[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aliens (1986)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 49

File: aliens_ver1.jpg (72KB, 499x755px) Image search: [Google]
aliens_ver1.jpg
72KB, 499x755px
Man, I was really disappointed with this movie. I watched Alien a couple months ago and I really enjoyed it so naturally, I was very excited to watch the sequel because everyone always told me, "It's even better than the original." I know realize that I must have been speaking to a select group of people who just enjoy action over all. That would be fine but this movie has aged horribly. I always try to keep context in mind when watching a movie but if they put all their eggs in the basket of technicality, it was the wrong thing to do because it is not charming, it just falls short. I sometimes think that people praising a film for cinematography can come off like a superior thing to see if its not deserved but one thing I enjoyed about watching Aliens was that it taught me that what made Alien good was not its cinematography per se but its art direction. It has such a distinct and beautiful atmosphere that I really missed in Aliens' generic mining facility type environments.

Also, think that the Ripley's relationship with the girl was pretty stupid but that's not what let me down about this movie compared to original.

What do you think of Aliens, /tv/?
>>
Unironically the best movie in the Alien franchise.

Alien was obviously amazing for its own reasons, but I always liked Aliens much better.

I feel the same way about Terminator 2 versus 1.

And Robocop. You look a little out of breath, BITCH.
>>
>>80494368
I just felt generic to me. Is that because I didn't watch it at release? The xenomorph in the first one felt special because there was only one, you didn't see it most of the movie which created suspense, and they established a reason why they can't just kill it.

In the sequel, they kill a ton of them, thus making them generic and reduces the threat.
>>
>>80494438
I mean, they're just pretty different types of movies. The first is one of the best horror scifi films ever made, the second is one of the best action scifi films ever made. Personally I think it's down to which one you feel executed the premise better.
You're right that the aliens weren't as "special" in the second one, but that was also kinda part of the point. I like the "creeping carpet of terrifying violent and inevitable destruction" and the whole hive thing.
>>
>guys let's take the alien and get rid of everything that made it unique. Let's have swarms of them just dying all over the place like flies because more is better right?

>Also get a child actor in there.
>>
>>80494658
I just feel like Aliens is neither a good action movie or sci-fi movie. It tries to be both and succeeds at neither.

Maybe it's like if you watched The Matrix now and it didn't know it came before. You'd think it is derivative. Space marines and stuff fighting aliens might have been fresh then but it definitely doesn't feel that way now.
>>
The only good thing about Aliens is the continuation of Ripply as a character. EVERYTHING else is shit house.
>>
Aliens > Alien
>>
File: 1484251413923.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484251413923.gif
2MB, 400x250px
>can't even enjoy Aliens on /tv/ anymore
>>
>>80495192
there are good 80s action flicks. This is not one of them.
>>
This is a meme. Aliens is a 9/10 film at least.

Young members of /tv/ are trying to be edgy by declaring it a bad film. Get some fucking taste or debate me on why you don't like it.

Great set, great performances, solid story, almost perfect action/horror mix.
>>
>>80495150
why? Because of Sigourney's portrayal of her?
>>
>>80494295
>>80494438
>>80494727
>>80495150
>>80494784
>>80495220
Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?
>>
>>80495273
Not a meme. I specifically talked about its anemic art direction and bland sets and all you did was say it was "good."

I can't speak for other young people watching this but did it ever occur to you that people watching them objectively, free from nostalgia can see that Alien is worth its praise for not only its original concept but how well executed it is while Aliens is derivative and holds almost no value today?
>>
>>80495335
>anemic art direction and bland sets

You have proved yourself to be a complete pleb. You probably liked Prometheus.
>>
>>80495385
Ad hominem. Nice rebuttal.
>>
>>80494295
>What do you think of Aliens, /tv/?
I think my major critique of Aliens is the motherhood angle. Ripley's strength in this one really comes via that supposed motherhood instinct which completely changes her nature from the first one. I think it's to the films detriment that her entire motivation is constructed around motherhood. To me it's very limiting as a character trait. For all its faults I'm glad Alien 3 does away with it fairly quickly.
>>
>>80495335
>Aliens
>derivative
You truly know nothing. I'm not even saying you have to like it as a movie, but you truly don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>80495406
Did you enjoy Prometheus?
>>
File: Aliens-1986-newt-and-alien.jpg (242KB, 1980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Aliens-1986-newt-and-alien.jpg
242KB, 1980x1080px
>>80494295
>That would be fine but this movie has aged horribly.
ok
>>
>>80495431
I totally agree. It felt extremely engineered. When they can have a clean getaway with Hicks and she goes back to grab the girl, it made me so mad.
>>
>>80495473
He's just another contrarian teen (probably 16/17) trying to be edgy and cool by using a few phrases that he picked up from his favourite youtube reviewers. Aliens is a great film and to deny that is just going against the grain for the sake of looking cool on an anonymous board.
>>
>>80495452
Yeah, I did. Debate does not have to be combative. It can be civil. You still haven't defended the generic sets of Aliens, one of many flaws with the movie.
>>
Alien > Aliens

Not much new to be seen in Aliens. Just more Xenomorphs. Plus a ton of sassy space marines. Same planet and visuals otherwise with that patented Jim Cameron movie feel.

Good, but not as immersive as the original.

Its more beloved than the first by many for that Jim Cameron blockbuster feel.
>>
Regarding sets and looking cheap, etc, I think for its time (I'll stress that point) Aliens was generally considered a low-budget film compared to the first one. Which could be a reason why things feel a little more derivative than they could have been.
>>
>>80495555
Well,the fact that you enjoyed an overblown mess of a film leads me to believe that you find the sets 'generic' because you prefer elaborate, campy space operas over gritty action/horror sci-fi. Stick to Star Wars, kid.
>>
I love Aliens, but Alien is better.

