[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fucking fuck did this movie not get nominated to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18

File: silence-liam-neeson[1].jpg (25KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
silence-liam-neeson[1].jpg
25KB, 640x360px
How the fucking fuck did this movie not get nominated to the Best Picture? This is disgusting. Someone nuke Jewllywood already
>>
Because it's shit lol
>>
>>80590281
Spotted the pleb
>>
>>80590240
'Cause it wasn't about:

>Hollywood sucking its own dick
>biopic of Oinkel Schmekelstein
>empowered womyn/POCs
>>
>>80590240
No niggers
Catholics priests aren't pedos
>>
>>80590327
More like spotted the Jew
>>
I wasn't entertained.
Shit story.
Shit acting.
should have edited out an hour of filler from an already boring script.
>>
>>80590469
Go back to your capeshit thread.
>>
File: silence-movie-image-1[1].jpg (71KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
silence-movie-image-1[1].jpg
71KB, 600x400px
It has Japanese Jack Sparrow
>>
>>80590240
Because it was long, boring, and while maybe not pretentious there really wasn't enough substance for the film to justify its sheer length and repetition 'muh suffering'.

Maybe if I was a lapsed Catholic I would have actually felt something, but as someone who isn't religious I found this film reeeeaally disappointing.
>>
Cause Piam Peeson pissed his pants in public, padre.
>>
If the film had been made in the 70s it would have won. People want shitty action packed 1 and a half hour long films now,
>>
>>80590240

honestly we'd be much better off if someone nuked /pol/ and all you faggots were vaporized
>>
>>80590682
That's just being pleb.
I'm agnostic and I loved it.
>>
>>80590820
Hello, newfriend.

4chan did get rid of /pol/ once. The result was a mass exodus of faggots bleeding out into other boards. They can keep their containment board/safe space/echo chamber. It's really all they have.
>>
>>80590836
I didn't really see what was to love. Andrew Garfield's acting was perfectly fine, but I really just failed to give a shit about his struggle.
Did you not find the story a bit shallow:
>Muh conflict between dogma and what feels truly just and moral
>Waahh, god won't talk to me!

What was the fucking point of it all?
>>
>>80590682
FENCES WAS LONG AND BORING AND IT GOT NOMINATED. IT WAS THE MOST BORING FILM I'VE WATCHED IN THE LAST YEARS. YET IT GOT NOMINATED, ONLY BECAUSE IT HAS B*L*C* PEOPLE
>>
>>80590964
>It's really all they have
Oh is that why /tv/ and other boards are effectively /pol/-lite?
Deleting it would backfire but enforcing bans for off topic political shit outside of it would be the way to go.
But Hiro is too fucking useless to do it.
>>
>>80591175
I haven't seen Fences, and to be honest I wasn't defending the Oscars committees choices. I more just wanted vent about the 2 and a half hours I spent watching an incredibly dull film.
>>
>>80590836
Agnostic what?

You're not one of those imbeciles who still thinks Agnosticism is a middle-man/mutually-exclusive... right?

Please, tell me you aren't.
>>
>>80591176
4chan is essentially /pol/-lite. People calling each other niggers is just board culture. If that offends you, there's a place you can go and down vote every opinion that hurts your fee fees.
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 640x505px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 640x505px
Too much religion and not enough money, sex and violence for the ADD crowd. Critics couldn't decide if the right people were being demonized.
>>
File: 1417849515925.jpg (1MB, 2914x1364px) Image search: [Google]
1417849515925.jpg
1MB, 2914x1364px
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/oscar-voter-reveals-her-brutally-honest-ballot-meryl-streep-like-a-clown-la-la-land-not-memora/item/best-picture-brutally-honest-ballot-977467

>I decided not to go with Hacksaw Ridge, and not because of anything to do with Mel Gibson's personal problems — even though I'm Jewish.

>I hated the German movie [Toni Erdmann] so much because it was so shticky — Germans are not funny!

>Silence had beautiful photography, but I hated that movie so much, with all the Christian stuff beating me over the head — I mean, c’mon, Marty [Scorsese, its director]!

>The Star Trek [Beyond] DVD they sent me stopped halfway through — something was wrong with it — so I called them and asked them to send me another, but they never did, so that eliminated them!

Reminder that is the Oscars. Old Jewish female plebs, judging technical fields like editing etc they know nothing about, watching the movies on timestamped DVD (not even bluray, in current year ffs) instead of in a fucking theater, with no argument beyond "I liked this one because it was good, but this one was bad", though their strong jew-centered bias.
>>
File: issey.jpg (21KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
issey.jpg
21KB, 640x426px
*giggles*
>>
>dude why are we being persecuted lmao??

