it was as "realistic" as possible.

>>80784315
No. Kimberly does, however, defeat a putty with a nut-kick.

>>80784373
I wouldn't recommend paying money to see it.

>>80784383
I didn't hate the male costumes. The Zords aren't great, the Megazord is awful.

>>80784394
Spoiler tags, friend. Ctrl+S.
>>
>>80784365
Whoa, whoa wait a minute, not even a fucking power sword finisher? Well of course this is going to be trash then. Dont get me wrong, I expected nothing and the only fondness I have is from nostalgia, but even I know that if you fuck up the Megazord fight, you've fucked up
>>
>>80784446
Fuck that. You fuckers spoiled The Force Awakens for me. Anyone who gets spoiled by what I posted is just me paying it back.
>>
>>80784492
Nice autism dude
>>
>>80784454
>Whoa, whoa wait a minute, not even a fucking power sword finisher?
Oh, sorry. At the end of the fight, when Goldar is lying, defeated on the ground, the Megazord does pull not one, but two swords from its back, and execute Goldar.

>>80784492
>Fuck that. You fuckers spoiled The Force Awakens for me.
Well, I didn't. I used spoiler tags. Because those are the rules of the board. You can find the rules here https://www.4chan.org/rules#tv
>>
>>80784219

It wasn't really a particularly good movie, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been and it had some good moments. It also had John Turturro in it, which usually elevates anything by a few notches. Lastly, it was directed by Michael Bay, who is vastly underrated by people who think they're too smart to enjoy blockbusters.

Even with all that meat on it's bones, it was a skinny 6/10 at best.

Power Rangers has a cast primarily made up of young, attractive literally whos, which all but guarantees that they can't act and aren't funny. The director's most recent and only feature film was a mediocre, teenaged Primer rip-off. Cranston is no Turturro, and Banks isn't going to be enough to save it.

There is no way this isn't a shit movie.
>>
>>80784504
>Revenge = autism

Nice strawman bro.
>>
File: 1489520140455.gif (927KB, 250x230px) Image search: [Google]
1489520140455.gif
927KB, 250x230px
>>80783747
>an empty seat in the detention class with a green jacket slung over it, while the teacher on detention duty asks where Tommy Oliver, the new student, is.
>>
>>80784525
>the irony of misusing a term while critiquing another's misuse of a term
>>
>>80784515
That still doesnt sound like the same fun as an over the top finishing move, more like a sad end to a fight that falls flat.
>>
>>80784373
>looking at your phone in the cinema
RREEEEEEEE
>>
>>80784628
Well, at one point (I think after the punches but before the kick? or maybe it was after the kick), the Megazord performs a suplex-type-thing against Goldar.
I wouldn't call it over-the-top, though; it was just dumb.
>>
Goldar has no personality, and Rita doesn't have henchmen, right ?
>>
>>80784814
>Goldar has no personality, right?
He has no dialogue, but I wouldn't say he has NO personality. He seems concerned when Rita gets injured, and stops fighting to make sure she's okay, tenderly helps her get to her feet. That's pretty much the only thing he does besides fight the Zords, though.

>Rita doesn't have henchmen, right ?
Just Goldar and the putties.
>>
>>80784589
Hey, you never know, this film could make bank in China and Korea and then get sequel bought. I never thought Transformers would make it past 2 movies, but we're approaching 5? 6? I lost count.
>>
>>80784900
I think the trailers we're seeing now are for the fifth.
>>
>watching Power Rangers instead of Super Sentai master race

Americans really have shit taste.
>>
>>80785065
I'm Australian, and I watched Zyuranger when I was younger.
>>
If I only liked the first 3 seasons of the show, would I like the movie?
>>
>>80785155
OP here. I only watched the first two seasons of the show and the first movie.
>>
>>80785253
Eh, I'll watch it eventually anyway.

I found it kind of funny though, when Twitch played the series, I stopped watching where I did when it actually aired. Right towards the end of S3.
>>
>>80785337
Shame. You're missing out on a few good series. SPD right now for example.
>>
>>80785155
I liked MMPR and the first movie and this movie is awful.

It was made for retards that watched a couple of episodes in the '90s and now they think they are 'such a nerd xD' but are too afraid to tell their friends they are going to watch a movie about people fighting on spandex so the producers/writers/whoever changed basically everything to cater to them.
>>
>>80783747
>Just got back from this one.
>Well, it ain't great.
>Some cool fight choreography, but very, very little of it. There's only one hand-to-hand fight between the rangers and some putties (two if you count a brief underwater skirmish that leads to the fight on land), and then one fight between the Zords and some putties, then the Zords and Goldar, then the MegaZord and a Rita-infused Goldar.
>The dialogue's crap. Massively exposition-heavy, and it can't make up its mind whether it wants to be serious and cool or fun and cheesy. At one point Billy literally yells "Come at me, bro!" to Goldar.
>The actors playing the rangers are all taking their roles very seriously, Banks and Cranston seem to be hamming it up and having fun with it. Again, either approach works, but they clash horribly when the performers aren't all on the same page.
>Also, yes, Trini is a lesbian and Billy is autistic. No, I mean literally autistic.
>The final fight ends with the Megazord literally backhanding Rita into orbit, and a mid-credits scene shows an empty seat in the detention class with a green jacket slung over it, while the teacher on detention duty asks where Tommy Oliver, the new student, is.
>There's also allegedly a cameo of Jason David Frank (original green/white ranger) and Amy Jo Johnson (original pink ranger) together but I must've missed it. I think, in hindsight, they may have played a married couple in a jewellery store, but I mustn't have noticed it was them.
>Would probably go a 4/10.