I also love T2, but T1 is better.

What is more, Alien Cubed Assembly Cut isn't as bad as everyone says. I only place it a little bellow Aliens.
>>
>>80494438
they're still set up as threatening when they wipe out most of the team in the beginning though
>>
File: 1471629724134.jpg (287KB, 1920x912px) Image search: [Google]
1471629724134.jpg
287KB, 1920x912px
>>80494295

>Look Mom! I'm a contrarian faggot!

Eat shit you dumb faggot. Yeah I'm mad.
>>
>>80494438
How the fuck were the xenos not threating in aliens?
>send a squad of heavily armed marines with top of the line weapons
>they almost get wiped out in like 2 battles with xenomorphs
>>
Alien > Aliens > Predator >> Alien 3 (underrated) > Prometheus > Predator 2 >Alien:Resurrection

literally everything else in these two franchises included crossovers is trash

Also, Alien is subjectively one of the top 5 horror movies ever made.
Also, Aliens and Predator are both objectively two of the top 5 action movies ever made ((the three others being The Matrix(objectively), Terminator 2(subjectively), and Die Hard(objectively, where Die Hard is also objectively #1 overall))

Also, just found out there's going to be another Predator movie next year. Mite b cool.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829266/
>>
File: 1403463975945.jpg (18KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1403463975945.jpg
18KB, 240x250px
>>80496124

>objectively
>subjectively
>>
>>80495708
You're absolutely right. They're formidable and I'm not saying that they should not be able to be killed but it just doesn't feel as satisfying as I feel like to should to kill a xenomorph since it's all you wanted in the first movie. Also, because you have no idea how many there are and it never feels like you're weakening their numbers.
>>
File: mother.jpg (183KB, 1600x827px) Image search: [Google]
mother.jpg
183KB, 1600x827px
>>80495645
memorable
>>
File: ph.png (70KB, 441x411px) Image search: [Google]
ph.png
70KB, 441x411px
>>80495587

>Not much new to be seen in Aliens.

I agree that Alien is overall the better film, but that is ridiculous. Aliens expanded the universe by a huge margin, for better or worse.
>>
File: Snapshot00004.jpg (19KB, 399x308px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot00004.jpg
19KB, 399x308px
>>80495645
forgettable
>>
>People thinking everyone should give this much of a shit about their opinion of a 40 year old movie
fuck no
>>
>>80496311

Not him, but I think you're right.

Now that you've made me think about it there aren't a whole lot of iconic or striking visuals in Aliens. People love it for its characters and set pieces.
>>
>>80495220
like what?
>>
It's strange to think of how the series would seem if Alien 3's wooden Luddite monastery setting was made.

The technocratic megacorp themes that pervade the movies may be easier for the audience to grasp.

I love to think of what creative ripples would result from a well executed version of Fincher's original vision
>>
File: 5634634634.gif (1012KB, 540x294px) Image search: [Google]
5634634634.gif
1012KB, 540x294px
>>80496438
You
set of my pleb alarm
>>
>>80496438
I think that's why I am being critical of the film. I just expected something very different from it so I kind of had to unlearn what I expected before I could start enjoying it and by the time I got there, we were reaching the end of the film.

I liked Hudson and the sarge. I like how they played off your suspicion of the android.

What was with them finding his milk blood stuff right before the xenomorph attacks the helicopter pilot?
>>
>>80494295
I would beat you with a sock full of soap for having such shit taste OP
>>
>>80496490
The Road Warrior
RoboCop
Escape from New York
>>
>>80495862
>send in armed marines
>disarm them prior to entering an area teeming with xenomorphs
>>
>>80494368
Pleb
>>
>>80496608
SNAKE YOU CANT USE WEAPONS ON THAT FLOOR
>>
>>80496311

It's a fair point. In Aliens' defense, however...

>Initial rescue scene w blowtorch into the frozen space capsule of Alien
>Drop ship sequence
>Apone inspecting his badasses
>Tension before first contact
>Escaping through the red vents
>"You always were an asshole"

But you're right, there's a shortage of arresting visuals that stands on their own
>>
>>80496675
Fair points. I did like that opening with the blowtorch. It made me think about the human's ability to recognize the silhouette of another human knowing there were gonna be aliens n shet.
>>
>>80496512

>Get away from her, you bitch?

What will the teal-haired genderqueer blasian say in the 2018 remake?
>>
>>80496675
Except Alien had better landing scene. Hell, it's one of the few movies (I actually can't think of any other) where the ship thrusters give one burst to get it moving instead of burning all the time..
>>
>>80494295
>Also, think that the Ripley's relationship with the girl was pretty stupid

Newt was the standin for Ripley's daughter who she never saw grow up
>>
>>80496601