>at the same time christians are torturing people for not being christian
>>
>>80590240
>Oscars
>going to good movies

lol
>>
File: silence.jpg (12KB, 405x300px) Image search: [Google]
silence.jpg
12KB, 405x300px
>>80590782
>If the film had been made in the 70s it would have won.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silence_(1971_film)
>>
Because, honestly, it's just not that good. I really wanted to like this. I dig historical epics a lot, enjoy Jap history and culture, but this was somewhat of a subpar performance from Scorsese.
>>
File: silence-shusaku-endo.jpg (605KB, 1400x2065px) Image search: [Google]
silence-shusaku-endo.jpg
605KB, 1400x2065px
>>80591170
>story a bit shallow
I think its a great story desu.
Define shallow or maybe give some examples of "shallow stories"
>>
>>80591853
But that's the crowning irony. Read about the leaders of the Inquisition, and then compare and contrast them with the Inquisitor in 'Silence'. It really does allude to the fact that this is a complicated issue. If the Jesuits had succeeded in Japan, would the executions continue under a different religious banner?
>>
>>80591327
>middle-man/mutually-exclusive
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>80590240
kek ain't lame nii-san a muhslim?
>>
i thought it was visually beautiful and very stirring. its a great portrayal of what it means to be a religious minority
>>
>>80590240

>3 films about and directed by black people get best picture nomnations
>SJWs complain that every other minority out there wasn't represented this year
>Oscars didn't nominate a movie about Portuguese missionaries going to Japan, directed by a fucking legendary director
>instead they nominated Lion which literally nobody saw or cared about

What did the Oscars mean by this?
>>
>>80591933
how was it bad? It had beautiful photography, the story IS interesting(but slow, which isn't necessarily a bad thing)
>>
Because it was miscast as fuck. Would have been so much better with different main actors.
>>
>>80591767
Calling each others niggers has nothing to do with off topic political shit.
Fuck off back to r/thedonald, newcancer.
>>
>>80591831
Those are some nice cherry picked blurbs, guy. If you actually read her full responses, though, her train of thought is sound and easy to follow. She even calls out all the pandering Oscar bait and proclaims Hell Or High Water MOTY, which it was.
>>
>>80592102
>its a complicated issue

it really isn't.
>>
>>80590240
Because the acting was shit desu
>>
Are you really blaming the jews when they gave six nominations (and won two) to the movie directed by hollywood's premier antisemite?

The distributor didn't market this movie at all, neither to the audience nor to the academy, only the critics cared and mostly because that's their job. Scorsese should refrain from ever writing a script, Rodrigo Prieto was the only one who deserved the praise and he got it.
>>
File: 1476777196773.jpg (262KB, 992x658px) Image search: [Google]
1476777196773.jpg
262KB, 992x658px
>Muh Jewllywood
>movie stars a Jewish actor

wewlad
>>
File: reallymakesthenoggintingle.png (156KB, 750x285px) Image search: [Google]
reallymakesthenoggintingle.png
156KB, 750x285px
>>80591831
I agree! This critically acclaimed movie that stars a Jewish actor is the victim of a Jewish conspiracy!

And WTF there are too many Jews represented in Hollywood! We need more quotas for diversity and shit.
>>
>>80592869
Hi shlomo
>>
>>80591971
Well the whole film with essentially built around that priests inner struggle and turmoil, i know a lot of shit was happening around him - suffering that he could not prevent of innocent people just for their faith - but all of it was viewed in terms of why is god letting this happen, is it really moral for me to allow other to suffer because I won't renounce my faith, is god really there? The priests inner questions and what they mean more generally about faith are what this film is about.

Maybe the book portrayed it better, but to be honest, I actually don't think these questions are that interesting, and the only answer I could personally come up with is that all of this suffering was pointless and avoidable had it not been brought on people by religion. And the film then didn't even let us taken that away as message because of the part towards the end where the priest did hear the voice of Jesus, and that weird coda at the end where he essentially apostatizes but then is revealed to have kept faith in secret.

Maybe shallow isn't the right word, but the film's whole approach to what could potentially be really interesting questions about faith and morality ended up being quite muddled, and frankly quite dull.

If you'd like to tell me the parts of this film you yourself found enjoyable or insightful, i'd be genuinely happy to get some clarity on what others see in this feel.
I can't help but think I might have felt differently if I was religious myself
>>
File: masterrace2.jpg (37KB, 420x342px) Image search: [Google]
masterrace2.jpg
37KB, 420x342px
>>80592944
hi neckbeard

Reminder that it's not Jews fault that you're a hideous neckbeard virgin. It's because you're ugly, socially awkward, and unemployed
>>
File: Silence-1-1[1].png (399KB, 800x446px) Image search: [Google]
Silence-1-1[1].png
399KB, 800x446px
Why did they give him such gook teeth?
>>
>>80592102
>>80592102
>If the Jesuits had succeeded in Japan, would the executions continue under a different religious banner?

