[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is LoveCraft simply too scary to adapt?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 54

File: cthulhu-art.jpg (63KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu-art.jpg
63KB, 600x471px
Is LoveCraft simply too scary to adapt?
>>
no
the inadaptability of lovecraft is a complete meme
>>
more like too stupid
>>
>>80749744
He was pretty racist, that would catch up to any adaptations of his work
>>
The good part about Lovecraft is it stirs up the imagination. Depictions tend to leave nothing to the imagination, and when you try you get something like Cloverfield
>>
>>80749813
you can say that about every movie adaptation of literature though, lord of the rings for instance
>>
>>80749744
Nah, there's just not really much too Lovecraft.

Some "wop dago" (his words not mine) cult summons some interdimensional evil entity, chaos ensues. That's it. There's usually not a real ending or too much of a plot.

He sort of founded a genre though, one of malevolent sci fi space/interdimensional ancient entities being summoned forth by cults..... who're always some type of foreigners, never white Americans.

Really, it's not great literature and it hasn't aged well. I've read dozens of his stories a few complete compediums. I'm not sure why, I thought it was overrated.

It's probably because so many other artists, musicians, and other writers I respect cite him as an influence.

Literature has come a long way since the days of Lovecraft. There's a lot more plot going on and pacing is much better. The writers from 100 years ago like Lovecraft or Poe could easily go 20 pages just describing the backdrop..... back then, before tv, when all you did is farm all day, you had a lot more patience for that kind of shit. Even a slow book was moving much faster than your life.
>>
>>80749947
i would disagree, i think lovecraft has aged fantastically at least insofar as he broke new ground with his very materialist vision of ancient aliens being worshiped as gods by primitive man, decades before that infiltrated the mainstream, and his throwing anthropomorphism out the window and denying that mankind has any special place in the universe, he was basically writing from a 21st century worldview in the early 20th century, insofar I think he has aged very well because his philisophy has become more relevant with time rather than less
>>
File: birth.jpg (14KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
birth.jpg
14KB, 400x301px
>>80749947
what' the best work inspired by him then?
>>
>>80750072
>anthropomorphism
i meant anthropocentrism
>>
File: 1459454706007s.jpg (8KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
1459454706007s.jpg
8KB, 250x201px
>>80749947
>he hasn't read The Lurker on the Threshold or At the Mountains of Madness
>>
>>80749832
Contrary to popular believe, many who enjoyed the literature did not enjoy it being seen on screen
>>
>>80750080
Bloodborne
>>
>>80750132
I like both but for different reasons since I'm not an autistic fedoralord, the movies are mediocre adaptations but they stand alone as decent movies.
>>
>>80749744
>Lovecraft

Back to Plebbit please
>>
>>80750132
>popular believe

illiterate baboon
>>
>>80749744
No, it's too difficult to adapt because in the stories the mere sight of the creatures drove people insane. There's literally no special effects that can compete with the horror of one's own imagination so you either disappoint fans with lame creatures or you keep them entirely off-screen at which point you might as well not even bother making a movie.
>>
>>80749947
>He sort of founded a genre though, one of malevolent sci fi space/interdimensional ancient entities being summoned forth by cults..... who're always some type of foreigners, never white Americans.

Think about America during that time

When would Americans have the time to create a cult to summon a nonexistent god that would have no sensible starting point because America had just started?
>>
>>80749813
>leave nothing to the imagination

translation: writer is too lazy or too untalented so he pretends it was intentionally written that way to leave it to reader's/viewer's imagination.
>>
>>80749947
Sounds like twilight and harry potter is more your speed faggot
>>
>>80750612
>waaah it can't be done nobody can do it

says the below-average wannabe filmmaker
>>
>>80750764
> waaah I have no actual rebuttal so I'll just spew insults

says the retarded wannabe shitposter
>>
>>80749744
No, but it was done by someone who was WOKE and didn't like niggers. Sorry but adapting it for the average nignig would be promoting racism.
>>
>>80749947
>Literature has come a long way since the days of Lovecraft. There's a lot more plot going on and pacing is much better. The writers from 100 years ago like Lovecraft or Poe could easily go 20 pages just describing the backdrop

Actually, they did that because they were paid by the word so authors then would add detailed descriptions of items in a store window for example even if none of the items are involved in the story. More recent authors are doing something similar like long internal monologues because their publisher convinced them to stretch one novel into three.
>>
>>80750612
not only that, but knowing what hollywood has become, the movies would be about strong women or chads quipping around and killing monsters
>>
File: mlb-17-the-show-bug.jpg (1MB, 1900x981px) Image search: [Google]
mlb-17-the-show-bug.jpg
1MB, 1900x981px
People don't want body horror that's too intense, the line between horror and sickness is a thin one and no one wants to overstep that and drive away a lot of their audience. Every movie that does body horror, even Alien and The Thing which are probably the two most famous, never make it disturbing enough to make them Lovecraftian. Even In The Mouth of Madness didn't quite get there, and that was the most Lovecraftian of them all.

And his stuff without body horror is either big sea monsters or too esoteric too work, although I think a modern day telling of the Color from outer-space could work as some FBI guys being sent to investigate a series of murders commited in a small town over someone getting revenge for the perceived poisoning of their land, and then them slowly putting the pieces together.
>>
>>80750764
Even if this is bait you're incredibly retarded.
>>
>>80750822
>waaah i can't refute i'm below average wannabe unable to imagine how to adapt a novel so i'll pretend he's shitposting
>>
>>80751066
>unimaginative moron calling others retard

kek
>>
where the fuck is torrent?
>>
A lot of Lovecrafts stories involve beings which are so utterly alien that humans can't really comprehend them. This is hard to convey visually.
>>
File: 1480391812615.jpg (6KB, 173x129px) Image search: [Google]
1480391812615.jpg
6KB, 173x129px
>>80749947
>He reads for plot
>mfw

>>80750137
Literally this.
>>
>>80749744
>Is LoveCraft simply too scary to adapt?
this is the deep ones of memes
>>
>>80751042
lovecraftian horror and body horror are two completely different things
>>
>>80751255
Yeah but a lot of his classic stories involve it.
>>
>>80751221
>she does not read for plot

little girl, go back to /mlp/
>>
fuck off back to /r/lovecraft
>>
>>80751470

b-but the wop dago post there ;_;
>>
>>80749744
No. Give me a small loan of a million dollars and I will make At the Mountains of Madness with an emphasis on practical effects.
>>
>>80749832
It's not the same with Lovecraft because he usually makes the monsters/ayys/gods undescribable. In Lord of the Rings you actually have a base description of the creatures.
>>
File: Lovecraft_smile.jpg (19KB, 169x200px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft_smile.jpg
19KB, 169x200px
>>80749744
What is there to even adapt?

