[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hornblower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: ioan-gruffudd.jpg (368KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
ioan-gruffudd.jpg
368KB, 900x506px
I just watched the first episode/movie in the Hornblower television film series and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was looking for something to watch after Master & Commander and this seems like a good fit.

What is the general opinion of the series here on /tv/?
Do you like it?
Does it get better? Worse?
>>
File: hornblower2.jpg (375KB, 1447x1405px) Image search: [Google]
hornblower2.jpg
375KB, 1447x1405px
>>80536694

It's dutykino
>>
>ywn serve as an officer on a Royal Navy ship during the Napoleonic wars, serving the King and Britain with honor and duty and distinguishing yourself with clever tactics and cutting down Frenchmen in boarding actions.
Why even live?
>>
These are some of my favorite movies. They get really good when he's actually commanding a ship, in the first few movies he's just a low level officer
>>
>>80536910
I bet you can barely waddle the length of your cheeto-stained hallway, faggot
>>
>>80537098
Someone is projecting hard.
>>
>>80536694
Hornblower is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>80537087
Was it actually common for naval officers of this era to board enemy vessels and fight with swords and pistols? I thought that is what the onboard marines were for?
>>
>>80537201
They probobaly used every available person they had
>>
>>80536694
I liked it especially since I worked on one of the ships in the series and watched it in my bunk.

It's got Star Trek syndrome tho and the Captain repeatedly and needlessly leaves the ship for his own glory.

Sharpe is way better.
>>
File: hornblower.png (2MB, 1870x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hornblower.png
2MB, 1870x1080px
>>80536746

>tfw your honor makes you marry a woman you don't love and doesn't understand your commitment to the navy
>>
File: sharpeseagle - Version 2.jpg (26KB, 226x270px) Image search: [Google]
sharpeseagle - Version 2.jpg
26KB, 226x270px
>>80537415

Sharpe suffers from the same though, and in my opinion has too many ups and downs to the point you might as well skip some of the movies. Hornblower felt more consistent though it didn't last as long.

Still great shows.
>>
>>80537538
No it doesn't. Sharpes an officer in unit of skirmishers it makes more sense that he's going off on his capers. Captains don't leave their ships. Let alone the Skipper and the First Mate.

Agreed tho great shows.
>>
Why was Simpson such an evil dick? Was he just buttmad that he was too stupid to pass the Lieutenant exam and took it out on the other Midshipmen?
>>
Admit it. You cried.
>>
>NOT INTO THE HULL, DAMN YOU, CRIPPLE HEEERRRRR
>*cheers from the men*
>SIIIIILEEEEEENNNCCCEE
>>
Anyone know if the book series is any good?
>>
>>80537808
Never read them but it's very highly regarded yea.
>>
Where did naval officers or seamen in the age of sail take a dump? I mean, I suppose they could just piss off the side of the ship, but shitting would be a man overboard risk.
>>
>>80537437
low point of the series imo.
>>
File: 1471259147211.jpg (67KB, 540x534px) Image search: [Google]
1471259147211.jpg
67KB, 540x534px
>Hornblower
>>
>>80537670
he was sad that his face was too long and his dick was too short.
>>
>>80537963
t. george rr
>>
>>80537963
In a bucket and throw it overboard.

Occasionally while sitting on the yard or with your legs spread sat on a foot rope. That's pretty gross tho.

Also some boats have a set up similar to walking the plank.
>>
So is he supposed to be like a fictionalized version of Horatio Nelson? Like was he the inspiration for Hornblower? If so, they could have at least given him a name that doesn't sound like it's not a real name.
>>
>>80538370
Horatio Nelson is directly referenced within the films so I don't think it can be said that he was supposed to *be* Nelson.
>>
File: 1464614699060.jpg (10KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1464614699060.jpg
10KB, 300x250px
>>80538107
He ends up as a rear admiral
>>
>it's a Lee Adama has a seizure and has to be knocked out for the mission and is then cut away to float off unconscious on a boat episode
>>
>>80537328
I assume the marines went in first and officers last. God forbid you lose a guy who can read charts.
>>
>>80540297
It always shows a junior officer like a lieutenant or midshipmen leading the boarding parties. The marines mostly seem to stay on their own ship firing rifles.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.