I guess you could say the same for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4&t=5s
>>
Saw it as well, and OP is pretty much spot-on. It's a complete mess.

>tone goes from wanting to be Chronicle to trying to be a modern take on MMPR and back again
>Rita starts out as basically being Enchantress from Suicide Squad and trying so hard to make her creepy to the hammy witch, Banks clearly was having fun at the hammy bits
>no action until the last half hour
>They at least try to develop Jason, Billy and Kim but Zac and Trini are basically afterthoughts
>action scenes were fun but Megazord was a letdown though
>>
>>80785065

Jetman is my favorite
>>
>>80786383
I don't get it.
>>
>>80783747
It sounds ok for a Power Ranger movie...i mean have you people actually watched that show?
>>
>just got back from this one
>2-4 am in the US

... when shills are obvious...
>>
>>80787509
muh nostalgia
>>
>>80787517
>>8078374
23:47:557

~12AM CST

Why are paranoid conspiracyfags always so dumb?
>>
>>80787509
see >>80785253

>>80787517
I'm in Australia. It's currently 6.27pm here, I saw a 1pm session and posted this thread at 3.47pm. Came out today.
>>
I went in expecting to be disappointed and left think it was fun. I dont give a shit about the cannon or anything so it was easy to enjoy. The zord fights fucking sucked though
>>
>>80787517
>4/10
>shill
>>
>>80783747

I had basically the opposite reaction.

I thought the actors all gave pretty good performances that were able to have serious and funny moments without undermining either one. They even managed to get in an arc for Zordon which is pretty surprising considering he barely has a character on the show.

Action is for the most part all at the end, but I was fine with it. Its set up early that they wont be able to morph unless they can work as a team, and they end up having to work through being fuckup teenagers before the big battleAnd in the coarse of being fuckup teenagers they accidently get someone killed

The actions alright to good and has a few fun moments in it. The suits and megazord designs are kinda dumb but they work well enough in motion.

For me it was something like a 7/10 if we're doing scores.
>>
$105 million production budget

%48 RT score

Chinese aren't interested in a action movie with teenagers aimed at teenagers

This will bomb
>>
File: 1446428289951.jpg (9KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1446428289951.jpg
9KB, 125x125px
Just got back from a midnight viewing. My friends were sperging out and we left about 50 minutes in. We got burgers and just went home. It felt like a knockoff Transformers movie. The CGI looks so damn awful.
>>
might be the wrong thread for this but was just reading Ebert's old review for the original flick and came across this gem

>Paging through the movie's press kit, I came across this quote attributed to Amy Jo Johnson, who plays Kimberly, the Pink Power Ranger: " `Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie' is a mix between `Star Wars' and `The Wizard of Oz.' " I wonder if Amy Jo actually said "TM" when she was delivering that wonderfully fresh and spontaneous quote, which is so much more involved than anything she says in the movie. More to the point, I wonder if she has ever seen "Star Wars" or "The Wizard of Oz."

died laughing.
>>
>>80784053

that kind of makes sense if they're planning a ton of movies though and rita gives tommy the green powers
>>
>>80789390
Yeah, as I mentioned in the OP, the mid-credits scene shows an empty seat in the detention class with a green jacket slung over it, while the teacher on detention duty asks where Tommy Oliver, the new student, is.

Rita also uses the green power coin as the headpiece of her staff throughout the film.
>>
sounds shit.

btw i watched turbo movie the other day and it was pretty much what i wanted from a power rangers movie. dudes dressed up in suits and it looks relatively high budget, rangers do the morphin scene and zord scene and then wreck the bad guy and win.
>>
why does this movie exist?

to cash in on the nostalgia meme?

this isn't how you do it...
>>
>>80789671

pretty much except it has very little to do with the power rangers people know and love. cranston and banks are the only ones who realise its a power rangers movie.

the movie was doomed as soon as it was CGI and not dudes in cardboard costumes wailing on each other.
>>
>>80789671
It's that same old mistake where studios think they'll make more money if they try to find a happy medium between aiming the film at nostalgiafags and aiming it at the new generation.
The best films are those which pick their demographic and stick to their guns. Films like this just flounder because they don't know what they want to be.
>>
>>80790074
why did they make Trini gay? she had a boyfriend in the series.
they should've made Billy gay. he never had a girlfriend in the series and the actor was gay. would've been a nice little tribute to Yost instead of a fuck you to the canon.
>>
>>80783747
All that talk from Landis about the original tone is pretty dead on.

First half feels like Chronicle and then it goes full ham.

