[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a functioning alcoholic as awesome as Mad Men makes it look?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: don-draper.jpg (732KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
don-draper.jpg
732KB, 1280x800px
Is being a functioning alcoholic as awesome as Mad Men makes it look?
>>
>>80710513
I became one shortly after finishing up the series. I sure hope so. I'm very close.
>>
If making yourself miserable until you get cucked twice and ends up as a no namer hippie is awesome, then yes.
>>
>>80710513
Almost always ends in serious dysfunction. Loss of memory and cognition. Alcohol can reignite brain activity after a couple drinks but it deteriorates detrimentally there after.
>>
>>80710513

>Not training yourself to never get used to the effects of beer so that a couple of pints will always to the trick.

Maybe a shot of whiskey at the weekend but that's it
>>
>>80710513

>Ruining your live one facade at a time
>Awesome

K
>>
>>80711112

>Ruining my sentence one misspelling at a time
>Also, samefag
>>
>>80710904
This is known as a state dependent learning window
>>
>>80710996
That's called having a healthy liver.
If you know someone that boasts about being able to take alcohol and getting minimaly drunk, alert them. It might be a sign of liver failure and cirrhosis kills.
>>
>>80710904
This desu. People underestimate how much alcohol fucks with your brain. It's the worst part of the addiction imo; turning into a complete retard with no short term memory or ability to form Abstract thought in a meaningful way.

I'd imagine the guys at Wall St in the 60s did drink a lot but it was mostly a nip here and there when visiting each others offices and it got blown out of proportion by people who weren't used to that kind of environment telling tall tales afterwards.
>>
"Functioning alcoholism" is a meme that alchys tell themselves.
>>
>>80710811
>ends up as a no namer hippie

I mean it's pretty heavily implied he went back to work and made that Coke ad. I seriously doubt he'd be doing yoga on a cliff for the rest of his life. Probably went back, got re-instated as partner, started smoking more weed and drinking less, and did some more work before retiring to cali and banging recently divorced housewives.
>>
ITT: a bunch of fucking pussies
I've been drinking for 25 years, just don't do it every day and take a break if you know you're going too far.
>>
>>80711214
>>80711249
>>80711288
>Not having long periods of abstinence and then drinking yourself until you pass out
It's super fun AND non-damaging
>>
>>80711365
I didn't get that implication at all. Maybe I'm remembering it poorly, I might watch the last episodes again to clear that up.
>>
>>80711442
>AND non-damaging
Keep thinking like that and you'll be posting from the morgue.
>>
>>80711442
You sound no different than a heroin junkie right now senpai
>>
>>80711214
>cirrhosis kills.
I see no negative.
>>
>>80710513
> regular alcoholics are no functional
I'm going to disagree with you there
I function just fine
>>
What seems so awesome about it? Don is constantly shown to be sad, uncertain, anxious and just all around miserable.
>>
>>80711618
I'm that anyway. I could at least be drunk at the same time.
>>
>>80710513
The show seems extremely boring but I have ADHD so whatever
>>
>>80711667
It's a soap opera for neckbeards and other pseudo intellectuals.
>>
>>80711445

Although Weiner DID leave it up for your own interpretation, he later said in an interview that he thought it was obvious that Don went back to make the Coke ad, and that he [probably] didn't create it with the cynical take most people assume he would have, but that he was genuinely changed for the better somehow by his experience at the Esalen-esque retreat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIUjqVHUvA
Not the clip where he says it outright, but I think it is in this same NYPL interview somewhere. Don't have time to hunt it down right now.
>>
>>80711641
Yeah, I am as well. Drinking doesn't really make it better though. Yeah, if you stay drunk all the time, it might get rid of the anxiety, but after a while, you'll get more depressed than you ever thought imagineable.
>>
>>80711799
Thanks, I'll look into it and at least rewatch the last episode.
>>
Advertising agencies are nowhere as great as they were even only 10 years ago.
>>
Go on /ck/ and read the alcoholic generals if you want to see what life is like as an alcoholic. You'll think twice
>>
>>80711249
What the fuck are you talking about? Literally the opposite is true. Regular drinking causing brain damage is largely a myth. The only thing that actually has been shown to fuck your brain is very extreme binge drinking (ie multi-day benders).
>>
define functioning. my mother goes to work every day but nearly every night I end up mopping her off the floor and throwing her on the couch and asking her if she ate

I pity her behaviour but not her because she once said something along the lines of "I don't want to live" and I understood her, cuz she lost nearly all her family to cancer then the dumb bitch got it a year ago and had her tubes cut out

alcohol romanticizing is fucking bad tl;dr. same with misery and depression. leave it for people who have no problems in lifeto romanticize
>>
File: 1404278576353.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1404278576353.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
do 2-3 beers a day already have long-term negative effects on my health?
>>
>>80710513
ask liam peeson
>>
>>80711382
>just don't do it every day

I thought we were talking about alcoholics?
>>
>>80714555
Fucking this. Marketing has been destroyed by social media.
>>
>>80715774
No. Some studies even suggest the possibility of positive effects.
>>
>>80710513
>awesome
I don't know about that m8, they made it look pretty bad a bunch of times
>>
>>80716096
i'll just take the word of a random anon on 4chan for granted. brb getting myself a beer
>>
>>80714555
trips of truth, nowadays marketing is using stale memes on twitter
>>
>>80715987
>>80716409
And most Lions are shit.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.