[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why no good movies set in the middle ages are made anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Why no good movies set in the middle ages are made anymore?
>>
>>80759127
Because normies want to see dragon and wizards throwing fireballs.
>>
>>80759471
this. also "will it make money"

but yeah OP, I too am very frustrated by this.
>>
>>80759127
Hollywood goes for profit, and that means making movies that will be sure fire successes.
>>
>>80759471
Why no good movies set in fantasy world with dragons and wizards throwing fireballs are made anymore?
>>
>>80760195
Warcraft was good
>>
File: King theoden of poland.jpg (22KB, 304x396px) Image search: [Google]
King theoden of poland.jpg
22KB, 304x396px
>>80760195
Well I mean there's Game of Thrones.

But let's be honest here, the reason that medieval movies in general aren't made all that often is because there's not really much you can say with them- they all seem to end up looking like the same stuff.
>King Arthur? Eh, we've done him before.
Plus, if you wanted to branch out and do something 'original' with the material and say, make a movie about a Czech Duke during the 1200's, who's really going to watch that? What's the audience? It won't sell well because people aren't going o watch something they're unfamiliar with.

Also, most medieval movies are just bad. Poor script, lazy action scenes, slow/ nonsensical/ boring story etc. It can be hard making a good medieval movie. Plus, when a medieval themed movie does come out, and it turns out to be good or great like LOTR, Excalibur, etc., then people will just rave on about them and won't really care about whatever comes next, or worse, they'll accuse newer movies of copying off of the more critically acclaimed/ financially successful medieval movies just because they have elves or dwarves or a mystical land or some shit like that in it.

So, in sum;
>medieval themed movies suffer from limited source material
>there's often little interest for anything that could be new or innovative in the genre
>It's a financial risk for studios
>the high saturation of mediocre films turns off anyone from making another entry
>It's so influenced by the big stories such as LOTR, Game of Thrones and King Arthur that the films will struggle to be successful let alone stand out
>>
>>80760524
>>Well I mean there's Game of Thrones.
True. But its a rarity to get something like this. The issue is that the whole genre is a rarity, even if a gem shows up every now and then.

>>King Arthur? Eh, we've done him before.
Doesnt have to be from a legend though! Look at Black Death for example - set in a historical time, the rest is completely fiction. Medieval just means "set in a time period..." Doesnt have to be the same stories told over and over.

>>Also, most medieval movies are just bad
I agree! But they dont have to be! You named exactly the complaints we all have about these movies. I think what OP is talking about (and what I want too) is just more QUALITY medieval movies.
>>
>>80759127
watch Vikings or Last Kingdom instead
>>
because they're all the fucking same and its been don a million times already
>>
>>80762850
this is the part I dont get. there are lots of medieval movies that arent King Arthur. when you say its been done a million times, what exactly has been done a million times? Remakes of legends? yes! you're right! but what about the "genre" confines it to that? literally nothing. this makes so little sense its like saying "oh every movie set in the 70s was all about watergate" like.. why?? what about being set in some specific time period makes something confined to one or two events in that time period? literally nothing.
I think what's happening is people are confusing genre tropes with actual possibilities. the tropes killed it by making a time period associated with shitty movies... which is a real shame, since like I said, there's nothing here that ACTUALLY confines good movies from being made set in medieval times.
>>
>>80763282
>what about being set in some specific time period makes something confined to one or two events in that time period?

the american public generally isnt going to give a shit about any medieval stories outside of the british isles and the crusades so hollywood studios actually are limited in what they can make.
>>
>>80759471
pretty sure thats a crash bandicoot level.
>>
>>80759127
because it forces them to show christianity
>>
13th warrior was pretty cool
>>
We there are high profile TV series about Vikings, Gladiators, Cowboys, Pirates and Knights.

Idunno they could make one about crusades but Kingdom Of Heaven had it covered pretty well. Also Vikings covers some of the middle ages knights.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.