Cheesy fights, quips and Banks Rita being more over the top than a Marvel villain.
>>
>>80789334
>I wonder if she has ever seen "Star Wars" or "The Wizard of Oz."
Jeez what a pseud
>>
File: Black-Ranger-Zack-Taylor.jpg (58KB, 500x690px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Ranger-Zack-Taylor.jpg
58KB, 500x690px
>>80784084
Yes, basic tactics.
You put you long range heavy guns in the back to provide fire support. Or would you rather put your saber welder behind you gun user.
>>
>>80790113
>they should've made Billy gay. he never had a girlfriend in the series

He got married to some alien ranger lady in the show, didn't he?

>why did they make Trini gay? she had a boyfriend in the series.

Probably to distance themselves from the original Trini. Partially a result of her actress' untimely passing.
>>
Just watched the movie too and after that power rangers marathon which I had a lot more fun with, I feel like they tried to make it like Chronicle but was embarrassed about the actual power rangers stuff that they tried to play it down and instead became a mish mash that isn't very good either way.
>>
>>80790415
I almost fell asleep 2/3 into the movie. I have no idea who's bright idea was to produce a Power rangers movie that has so little going on for the 1st 90 min or so.
>>
>>80790245
I was shocked when I saw that Landis wasn't being credited as a writer any longer; the first half of the movie is basically Chronicle. Crazy.

>>80790329
>He got married to some alien ranger lady in the show, didn't he?
Dunno. Certainly not in the first two series, which is all that I watched.
>>
>>80783747
so this is why James Rolf has been shilling Power Rangers so much. lol
>>
>>80790848

did you miss his Kong retrospective too?
>>
Just got back.

The movie needed way more fighting and it would have been kino.

Actually surprisingly decent acting from everyone but Trini.
>>
>>80790913

How was Banks, did she do any eyerolls?
>>
>>80784134
>turns out the franchise I enjoyed as a three-year-old doesn't translate well into a feature-length film aimed at demographics capable of forming permanent memories and complex reasoning
Nice meme, but it is pretty evident you aren't capable of permanent memories and complex reasoning.
Power Rangers has come a long way, and its progenitor Super Sentai has always been a solid action series for younger audiences. If we can take things like Star Wars and capeshit seriously, there's no real difference between all that and Power Rangers, really. All they had to do was to make a solid superhero flick with giant fucking robots and good action. I think everybody would've walked out happy if it was really just a Pacific Rim with five guys piloting the robot instead of two. It's Lionsgate trying to catch YA Twilight/Bayformers audience that's utterly baffling and makes the movie shit. Like, who the fuck wants to watch some melodrama about autistic teenagers when they go see Power fucking Rangers? WHOOOOO
>>
The film would have been dramatically improved if they had just included a few decent fight scenes earlier in the film. As the movie stands its 90 minutes of teen drama and 20 min of Power Rangers.
>>
>>80790866
yeah mate, I was just surprised because I didn't knew about this movie.
>>
>>80790961
She obviously didn't take it very seriously. Was pretty much as Rita as you get. The start of the movie Rita is like a horror movie character.

The movie would have been x5 better if they had fights to break up the fucking romantic teen angst bullshit.
>>
>>80790961
She was easily the best thing about the movie. She seemed to be the only person aware of the fact that they were in a Power Rangers movie.
>>
>>80783747
>Well, it ain't great.
it was cringe already when i was a kid. Why do you faggots liked it in the first place is going over my head
>>
>>80790961
Eh. She was basically Rita from the series. Maybe pulled back SLIGHTLY, but she and Cranston really hammed up their roles and had fun with it. Think Paul Giamatti in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

>>80791139
Well, what age are you referring to by "kid"? You develop a lot between the ages of two and thirteen, and I'd call anyone within that age range a kid, though their tastes in television would be hugely different.
I enjoyed MMPR between the ages of two and five. I think that's entirely reasonable. It was what I wanted to be when I grew up and went to school.
>>
I reckon Banks is the only one acting like she was in a Power Rangers movie, but does she at any point of the movie wear anything that resembles Rita's costume in the show?

Also, any acttually cool looking monsters? I know the putties are supposed to look generic and faceless, but it pissess me off that in the trailer Goldar is so plain looking and featureless. Does he look any different while not a giant?
>>
>>80791243
She is in the green suit you see in the trailers for the entire film more or less.
>>
>>80791243
There isn't no Goldar giant. Rita is in like 10% of the film.

I think the movie is setting up for some good sequels, though. It's one of those movies meant to be viewed in a trilogy I think.
>>
>>80791243
>Also, any actually cool looking monsters?
She has no other henchmen in the film outside of Goldar and the putties.
>>
>>80791292
>There isn't no Goldar giant.

Uh? So that thing in the trailer isn't Goldar?
>>
>>80791243
>does she at any point of the movie wear anything that resembles Rita's costume in the show?
She wears a full green ranger uniform in the first scene, and then that bastardized version of it you see in the trailers for the rest of the film.

>>80791243
>any acttually cool looking monsters
Goldar looks kinda cool. And he's always a giant.

>>80791292
I highly doubt it'll get a sequel.
>>
I heard the new actor who plays Tommy gets introduced at the end, dis true?
>>
>>80791243
>but does she at any point of the movie wear anything that resembles Rita's costume in the show?