You could have made your retribution true to the Alien franchise

>But ya blew it, lar
>>
File: Ultimate badass.webm (3MB, 850x456px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate badass.webm
3MB, 850x456px
It's not the same watching it anymore.
>>
>>80497007
;_;
>>
>>80496816
The movie is more overbearing and obvious about this than you literally explaining it.
>>
>>80497007
Having really seen few movies with Bill Paxton other than A Simple Plan and Nightcrawler, I was really impressed with his performance in this.
>>
File: SNTRY.jpg (480KB, 2000x1349px) Image search: [Google]
SNTRY.jpg
480KB, 2000x1349px
>>80496675
you forgot the part where they set up auto turrets and instead of showing aliens getting mowed down and blowing up you mostly just see the bullet counts on the computer displays going down, with a few shots of just the turrets firing

absolute kino tb h
>>
>>80497535
and to only way to get away with the fact that combined 2000 rounds in 4 turrets didn't kill all 158 the most optimistic scenario for the aliens aliens
>>
>>80494295
Every Vasquez scene made me cringe.
>>
>>80497677
sorry i dont understand this post at all
>>
The scene where Ripley is in the elevator and making her rifle/flamethrower is kino.
I love the look on her face when everything is ready. Compared to Ripley at the start of the movie, you know shit is about to get down.
>>
>>80497763
>>80497763
yes. started doing pushups as soon as she wakes up. The Little Sister from Shawshank dude in it was making me mad too.
>>
>>80497804
there were 2000 bullets in those auto turrets
the top amount of aliens possible was 158
turrets fired 1990 rounds
most of the aliens remained alive

they would either have to show lots of aliens dying in which case the numbers wouldn't match up or show the turrets fire into nothingness
>>
>>80495705
>Alien Cubed Assembly Cut
Is that the Fincher Director's Cut? Never heard it being called that.
>>
>>80497763
why?

>>80497847
the entire movie is kino. it's probably Cameron's very best. this movie is so obviously a masterpiece yet thanks to all these contrarian autists it is somehow becoming a pleb filter
>>
>>80497535
I was wondering if these sentries paired with the setting inspired the ending of Half-Life 2 when you're in that prison thing.
>>
Alien feels like a generic B movie slasher film the way the Alien is used.
Everyone is impressed by behind the scenes how they were able to make the alien look real by hiding it, but the final product is just jump scares and cut aways from the scares/action. Cheesy. The scene in the vents is standard horror movie cop out cheese.

Alien has great sets, great acting, and the android sequence was great. But it's pretty overrated.

Aliens feels more original and that alone made it more entertaining to watch.
>>
>>80497763

Vasquez is the only Colonial Marine I would trust to save my life.
>>
>>80497995
The only jumpscare in Aliens is the facehugger
>>
>>80497923
It's only ever called that. It's not a director's cut because Fincher had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>80497910
ok. i dont know where you got the number 158 from. and either way who fucking cares. you know the aliens are getting mowed down but you don't need to see it to tell what's happening. it's thrilling in the way an action movie is but the choice to not show the aliens keeps the horror movie tension intact, and as you watch the bullet counts going down the feeling of dread grows. it's a great scene
>>
>>80494295

Goddamn, the cuckmeron fanboys are out in full force today.
>>
god I fucking hate reddi/tv/ so much
>>
>>80498020
Alien or Aliens? Because my post is calling out Alien for jumpscares.
Aliens is much better.
>>
>>80498047
Welcome to r/kino. We have mt. dew and tendies
>>
>>80497940
yeah probably. it's also pretty apparent that Starcraft would not exist if it werent for Aliens
>>
>>80497995
Those are fair criticisms of Alien but your own post betrays itself.

Using the xenomorph as the "slasher" is a much more original take on the respective film's genre.

In Aliens, they just blow up stuff. Hardly innovative for the action genre.
>>
>>80495406
Fuck off /V/
>>
>>80494438

It feels generic because literally every action movie since has been imitating or aping some aspect of it. It was innovative when it came out.
>>
>>80498093
>if it werent for Aliens

They'd just steal more from WH40k.
>>
I think everyone can admit that there are movies that they like but they can admit they are not good.

I am honestly surprised by the condescension coming from people defending Aliens. I can understand if you like the movie but you certainly cannot call people who say the movie plebs. First of all, that's not a defense of this film and second of all, just admit that the movie is cheesy and bad. It doesn't mean you're not allowed to like it.
>>
>Alien really was good!
>Aliens is a popcorn flick unworthy of its praise
>Alien3 is the hip underrated choice (if you watch the right version)
>doesn't mention Resurrection

EVERY. TIME.
>>
garbage threads like this one should be reportable
>>
>>80498192
I mentioned this in previous posts. That really only gives Alien more ammo in this debate. It has not been made generic by other films release and time.
>>
>>80498269
you're so fucking retarded it fucking hurts.
>>
File: M00t py00bs.webm (2MB, 1920x1036px) Image search: [Google]
M00t py00bs.webm
2MB, 1920x1036px
>>
>>80498243
I just haven't gotten there yet, anon. I'm actually appreciative of this post because after watching Aliens, I was not very excited to watch Alien 3.

Kind of excited now that I know Fincher directed it.
>>
>>80498036
>where you got the number 158 from

i think that's the number of colonists stationed there. Ergo, there can be at most 158 aliens.
>>
Aliens really separates the plebs from the patricians.
>>
>>80498304
No I mean every alien thread is these same opinions recycled
>>
File: 1489676205327.jpg (91KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489676205327.jpg
91KB, 900x900px
I FUCKING HATE NEWFAGS
>>
>>80498296
Way to defend your movie, my man.