>no relatable human characters
>highly internalized psychological terror built on "implications" without showing anything directly EXCEPT that the implications are so obvious they telegraph the twist ending
>Boo! "and then I ran out of the house screaming and immediately sat down to write this journal which you, the reader, are reading. Please send help, I am now insane."
>thinly veiled allegory for the dangers of miscegenation
>>
>>80751470
>Post thing
>"FUCK OFF TO /r/THING
>>
File: Azathoth.jpg (91KB, 407x550px) Image search: [Google]
Azathoth.jpg
91KB, 407x550px
No, you could easily adapt his more "down to earth" stories that don't have eldritch monstrosities, but those aren't the ones that people want. I think the problem with adapting his most memorable & popular stories like Call of Cthulhu or At the Mountains of Madness is that they'd likely require a budget larger than any studio is willing to provide. The AtMoM adaptation that was in the works a few years had trouble right off the bat because the studio wanted a love interest and PG-13 rating. We're probably never going to get big budget cosmic horror without sacrifices that would butcher the source material. Of course you have low budget stuff like the films made by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society, but those aren't exactly scary even if they are good efforts.
>>
File: Elder_Thing.jpg (211KB, 647x864px) Image search: [Google]
Elder_Thing.jpg
211KB, 647x864px
>>80752014

Sometimes he goes into great detail actually, and his descriptions are usually pretty stupid when you draw them out on paper.
>>
I think Cabin in the Woods was breddy gud with Lovecraftian undertones.
>>
>>80752132
are we going to do the same dance around radial and bilateral symmetry?
>>
>>80752120
>love interest
If those retards want love in a cosmic horror story maybe it's a good thing we'll never get an adaptation of atmom
>>
>>80752257
You obviously never read Lovecraft when you claim some sci fi horror with monsters was Lovecraftian. It makes no sense whatsoever, people keep repeating it though as if its true.

Lovecraftian kind of horror would be a movie with the setting of Shutter Island, suspense and cultish nonsense of King Kong (2005) and conspiracy-tier stuff like Eyes Wide Shut
>>
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/cd.aspx
I want to adapt this into a feature-length movie, please give me money.
>>
>>80752460
Lovecraftian undertones. Elder gods, never shown, sacrifices. Not saying it was full Lovecraft rip-off. Learn to read.
>>
>>80750080
>tfw no good Devilman adaptation that fully covers the manga

The OVA was such a tease.
>>
It's too cheesy to adapt.

lel tentacles
>>
>>80750109
I know I've read In the Mountains of Madness, I don't know about the Lurker. But ask me to name a damn thing about either and I couldn't. It really is utterly forgettable work.

As I read the Lovecraft compendiums I'd frequently be nodding off they were so dull.
>>
>>80749744
No, its too mystic to adapt (properly.) Most, of his stories about the fear of what will happen. Once shit goes down, it goes down fast.
Whisperer in the dark is a great example. Even Innsmouth is lotsa talk before the nightly escape.

If you do that in a show, the reddit crowd would've turned off by episode 2. And if you dont do it that way, its simply not a good HPL adaption. Thats why most adaptions focus on "monsters" first, and are so-so if not shit.
>>
>>80752120
That space octopus on the bottom left with his little horn instrument thing looks like a pretty chill guy. Would hang out with.
>>
>>80753274
The real problem is if you trim out all the filler (which every love craft story is about 95% filler and overly long descriptions of every damn backdrop), a typical lovecraft story goes something like this

>So and so was walking among the wharfs, observing a lot of shifty foreigners glancing at him furtively with sigils of an unknown cult around their neck.
>I decided to come back at nightfall to see what the wop dagos were up to.
>they were changint in an unknown language holding torches around the figure of a great tenticalled god
>A booming voice calls out speaking in a hybrid of a different tongue and english.
>A rift appears and a many eyed creature with tentacles eyes me malevolently.
>Chased away by the wop dagos.
>I'm writing this on the verge of madness. I cannot sleep cannot eat and I frequently see the many eyed tentacled beast eyeballing me from the shadows and every time I sleep.

That's a 50-100 page lovecraft story without the filler.

See even if you take one of his long epics and trim down the overly verbose descriptions you get left with material that couldn't fill 15 minutes of screen time. Then you have to add filler of a cinematic variety which the puritanical adherents to the source will find heretical. They will hate any additional plot added, but it must be for screen time.

Also, every Lovecraftian story with the exception of a couple is a thinly veiled allegory about the dangers of allowing foreigners into our society. If they aren't super careful, some of the original intent of the stories may slip into the movie.... or in this era of ultra-liberalism, many lefties may be irritated that such a racist short story was made into a movie in the first place.

tl;dr Like me, Lovecraft writes too much to say basic things. Trim out the filler and even his epics might make for a 30 minutes made-for-tv episode at best.
>>
>>80751214
Finally someanon gets it. I'd say this plus synaesthesia is what makes Lovecraft hard to adapt.

Imagine being a small mammal with basic cognitive skills and along comes a being that is utterly incomprehensible, whose motives you don't understand, who has no regard for your species, because it isn't on it's scale of consciousness at all. A being whose sole existence defies every rule of reality as you have always conceived it.

You cannot imagine this? Exactly. Lovecraft-narrators fail at putting those beings into words, they literally go mad after trying to comprehend that there is something so much bigger (in any way (and 4u) out there than us. And that it doesn't look kindly on us.
>>
File: 1489983623769.jpg (43KB, 499x498px) Image search: [Google]
1489983623769.jpg
43KB, 499x498px
>le undescribable horror ;O
>>
>>80749744
>Lovecraft movie
>first 90 minutes of it is a slow lead up
>next 30 is a little bit spooky
>movie ends without showing us what supe spookt shit the protagonist saw, only him going crazy
>thinking this movie would sell.
really?
>>
File: hackel.jpg (132KB, 541x800px) Image search: [Google]
hackel.jpg
132KB, 541x800px
>>80752132
>his descriptions are usually pretty stupid when you draw them out on paper.
he took huge inspiration from popular engravings of real animals tho
>>
File: Mothman_prophecies_poster.jpg (22KB, 299x444px) Image search: [Google]
Mothman_prophecies_poster.jpg
22KB, 299x444px
was pic related Lovecraftian kino?
>I think we can assume that these entities are more advanced than us. Why don't they just come right out and tell us what's on their minds?
>You're more advanced than a cockroach, have you ever tried explaining yourself to one of them?
>>
The first half of S1 of True Detective was GREAT Lovecraftian horror. The continuous feeling of dread and that something big and supernatural is going down was great.
>>
>>80749744
Yes. Quite literally.