Considering the only reason the kirishitan cult existed in the first place was jesuits getting warlords to forcibly convert their subjects to open trade for guns so they could fight their little wars, that had already happened
>>
>>80592968
the problem with the book and movie is its about people internalizing a struggle that's entirely external and entirely their fault.

Its like pushing someone off a cliff and then writing a book about the internal struggle afterwards you had with whether or not god really is there and if he is why would he let you do that. Why didn't go stop me? Why didn't god break their fall? Why didn't god heal them afterwards? Oh god the silence of god on this is killing me!
>>
muh god is silent wahhh. so lets marry chinks and worship a statue instead of escaping.

even qui gon looked bored
>>
>>80590327
nah it really is shit unless you're some christ fag
>>
>>80593060
teeth like that are considered cute in japan
>>
>>80592102
No, they wouldn't have continued much. Read about the real Inquisitions, not something written by a Dr. (((Goldberg))) or (((Silverstein))). Stop letting Hebews define the Christian faith in the media. The Hebews had their chance when the Lord was here but they turned their backs and history will punish them as such.
>>
>>80593217
Yeah I think this was essentially why I couldn't enjoy this film, or find any deeper insight or meaning, or whatever the fuck you call it when a film makes you think and realise something about the world.
The whole time I was just thinking that these people were retarded and bringing on themselves. And by the time I had started to empathise with Garfield's character Jesus apparently speaks to him anyway?
So what was the point? What did any of us take away or learn?

Again, maybe I'm just ignorant, and perhaps I would have felt something, or seen something, in this film if I were religious. But to me it just felt like 2 and a half hours of pretension
>>
FOUR FARMERS?
>>
File: tstone-main1.jpg (130KB, 636x761px) Image search: [Google]
tstone-main1.jpg
130KB, 636x761px
>>80590240
Why didn't he get best actor?
>>
Was it better or as good as the 1986 film The Mission?
>>
This thead has been invaded by fedoras.
>>
>>80593413
Prove to me Christianity as written actually happened

Why are people hysterical over Jews such low IQ individuals?
>>
>>80593490
You are ignorant. This film is set 500 years ago, but you are trying to interpret the characters's actions as if they were from the 21st century. The film is trying to show how different the world was back then. People couldn't see beyond what they had been indoctrinated to believe.
>>
>>80590240
the leads were weak
>>
>>80590240

it was so fucking good
>>
>>80593490
>>80593217

You probably didn't like Hacksaw Ridge because of this same reason. Don't you understand that people think different than you? Some people actually believe in something, and that belief drives them to do things that to you would seem unreasonable. That doesn't mean the movie is bad, it means that you are stupid because you can't empathize with someone who is different to you. You are as narrowminded as the movie characters
>>
>>80594665
>>80594391
I haven't seen Hacksaw ridge.
And my issue with this film isn't with empathizing with people with different belief systems, it's that that this film didn't present it to me in a way that was at all interesting to me.

I've asked other people the particular parts of this film, or viewpoints it showed them that they found interesting and they haven't actually told me so far.
>>
>>80590240
I watched it last night and immediately asked myself the same question. It was pure kino. Been thinking about the story practically non-stop, and doubt I'll sort out all my thoughts about it any time soon. I'm planning on reading the book in the hopes that it'll satisfy my questions though, given just how fundamental some of the themes are, it'll probably leave me with even more questions to answer. I haven't seen a film that thematically subtle and complex in a long time.

As far as the Academy Awards are concerned, I think it's really just matter of recognising that the arbitration involved has no claim to objectivity or neutrality. The Oscars are decided upon by a practically self-selecting group of Hollywood insiders, who are comprised almost exclusively of metropolitans from the same cultural, political, and class backgrounds. The entire event is actually really incestuous when you think about it. The idea that the Academy Awards has any real, objective status--beyond what the public chooses to grant it--needs to be done away with.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
>>80594397
The leads were weak? You're weak. And coffee is for closers.
>>
>>80592794
>>80592869
autism
>>
>>80591327
>Agnostic what?

He just believes, like me, that there may be a higher power but he isn't stupid enough to pretend he know what that higher power is. Quite simple
>>
>>80595146
Ah, so an Agnostic Atheist. Got it.
>>
>>80592102
You do realize most of the people punished in the inquisition were Moorish invaders who had no right to be on Spanish lands?
>>
>>80594665
After Hacksaw ridge I started telling the people I watched it with I can't put my dishes away, it's against my morals.
>>
>>80595561
They were also literal spies who were trying to overthrow the monarchy.
>>
>>80595206
If that's what you want to call it, sure
>>
File: Oscars a shit.jpg (78KB, 603x558px) Image search: [Google]
Oscars a shit.jpg
78KB, 603x558px
>>80590240
>"the cinematography is beautiful but I won't nominate it because I hated the Christianity in the film even though that has nothing to do with the cinematography"