Dirty Harry invented the hard boiled cop who doesn't follow the rules. If you watch it again, it doesn't feel played out from other movies trying the same formula because it has verisimilitude.
>>
>>80498243
>Resurrection

It looks nice to say the least. I have a soft spot for it because it was included as a trailer on a VHS I had. It's a pretty good movie until the hybrid comes along. The comedy didn't bother me since there really was no other direction they could've gone. Cameron fucked up by making the fabled monster into an easily killable drone. So when Alien Cubed came along, the tension just wasn't there since you knew it can be killed easily as long as you have a gun.
>>
>>80498382
sorry I ain't replying to you, I don't speak with the mentally ill
>>
File: Xenomorph_queen.png (754KB, 800x608px) Image search: [Google]
Xenomorph_queen.png
754KB, 800x608px
Alien remake when?
>>
>>80498460
I wish I could hold myself to the same standards.
>>
>>80495525
>>80495431
The parallel of two mothers fighting ultimately over the survival of their children doesn't ring any bell to you knobheads?
>>
File: Alien_Inner_Jaws.png (205KB, 617x266px) Image search: [Google]
Alien_Inner_Jaws.png
205KB, 617x266px
Aliens was alright for a popcorn flick. It was what people "thought" at the times back then, when there was hope.
Alien 3 was to avant garde, but fits the trilogy with its bitterness of a post economical collapse and greed.
>>
>aliens is bad because it 'copies' all that cheesy action movie stuff
The millenial faggotry in this thread i swear
>>
After watching Aliens I was astounded that people thought it was better than the original, let alone a decent film. This thread not only helped me understand that these people are real but they inhabit this board that I frequent clearly too often.

The worst part is that you people condescend to people who think this movie is bad. Truly sad.
>>
>>80498594
In Alien Covenant. There's an alien king and a human queen. For horror purposes.
>>
>>80498668
It doesn't stand up. R Get over it.
>>
To me, Alien 3 is the best.
I love sad endings. Almost like a tragedy worthy of operas, plust that ost. Ost is way above anything I've ever heard in a very long time.
>>
File: xenomorph-3-622x415.jpg (71KB, 622x415px) Image search: [Google]
xenomorph-3-622x415.jpg
71KB, 622x415px
The Alien Universe was never really explained. I'm hoping that the new film sheds light about what sort of creatures are they, seems to indicate some civilization and knowledge such as farming wheat.
>>
If you think Aliens is a bad/derivative movie, you literally don't know shit about film. I'm sorry but it's the truth.
>>
>>80498826
They're just animals man
>>
File: Alien Muses.jpg (43KB, 592x800px) Image search: [Google]
Alien Muses.jpg
43KB, 592x800px
Alien Queen was Badass the first time they showed it.
>>
>>80498686
>Alien Covenant
Sorry, we're discussing the canon Alien trilogy here, not some shitty fanfiction by senile burnt out director.
>>
File: ridley_scott_alien.jpg (153KB, 1814x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ridley_scott_alien.jpg
153KB, 1814x1080px
>>80498949
>not some shitty fanfiction by senile burnt out director.
>>
>>80494295
>Man, I was really disappointed with this movie.
much like your mom was disappointed in the quality of your dad and his seed and the downstream product
>>
File: alien-5-xenomorph-slice-600x200.jpg (10KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
alien-5-xenomorph-slice-600x200.jpg
10KB, 600x200px
>>
File: arnold stare.jpg (279KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
arnold stare.jpg
279KB, 1366x768px
>>80495273
the hate for aliens started after avatar was released
before avatar, /tv/ praised the movie and the majority said it was better then alien

after avatar and all the shitposting related to it, suddenly all cameron movies sucked and specialy aliens gets attacked by tryhards
>>
File: 155660.jpg (42KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
155660.jpg
42KB, 960x540px
There's a difference between cameron's aliens and ridley's alien. Most notorious being the head format.
>>
>>80499001
I mean I'm sorry about his brother offing himself and all, but at some point you just gotta be told it's time to quit. Pack up your director's chair and send it to the museum before you distastefully ruin a beloved franchise even more, and more importantly ruin your own legacy as once visionary and genre-defining director. It won't undo the great things you did, but in 30 years it will remain as a huge shitstain on your career that everyone will have to politely pretend is not there in their eyes when doing commemorative speeches.

Are there any directors who actually avoided going down this path and matured and improved all the way through their career rather than settle and derivate? Eastwood? Miyazaki?
>>
Aliens is garbage. Anyone who likes it is a James Cameron garbage dick sucker. It's a shitty generic action movie that completely ruined the horror feel of the first movie.
>>
>>80499238
Despite Cameron's transgressions, that does not stop me from liking Terminator. They're good.

Aliens blows.
>>
File: 1488750705444.jpg (79KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1488750705444.jpg
79KB, 900x900px
inb4 these fucking millenial retards start calling Die Hard "terrible, cliche, derivative trash" too.
>>
You know, Aliens premise is about a peaceful alien race being attacked and genocided by human beings bent on killing them and taking their planet.
>>
>>80499448
you're probably a millennial.

also, die hard is a great action film because it isn't afraid to be one.

aliens is too afraid to be pure action so it has these shitty sci-fi elements that suck as much as its shitty explosions
>>
File: t2-judgementday-posterart[1].jpg (9KB, 164x244px) Image search: [Google]
t2-judgementday-posterart[1].jpg
9KB, 164x244px
>>80499238
T2 was the beloved film of my childhood and teenage years (saw it in theatre on release when I was 11, actually one of the first movies I did). I loved T1 too after watching it a few years later.

But last year I watched a double T1+T2 feature in a theatre (first time seeing T1 on big screen) and it really struck me how very redundant and derivative T2 stood next to T1. It was basically a family-friendly T1 remake with more one-liners.

