[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arrival question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

So, after seeing this shit house, a burning question:. How in the hell would humans NOT go insane if they could see time like a 4th dimensional being?

It's implied at the end of the movie that people are learning heptapod language, and the Chinese general even shows some awareness of this when he drops the hints about the phone number, etc.

How would the average Joe not have a mental breakdown knowing his own death small of the bad shit that was going to happen in his life?
>>
The concept of learning a new language that lets you see time is so stupid as it is, why bother questioning it any further.
>>
>We think based on our language
>So if we learn a circular language, we think circularly
>So we can look into the future/past
B R A V O V I L L E N E U V E

Denis is good when they have someone to keep his pretentiousness in check.
>>
they never stated the alien language would allow time travel.

only that it would allow humans to see things in a new light and in a less linear fashion
>>
>>80479193
The weak will be purged.
Only the pure and strong will survive.
That is the real lesson there.
>>
Am I the only one that had zero problem with accepting the language = brain change idea in the context of the movie? It wouldn't be the first time a movie required the suspension of disbelief, and this is hardly the worst case of it.

Also the music was terrific.
>>
>>80480448
Only autists and turboplebs criticize a sci-fi story on how realistic its gimmick is
>>
>>80480582
yeah but what if it's an anti-science sci-fi
>>
>>80479506
and then amy adam's literally time travels multiple times
>>
>>80479193
>>80479193

If a human tried to see a fourth dimensional object, it would be like one of those crazy screencaps you see of a satellite TV image freaking out. All we could do is try to interpret it in three dimensions. Same concept - interpreting multiple points of time at once but having to use linear understanding to make sense of them.
>>
>>80480448
Of course not.

A lot of people are stupid.
>>
>>80482623
since light only functions in three dimensional terms human eyes can't even see higher dimensional objects unless parts of that object bounce light around.

And the idea it'd be some craaaaazzy maaaan psychedelic bullshit is pretty silly.
>>
>>80479336
The only pretentious thing here is your idiotic post.

In the first place the movie is based on a book by science fiction writer Ted Chiang called "Story Of Your Life", and explores the metaphysics of language making it interesting with some ayyliums arrivals.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.