No one wants to do a M rated movie.
>>
File: src-1.png (293KB, 355x490px) Image search: [Google]
src-1.png
293KB, 355x490px
>>80753660
It kinda was, yeah...
Also this one:
>>
It's hard to visualize something that's described as 'unspeakable' or 'unimaginable'.
>>
>>80753904
its easy when you're mentally disturbed

I just imagine gaping mouths, sores oozing pus and transluscent skin of giant lobsters that drip magma on the earth
>>
Twin Peaks
fite me
>>
Modern horror movies are made up of cheap thrills.

Anything involving using the brain is outside the scope of modern humans.
>>
>>80752132
That's not unspeakable nor unimaginable then.
>>
>>80754202
>That's not unspeakable nor unimaginable then.
that's because the idea that Lovecraft never described anything is a meme.
>>
File: IMG_20150224_181541.jpg (172KB, 1025x923px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150224_181541.jpg
172KB, 1025x923px
The Mist was pure lovecraftkino
>>
>>80751180
>>80751130

Something tells me that you're not even trolling, you're just this fucking stupid.
>>
>>80751192
bumping for torrent
>>
>>80749781
HAHA #REKT
>>
He made the terrible mistake of not being jewish so we won't see movies about him
>>
>>80753717
this
>>
>>80749744
Are there actually any Lovecraft stories where the main character wins?
>>
>>80754913
There's a bunch, as long as you accept that in spite of them winning the horrible things still continue to exist. Then, yeah, sure.

Dream-Quest is pretty chill.
>>
>>80753522
blair witch project got away with it, although the found footage gimmick had a lot to do with it
>>80754343
closest to it
>>
>>80754913
couple. but only REAL story where the protagonists win would be the dunwich horror where some old college professors avert serious shit and don't got crazy in the process.
>>
Was anyone else really irritated by the fact that in Rats in the Walls the protagonist's cat was called Niggerman?
>>
>>80749947
>He sort of founded a genre though, one of malevolent sci fi space/interdimensional ancient entities being summoned forth by cults

>I've read dozens of his stories
ok_kid.png
>>
File: 1406383939354.gif (2MB, 312x250px) Image search: [Google]
1406383939354.gif
2MB, 312x250px
>>80755095
>>
>>80753474
Thats not at all what a typical HPL story is about though. Like wtf?
>>
>>80755227
no not in a sjw context. just irritated
>>
>it's the most horrible thing you ever seen brah
>dude you'll totally have your mind blown and go crazy when you see it
*Fish man with tentacles for a beard walks in*
>have you gone mad yet? haha you can't even comprehend what you're seeing can you? be scared!
>>
True Detective season one
>>
>>80756106
I'm pretty sure you'd go insane if you saw something like that in real life, though.
>>
>lovecraft
>horror
intothetrash.jpg
>>
>>80749744
https://vimeo.com/30798517
You can adapt Lovecraft to the visual medium. Just not movies. Lovecraft stories don't add up more than one hour of content even with massive filling.
>>
In the Mouth of Madness is probably the best film that captures the lovecraftian feel without resorting to tentacle monsters (even though they do make a brief appearance)
>>
File: p4uc6n3jyvxZJR0d2HMLec6l28v.jpg (36KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
p4uc6n3jyvxZJR0d2HMLec6l28v.jpg
36KB, 500x281px
I always loved The Resurrected/Shatterbrain.
>>
File: Herbie.jpg (347KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
Herbie.jpg
347KB, 720x900px
>>80757007
pls
>>
>>80751192
but the movie is yet release right?
>>
>>80758400
yes and no, it was shown on Halloween event like a year ago.
>>
>>80753188
Herbert West: Re-animator would actually be pretty easy to do. The book is just 5 experiments gone wrong then it blows up in their face
>>
>>80753717
Was about to post this. They nailed the atmosphere
>>
File: dog knife.jpg (60KB, 537x720px) Image search: [Google]
dog knife.jpg
60KB, 537x720px
>>80759796
It exists.
>>
File: alien_ship_002_1196992514.jpg (25KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
alien_ship_002_1196992514.jpg
25KB, 480x270px
What are some movies that deal with cosmic horror?
>>
>>80759948

this:
>>80758393 is not really like the book
>>
>>80760027
there's this almost indie movie that came out like 2 years ago about a group of soldiers who get teleported to a station and then start getting killed by an unknown invisible entity. pretty good imo. don'tremember its name
>>
>>80749744
The biggest problem is that even if someone were to make a really good Lovecraft kino, it would be ruined by [dramatic music] or Inception-BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM, instead of just the sound the Elder God makes or silence as the protag gets his shit pushed in.
>>
>>80752460
this fuck never saw the movie
>>
File: 1490116015220.jpg (179KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490116015220.jpg
179KB, 960x960px
I never read any Lovecraft.

Should I?
>>
>>80760496
don't read! it's for normies
>>
File: STL036619-600x464.jpg (67KB, 600x464px) Image search: [Google]
STL036619-600x464.jpg
67KB, 600x464px
only marginally /tv/ related

but final issue of providence comes out next wed
>>
>>80760115

Sounds intruiging...do you remember who was in it?
>>
File: IMG_4382.jpg (44KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4382.jpg
44KB, 220x330px
I really enjoyed first half of this.
Great atmosphere.
>>
>>80749744
>Nightmare on Elm Street
>Godzilla
>Friday the 13th
>Texas Chainsaw Massacre
>The Cabin in the Woods

those are some great lovecraftian movies
>>
File: IMG_4383.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4383.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Shatterbrain ( The Ressurected ) is pretty good adaptation.
>>
>>80756472
n-no
>>
File: from beyond.jpg (17KB, 214x326px) Image search: [Google]
from beyond.jpg
17KB, 214x326px
>>80749744
I liked this.
>>
File: innsfolk.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
innsfolk.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
The Shadow Over Innsmouth could be made into a fantastic film.

>>80760496
Yes. Start with Dagon as it's a good introduction to his core concepts and it's pretty short and easy to digest, then read The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Call of Cthulhu, and the Color Out of Space, that's all his best stuff
>>
>>80749797
If im remembering right he didn't write racist stuff in his main works, he even depicted latinos in a positive light.
>>
>>80749781
this desu senpai
>>
>>80749744
>muh lovecraft is spoopy
fuck this stupid meme. lovecraft is shit and pretentious
>>
>>80751255
but he uses plenty of body horror
the color out of space being the most noticeable one
>>
File: Die_Farbe_1.png (187KB, 585x293px) Image search: [Google]
Die_Farbe_1.png
187KB, 585x293px
Look up Die Farbe (2010) based on Color Out of Space.
>>
>>80760636
mmm, I'm trying to think but all that comes to mind is that netflix movie Spectral.
>>
>>80760636
>>80762021
I remember, its name is Innfini
>>
>>80762234
Infini*
>>
>>80754202
Maybe it was to someone of the 1930s, who hadnt been fed a constant supply of horror films and comics their entire life, like we have.
>>
>>80753474
3/10, Not enough "Eldritch"
>>
>>80753484
This. It's like a guinea pig trying to understand how an internal combustion engine works. It's tiny mind just lacks the ability to comprehend or understand it because it is beyond it. We are not the ultimate creature, capable of knowing everything - we have limits on our strength, endurance, understanding and commprehension. Some people don't like this idea as they see themselves as the centre of the universe. Lovecraft argued against this with his stories.
>>
>>80751214
this is a total meme perpetuated by morons who apparently haven't read lovecraft at all