No and that's the one thing I liked, they actually gave Rita a unique design and made her her own character rather than a rebranded Bandora, plus it'd be weird without the other Wizard of Oz aesthetics.
>>
>>80791324
It's Goldar. Not sure what that other anon is trying to say.

>>80791332
No, it's an empty chair with a green jacket slung over it. They mustn't have cast him yet.
>>
>>80791292
>sequels
>100+ million dollar production.
Do you honestly believe this film will make enough to justify more films?
>>
>>80791332
no actor, just a reference to tommy
>>
>>80791332
Its just an empty seat in the classroom and Tommy's name called during roll call.
>>
Pissed Pedro is going to sperg so bad about this movie, it's going to be glorious.
>>
Kinda weak that Goldar didn't have any dialogue.

There will be a sequel with Zedd and Green Ranger as the villains, mark my words.
>>
>>80791369
Yes.
>>
>>80784084
Adam was the black ranger in this.
Still, he's Asian
>>
>>80791369
There will be a sequel; this movie will make atleast 500M, wouldn't be surprised if it makes over 650M.
>>
>>80791324
I meant there is no regular Goldar. My bad.
>>
What bothers me is this one plot hole.
The movie starts with Rita winning, defeating a team of power rangers 65 million years ago.

Then she apparently decided to just do nothing for 65 million years until a new set of power rangers who can defeat her show up and she just wakes up for no particular reason.

The main plot sets off from two seperate incidents. The rangers obtaining powers and rita awakening trying to create a monster out of gold to destroy the earth. But neither of these events are connected and seemingly happen by coincidence. This wouldn't be a problem if Rita had been imprisoned and somehow freed which in turn caused the rangers to obtain powers OR if the rangers obtained powers and somehow accidentally freed Rita in doing so. But instead there is just two separate and unrelated events happening simultaneous by mere coincidence.

This wouldn't be a big problem if there were at least some kind of explanation as to why Rita defeated all her fellow rangers to claim their power, destroyed the world wiping out the dinosaurs but then decided to just do nothing for 65 million years. She wasn't imprisoned or anything, she was just sleeping in the ocean until some fishermen fished her out of the ocean....
>>
>>80784685
>watching Power Rangers in the cinema
REEEEEE
>>
>>80787639
The character development was fairly good. There was a couple of minor problems.. like yellow being a super edgy stereotype and how they never mentioned her last name because she and her family are mexicans instead of koreans or whatever and how Billy seemed to drop the whole autism thing on occasion to provide one liners as a comic relief and how black's entire character was almost non-existent other than "my mother is terminally ill".

But it was fine. Better than I expected in fact.
>>
Did they ship Kim and Jason in the movie or did they hold it off so it doesn't look like Tommy cucks him in the the sequel?
>>
cameos?
>>
Why did they give Billy autism? He's supposed to be the smartest ranger in the group by far.
>>
>>80791730
>duurrr autists are clever
he isnt really autist like, but "hollywood autist"
>>
>>80791669
>>80791710
Old Kimberly and Tommy. They are bystanders who take pics of the megazord on their phones.

>>80784454
The real problem with the Megazord isn't the fight sequence. The problem is the complete lack of a transformation sequence and the generic design. The zords just emerge already as the megazord without showing how they become the megazord. The megazord doesn't even look like the other zords have merged in some way to become it. The megazord is a very boring, very generic design. Considering everything is building to the point where you see the megazord it was quite a let down.
>>
>>80784134
>"[A] calculated, derivative attempt to turn a decades-old piece of junk culture into a new pile of box-office cash. 1/4"

Same guy gave Kong a 4/4 and Logan a 2.5/4. So. About what I expected from reviewers of this movie....
>>
>>80791425
>>80791488
Really don't reckon it'll be enough of a success to warrant a sequel, but only time will tell, I suppose.

>>80791538
>Then she apparently decided to just do nothing for 65 million years
No, she's dead. Or dormant or whatever. She wakes up when she's fished out of the water. You're right, it's a massive coincidence. Wouldn't call it a plot-hole, but it was definitely stupid.

>>80791642
If you look at the credits, all of parents are named Mr. Scott, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Cranston etc... except for Trini's parents, who are "Trini's mom" and "Trini's dad". Hilarious.

>>80791669
It was implied, but they never actually kissed or anything.

>>80791710
Damn, >>80791820 spotted it. I knew they were in the movie but as I said in the OP, I missed it.

>>80791730
Just to further diversify the group, I suppose. And he's still the smartest in the movie.

>>80791820
Agreed with the Megazord analysis.

>>80791862
I gave Kong a 3.5/5 and Logan a 4/5, if that gives you an idea of how much to respect my 2/5 for Power Rangers.
>>
>>80790251
How can someone be a pseudo for defending Star Wars?
>>
>>80791820
>no cool fights
>no megazord combination sequence
Who the fuck is the audience for this shit
How did the head jew let this happen
>>
>>80791730
Billy was the most interesting character but it also didn't really make much sense and he would drop out of the autism thing occasionally.

