[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I finally watched this movie /tv/. What did I think of it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

So I finally watched this movie /tv/. What did I think of it?
>>
>>80609115
no
>>
>>80609136
maybe
>>
>>80609146
i don't know
>>
File: ddd.jpg (176KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
ddd.jpg
176KB, 857x1202px
Jenkins has some skill in getting performances from his actors, but as a storyteller and cinematic craftsman, on the basis of this movie he's amateurish. This movie, like Boyhood, didn't really have anything to say. The boy is uninteresting and remains so as a teen and young man, and the sensitive mounting of the issue of his sexuality doesn't inherently make the movie more valuable as an artistic endeavor.

The film is just fundamentally a weak story that's being overly commended because of its managing to present characters not frequently portrayed onscreen (a decent man who's a successful drug dealer, a black inner-city youth with homosexual leanings, a bad mother who's not a monster, etc. - all very interesting potentially, but not so much in the service of drama this mundane and superficially developed).
>>
>>80609096
Redpilled af
Honestly

Not a single white person in the movie to blame. Black community is shit and fucks itself, father figures are drug dealers who destroy mothers who then fuck up kids who then chimp out and go to prison then become drug dealers themselves all while fucking up the honest conception of masculinity, regressing into violent homophobia, and repeating the same damaging cycle.

The bully with dreads Terrel is talking to Kevin and is like "yo remember that white kid you fucked up a while back?" and Kevin responds "Oh yeah, I fucked that guy up, but he wasn't white he was Cuban"
Redpilled AF; Terrel, the instigator and actor of homophobic chimp out violence is portrayed as a stupid racist who is so stoked on white people getting beat up, he can't even keep track if they're actually white.
>>
Good, but didn't live up to potential. Something's missing about this movie that makes it an instant classic but you don't know why
>>
>>80609187
>his movie, like Boyhood, didn't really have anything to say.
You're fucking retarded if you honestly think that about Moonlight or Boyhood.
And yes, that is a valid argument form.

Of course Chiron's sexuality lends intrinsic artistic value to the movie. It is unexplored narrative territory, with a completely different relational objective relative to the presumably majority straight audience.
>>
>>80609267
Tbh I thought it was going to be a white guilt film because there was a black guy as the main character, does that make me bad?
It was surprisingly decent.
>>
>>80609096
It's literally "muh nigger opression gay propaganda": the movie.

Fuck this oscarbait trash.
>>
>>80609441
Watch the movie m8

Literally 0 White People. I don't even recall them being named anytime in the movie
>>
>>80609422
By most academically accepted ethical theories, and by the common ethical sense of most rational individuals, a simple expectant thought can not in and of itself be an object of some moral distinction, and thus the thinker of said thought cannot be described in moral terms based on their thinking of that thought alone.

I thought it was going to be a white guilt movie as well, and it was basically the opposite.
>>
>>80609362
>being a tripfag
Filtered.
>>
>>80609441
You really didn't get it. I watched the movie with a whole group of SJW leftys and even they were surprised how basically the film focuses on blaming the black community.

On a serious note, can anyone explain or offer an analysis of the comfy light colors that flash in between the acts?

Reds and blues?
>>
>>80609096
I'd actually wanted to see how did he end up being a jacked up successful gangsta in the third act. The whole process intrigues me, but I guess that wasn't the point of the movie.
>>
>>80609528
Your loss mong.
>>
>>80609589
They were like the police colours right? Letting you know he ended up in Juvenile Detention. Maybe commenting on some kind of inevitability because of his situation.
>>
>>80609605
It baffles me how fucking stupid most of /tv/ is.
The movie literally spoon feeds you the process of him becoming a jacked successful drug dealer gangster. That literally is the point.
His shitty upbringing and the culture of the black community he was "raised" in created Chiron. A hollow facade of an individual, sexually, emotionally, and existentially repressed.

Shitty ass homophobic NAP violating dickhead Terrel (probably also drug addict mom, the difference is just that he isn't gay or his mom is even worse than Little's) attacks Black, then Black/Chiron/Little chimps out and goes to jail.
>>
>>80609160
Can you repeat the question?
>>
>>80609640
They weren't red and blue at the same time though. If I remember correctly the movie started with blue, between the 1st and 2nd act was red, and between the 2nd and 3rd act was blue again?
Also the color blue has something to do with the quote from Juan (drug dealer father figure) that the old cuban lady told him when he was a kid about moonlight, blue, and "being yourself".
>>
>>80609096
The bit at the start where he's getting chased literally fucking triggered me. I used to get picked on all the time for being gay, even when I didn't know it. Luckily I'd repressed enough by the time i got to High School that no one could tell. Shit really fucked me up.
>>
>>80609822
I think it went blue-blue-red actually
>>
>>80609714
They don't 'show' it tho
>>
>>80609714
The film is obviously supposed to be about him coming to terms with his sexuality. The only reason you can read it in your way is because the film is basically flawed, like >>80609187
says.

Chiron is a shitty husk of a character. He's 3 different stereotypes throughout the film and not a single one of them is interesting or worth telling a story about. And he's not written like this to explain the vapidity and idiocy of the culture, he's written like this because the guy who wrote it is a shitty writer. There's plenty of evidence that the film is trying to be about being comfortable with your sexuality and identity (like the entire last act).
>>
>>80609187
Gotta give him credit, all of his casting choices were spot on. Even Harris.

That same can't be said about Linklater
>>
>>80609187
>This movie, like Boyhood, didn't really have anything to say

What did you want? Chiron to stand up after sucking down a load and proclaiming "NOW I AM BECOME MOONLIGHT"
>>
>>80610554
This is some real reddit tier humor
>>
>>80609728
what?
>>
>>80609714
None of this was interesting or new. Filtered.
>>
>>80609096
good but you didn't understand some of it
>>
>>80611242
you are such a pleb
>>
>>80609187
>this shitty pasta again

There doesn't need to be a "deep message" to every movie you watch in order for it to be good. This is high school level criticism.
>>
It was artsy fartsy and boring
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.