Doesn't stop me from loving it to death still. I'll probably even go see the 3D version when that comes out in a couple of months, even though I hate 3D.
>>
File: niel blompamp alien.jpg (89KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
niel blompamp alien.jpg
89KB, 640x640px
>>80499001
Prometheus sucked
it was a boring and dumb movie.
most people woudn't have even bothered to go see it if not for the alien relation (that turned out to be very minimal)

"ooh this movie will explain the origin"
nope not really

now with covenant he claims that the engineers aren't the creators of the xenomorphs but just found them and tried to use them and fail.

i hope covenant is better then Prometheus (shoudn't be hard) but i remain cautious.

what really sucks is that the other Alien movie by niel blomkamp has been put on hold because of Prometheus and covenant.
(and ridley claiming he wants to make even more movies)
>>
File: Ripley_finds_Queen.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ripley_finds_Queen.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Aliens has its memorable moments and even introduced new ones to the franchise. Cameron just filmed what everybody wanted.
>>
>>80499623

Thank fuck that Blomkamp/Cuckmeron fanfic isn't happening.
>>
>>80499678
I am not trying to be vindictive. This moment felt really underwhelming.
>>
>>80499623
Did Ripley and Hicks join ISIS or something?
>>
File: alien queen.jpg (68KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
alien queen.jpg
68KB, 650x365px
>>80499728
would have been better then Prometheus at least.
then again, anything would
>>
>>80499776
It's still hard to believe they made it all with strings and puppets back then. Alien 3 has horrible CGI so I could imagine what it would be like if aliens was made today.
>>
File: niel blomkamp alien2.jpg (40KB, 636x479px) Image search: [Google]
niel blomkamp alien2.jpg
40KB, 636x479px
>>80499749
>>
>>80499837
But Alien 3 had no CGI anon.
>>
>>80495314
I got it ;)
>>
File: ali3n5625.jpg (153KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ali3n5625.jpg
153KB, 1920x1080px
>>80499837
Actually, they picked a dog and dressed it as the alien.
>>
File: alien queen behind the scenes.jpg (126KB, 575x368px) Image search: [Google]
alien queen behind the scenes.jpg
126KB, 575x368px
>>80499837
they also had a fully built top half of the queen build
with 3 guys being inside the queen to move the arms and head.

nearly all the shorts of the legs or full body shots where of a puppet
>>
File: alien queen behind the scenes2.png (379KB, 343x500px) Image search: [Google]
alien queen behind the scenes2.png
379KB, 343x500px
nearly the intire alien hive scene area was still intact when filming for the the first michael keaton batman movie started and they where suprised to find it all in one piece in that studio
>>
File: population.png (96KB, 547x459px) Image search: [Google]
population.png
96KB, 547x459px
>>80498036
>>
There's ONE SCENE from alien 3 that never saw the premise. Newt's autopsy scene. Believe it or not, the scene was initially not censored so they showed her being sawed apart by the doctor. The scene, was so shocking that some people from the screem primiere fainted and other vomited. Other downright left the studio in shock.
>>
File: alien queen behind the scenes3.jpg (58KB, 702x458px) Image search: [Google]
alien queen behind the scenes3.jpg
58KB, 702x458px
>>80500053
>>
>>80499857
>yfw Alien 5 feat. Die Andwoord
>yfw everyone speaks with heavy accent or just plain Africaans
>yfw dramatic zoom in on Yolandi's face as she shrieks when Ninja gets ripped to pieces
>yfw ayys get wiped by a microwave bomb which also fries half of Yolandi's face where the piercings are
>yfw she becomes zef as she OD's under the two suns on the abandoned planet
>yfw fade to white
>ywf aggressive hip-hop music starts playing as the credits roll starts
>>
>>80499542
>you're probably a millennial
true, but you have admit the the term covers too wide a time period given the social and technical upheaval that occurred during
>>
>>80500050
They tested that but never used it.

In the end it was just badly lighted and badly composited rod puppet which people keep mistaking for CGI.
>>
File: Alien 3.jpg (29KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Alien 3.jpg
29KB, 600x300px
>>80500050
It was a dog.
>>
>>80499837
>>80499993
Alien 3 actually does have one CGI shot, when the Xeno's head cracks open. The rest was that shitty rod puppet, and plain old man-in-suit.
>>
>/tv/ now hates Aliens
>people defend prometheus on a level aside from "it looks nice visually"

Oh boy I can't wait for May, Scott looks like he's going full Lucas and people on this board are going to lap it up.
>>
>>80500050
That alien was fucking tiny. How did they fail to kill it for so long?
>>
I love alien 3 because it destroys the happy ending of the second movie and gives into a funeral driven dystopia of hellish nightmare.

She, a woman, brings to the men a disease and she carries it too. It's an analogy about aids back then. David Fincher really was a visionary.
>>
>>80494438
>>80494295
Holy shit now this is trolling. 10/10