He's never referred to as autistic he states though that he "is on the spectrum" and doesn't understand jokes. Which is a strange choice because he makes most of the jokes. Also his dad is dead and billy has inherited his dads stuff which is a bunch of tools and tech stuff. Apparently he is good at hacking things and building electronics devices.. Which is fine for a movie like this.

What is kind of odd though is Billy's main hobby in the movie is building bombs and nobody seems to have much of a problem with this. He gets put into detention for bringing a bomb to school. He hangs out at a quarry setting off large explosives and the last footage of the movie is him blowing up his locker at school.

This doesn't seem to raise a red flag with anyone. Everyone is fine with the kid with Asperger's bringing bombs to school and setting off large explosives on private property in his spare time.
>>
>>80791918
>>no cool fights
There's a very brief (maybe thirty seconds) fight underwater that's kinda cool.
>>
>>80791945
>He's never referred to as autistic he states though that he "is on the spectrum"
That means he says he autistic but they don't use the a-word to not hurt autismos' feelings. Welcome to the new world.
>>
>>80791918
>Who the fuck is the audience for this shit
Teens and die hard Power Rangers fans.

>How did the head jew let this happen
Why bother putting real effort in when the current Power Rangers fan base will eat up just about anything Saban shits out?
>>
>>80783747
>Also, yes, Trini is a lesbian and Billy is autistic. No, I mean literally autistic.

Oh I am laffin.
>>
>>80792000
>die hard Power Rangers fans.
But not even they like it lol
>>
>>80791918
The vast majority of the movies is all about character development. If you want a movie about action and fight scenes you could be disappointed but the building of anticipation and hype for the big battle is pretty good.

I wouldn't call it an action movie though.

Mostly this is a movie about a group of misfits coming together to form a team of friends.
>>
File: 1486712105261.jpg (100KB, 910x684px) Image search: [Google]
1486712105261.jpg
100KB, 910x684px
>full grown adults will pay actual money to see this shit and feel no shame about it because muh nostalgia
this generation is fucked
>>
>>80792028
Doesn't mean they wont pay to see it.
>>
>>80792040
>I wouldn't call it an action movie though.
>two car chase sequences with two car wrecks
>cliff-scaling and cliff-jumping
>a 90-minute build-up to a half-hour action sequence

It's definitely an action movie. It's just not a very good one.

>>80792049
In my defense, I was paid to see it.
>>
>>80792040
So it's just a shitty John Hughes ripoff written by idiots who aimed at the wrong fucking target audience.
>>
>>80784814
I still can't get over the fact goldar is just a giant pile of gold goo with a sword. And you know it was entirely some jew producers idea.
>>
>>80792028
I've seen a lot of reviews and the ppl that like the movie are normies who went in expecting it to suck ass and the die hards are mostly meh on it
>>
>>80792040
>The vast majority of the movies is all about character development. If you want a movie about action and fight scenes you could be disappointed
This is just the other extreme though.
Of course action scenes need character and context to really feel good. Unfortunately I can't see myself getting invested into these shitlords, let alone enough to tolerate 90 minutes of their angst.
>>
>>80792157
Max Landis wrote the first draft which was thrown out.
Ironically, the new writers basically just stole Chronicle for the first half of the movie.

It's funny because Landis' original script had the gay chick as the black ranger, and the pink ranger was going to be a dude, and I actually would've preferred to watch that movie.
>>
>>80792013
>>80791985
They never explicitly state that Trini is a lesbian either, though it is heavily implied.

When she first receives her powers she is looking at her phone and there is a message from a girl saying "I miss you". She then accidentally crushes her phone with her super strength. Later the rangers are getting to know each other and she talks about how her family moves around a lot and she doesn't get to know people as a result. Zack asks if she has boy trouble, she yes "yeah boy trouble..." and then Zack says "Girl trouble?" She never states that is the case but goes into a heartfelt speech about how her family are all so normal and she's a black sheep because she's different and how her parents always put labels on things but she doesn't feel like she fits into a label. Or something like that.

A nice touch though is how towards the end her two younger brothers are talking about how cool the power rangers are discussing who is the coolest. Trini asks "what about the yellow ranger?" and they say "he is the coolest!" and she asks "how do you know it's not a girl?" Which was a funny call back to yellow always being a man in the series for fans.
>>
>>80790074
This. How anybody let alone the film studio made this watched it back and said "Damn this is good" is beyond me. But Hollywood shows us time and time again they will fuck up just about any reboot or remake horribly
>>
>>80792217
>When she first receives her powers she is looking at her phone and there is a message from a girl saying "I miss you". She then accidentally crushes her phone with her super strength.
Wait, what? I thought that was Kimberly getting a text message saying "I miss you" from the two girls who bullied her, which is why there's a photo of two girls and then it's followed by the poop emoji. I thought it was just them giving her another little fuck you, which is why she gets annoyed and accidentally crushes the phone.

Everything else you said is how I remember it, though.
>>
>>80792217
>She never states that is the case but goes into a heartfelt speech about how her family are all so normal and she's a black sheep because she's different and how her parents always put labels on things but she doesn't feel like she fits into a label. Or something like that.