>It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train — a shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter.

notice how he starts by saying that it's "indescribable" and then goes on to DESCRIBE it? it's an expression you autists. lovecraft describes his creatures all the time, you all need to go back
>>
>>80753474
I can tell you have never actually read Lovecraft to any substantial degree. You've provided a summary for the Call of Cthulhu, he has tons of stories that do not fit that at all.
>>
>>80751192
>>80754486
>>80758400
>>80758575
it hits VOD on april 7th

it's shit though, not even worth torrenting imo. the marketing made it seem interesting but it's low-budget trash with delusions of grandeur
>>
>>80752120
>love interest
>pg13

What the fuck?!
>>
>>80759796
>Herbert West: Re-animator would actually be pretty easy to do

And that's why it was done already
>>
>>80755095
But Lovecraft's cat was actually called niggerman
>>
>>80758393
This movie is so fucking good
>>
>>80753717
>The first half of S1 of True Detective was GREAT Lovecraftian horror
>first half

but anon "him who eats time... him robes is like a wind of invisible voices" was in episode seven, and we finally see fatty's spiral consilience in the final ep
>>
I am from /tg/ and lovecraft is as scary as niggers are to chinks, which is to say not at all.

Just wait for stanger things 2nd season and pat yourself on the back you fucking mongoloids.
>>
>>80749781

Seriously this.
>>
>>80749744
LoveCraftian horror literally embraces the un known. I don't know how you would make a movie based on the unknown.
>>
>>80763565
>i haven't actually read lovecraft, i just repeat the memes

hurr the uss enterprise explores the unknown how do you film that hurf durf
>>
File: 1450124298215.jpg (368KB, 1164x959px) Image search: [Google]
1450124298215.jpg
368KB, 1164x959px
>>80762899
thank you
>>
>>80763565
:whisper in your ear: 'Event Horizon' 'From Beyond'
>>
File: In the Mouth of Madness.webm (2MB, 640x268px) Image search: [Google]
In the Mouth of Madness.webm
2MB, 640x268px
>>
File: 1488248693733.gif (2MB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488248693733.gif
2MB, 252x200px
>>80749947
Nice copypasta from that Clive Barker thread.
>>
File: STAR-WARS - They live.jpg (2MB, 864x1280px) Image search: [Google]
STAR-WARS - They live.jpg
2MB, 864x1280px
>>80750080
3 kopeks each on GOG :
https://www.gog.com/game/dead_space
https://www.gog.com/game/clive_barkers_undying
https://www.gog.com/game/pathologic_classic_hd
>>
>>80749744
No, just no one has adapted him really. The closest (well-budgeted) movie to a Lovecraft film was The Mist. There hasn't been a true movie about the horrors of the unknown in a Lovecraftian style- we've had Aliens or The Thing, but those devolved into simple monster movies with scare jumps.
>>
>>80755612
No, nigger would make a funny name for a cat.
>>
File: itmom-cell.jpg (52KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
itmom-cell.jpg
52KB, 720x304px
>>80750080
In the Mouth of Madness
>>
quick someone post the memecraft quote about the cats
>>
>>80764391
>>80766305
Great movie and great ending.
>>
>>80765278

The Thing (1982) is deffinetly not a simple monster movie based on jump scares.

its the best Lovecraftian movie made thus far.
>>
How do I get into Lovecraft? Where should I start?
>>
>>80766546
'At the Mountains of Madness' and 'Call of the Cthulhu' are pretty notable.
>>
>>80766546
check out some classic stories, see if it works for you

the call of cthulhu is of course the go-to meme recommendation, but it legitimately is one of his best stories, it's very typical (so it'll be a good indicator if his whole style is for you), and it introduces you into the whole overarching mythology

some personal favorites that i would recommend are the nameless city, imprisoned with the pharaoh's, pickman's model, the shadow out of time, and the case of charles dexter ward

if you've decided you like him, read fucking everyhing

https://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-Commemorative/dp/0575081570
>>
>>80762748
I have read lovecraft. I wasn't talking about the Shoggoth, in fact ATMOM is one of his stories which could be adapted, since the creatures in it are described and aren't extradimensional gods. Call of Cthulhu could be too, since Cthulhu has a definite form, and Shadow over innsmouth could be as well. I said "a lot" not "all."
>>
>>80749744
Most of his stories (at least those with a protagonist) are narrated, often by an unnamed character. They're incredibly barebones characters, which works for self-inserting into as a reader, but watching them on the screen, not so much.

Also he goes quite detailed about feelings of dread, apprehension, etc. Good luck getting an actor to convey all that while dealing with some vague and terrible horror.

Now, Lovecraft-INSPIRED stories are another matter.
>>
File: Ogdru_Jahad_The_Island.png (2MB, 1240x1331px) Image search: [Google]
Ogdru_Jahad_The_Island.png
2MB, 1240x1331px
>>80767543
>Now, Lovecraft-INSPIRED stories are another matter.

case in point: mignola's hellboy comics. pure elder god kino
>>
File: asdgsdgsdg.jpg (81KB, 484x717px) Image search: [Google]
asdgsdgsdg.jpg
81KB, 484x717px
Saw this the other day, it was pretty lovecraftian
>>
File: EbUUNId.jpg (238KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
EbUUNId.jpg
238KB, 894x894px
>>80767939
>that thing

that is daemon sultan Azathoth to you mister!
>>
>>80768138
>>80767939

Azatoth is the bubbling chaos at the heart of everything. (Modern writers like Matt Cardin and Thomas Ligotti write him as if he's literally the primordial chaos from which the universe emanated). But yeah, Lovecraft does describe drummers and flutes playing nearby, so...
>>
>>80749797
>he and his black cat niggerman.webm
>>
>>80761167
you don't have to be racist against every other race except your own to be racist
>>
>>80768260
>Lovecraft does describe drummers and flutes playing

yeah as a metaphor, like in Tolkien the music of the ainur represents the order of creation, so in Lovecraft the insane piping of the blind idiot "god" represents the inherent pointlessness of the universe
>>
>Lovecraftian films

>No Hellboy

Hellboy had some GOAT lovecraftian elements
>>
File: brief glimpse into future.png (328KB, 1020x554px) Image search: [Google]
brief glimpse into future.png
328KB, 1020x554px
>>80768457
this.

