[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Movies that were severely misunderstood and are actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

ITT: Movies that were severely misunderstood and are actually great.

Pic related is the best piece of social commentary of the decade
>>
Agree, Whats funny is the people who its is parodying are the ones who the marketing was geared to
>>
>>80662507
what was the social commentary?
>>
>>80662615
This desu

>>80662739
It was an examination and indictment of millennial and our fucking awful culture
>>
>>80662814
elaborate
>>
/r/iamverysmart
>>
>>80662507
I liked this movie, but my friends thought it was shit and laughed at me. Then I told them I didn't like it that much, but I really do. I'm such a fag.
>>
>>80662841
I don't think saying you understood a movie is claiming to be super smart or anything. Spring Breakers isn't hard to get, but because of the misguided marketing campaign a lot of people thought it was something other than what it was
>>
>>80662507
I think Fight Club falls in this category. Most of people I know that claim it's their favorite film only watched clips of the fight scenes on youtube. One of them didn't even know Tyler and Narrator are the same person.
>>
>>80663586
Even beyond that, the movie is actually really critical of Tyler's personality his ideals. The people that quote Tyler and idolise him are the sort of people the movie is calling idiots
>>
File: 99876.gif (2MB, 406x288px) Image search: [Google]
99876.gif
2MB, 406x288px
>>80662873
>I liked this movie, but my friends thought it was shit and laughed at me. Then I told them I didn't like it that much, but I really do. I'm such a fag.
You disgust me anon.
>>
File: Into-the-wild.jpg (33KB, 300x442px) Image search: [Google]
Into-the-wild.jpg
33KB, 300x442px
>>80662507
This wasn't a tragic story about someone going into the world and finding themselves. It was a story about a guy who was searching for something unattainable and passing up a myriad of great opportunities and eventually dying in a very preventable way. Chris was an idiot. Not someone to be admired. And the movie tells you this but people don't seem to pay attention to that part of it
>>
>>80664244
That's my point. It is a favorite movie in my gym and they even have a poster of Tyler,yet no one of them knows who is Ed Norton and that he is the main character. I am serious when I say they only watched the fight scenes.
>>
>>80664331
>It is a favorite movie in my gym
why do you need to go to the gym anon?
>>
>>80664388
I don't need to go to the gym,I go there because I like it there,there are people to talk to,it's always open and I got buff.
>>
File: speed_racer.jpg (38KB, 510x755px) Image search: [Google]
speed_racer.jpg
38KB, 510x755px
>>
File: Batman_v_Superman.jpg (124KB, 257x380px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_v_Superman.jpg
124KB, 257x380px
>>
>>80664321
The people living there apparently agree with you.
>>
>>80662910

Spring Breakers isn't hard to get. It's just not worth getting. It seems profound to people in their teens and no one else.
>>
>>80662507
I've never even heard of this movie prior to seeing /tv/ praise the hell out of it. I'm going to assume it's some artsy fartsy shit but probably not bad.
>>
>>80664766
Not great but definitely misunderstood. At least the Martha part which was the thing they were bashing it for. There were like 50 more stupid things in the movie more stupid than that.
>>
>>80664845
shut up kid
>>
File: 1315452455345.jpg (202KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1315452455345.jpg
202KB, 717x880px
>>80664852
>Not great
>>
>>80664743

this is actually kino, I wish racing was like that in real life
>>
>>80664865
I'm not seeing any disagreement with my assumption....
>>
>>80664873
Not great doesn't mean bad. Its not the kino that people 'don't get' but its not any worse than the majority of the boring MCU movies. Just your average capeshit, with a grimdark setting instead of the unfunny Disney quips.
>>
Korine only makes masterpieces
>>
spring breakers is hard to get because the entire film, everything in it, is just a metaphor for the internal struggle of the average person between nihilism and meaning.
Once you look at through this lens it changes everything. The "social commentary" thing isn't it's foundation. It's a metaphysical thing played out in the physical.
>>
>>80664321
I saw this with my family, and my father loved it with a sense of nostalgia that took him back to his youth when he was hitchhiking and shit. But all I saw was a guy who refused to fuck kstew and died all alone like a dumbass. It's not a bad movie though.
>>
>>80662615
it isn't just a parody though. It simultaneously appreciates while critiques the pursuit of pleasure.
>>
>>80662615
I bet Korine laughed his ass off constantly at the thought of plebs going to see this in the cinema and being utterly baffled.
>>
>>80664887
there isn't any point trying to discuss a movie with a dumb kid who hasn't see it, especially one on an excursion from reddit.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUNx5_UBbI
>>
>>80664917
Trash Humpers was tedious even at its length
>>
The Bling Ring is 100 times better
>>
>>80662507
You first this movie is for brainlet millenials like >>80662615
>>
>>80662507
it wasnt trying to be ironic though
>>
>>80665196
That looks horrible
>>
>>80664743
the first 10-15 minutes of this film are absolutely nauseating, pure garbage. the rest of the movie is great but i can understand how people start watching it, gets a bad taste in their mouth and don't recover from it.
wish i saw it in the cinema 2bh.
>>
>>80665087

I bet he wanked his dick like he did while filming all of his crappy pretentious perverted films
>>
>>80665566
you might be completely valid in calling him perverted but I don't really understand how you can call him pretentious.
>>
>>80665133
Or you can't deny that it is artsy fartsy.
>>
File: pleb.jpg (16KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
pleb.jpg
16KB, 225x225px
>>80665260
I'm sure it is. Let me guess, it's up there with ballet shoes and colonia right?
>>
>>80662507
I didn't "get" Spring Breakers. It was too boring and not gratuitous enough to be a simple dude spring break lmao flick aimed at teens. But as a satire of millenial "culture" it's simply not kino enough, there isn't anything smart about it. Its the movie version of a normie coming to r9k and thinking he is so much better than them, yet he fails to get any (You)'s with his superior intellect and life experiences.
>>
>>80664845
It's pretty artsy but it's worth a look. Whether you like it or not, it's an interesting film
>>
>>80664917
Gummo is my single least favourite film of all time
>>
>>80664833
whats a movie you find profound anon?
>>
>>80665798
that reminds me of someone in this very thread and it's not you
>>
>>80662507
What social commentary?
I just watched it to watch scantily clad Disney waifus!
>>
>>80662507
It wasn't misunderstood. It was just bad.
>>
His work is as misunderstood as Human Centipede and A Serbian Film.
>>
>>80662507
>actually great

No I still stand by the fact that this movie really isn't that great. It's not awful, but too many say it's near masterpiece.
>>
>>80662507
>repeating the same shitty lines over and over again 100 million times
BRILLIANT
>>
>>80666974
wait but if you have shit dialogue, and you have the track repeated over and over again, and a gunshot noise everytime you jump cut, your movie is awesome

Oh and hot girls lol!
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.