[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"We have now but one choice" What did he mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: GandalfStaff4.jpg (175KB, 1600x1202px) Image search: [Google]
GandalfStaff4.jpg
175KB, 1600x1202px
"We have now but one choice"

What did he mean by this?
>>
"We must form a circle, and each man must jerk off the man to his left. Only then can we become The Fellowship of the Ring."

Fucking Hollywood.
>>
He meant that since none of them can walk through a metric fuck ton of rock, they have to instead venture further into the Mines of Moria.
>>
>>80543244
Not really a choice then, is it?
>>
>>80543114
He meant that they needed to get on the eagles. This is why he said "fly you fools" but instead they chose to walk the whole way.
>>
>>80543294
Yes, it's a choice. That it's the only one available does not deter from the fact that it's still a choice.
>>
>>80543307
And it worked out didn't it

Fuck off eagle fag
>>
>>80543340
A choice implies there's more than one thing to choose from, otherwise it's meaningless. Having one door available doesn't mean you have a choice of doors.
>>
>>80543381
Having one door available means you have one choice. Why is this so hard for you to understand
>>
>>80543411
Because it's not a CHOICE. Having one option takes away your ability to choose anything. If it' a choice, what's the alternative?

If I said you had a choice of candy and presented to you only one brand, it's not a choice.
>>
>>80543557
It is a choice, because I could choose not to take any candy.

They could have chosen to just stand in the dark until they starve, or they could have chosen to fuck each other, OR they could chose to move on with the quest.

The fact that there's only one plausible choice doesn't mean it's the only one. He says they have but one choice because all other choices would lead them nowhere.
>>
>>80543637
So you still have two choices then, right? Stand and die, or go on into Moria.
>>
>>80543677
Yes but only one of those choices is plausible. That's why he says we have but one choice.
>>
>>80543749
Still doesn't make sense to say "one choice", just because one is more rational than the other. You never have *one* choice about anything when any number of alternative solutions are available.

Gandalf's a wizard; he could have moved the rocks with magic or made them disappear. In-fact, a wizard using his magical powers would have been the MORE rational option instead of going into Moria to fight goblins and Balrogs.
>>
>>80543833
Gandalf is a straight up angel that has a lot of powers not shown in the film. He was sent by the Valar to guide and inspire not to go ham with Harry Potter tier magic. He's limited in what he can do. That's why he still fights with a sword even though he has spells that could disintegrate someone.

What he says does not imply that that's the only choice they have. He means that only one plausible choice remains and to suggest doing anything else would be retarded. It's how people talk anon.
>>
>>80543945
I get what you're saying. I guess Peter Jackson wanted that line to sound more "Tolkien-esque", when saying "It seems we've got no other choice but to go forward" makes more sense.
>>
>>80544034
I'm glad you understand.
>>
>>80544062
Who says 4chan doesn't resolve it's disputes amicably?
>>
>>80543114

Invasion
>>
>>80544119
This is a Tolkien thread despite the guise, and Tolkien threads are for comfy
>>
going through Moria was a task for days and in the books, they constantly are faced with choices of hallways and doors and where to go next
So if a point comes where there is only one way forward and the other destroyed or whatever, its basically Gandalf making an inside joke to the fellowshit, who were previously arguing and debating constantly on which way to take
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.