[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hammer Horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Dracula.jpg (49KB, 615x432px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula.jpg
49KB, 615x432px
What do the horror movie fans on /tv/ think of Hammer Horror films?
Are they overrated?

Recommend the essential Hammer Horror films.
>>
>>80557399

bump
>>
>>80557399
Quite cheap, obviously, but the acting from Lee & Cushing saves them. Amicus is OK too. Essentials from what I've seen would be the first Dracula and Frankenstein (diminishing returns with sequels) and The Devil Rides Out.
>>
Corny but I love them. Colorful, though it's laughable when the film thier "night" scenes if full blown daylight. There also often filled with gorgeous retro actresses that never appear in anything else
>>
>>80559843
This
>>
>>80557975
fuck off reddit
>>
>>80558757

I admire the sort of gothic and dark imagery. I'm really into the supernatural-themed horror movies and I heard Hammer has a lot of those and it's sort of what they're known for.
>>
I love Horror of and Brides of Dracula. Cushing was the best Helsing.
>>
>>80557399
Hammer Dracula?

-Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
-Scars of Dracula
-Horror of Dracula
-Dracula, Prince of Darkness
-Dracula A.D. 1972
-Taste The Blood of Dracula
-Satanic Rites of Dracula
>>
>>80561568
Brides of Dracula is a really good one.
>>
>>80561996
Taste is better than Scars. It features Linda Hayden, who is the only actress I've ever seen who conveys something we often notice in life but never see represented in movies - the melancholy sexual availability of the slightly overweight girl who wants to feel pretty.
>>
>>80561502
Both Hammer and Amicus are worth exploring. My personal favorites are always Hammer, especially Dracula and Frankenstein, but there's a LOT more out there, and both catalogues are impressive. Another good Hammer classic is Hands of The Ripper.
>>
>>80562086
You are fucking bonkers, mate. Taste the Blood might have that going for it, but 2/3 of that movie don't even have a drip of Dracula himself, and it drags quite badly.

Scars, on the other hand, is filled to the brim with Dracula, and his castle. Probably 75% of the movie takes place in/around his castle, it's easily the most violent, gory Hammer Dracula film, and is generally overall more entertaining for me. Plus a little Michael Ripper is always a good thing, and he's got a great little bit in Scars. Nothing near his role in Dracula Has Risen, but still. Scars is an 8/10, or better. Taste is a 5/10 at best.
>>
File: thecurseofthewerewolf01.jpg (112KB, 460x250px) Image search: [Google]
thecurseofthewerewolf01.jpg
112KB, 460x250px
>>80559843
case in point, this chick from "Curse of the Werewolf"
>>
File: VanHelsingCross.jpg (36KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
VanHelsingCross.jpg
36KB, 640x368px
>Who is it that is not afraid?
>Only God has no fear

>You know who I am?
>I know who you were
>>
>>80561502
You would love Bava and James Whale.
>>
File: vampire_lovers_poster_02.jpg (147KB, 580x894px) Image search: [Google]
vampire_lovers_poster_02.jpg
147KB, 580x894px
best Carmilla adaptation to date
>>
>>80557399
I enjoyed "Hammer House of Horror" Guardian of the Abyss. Think it was one of their TV movies.
>>
>>80563595

any recommendations for their films?
>>
File: kronosposter.jpg (157KB, 450x663px) Image search: [Google]
kronosposter.jpg
157KB, 450x663px
>>80557399
This one is underrated and is free on Youtube on Hammer's own channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWAVsRefSg&t=3292s
>>
>>80561502
>>80563595
>>80563850
>Bava
Black Sunday is one of my favorite movies ever. Black Sabbath is also great, but only one of the three stories is gothic.
>>
>>80562090
After Hammer and Amicus, try branching out to Tigon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigon_British_Film_Productions

"Blood on Satan's Claw" is pretty good.
>>
>>80563850
The Black Cat
Frankenstein
Black Sunday
Blood and Black Lace
Bride of Frankenstein
>>
>>80564274
*change The Black Cat to The Old Dark House. The Black Cat has modern aesthetic for a horror film.
>>
>>80557399
Mostly anything directed by Terence Fisher. If his name, Peter Cushing's and Christopher Lee's also appear in the credits, than it's certified kino.
The first movies of the Frankenstein, Dracula and Mummy franchise are worth seeing, plus Brides of Dracula (a personal favorite even though Dracula is absent), Revenge of Frankenstein, and Frankenstein Created Woman. All the other sequels vary in quality, but if you like the general feel of Hammer films, you will certainly find at least something enjoyable out of them. These are the monster flicks that influenced the following generation of monsters: Jason, Michael Myers, etc. and should be seem by anoyone with an interest in the genre.
>>
>>80564348
The Black Cat is great but I'm pretty sure it isn't a James Whale film.
>>
>>80564610
Yup. Apparently it was made by someone who knew about the place where he did direct Black Cat. Bauhaus is written all over it.
>>
>>80561996
I just can't take Risen from the Grave seriously. I mean, how the hell do you just through Dracula over a cliff. They might as well have had him die by tripping and falling down the stairs.
>>
>>80558757
>Quite cheap, obviously
Only the late 60s & 70s films.
The early to mid 60s ones looked better then the classic Universal films.
>>
>>80564274

I've seen the opening to Black Sunday before and it really intrigues me and makes me want to watch it. The same can be said for Dracula (1931)

I love anything grainy and black and white. It doesn't have to be black and white though as I like color too. But I like any horror movies that have to do with witches, demons, ghosts, etc. Settings like dark castles and dungeons are nice too.
>>
>>80557399
I watched them as a kid on TV. I was impressed with the clever way they brought back Dracula.

"Aha, Dracula, I have staked you through the heart, thus ending your terror."

>next movie: someone removes the steak, reviving Dracula

"Aha, Dracula, I have set you on fire, reducing you to ashes, and thus ending your terror."

>next movie: a blood ritual is performed over the ashes, reviving Dracula
>>
>>80557399
>Are they overrated?
I wouldn't say so.
>>80558757
>the acting from Lee & Cushing saves them
The primary appeal for me, honestly.
>>
Horror of Dracula is great, though you might need to go in knowing it's very much Peter Cushing's van Helsing movie, Christopher Lee is in it for like, I dunno, fifteen minutes since it's his first Hammer Dracula flick. He's already awesome as Dracula though and his death scene is pretty baller.

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires is terrible, but it's sort of watchable as a curiosity, because the idea of doing a kung fu movie with Dracula is pretty goofy. It's just too bad it's very poorly written and Dracula himself is in it for roughly five minutes in total. Some nice fight scenes though.

Satanic Rituals of Dracula is a piece of shit. The satanic cult is completely superfluous, it's boring as fuck to watch, Dracula's germ warfare apocalypse plot is completely random and dull, and it has easily the worst death of Dracula, ever. He literally dies by getting caught in a bush of thorns and then van Helsing stabs him with a stake. To add insult to injury, van Helsing and Dracula actually have a cool as fuck climactic confrontation set up at the mansion that is burning to the ground, but rather than fight there they immediately run out into the woods so that Dracula can die anti-climacticly.

I've seen one or two of the Frankenstein movies and from what I remember, there's too much "lol, I survived by swapping our brains" bs in them.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.