Hellboy's future is basically a lovecraft novel

The film gave us some great visuals without revealing everything at once.
>>
File: 1475734334715.jpg (22KB, 552x539px) Image search: [Google]
1475734334715.jpg
22KB, 552x539px
>>80751042
I wish I could have one day on here without seeing this
>>
I think instead of going big and try to adapt Mountains of Madness or Call of Cthulhu, they should go for something else.

Imagine The Dunwich Horror as a horror period piece made in the style (and with roughly the same budget) of The VVitch. The elder Whateley sibling is even invisible, so that allots the budget elsewhere. Or something like The Thing on the Doorstep adapted by David Cronenberg. Thinking smaller should be the way to go instead of some grandiose big-budget flick that will just fall short of everyone's expectations.
>>
>>80749776
>physical representation of non-physical ideas
Yeah, it's the perfect adaptation to gut the source for an easily digestable horror schlock.
>>
>>80761167
SJW don't care about the substance of your work. Only about attacking it because you said some naughty things that have nothing to do with your contributions to society
>>
>>80768457
>>80768504
check out the comics brahs, they are much more lovecraftian in essence
>>
>>80768666
>Those trips
>Recommending Hellboy

Hello, Satan.
>>
>>80750080
Saya no uta
>>
>>80749797
Holy shit I love Lovecraft now.
>>
He doesn't actually describe any of his things, his characters are saying that they can't find words to describe and leave it at that most of the time, there are things like impossible colors and shapes which are easy to put into book but how the fuck would you put it on a screen with the sole piece of info on a thing being "impossible".
>>
File: 1458306276899.jpg (44KB, 411x387px) Image search: [Google]
1458306276899.jpg
44KB, 411x387px
>>80769911
are there really this many retards parroting ill-informed bullshit about lovecraft or am i being rused?
>>
>>80770344

>...I saw no city spread below, and no friendly lights gleaming from remembered streets, but only the blackness of space illimitable; unimagined space alive with motion and music, and having no semblance to anything on earth.

Creative assignment: try to think of something that has no resemblace to anything on earth
>>
>>80749744
I think it says alot for his idea of "unimaginable horror" that one of the characters in his stories mistook a catipillar for a monster climbing up a mountain.
Unless I'm thinking of another writer
>>
>>80770344
The bigger the lie, the more people repeat it. They hear it, they say it, and it becomes rule.

I'd be amazed if ten people ITT have read anything by Lovecraft.
>>
>>80770612
cherrypicking
you said he doesn't describe ANY of his things and that's bullshit

>"A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind."

why that's impossible to depict!
>>
>>80770753
Also cherrypicking. That's the description of the clay sculpture that some cult made of Cthulhu. When it comes to describing Cthulthu itself,

>The aperture was black with a darkness almost material. That tenebrousness was indeed a positive quality; for it obscured such parts of the inner walls as ought to have been revealed, and actually burst forth like smoke from its aeon-long imprisonment, visibly darkening the sun as it slunk away into the shrunken and gibbous sky on flapping membraneous wings. The odour arising from the newly opened depths was intolerable, and at length the quick-eared Hawkins thought he heard a nasty, slopping sound down there. Everyone listened, and everyone was listening still when It lumbered slobberingly into sight and gropingly squeezed Its gelatinous green immensity through the black doorway into the tainted outside air of that poison city of madness.

>The Thing cannot be described—there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled. God! What wonder that across the earth a great architect went mad, and poor Wilcox raved with fever in that telepathic instant? The Thing of the idols, the green, sticky spawn of the stars, had awaked to claim his own.
>>
>>80770865
>That's the description of the clay sculpture that some cult made of Cthulhu

well then, if the author tells us that's what human artistry makes of the thing itself that transcends conventional means, let that be the concession for the moviemaker as well
>>
>>80770989
Well, sure, that can happen. And has happened with some movies that gave it a try at being Lovecraftian.

But really the thing is that Lovecraft takes advantage of literature not being visual in order to simply convey a sense of wrongness. The creeping sense of dread is more important in Lovecraft than the shock of seeing (or imagining) the thing.

One of the best Lovecraftian passages I've read out of Lovecraft comes from Clive Barker, "the midnight meat train". And, curiously enough, the movie adaptation didn't even bother trying to do it. Maybe because low budget, maybe because they relized this kind of dread doesn't translate easily to movies.

>He could hear the noise of its anatomy: ticking, crack-ling, sobbing. It shifted a little in the dark. The sound of its movement was awesome. Like a mountain sitting up. Kaufman’s face was raised to it, and without thinking about what he was doing or why, he fell to his knees in the shit in front of the Father of Fathers. Every day of his life had been leading to this day, every moment quickening to this incalculable moment of holy terror. Had there been sufficient light in that pit to see the whole, perhaps his tepid heart would have burst. As it was he felt it flutter in his chest as he saw what he saw. It was a giant. Without head or limb. Without a feature that was analogous to human, without an organ that made sense, or senses. If it was like anything, it was like a shoal of fish. A thousand snouts all moving in unison, budding, blossoming and withering rhythmically. It was iridescent, like mother of pearl, but it was sometimes deeper than any colour Kaufman knew, or could put a name to. That was all Kaufman could see, and it was more than he wanted to see. There was much more in the darkness, flickering and flapping. But he could look no longer.
>>
>>80770865

A scene I would be curious to see is the part where one of the sailors fall into an angle in the floor. Whenever I read that part, my mind gives up trying to visualize it.
>>
File: 1466417011850.png (223KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
1466417011850.png
223KB, 404x507px
>>80761167

The cat of the protagonist in Rats in the Walls is literally called Niggerman.
>>
>>80771293
>he was swallowed up by an angle of masonry which shouldn’t have been there; an angle which was acute, but behaved as if it were obtuse

it's non-euclidian geometry, ain't gotta explain shit
>>
>>80771387
Niggerman was also the name of an actual cat that Lovecraft had as pet.

Lovecraft was racist but, come on, he was literally a WASP in the 1910/20s, what else you expect. He certainly wasn't the "all fucking niggers must hang" type of racist.
>>
>>80771626

He once saw a nig in his hometown and didn't leave his room for a week, apparently.
He was autistically racist. Not that I blame him.
>>
>>80749947
The Lovecraft entities are not evil they simply have incomprehensible thought processes making their actions towards us look evil.
>>
>>80771786
Kek. I'm sure that's apocryphal.