I know teens and contrarians have made a meme out of these shit opinions, but come the fuck on, this is on a whole other level. Unless you've seen Aliens on a small screen at a shit resolution/bitrate, it is fantastic to look at and holds up way better than most movies special-effects movies of the time, or since. And goddam, what kind of autist doesn't notice the (hamfisted) theme of motherhood? Of the similarity of well-equipped soldiers getting rekt by primitive foreigners? Man this guy should be given an award for being a retard and/or trolling. Goddam, son.
>>
>>80500349
/tv/ is not one person. You can see that because I spent this entire thread trying to get people to defend Aliens instead of just saying "I wanna stab you with my katana for not liking ALIENS. Aliens is le new pleb filter"
>>
>>80500398
They were scared of it.
>>
>>80500255
>Ninja gets ripped to pieces
would pay to watch
>>
File: Iconic Scene.jpg (44KB, 1600x676px) Image search: [Google]
Iconic Scene.jpg
44KB, 1600x676px
Alien 3 most iconic scene.
You can feel the fear and sexual tension the director wanted it to give.
>>
>>80500050
Fuck everything about Alien 3.
>>
>>80500502
Alien 3 was superb. Everything about it was kino.
>>
File: a3comic_queen_embryo.jpg (128KB, 410x640px) Image search: [Google]
a3comic_queen_embryo.jpg
128KB, 410x640px
>>80500215
wasn't the body for newt the used also a boy?
to avoid the whole pre-teen titties issues
>>
>>80500493
>autistic screeching
>>
>>80500535
That page... nothing depicted on it makes any sense, what the fuck.
>>
>>80494295
You are either 60 years old and you never bothered to rent it, or you're 18 and a fucking retard.
>>80498671
You're stating your opinion without giving it any examples, not realizing you only make sense to yourself, and nobody cares.

These are the same fucking retards that think Terminator 1 is better cause muh story, muh 80s, muh arnie is supposed to be the bad guy.
>>
>>80498594
I don't actually think you've read my post, otherwise you wouldn't have felt the need to post this ridiculous comment.
>>
>>80500526
Bunch of serial killers, child molesters, freaks and rapists running around from an alien.

The audience is supposed to feel any pity for them.
>>
File: 1481833063595.jpg (412KB, 1088x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1481833063595.jpg
412KB, 1088x1038px
>>80500526
No. You meme loving fuck.
>>
File: alien & avatar.jpg (272KB, 1236x787px) Image search: [Google]
alien & avatar.jpg
272KB, 1236x787px
>>80500526
the extended/directors/assembly cut is better then the theatrical edition in many ways

Always i do preffer the alien bursting from the the dog scene more then the extended editions bursting off screen from an ox.

and the ending of the theatrical was better then the extended editions ending with how ripley dies
>>
>>80495335
What a fucking faggot teenage contrarian. I am 27 and saw this 10 years ago, so nostalgia it isn't. Effects are some of the best ever, and if your dumb ass saw the behind-the-scenes thing on the quadrilogy set, you'd see that Cameron worked his balls off trying to deliver and meet up to the level the first movie set. The hive wasn't completely made but you'd never know that by seeing the movie. The base wasn't a big thing either, parts were moved around to make it seem bigger than it was. He specifically asked his designers to make believable elements and props. And not even good at being an action movie? Goddam, what shit opinions. What Cameron did set the bar for what an action movie should be, what special effects have to live up to, what effort visuals should meet to even be considered scifi. This is like saying Hitchcock made shitty movies, and that he didn't know suspense from his fat ass. This is saying that Die Hard isn't good action. This is fucking ridiculous, man.
>>
>>80500717
Cameron said the na´vi would kill the xenomorphs.
They can't compete.
>>
>>80500717
I want to see those lanky blue berries overrun with these things.
>>
File: aliens vs darth vader.png (954KB, 1170x585px) Image search: [Google]
aliens vs darth vader.png
954KB, 1170x585px
>>80500569
the official (at the time) comic version of alien 3
shows that newt was indeed the first victim of the hugger. but when she drowns, the queen embryo crawls out of her mouth and goes into ripley
>>
>>80498047
reddit loves Aliens though
>>
It's a sad fucking day when contrarian wannabe-hipsters posit Alien 3 as a better movie than Aliens. Fucking plebbit immigrant faggots.
>>
>>80500739
Is this pasta? I can't tell
>>
>>80500777
He was talking about regular xenos which are tiny in comparison.
>>
>>80496124

>objectively
>subjectively

Fuck off
>>
I literally watched Aliens for the first time this past december (marathoned all 5 movies), and loved it. For people like us who were raised with Halo, calling it "generic" would be incredibly out of context. Yes, we have seen things like that tons of times... because people copied them from Aliens.

Also, I must say, my favorite movie in the series is Alien 3, for how fucking bleak and oppresive it is. Ripley's sacrifice is made really poignant by that atmosphere, poor woman is a martyr who died for the sake of a humanity that you are not even sure it deserves it.

The first movie had fantastic visuals, but the plot I found a bit lacking, I was expecting more from such a juggernaut of a classic.
>>
>>80496433

>1986 was 40 years ago
>>
>>80500717
He is a big chap
>>
>>80500412
>when a fedora reaches singularity
>>
>>80500777
i would say that xenomorphs and predators would wipe the na'vi out

predators with superior weapons, invisiblity and strenght.
just because a na'vi might be bigger doesn't make it stronger

xeno's with superior numbers, doesn't matter if it are regular xeno's or na'vi xeno's.
acid blood will still make the blue cats melts
>>
>>80500844
And yet shit on James Cameron. What I don't understand, is that those pussy censors love Marvel movies (which make bank and are massively liked) but hate Cameron's works.