WAAAHH WAAAH I'M A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE
LOOK AT ME I CHEW CARPETS
I AM SO MISUNDERSTOOD QQQQ

fuck off Hollywood
>>
>>80790969
Power rangers is the one property where I think a gritty dark tone would work for a reboot.
>>
>>80792193
>Pink ranger is dude
>Only female ranger is black

That shit would've flopped liked Harden going to the hoop
>>
>>80792217
>and then Zack says "Girl trouble?" She never states that is the case but goes into a heartfelt speech about how her family are all so normal and she's a black sheep because she's different and how her parents always put labels on things but she doesn't feel like she fits into a label.

Sweet heavenly Jesus they had no idea what this series was about.
>>
>>80792107
Actually as a modern breakfast club, it works pretty well.

In fact the parallels are staggering.
Jason is the Jock who fucked up.
Kimberly is a Cheerleader who was cyber bullying people.
Billy is the awkward nerd who might blow up the school.
Zach is the school drop out with problems at home.
Trini is the angsty weirdo who nobody really notices.

>>80792157
Trini is the only one who is really full of angst.
>>
>>80792301
I don't think that the black ranger was necessarily the only female. And I meant that she was in the black costume, not that she was African-American.
>>
>>80792254
Come to think of it you could be right.
>>
>>80792028
This. If I was a die hard fan that trailer would have ruined me. No die hard fan is going to this. It 'll be normies saying "dude remember power rangers??that shit was cool"
>>
>>80792311
If I wanted to watch Breakfast Club, I'd watch fucking Breakfast Club.

This is the goddamn power rangers.
>>
>>80792311
>*autistic nerd
>>
>Trying to make PR serious
but why?
>>
>>80792409
The bad thing is it only tries to make it serious half the time. The movie has no idea what it wants to be.
>>
>>80792369
Over half the people in the session when I watched it were asian men in their early 20s in groups of friends. Not the smart kind of asian guys, they were the pop culture consuming male bimbo kind of asian guys.
>>
Is bulk and skull in it
>>
>>80792440
Nope.
>>
>>80792440
Ready to never think about this movie again?

No they fucking aren't.
>>
>>80792440
What do you think?
https://youtu.be/wvNNDQsCBTA
>>
>>80792273
Triggered.
>>
>>80792311
>Zach is the school drop out
>Is a Asian

kino
>>
>>80792440
>Pure comic relief characters in a SUPR SRS adaptation
>>
>>80792409
The only serious part A Power Ranger movie need is on the weapon design and a bit on the FX.

Also I think a serious movie isn't bad, it allow for a different take on the setting like a more grounded RPM.
>>
>>80792440
They will be in the sequel.
>>
>>80792436
In the session I went to, there were only around twenty people in the theatre (around 250 seats), and most were in their early twenties.

Granted, I'm in Australia so that session might not be the greatest representation of the target audience.

>>80792440
No.
>>
>>80792479
I'm triggered when they replace character with mental problems, disabilities or sexuality like we're supposed to care about people just because they're different rather than because of what they do. Literally it's okay when it's LGBTWTFBBQAUTISM
>>
>>80792273
For a site which mocks getting triggered this site loves getting triggered
>>
>>80792471
These guys still put a smile on my face.
>>
>>80792509
I'm in australia too. I went with my wife and kids. I only went because the kids and the wife love the power rangers tv show. We were the only one's with kids.

Everyone else were early twenties. Kids loved it BTW.
>>
>>80792510
Except for the fact that there are already people bitching about the fact that Trini being gay is a "publicity stunt", despite the fact that the only people talking it up have been reviewers, because that's apparently more newsworthy. Lionsgate has made no comment. They asked Becky G about it on the red carpet last night and she pretty much said "It's no big deal" and it's as offhanded a comment as "girlfriend problems". Nothing about her being a lesbian in this movie is her character being replaced for her sexuality.
>>
File: 1489756578504.jpg (570KB, 1269x952px) Image search: [Google]
1489756578504.jpg
570KB, 1269x952px
>>80792440
Sadly no
>>
>>80792551
Didn't they become cool guys in the show as well
>>
>>80792590
They really stepped up at the end of In Space.
>>
>>80792580
Yeah because she has no character.
>>
>>80792495
The problem is that you can't make a serious movie about saving the entire damned planet on a daily basis and also make it about the issues of being a teenager.
It never works and it will never work. When billions of lives are in your hands and you're killing bigass aliens with a giant robot, prom just doesn't seem to be the earth-shattering deal it used to be. At least it shouldn't.

Mighty Morphin was aware of this incongruousness and poured on the camp. These guys unironically fucking attempted to mix oil and water, and got a tonal mess.

I haven't seen something with this much of an identity crisis since David Yost tried to pray the gay away.
>>
File: OK.jpg (67KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
OK.jpg
67KB, 900x900px
>>80792622
>>
>>80792622
Being a hot weirdo is her character.
>>
>>80792632
>tonal mess.
Perfectly describes how I felt through the entire film.
>>
>>80792622
Her character is "OMG you don't even know me!"
>>
>>80792632
>The problem is that you can't make a serious movie about saving the entire damned planet on a daily basis and also make it about the issues of being a teenager.
I mean the Spider-Man films weren't perfect but they struck a balance of High School vs saving New York pretty decently, I thought. Certainly better than this movie did.
>>
>>80792632
>The problem is that you can't make a serious movie about saving the entire damned planet on a daily basis and also make it about the issues of being a teenager.