A famous quote of his, taken from one of his letters and quoted in T.E.D. Klein's story Black Man with a Horn: "The Black [words obscured by postmark] was fascinating—I must get a snap shot of him."
>>
>>80771912
yeah there's no point in trying to adapt lovecraft, everything is "le indescribable horror from space" and "omg incomprehensible madness" with this guy i don't know how the fuck anyone is supposed to put that on film
>>
>>80768666
Yes my Lord
>>
>>80753717
Yeah. The whole forest was creepy as fuck
>>
>>80758393
Is it my memory playing tricks on me or there was a scene where reanimated mouse fought a bitten-off dick?
>>
OP here
I meant Deep sea horror not Lovecraft
>>
>>80768612
As if your kind is any different at ignoring irrelevant details.
>>
>>80749813
I remember reading Shadow Over Innsmouth a long time ago and that genuinely creeped me out more than than practically every horror movie done in the last decade.
>>
>>80749781
Way too much this. He's really boring
>>
Lovecraft is overrated. That's it. He's good but not as good as cunts claim he is.
>>
>>80762276
>>80762234

Thanks!
>>
>>80753474
Lovecraft reuses plots pretty often, but its rarely the device which makes the story memorable. Honestly, if you kept the overall atmosphere and tone (little dialogue, a pervading sense of insignificance and gloom), stretched out some detective-investigations into the Cthulu mythos, and even brought it into modern-day, you could very easily create a Lovecraft 'adaption' that felt close to the source material. Getting caught up on specific locations or narratives is entirely missing the point of what about Lovecraft is memorable. Not to say he didn't have his flaws (he had plenty, and only a few of his gems are even worthy to consider adapting), but a single story that abridged his ideas together could work very well.
>>
>>80767253
>Shadow over innsmouth

also has the best action sequences. that spanish dagon movie got quite a bit right but the added dagon bit and setting it outside of the US was a terrible idea.

I've tried to ask her about this multiple times and have never gotten a reply. What happened to this project? I can't find a single thing about it besides the initial announcements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZ2x5BRwkc&t=2s
>>
>>80772586
Kek
>>
File: ET.jpg (192KB, 794x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ET.jpg
192KB, 794x1000px
>Elder Things give birth from the top of their "heads"

>Elder Things created Man

>Elder Things in an act of cruel mockery, made it so Man spawns its young in close proximity from where he defecates

Really makes you stink
>>
>>80771997
I dont know why lovecraft entities have tentacles they should actually be completely impossible to visually imagine at all since they exist in more than 3 spatial dimensions.
>>
>>80771387
It's funny when babbies cry about Lovecraft, a man of his time, like he was some kind of Nazi skinhead leader of a racist death squad, running down niggs in his spare time and handing out white supremacist leaflets.

Niggers were niggers back then, it's not his fault.
>>
>>80775846
Only the ones considered gods exist in extra-dimensional space. Elder Things, Dagon, C'thulhu, Yithians etc. etc. are all either from this universe, or are using mediums constructed of indigenous matter for bodies on this plane of existence (.i.e. C'thulhu) yet they still only exist in 3d space wherever their original form is projecting from.
>>
>>80772586
To answer your question, though. It's not too scary, just far too expensive
>>
>>80771912
>>80771997
>>80775846

le eyeless horror from the void

HOLY SHIT SO SCARY ITS A GIANT SQUID

Why is lovecraft so trite ??
>>
>>80775898
Uh, did you forget what we were discussing? Someone claimed that he wasn't racist, in which that was quickly disproved. Try and keep up.
>>
>>80776036
>>80775846
Things like tentacles and stuff are our eyes adapting to seeing something as weird as an extra dimensional being. Imagine being done guy on a 2d plane and seeing a human in 3d. You'd see the human's cross sectional area and that's it. It would change in ways you couldn't comprehend
>>
>>80768275
I named my cat Niggerman after that story.

>tfw I had to lie the vet his name was Nigel
>>
>>80769334
This is a board for movies and television, not Japanese pornography.
>>
>>80775787
The Elder Things reproduce using spores though, they don't "give birth."
>>
>>80755095

Like "nigger man" or "niggerman" pronounced like "zimmerman"

hue
>>
>>80752066
ur a faggot
>>
>>80750690
you dont know anything bout weird fiction do you... like a whole genre of literature is based off that... and all of todays tropes are based off things in weird fiction... especially love craft. he refined many creatures ( like fast, cannibal zombies) and set up the importance of tone, AND took the Byronic hero beyond being flawed, but meaningless
>>
>>80753248
if you didnt like MoM why read his compendiums?
or are you a Role player cuck who likes reading about lovecraft monsters like they are pokemon
>>
>>80755095
Why would I be irritated by that?
>>
>>80762748

You're dumb. He's only partially describing what the human mind could comprehend. You can't actually SHOW the creature because there's more to it than that.
>>
>>80752066
>>Boo! "and then I ran out of the house screaming and immediately sat down to write this journal which you, the reader, are reading. Please send help, I am now insane."
Literally Tolkien.
>>
File: IMG_1883.jpg (488KB, 1031x603px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1883.jpg
488KB, 1031x603px
>>80749744
Lovecraftian horror is derived heavily from the unknown and unknowable and Hollywood is pretty bad about not fucking that up.

A good example of what would qualify as "Lovecraftian horror" is the Pilot in Alien. None of the characters knew what it was, how it got there, etc.. Then they made comics where it was a huge elephant creature and Prometheus turned them into giant baby men.

You can't really make a movie about "indescribable horrors" and things that would turn a person insane upon witnessing if your entire movie is describing and showing you these things.
>>
>>80756106
You forgot about the cool wings.
>>
>>80749797
racism was pretty common in his time desu
>>
>>80756361
No no no. True Detective was cool, but the only Lovecraftian thing about it is the mention of the Yellow King.
>>
>>80772553
That's the third one. During the credits.
>>
>>80757007
Oh doooooooood
I love this video and have been trying to remember who it was by for YEARS
Mystery solved, thanks!
>>
>>80766478
This.
Carpenter nails it by never showing you quite enough of The Thing to know what you're seeing. Activates your "horror at the unknown" while still having something onscreen.
>>
>>80757007
>>80780279
Turns out it's some form of message of not falling into peer pressure and doing degenerate things.
It was not intended to be Lovecraftian.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 167x341px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 167x341px
>>80757007
The fuck did I just watch?
>>
>>80780670
This. Also, the speed in which characters start losing their mind really adds to the whole Lovecraftian vibe
>>
>>80750080
Bloodborne.
>>
>>80766546
Best story to start with is Rats In The Walls. It's more accessible and delivers on the classic Lovecraft ending.
>>
>>80750080
In the Mouth of Madness
>>
>>80780713
This: >>80780673
>>
File: demonbane2.png (1MB, 804x604px) Image search: [Google]
demonbane2.png
1MB, 804x604px
DEMONBANE is the greatest Lovecraft inspired work and simply the greatest creation of all time.
>>
>there's some CULT of men who kill other men
Boring as fuck, I want to see the Old Ones' home planet or something
>>
>>80780775
Not to mention I started going nuts trying to figure out who was and wasn't the thing.