>>80500858
Suck my dick. Unless you're a poorfag, buy the quadrilogy set and view the extra discs at the back. There's no excuse to remain ignorant of the amount of effort was put into making Aliens.
>>
>>80500777
>can't even kill humans
>would kill xenos

Cameron confirmed retarded
>>
File: 200233-alien-big-chap-005.jpg (148KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
200233-alien-big-chap-005.jpg
148KB, 1200x800px
>>80500986
lol big chap was the nick name for the xenomorph in the first movie
>>
>>80501161
It's kinda creepy to know how they used a real human skull to mold the alien. One would think an austrian had a bunch of human bones around to play with.
>>
>>80501161
if I cut one of those pipes, will he die?
>>
File: alien big chap.jpg (99KB, 745x494px) Image search: [Google]
alien big chap.jpg
99KB, 745x494px
>>80501222
originaly it wasn't even supposed to have the dome, but with the skull part in full few.
but they opted for the dome design as it looked more creepy
>>
File: magical realm giger.jpg (69KB, 630x417px) Image search: [Google]
magical realm giger.jpg
69KB, 630x417px
>>80501222
I would have been surprised if Giger did NOT have sever real human skulls lying around.
>>
>>80501253
no, but you would from the spray of acid that would melt your hand and face off
>>
>>80501293
yeah, it looks retarded with exposed skull
>>
>>80501317
Even after death, he's still creepy.
>>
>>80501325
why would someone spray a man with acid before biting his head off?
>>
>>80501222
>austrian
pls
>>
Lets talk about trainwrecks. Lets talk about alien 4
>>
>>80501475
Alien 4 is underrated.
>>
>>80501516
The Aliens were kinda awesome.
>>
>>80501475
Alien 4 is fun in a very schlocky way, I can't bring myself to hate it. It's basically a Roger Corman movie with a HUGE budget.
>>
File: 05.jpg (19KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
19KB, 480x270px
>>80501516
They weren't actual aliens. They were someone cooked in a lab. Their purity was damaged.
>>
>>80501516
it wasn't bad
just fails to live up to the previous 3 movies
it whent downhill once the newborn was revealed.

funfact: they had to change the newborn design for the movie, the Original design had a penis and vagina in full view.
>>
>>80500939
First movie is smaller in scope, seeing as it was supposed to just be a small-budget B-movie. This is partly why Aliens is good, it took what was a small thing and made it exponentially bigger in scope and effects. And it did so without changing the paradigm, apart from genre and adding in hive insect aspects.

This is why Alien 3 was such a let down for me. The extended cut isn't so much shit, as it is a retread of the first movie without adding anything new. If you read the comics and books you'd know that one version of what 3 was supposed to be was basically Aliens, but on earth. Some versions of THAT involved a cult trying to cause a xeno apocalypse, with their members willingly subjecting themselves with facehuggers. Another thing was possibly having the 3rd act take place on the xeno planet, and Newt involved with an android soldier (she's at least 16-17). All versions I read (comics and books) have the story focus on Newt and Hicks, with Ripley absent for some reason or other. Newt was at an insane asylum and Hicks breaks her out. Xenomorphs eventually overrun earth. Earth itself had a Blade Runner-esque visual style, with mega-corporations fucking shit up. Action and horror would be taken up a notch.

Alien 3 is such a massive let down. Instead we got prisoner/monks and Ripley.

>>80501516
I agree. The only really shit thing about it is the design of the hybrid at the end, and the direction the director chose. Who the fuck thought putting a french asshole known for quirky movies in charge would make for a good thing?
>>
>>80501806
I remember reading those books. Shit was pretty cash when I was 12.
>>
>>80501957
Me too, I had like 11
>>
>>80501046
Why should I admire the amount of effort used to make a shit movie?
>>
>>80502017
>In the original comic on which the novel is based, released before Alien 3 was made, Wilks, Billie and the Ripley synthetic were originally Hicks, Newt and Ellen Ripley, respectively. Their identities were changed in the novel to keep the story consistent with events portrayed in the film series.
I felt a little bummed when I learned about that.
>>
>>80494295
>That would be fine but this movie has aged horribly

It has?

Are you sure?

Is this bait?
>>
>>80502448
everything except the flying dropship still looks great, probably bait
>>
>>80496743
please move away from that androgynous child that i may chide you with passive aggressive quips.
>>
>>80502448
It's most likely a poorfag teenager who saw it on a laptop, and maybe was also distracted by their phone. The bluray on a big tv shows that it's held up rather well.

>>80496512
And contrarians say it sucks. We have ironic conservicucks, ironic prudes, and now ironic Aliens haters.
>>
File: giger.jpg (78KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
giger.jpg
78KB, 600x385px
>>80494295
Good taste, OP. Cameron turned the xenomorphs into killable bugs with a queen.
>>
>>80498093
starcraft wouldn't exist if it weren't for wh40k, which is what it started as until some kind of dispute. nids wouldn't exist without alien.
>>
>>80498505
hopefully never.
>>
Patrician Order Coming Through:

Alien 3 (Assembly cut) >>>>> Alien > Aliens > Predator > Prometheus > Predator 2 > Resurrection > AVP > AVP 2

Alien 3 is criminally underrated:
>that atmosphere
>those themes & motifs
>that score
>>
>>80494295
Yeah Aliens doesn't really gel as a sequel to the original. Like you say, the set design and lighting is a character itself in the original that gives it a really realistic mood and tangible aesthetic, whereas the lighting in Aliens is more utilitarian. That's basically tied to the types of movies they each are. Alien wants to immerse you in its agoraphobic picture of the universe so that the alien itself isn't just an anomalous element to be destroyed, but an element of the environment that the characters find themselves in. Aliens takes all that and throws it out the window. The danger isn't the cold, arbitrary and ruthless nature of the universe, it's those scary monsters that kill people and it's payback time.

I honestly think Predator pulled off what Aliens tried to do much better a year later.
>>
>>80494295
I loved it, even more than the original even though they're both basically separate genres. I think trying to remake Alien would be a mistake, which they tried to do with 3 and failed because Alien already established everything we needed to know about what the xenomorphs were capable of, the logical next step was to amp up the human threat and see how the aliens could respond.
>>
>>80504849
Such a shit opinion.