Sure you can. Best comic books and programs have been doing this for an entire century. Yeah it's very easy to make shlock like this or to drive too much into camp, but that's the thing here isn't it? This movie doesn't do a good job.
>>
>>80792710
>I mean the Spider-Man films weren't perfect but they struck a balance of High School vs saving New York pretty decently

I agree, but it's almost entirely because Sam Raimi is exceptionally good at using that same campiness to his advantage. Even at its most dramatic it didn't feel as serious.
He was also smart to put only the first movie in a high-school setting, and to make sure the main characters were on their way to college.
By the time Uncle Ben died the pressures of high school and teenage woes actually did stop mattering to Peter. Raimi didn't put that at the forefront. The dangers Norman Osborne presented were far more important.
>>
>>80792761
I wasn't talking about comic books and TV shows, which tend to be approached with tongue firmly in cheek by default.

I was talking about motion pictures that played a silly situation completely straight.
>>
>>80792710
>>80792761
Pretty much what I was thinking. It's the fact that these kids are doing what they do that makes the gravity of everything that they're doing as normal teenagers heavier. You'll have thousands of memories about saving the world, but you really only get that one prom.
>>
>>80792821
>>80792875
It's also worth mentioning that in the first couple seasons of Power Rangers (not sure about later on when they start going to space and shit, I only ever watched up the first movie in 1995), the world was never at stake. It was always just Angel Grove, or in some cases, "First, Angel Grove. Then, the universe!".

The stakes in this film are the fate of the entire planet, immediately. There's no way to go up from there. They blew their wad too early, and they handled it poorly as shit.
>>
>>80792875
>You'll have thousands of memories about saving the world, but you really only get that one prom.

Can't agree with that. People like this don't really fall under societal norm anymore. Their experiences are too unique and the risks they've taken outdo anything their peers have undergone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3oXr7XVuhc

The epilogue in Return of the King symbolized this change in character. The four hobbits are sitting at the same bar they'd been sitting in for years, but it all feels incredibly different. They look around silently and they know they aren't really a part of that culture anymore.
>>
File: 26537-3537-29460-1-miracleman.jpg (54KB, 418x640px) Image search: [Google]
26537-3537-29460-1-miracleman.jpg
54KB, 418x640px
>>80792938
Exactly. The took a modern-age approach to a silver-age series.

That shit needs to be goofy and cartoonish in order to work. If you're gonna make it serious, you can't half-ass it.

Alan Moore's Miracleman is a good example. He made sure every facet of the character and his story had dramatic weight, even to the point where he turned the hero's goofy golden-age adventures into psychological horror.
Like or hate it, it undeniably worked because he didn't let up. He picked a serious tone and stuck with it largely without exception.
>>
>>80786715
>basically being Enchantress from Suicide Squad and trying so hard to make her creepy
why are so many films knocking off her aesthetic now? Had the ghost from that shitty lights out flick, the villain in the upcoming mummy and now rita fucking repulsa
>>
>no megazord transformation sequence
DROPPED
>>
File: 1489480422501.png (237KB, 658x438px) Image search: [Google]
1489480422501.png
237KB, 658x438px
>>80783747
>a mid-credits scene shows an empty seat in the detention class with a green jacket slung over it, while the teacher on detention duty asks where Tommy Oliver, the new student, is.
They think they're going to earn enough oney to ger a sequel.
>>
>>80793556
How the fuck does that work?
Do the zords just fucking hide from the bad guy and then suckerpunch it as the megazord?
>>
>>80792972
I had always seen that as them finally feeling like they've become Men. They left home and went on this great undertaking only for them to come back and realize that they're probably never going to do anything like that ever again and may not even see each other as much as they used to. A couple seconds later. Sam sees the woman that will be his wife. He's not afraid of anything anymore, he goes for it and cut to the wedding. Then, we have the total death allegory at the end with Frodo running off with Gandalf and Bilbo to the Grey Heavens. Leaving Sam behind with nothing but the book of their memories.

I always felt that despite the fact that in a way their lives started when they made that Journey. It never really started until they got back home.
>>
>>80793658
Goldar pushes them down into a pit after heavily damaging their Zords, so the smoke from the damaged Zords obscures everything as you hear everything whirring and clanging together (and you see a couple of pieces sort of screwing into place but the smoke massively obscures it). Then the Megazord rises out of the pit similar to how the standard Zords do in the original show.
>>
>>80793658
from an earlier post

>During the big Zords v Goldar fight, he kicks their asses, severely damaging their Zords and pushing them into a pit, where they come together and then rise out of the pit as the MegaZord
>>
>>80793658
They fall in a ditch then after a few seconds it rises, still finishing the combination.

Then the thing suplexes Goldar.
>>
Why are the zords so ugly looking?