Then a guys head popped off and crawled away and my brain just gave up ia! ia!
>>
>>80750137
>>80780790
>Bloodborne
>good Lovecraft
dude just beat the cosmic nightmares to death with a hammer lmao
>>
>>80781063
Nah

How about a cult of men trying to kill other men and you see glimpses of a sunken god that's never really explained or even pointed out by the characters.
>>
Lovecraft is going to get obnoxious because of lazy faggots who think it's OK to just throw lovecraft type shit into their story and pretend it's way better than it is as a result. Right now there's not enough of that to make it really bad but it'll happen, mark my words.

And also, lefties hate Lovecraft because he was a big bad wacist like every other person around him so they'll lead the charge in saying he's overrated. Still want at least one big budget Lovecraft film, it's ridiculous that there isn't one already.
>>
>>80781205
What more can you expect from /v/ermin.
>>
>>80781205
Yeah, and in Call of Cthulhu they knock a monster the size of a fucking mountain back into his grave with a yacht.
>>
>>80781255
>>80781205
Cthulu was knocked the fuck out by hitting him on the head with a boat
>>
>>80781205
>>80781255
>retards who don't actually read Lovecraft trying to pass judgment on others who read Lovecraft
Delicious. I love when wikifags shit on rraders, it's hilarious.
>>
>>80781296
>>80781297
m-masaka
>>
>>80781309
>>80781297
You're implying that bloodborne is good.
>>
>>80750137
Wait I thought that Bloodborne was about killing werewolves, since when are werewolves lovecraft
>>
File: never ever.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
never ever.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>80781379
>>
>>80781389
Werewolves were a marketing red herring.
>>
>>80781379
That's a different discussion entirely, but yes.

>>80781389
First half of Bloodborne is largely Shadow Over Innsmouth except with werewolves instead of fish people. The twist is, like Mountains of Madness, that their gods are aliens.
>>
>>80781389
That's what the Ayylmaos want you to think.
>>
>>80781441
well it does become literally Shadow of Innsmouth at one point
>>
>>80781494
In the DLC, yes.
>>
>>80753717
Yes, the atmosphere was incredible, almost suffocating. Then on ep. 6 they fucked everything up and ruined it
>>
>>80781389
It's about killing werewolves for the first few hours and then it's all about fighting occult space aliens.
>>
>>80781389
Just like how Cabin in the Woods is a zombie movie and not Lovecraft at all, right?
>>
>>80781548
never saw Cabin in the Woods
>>
>>80749744

"muh monsters"
>>
>>80749797
very few of his stories espoused his xenophobia and racism... his personal letters on the other hand. Still, it's not like it matters. If you know anything about Lovecraft and his upbringing, it makes sense he would feel the way he did. Different time, different attitudes, etc. Just because he was racist doesn't mean he was evil, which an all too common attitude nowadays.
>>
>>80781573
I recommend it, try not to get spoiled further than what I just said though.
>>
>>80767773
I watched this turd because you idiots recommended it to me and I love At The Mountains of Madness and The Thing. This movie is complete irredeemable trash and an utter waste of time.
>>
>>80781296
>>80781297
That's because Cthulhu is weak for some minutes after being summoned
The monsters in Bloodborne had an entire night to fuck around.
>>
>>80781644
he was super racist even by the standards of his contemporaries, though, he was autistic and his object of autistic focus was his hatred of non WASP New Englanders
>>
>>80781725
>he thinks that the Great Ones actually die when you kill them
you merely chop off one finger of the larger body, anon
>>
>>80781725
>The monsters in Bloodborne had an entire night to fuck around.
None of them are old ones though, you'd know this if you did your reading.
>>
>>80781441
PC RELEASE WHEN GODAMMIT
>>
>>80781779
The Moon Presence, Amygdala, Mergo's Wet Nurse, and Oedon are all "true" Old Ones in the sense that they aren't ascended human beings
>>
>>80762745
>We are not the ultimate creature
We are though. That's why we rule the only planet in the universe that has life on it
>>
File: Doubt.png (85KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
Doubt.png
85KB, 492x280px
>>80781912
>Earth is the only planet in the universe with life on it
>>
File: Ebrietas Vore.webm (2MB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ebrietas Vore.webm
2MB, 848x480px
>>
>>80781725
>All-powerful cosmic being who transcends life and death
>Needs a few minutes to warm-up or else you can knock him back into a billion year slumber with an object proportionally the size of a pebble
Lovecraft's pantheon is supposed to be composed of beings beyond the limits all human imagination and yet he couldn't come up with something that's even as powerful or complex as a deity in any given mainstream religion.
>>
>>80752132
This brings up another point though: this nigga would be terrifying IRL, but any depictions behind the wall of a movie/tv screen's lack of immersion would kill any sense of horror.
Take Yamishibai, for example. The first season was all about the atmosphere, and they did an excellent job of horror despite the paper-puppet aesthetic. But they ruined it by the third season by having every episode's "horror" based around some cartoon monster.
But when most people want a "lovecraft adaptation" they don't want the atmosphere, they want something like Cthulu
>>
File: frenzy.gif (87KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
frenzy.gif
87KB, 480x270px
>>80782007
what does it feel like to start getting frenzied?
>>
>>80781822
when Persona 5 gets a PC release
>>
it's possible and i have an idea about how to do it. it'd be pretty crazy, avante garde, experimental, abstract, elaborate.

basically you'd have to represent the monsters with complete modality shifts of basic things. it's hard to describe.

imagine a scene where the MC is walking through his living room. the lights go off for a second, and then come back on for a second, and then, everything but his body goes dark for a second. he looks around in fear at this. then all the lights, lamps, etc, in the room, begin changing to alternate lamps, suddenly, the light flashing and dancing. meaningless, arbitrary, unknowable, purposeless, terrifying. then nothing. he keeps quiet about this in order ot not bee considered insane, and then meets weird people a few minutes later. strange disturbances, from the banal to the infernal, drive him across town where things seem less and less like earth. and then it stops and his wife says, why did you walk into town? he makes some shit up.

things are normal for a week. and then while he's teaching at the local community college, the students just disappear out of his room. the doors are locked. he see's something hinting at a cosmic monster. he wakes up in his bed and the day starts over.