Full article here.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/oscar-voter-reveals-her-brutally-honest-ballot-meryl-streep-like-a-clown-la-la-land-not-memora/item/best-actress-brutally-honest-ballot-977470

Friendly reminder that this is what the quality of Academy Award judging is like.
>>
>>80595561
For about five years of the Inquisition, the people of Granada technically had a right to be on Spanish lands didn't they?
>>
>>80595561
So you think that during 700 years of occupation no native Spaniards converted to Islam, and that everyone who lived in Al Andalus was Moorish? You are stupid
>>
>>80596039
They shouldn't have converted.
>>
>>80590240
why is bane in the background
>>
>>80590240
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k&t=1s

because it's outside the SJW approved list, and it's also not on par with Scorsese's usual quality
>>
same reason that the Grammy winners are always artless mainstream shit: it's just a big circlejerk for the industry not an art contest
>>
>>80592102
That's somewhat of a false equivalence. The Inquisition never tortured their own people for the sake of making foreigners submit to secular authority. Although the Spanish Inquisition was heavily manipulated by the Spanish crown--which accounted for much of the persecution--they still ultimately worked for the sake of religious unity and not for the sake of state power.
>>
>>80596039
Never claimed this, but Moorish or not, they were conquered in the 1490's.
>>
>>80590240
It was pretentious Oscar bait
>>
>>80590645
what was his fucking problem
>>
The last 20 minutes of the film ruined it. Otherwise it would have been a 8/10
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2289x1626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2289x1626px
>>80596507
The distinction can be hazy.
>>
File: C7Hq5vjVsAAzyOs.jpg large.jpg (47KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
C7Hq5vjVsAAzyOs.jpg large.jpg
47KB, 850x400px
>>80596633
My take was that Rodriguez' relationship to Kijichiro represented the relationship between God and His people. Since priests act in persona Christi (In the person of Christ) when they offer sacraments, Kijichiro represents the rebelliousness of humanity--constantly turning away from God (in this case, from Rodriguez) only to come back asking for forgiveness. It very much parallels the behaviour of the Israelites during the wandering in the desert.

Also, Rodriguez finds it increasingly difficult to love Kijichiro as the film goes on, despite what he says early in the film about "loving the miserable and corrupt" (pic related), and this lack of love ultimately leads him to abandon God in the same way that Kijichiro does... except where Kijichiro abandoned God temporarily, only to return asking for forgiveness, Rodriguez seemingly abandons God permanantly. I think there's reason to suggest that the Kijichiro is, in the end, the better Christian because he never stops trying despite all his weakness.
>>
>>80590240
WHERES THE DIVERSITY YOU RACIST CRACKA

ALL BLACK CAST SWAP, WOULDA WON
>>
Is it the sin of pride to allow others to die because you refuse to deny god? Clearly he still felt Christ in his heart, and could continue to spread Christianity through more subtle means. Would god allow you to renounce him if it meant more spread of his word?

It's an interesting dilemma.
>>
>>80597854
But it's answered in the gospels.
>>
>>80597854
The best interpretation of the dilemma that I've seen was by this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7Tiz1cEk

He likened it to a solder being captured while performing a clandestine operation to help a persecuted minority, only to renounce his country and begin working for his former enemy by helping them in their persecutions.

The story is certainly crafted in such a way as to make the moral conundrum as difficult to answer as possible, but it is still ultimately a betrayal and there's only one correct answer in Christian terms.
>>
File: 1488111633732.jpg (99KB, 983x435px) Image search: [Google]
1488111633732.jpg
99KB, 983x435px
>>80591816
You forgot quips. Every successful movie needs quips.
>>
>>80596761
Oh no, what happened during its final twenty minutes? I have been wanting to see this. Try telling me without actually tellingly me, if that makes any sense. Like, allude to it in an obnoxiously nebulous sort of way without actually giving it away, okay?
>>
>>80590240
Just got done watching it. I'm as fedora atheist as they come but this movie was phenomenal and powerful. Everything about it was exceptional. It was more deserving of the award than almost everything the Academy nominated.
>>
File: a28b8f.png (43KB, 201x236px) Image search: [Google]
a28b8f.png
43KB, 201x236px
>>80595930
Fucking awful
>>
>>80594665
hacksaw ridge was a story of courage and grace under fire, the jesus stuff being mostly irrelevant to the story of legit heroism

silence was a story of people blaming god for their fuckups and sticking to that for an inexcusable length of time.
>>
>>80594391
liam neeson explains pretty cleanly and clearly his fuckups to spiderman, he just, at some point, shifted from blaming god to blaming the japs for his fuckups

Its a story of people never taking responsibility for their actions. Blaming god. Blaming others. And those others working really, really hard to get people to accept some sort of personal responsibility.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.