Hollywood should know by now that China at the very least loves cool looking robots and this is why Pacific Rim and Transformers at the very least did well because of this. Why not make a badass Megazord that looks japanese and not a gray man wearing a suit in this movie.
>>
>>80793692
Exactly. They came of age and it really showed. The adolescent anxieties and worries were gone, as illustrated thorugh Sam's confidence in approaching Rosie. I absolutely loved that scene.
>>
File: suicide watch.png (19KB, 826x392px) Image search: [Google]
suicide watch.png
19KB, 826x392px
>>80793713
>>80793717
>>80793733

Who the fuck would consider that a good idea?
>>
>>80793872
Looked cool though
>>
>>80793897
I'm pretty sure watching it visibly transform would've been way cooler than a CGI dustcloud.
>>
>>80793918
Yeah but it was cool coming out of that dustcloud. Reminded me of the original Megazord coming out of the smoke.
>>
>>80793918
Didin't see the movie but sometime wondering what is happening behind a cloud make it more impressive when it come out than seing the full thing changing in front of you.
>>
im literally not even going to watch this when it comes out on tv, jesus fucking christ this sounds and looks bad
>>
>>80794033
you can't even?
>>
>>80794080
i can not even
>>
All I need to know is, is there a fight scene where the red ranger shouts "ITS MORPHIN TIME!" and then they all transform in unison and beat everyone up? Cause if not I'm not paying money for this garbage.
>>
>>80794864
The red ranger says "It's Morphin' Time" once, as they step onto glowing platforms and morph. They then all go and fight, yes. This is the only time they morph.
>>
>>80789334
DANGIT BOBBEH
>>
>>80794944
They only morph once? And they can only do it on those platforms? What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
Is It true Jason's backstory includes accidentally jerking off a bull?
>>
>>80792471
These guys are great.
>>
>>80795461
They only morph once except for Billy, who morphs twice. It's implied that they can only morph on the platforms, but the first time Billy morphs he's not on one. It's weird.

>>80795499
No, he has a friend in the first scene (who we never see again) that helps him sneak a bull into a locker room as a prank on a rival football team. That friend accidentally jerks off the bull.
>>
File: laughing_duck.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_duck.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>80791945
>Everyone is fine with the kid with Asperger's bringing bombs to school
>>
>>80791329
>I highly doubt it'll get a sequel.
Yeah, it'll get FIVE sequels.

http://screenrant.com/power-rangers-movie-sequels-scripts/
>>
>>80795677
Ha. No chance.
>>
>>80784365
>>Is there a Zedd tease?
No. Well, when Rita is defeated, she says "there'll be others", which I guess can refer to Zedd. Not specifically, though

Way to fuck it up, Zedd showing up wpuld had created maximun levels of hype for the sequel
>>
>>80795768
The only hype they really try to drum up at all is the mid-credits scene with Tommy Oliver's name being mentioned.
>>
>>80795698
I remember fags like you saying the same shit about Transformers in 2007
>>
>>80795827
No one gives a damn my dude, zedd was supposed to be the thanos of this universe.

Still, they will find a way to fuck him up
>>
>>80795840
I actually didn't mind the first Transfomers. Putting aside implementation, the film was more ambitious to begin with.
>>
>>80795698
Why do you think so? As long as it's a moderate success (which it is looking like it will be), they'll probably milk it for a while. I mean, they've been milking Power Rangers for over two decades now.
>>
>>80795924
>As long as it's a moderate success (which it is looking like it will be)
Based on what? I've seen no numbers, I'm just going off my own experience watching the movie.
Milking a television show is very different from milking a $100mil-budget-per-film series.
>>
>>80795954
>Based on what?
Projections based on early numbers are saying it's going to have an opening of $30m in the US, which is pretty good, especially considering it's up against Beauty and the Beast.

You not liking the movie doesn't mean it'll do bad in the box office.

And television shows cost money to make as well.
>>
>>80796205
Okay, the projections are fair. I guess time will tell.

I refuse to believe you actually think television shows are anywhere near as hard to keep on the air as a film franchise is to keep in cinemas, though.
>>
man i dont know why the original red couldnt cameo
>>
how many times does alpha 5 say AYAYAY?
>>
>>80795889
>No one gives a damn my dude, zedd was supposed to be the Thanos of this universe.

Until Ivan Ooze appeared.
>>
Is there seriously no stinger scene with Lord Zedd, or Tommy Oliver?
>>
>>80789696
This. PR has a pretty unique identity as an American kids show with a Sentai aesthetic. They should have taken that and run with it. This movie just looks so goddamn generic.
>>
>>80797889
>>
>>80785065

>critiques others
>Posts WORST SIXTH IN YEARS

seems like the one with the shit taste, is you.
>>
>>80799871
Lie

Twice or thrice
>>
File: 141234.jpg (134KB, 732x314px) Image search: [Google]
141234.jpg
134KB, 732x314px
>>80799752
Time to adapt Go-Busters, call the old gen and make it more tacticool.
>>
>>80795840
>>80795899
I posted many criticisms in this thread earlier and in my opinion this movie is as good or better than Transformers.

>>80797889
Almost certain it is 3 times in total.
>>
>>80799280
There is a mid credits Tommy green ranger teaser.
>>
>>80800323
I forgot that this was a thing.
>>
>>80797445
too fat.
>>
https://youtu.be/yWgDbZ8_tXE
Thread posts: 227
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.