[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MKV vs. MP4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: mkv-vs-mp4-zh-061601.png (42KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
mkv-vs-mp4-zh-061601.png
42KB, 317x159px
So I just wanted to get myself a movie and noticed it is in .mp4 format

What format do you guys typically use? Almost all of my movies are in MKV (about 5-10gb per movie). Of course it's nowhere near the Bluray versions of the movies I have but whatever

Also, if you have a 5gb mp4 file and a 5gb mkv file, is the quality the same? Sorry for the pleb question but since I am used to MKV, I have no idea what the actual differences are
>>
>>80622427
.avi
>>
they're usually the same encoder anyway. the only difference is the container.
so no it doesn't matter
>>
>>80622444

kek. I remember having a shit ton of .avi movies back in the Kazaa days. Thought the quality was excellent
>>
>>80622471

that's what I gathered from my google research.

I know it's just containers but I always felt like the quality of mp4 was slightly weaker. maybe it's just my brain playing tricks on me

thanks for the advice dude

also, general question: how big are the movies you actually keep (for rewatches etc)?
>>
I'm sticking with mpg
>>
rmvb
>>
xvid is the only way to fly
>>
>>80622427
I prefer MKV only because I can drop other bits of information, alternate audio, subtitles etc into the container without much effort.
>>
>>80622762

are most TVs even able to play that format? to me it's like the best formats for all-round usage are MKV and MP4 (if you want a somewhat decent quality)

>>80622982

>I can drop other bits of information, alternate audio, subtitles etc into the container without much effort.

that was actually one of the reasons why I made this thread. it's mentioned everywhere but I have the Lord of the Ring trilogy in mp4 with two audio tracks and two subtitles even though many websites mention you can only do that with MKV
>>
>>80622495
I have a whole shelf filled with DVD-R's with 700mb movies from 2002-2010
>>
>>80623323

I have pretty many too. what a fucking waste of CDs I could have filled with all kinds of other stuff
>>
>>80623443
I also have a lot of CDs and DVDs with .mp3 music, .cbr/.cbz digital comics, ebooks and photos from the same decade.
>>
>>80623591

I have all kinds of music on cds but I have the same shit on my harddrive too. fuck, I should get over it and just throw all that stuff away in order to save some space
>>
>>80622427
Doesn't matter usually if its not anime.

Difference is subtitle format. MP4 I believe used hard coded subtitles most of the time, therefore if the video is low res, subtitles have artifacts.

As long as both use h264 and are at reasonable bit rate, its fundamentally same quality (exception with subtitles).
>>
>>80622427
The container doesn't matter, it's the encoder that matters.
>>
>>80624908
This.

You can use HEVC x265 to encode a 1gb mkv down to 300mb and not lose quality.

Mkv is just the newest most popular format atm.
>>
File: 887845654656.jpg (118KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
887845654656.jpg
118KB, 360x360px
x265 is the future
>>
>>80624972
>mkv is the newest
MKV has been used for atleast a decade or so. Its even older than that on anime scene.
>>
>>80624908
container matters, in the sense that you can add subtitles, alternate scenes, costume fonts, and a ton of other bullshit to an mkv, while mp4 only supports basic audio and video.
>>
>>80625163
He said the newest mot popular. To my best of knowledge he's not wrong. After mp4 and avi it seems like mkv is the newest most used standard container.
>>
>>80625237
>container matters, in the sense that you can add subtitles, alternate scenes, costume fonts, and a ton of other bullshit to an mkv
Not in the context the OP set, which is the picture quality. The container has fuckall to do with the type of compression, provided it supports the latest codecs. It doesn't matter unless you're using .avi for some reason, which severely limits the type of codecs you can use.
>>
MKV is more likely to have been encoded by somebody who cares. MP4 is more likely to have been encoded by somebody putting in the minimum effort needed to not get fired.
>>
>>80623591
>>80623443
i still got ~50 floppy 1.44"
>>
>>80624972
>You can use HEVC x265 to encode a 1gb mkv down to 300mb and not lose quality.

how does this work?
>>
>>80628871
It doesn't, lossy transcoding always loses quality.
>>
>>80622444
This
Also should be under 700 mb
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.