that's still pretty high level. sometimes things would distort on the geometical or color level. but the main thing is that the meaningless creep of realities dissolution as his mind is opened to the spiralling infinities beyond which we are blessed not to wonder, ignorant in peace of the eldricht span which man must not ken if he wishes to be sane, and more visceral horrors which involve the plot that drags this man to damnation through his inexorable fascination with some siren piping from beyond the abyss of the stars, through some horrible regional underbelly of damp, rotting sickness that has mouldered in this town for centuries, perhaps before white man came here... perhaps before red man came here.
>>
>>80782055

a realistic lovecraft game wouldn't be possible to beat.
>>
>>80749744
It's not too scary to adapt. It's that the general movie audience don't care about cosmicism to be scared of it.
>>
>>80782275
the MC would have to acquire patronage of an Old One to fight other cosmic terrors, you can combat the forces of the cosmos if you have cosmic backing of your own
>>
>>80749947
This is some well crafted bait, nicely done
>>
>>80782334

no, there could be no possible good outcome. there could be no escape. a realistic lovecraft video game would send a message to the dev HQ, before making the playstation somehow melt the disk, releasing weapons grade hallucinogens into your house, driving you mostly insane before the squad dispatched by Ubisoft arrives dressed in horrible grotesque costumes and torture you and your family to death while you're tripping balls.
>>
>>80782275
>wouldn't be possible to beat
Wouldn't be possible to stay awake. You'd spend 80% of the game going through notes of some offscreen character. Then digging though the in-game library and researching some more.
>>
>>80782459

yeah you'd do that for a very unrewarding 2 hours before

>>80782446

this happens.
>>
>>80782055
I remember Azathoth being a copy of the Indian god of death.
>>
>>80782586

naw. azathoth is the nuclear chaos. the border-being that seperates the euclidian universe as we know it from the undifferentiated insanity that lies without.

“...that last amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the centre of all infinity—the boundless daemon-sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin, monotonous whine of accursed flutes; to which detestable pounding and piping dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic ultimate gods, the blind, voiceless, tenebrous, mindless Other Gods whose soul and messenger is the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep.” (The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath) (the most under-rated tale of his)
>>
File: 9780312868666.jpg (236KB, 662x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9780312868666.jpg
236KB, 662x1000px
>That comfy feel when you're tracking eldritch subterranean monstrosities with a seismometer

I really liked those books, though I still need to finish them. They could be well adapted methink.
>>
>>80782237
good shit
>>
>>80782769
Then which one is the copy of the Indian god of death.
The one that when he wakes up the whole universe goes to the shitter.
>>
lovecraft was a shit writer so no
>>
>>80782931

i suppose you could say most all of them are gods of death since the beings from beyond are simply incompatible with mans existence and we're alive only because they don't notice us.

you can make correspondences between lovecraftian entities and more classical supernatural beings, and it's a fine exercise to expand your imagination, but in reality lovecraftian mythical beings are all so spun the fuck out you might as well feed a yogi a couple grams of meth and hear what he has to say as try and make good orderly sense of it.
>>
>>80782793
pure trash, with an horrendous style; I read all his books, and it was painless chore. Immature pulp lit, in a bad way, R.L.Stine-tier.
>>
>>80782995

he was brilliant in the sort of way that is absolutely inimitable and irreplaceable. there will never be anyone that can do what lovecraft did and as such his works are a precious resource of the imagination. just because you don't enjoy reading or engaging with his fantasies doesn't mean it's 'bad writing'. it's unique and requires a bit of attention span and imagination on your own part.
>>
>>80781945
until we find intelligent life elsewhere, yes we are the center of the universe. Now go fondle carl sagan's balls
>>
>>80749744
>dude unspeakable horror lmao
I fucking love Lovecraft, but unadaptable simply because there is nothing to adapt. Unless you took a bunch of no name actors and tortured them psychologically for a week. Hmm...
>>
>>80754819
h-his wife was though
>>
>>80755095
that's hilarious.
>>
File: Aboriginal Skull Comparison.jpg (18KB, 320x303px) Image search: [Google]
Aboriginal Skull Comparison.jpg
18KB, 320x303px
>>80783184
>An ET a billion light years away has typed the exact same thing.
Really makes me think.
>>
>>80780673
>It was not intended to be Lovecraftian.
yeah fucking right.
>>
I can see a few of his stories being made into short films, maybe even animated films to enable greater flexibility in tone and expression. Only a few of his stories are the right combination of interesting, short enough and simple enough to be made into short films though: The Hound, The Picture in the House, FCtLAJaHF etc.
>>
>>80757007
what was the fat slob at the end?
>>
>>80783963
MY BENIS XDXDXDXD :D
>>
File: DEADSLOWAHEAD.jpg (101KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
DEADSLOWAHEAD.jpg
101KB, 1280x854px
it would work if it was made like pic related. It has the Lovecraftian atmosphere but with an ominous ship instead. Really slow and contemplative, mesh it with 2001-like sequences, minimal plot and I'm sold. You could even make sequences like these >>80768138 >>80752120 with wide 5 minutes long shots of giant octopuses in space while playing a loud ominous organ. Fund me and I'll do it.
>>
>>80764391
great film familia
>>
>>80779325
this movie is so fucking underrated
>>
The thing that made Lovecraft's stories so effective is how he put devoted so much effort to making the story's setting believable and immersive. By the time you got to the part of the story where freaky shit goes down, you have settled into a fairly comfy setting that feels like it could plausibly be real life. It doesn't feel like a setting for a horror story; it feels like America circa 1930. That's what makes it so unsettling some extradimensional alien shows up
>>
more like too vague to portray
>>
>>80770865
>The Thing of the idols

There, he's avoiding redundancy by repeating the description from earlier.
>>
>>80749947
Stick to your YA "books" you faggot
>>
>>80762899
that's sad, I wanted this movie to be really gud
>>
>>80749744
Hard to put what's written into visuals when it's so psychological.

Not to mention what made Lovecraft scary has been normalized now by athiesm and modern philosophy.

That being said, Bloodborne did a good job, but again, it was a first person story. Not a film.
>>
>>80777257
it would be really cool if they actually used spatial 4D modelling techniques to create this sort of effect in CGI

shit would appear literally in the middle of a room with no explanation, since they're offset on an axis we can't even perceive

if a 4D being wanted to kill a human they'd just poke the brain from the inside and they'd be dead
>>
>>80761076
Agree with this guy's recommendations. Dagon is one of favorites and read it within one high-school period.
>>
File: Blue.gif (23KB, 548x1874px) Image search: [Google]
Blue.gif
23KB, 548x1874px
>>80749744

Won't translate to film.
>>
File: IMG_1886.jpg (147KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1886.jpg
147KB, 1920x1080px
>>
why not make a anamation movie about that lone penguin walking towards the mountains ready to do battle with chuthulu
>>
File: thessalhydra.jpg (44KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
thessalhydra.jpg
44KB, 618x412px
Stranger Things is about to deliver some lovecraftkino on October 31st, 2017.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqNdbHHWtBc

Found this a while ago
>>
>>80749781
2nd post best post. Only Borges got it right.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.