Aliens = Alien > Predator 1 > Predator 2 > AVP 1 > Predators > Prometheus > Resurrection > AVP 2 = Alien 3

See >>80501806
for why 3 isn't good.
>>
>>80495314
>replying to multiple posts, which makes reading the thread a chore
>replying just to call people stupid
Stay away next time. Anyway, Aliens is good fun and it's nowhere near the drop-off in quality that Predator was, but it's crammed with ugly, monotone environments and turns the ultimate horror into something you can blow way with a shotgun
>>
>>80495220
YOU ARE A MASSIVE FAGGOT
>>
>>80505061

Lol no, Alien 3 is kino, no fag on /tv/ will change that, get fucked with your shit tier list
>>
>>80505235
Your reply is proof of the fact that you've never even seen Aliens.
>>
>>80505304
His list is 100% right and your 200%faakin gay
>>
>>80505061

>implying any comic prior to 2014 is canon
>judging the movie based on its original concept and not what it actually turned out to be

Wow
>>
>>80499993
Yea all puppet and composite overlay
>>
>>80505235
>the only "ultimate horror" is reading your opinion of aliens and predator.
>>
I enjoyed them both for what they were. I'd give the edge to Alien, just for the tense atmosphere and stronger visuals, but Aliens is still amazing. Ripley is how you write and perform strong female characters.
>>
>>80505017
>the logical next step was to amp up the human threat and see how the aliens could respond.
You clearly don't understand what made the first one good.
>>
>>80494295
If they made Aliens a slow paced horror movie like the first one, you all would be crying it was exactly the same and that you would have liked to see what Xenomorphs could do and that the movie didn't show enough of it.

It had to evolve into something else or remain stale.

Everyone saying it was a shitty action flick is an idiot, the alternative would have been no sequels at all.
>>
>>80505304
>memes

Anyways, no, no it's not great. It's telling that the director calls it shit. After the stunning special effects in Aliens (that still hold up, mind you), one would expect 3 to have even better effects. Visually it just looks like it had a smaller budget than 1, and the only redeeming thing it has going for it is it looks used and abandoned. Acting is the only thing that is top-notch but it also only has a few characters you give a shit about. It killed off Newt and Hicks, so you can't even have any continuing plot lines from before. Script got rewritten an assload of times, and iirc it was worked on when shooting started. And it's basically a retread of 1.

>>80505410
When did I say it was canon? Don't put words in my mouth like I put my dick in your mom's mouth. And yes, one can judge a finished product on what was said it would be, or could be.
>>
>>80505786

Killing off Hicks and Newt is a plus in my book son, it's a nihilistic universe where the xenon always win
>>
>>80505693
Not that guy but Cameron did his own thing. The behind-the-scenes and interviews show that he couldn't just make a remake of the first one, and he would be criticized whatever he did so he decided to go his own way and meet the bar on what the first one set. I believe he succeeded in this, and so do 99% of people. Ironically enough, 3 is plot-wise the same as the 1st one, plays it safe, and fails to be great partly because of this.

>>80505695
This.

>>80505910
It stems from a plot hole and how exactly does it represent xenos always winning? To me it just seems like the producers didn't know how to work them in into the movie without having to increase the budget. This is why several scripts were made and why in the end they just gave Weaver money instead of giving WAY more money to the budget for special effects. The wooden planetoid/space station with monks would have been great, but I would have loved Aliens On Earth in place of that.
>>
>>80506098

No matter how hard they tried to fight them and stay alive, they still met their untimely death at the hands of the xenos, rendering aliens completely useless. Instead of following a stereotypical formula for sequels it took a complete 180; I love it for that
>>
im getting trolled so hard i cant believe it

im literally mad at all these teens saying alien 3 is good but aliens is shit

i want to log off but i cant
>>
>>80506278

Not saying Aliens is shit, just that Alien 3 is better
>>
File: 1489207500761.gif (2MB, 470x355px) Image search: [Google]
1489207500761.gif
2MB, 470x355px
>>80506635
but WHY
>>
File: Aliens Propaganda 80%.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Aliens Propaganda 80%.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>80494295
Alien > Aliens

[spoilers]but technically they're different genres and they both excel at what they set out to do.[/spoilers]
>>
>>80506683

Because the movie was a claustrophobic, dirty, avant-garde, dystopian, psychological take on the 1979 classic. It took everything that was good about the original and made it 10 times better. Instead of relegating the aliens to a bunch of expendable worker ants, it brought back the mystery of a single lone predator that no one could understand, let alone fuck with, even to the extent that Golic saw it as a creature of the occult which fit perfectly with the films other religious themes.

>better themes/motifs/misc symbolism
>better score
>better acting
>that dark, nihilistic atmosphere
>better xeno
>>
Would you let Vasquez peg you?
>>
>>80494295
For me both are great movies. 8/10 But I agree with you on the art directing and atmosphere of the first one being superior. But to be honest the action on the second felt more intense. I think this is directly related to what Ridley and James are really good at. Ridley, at least on his day built great atmosphere in his movies and James was always good at action but kinda dull at world building/ atmosphere stuff.
>>
>>80507929
By the way I was so hyped for the Prometheus and and devastatingly disappointed. It thought me to lower my expectations on these kind of sequel/soft reboot etc.
>>
>>80506728
This. While Aliens has it's horror elements it is an action movie.
>>
>>80507257
Honestly? Probably.
>>
>>80494295
It has the same genre change as the terminator movies, T1 and Alien were horror movies T2 and Aliens were action
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.