[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

and now for something completely reddit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: british humour.jpg (119KB, 714x590px) Image search: [Google]
british humour.jpg
119KB, 714x590px
and now for something completely reddit
>>
Ironic seeing as Monty Python is quintessential reddit "comedy"
>>
>>80410562
negro if you keep this up, people who don't know what you're talking about will just start interpreting "reddit" as good
>>
Lemon curry?
>>
Name a single thing wrong with Monty Python.
>>
File: chumby.jpg (22KB, 540x394px)
chumby.jpg
22KB, 540x394px
So I watched Holy Grail and The Meaning of Life about a year ago. I'm probably just a boring fuck, but what's so great about it? I watched it with friends who told me it's amazing, but all the lines they kept quoting weren't even that funny. I didn't dislike the films, I just thought they were average. Did my friends just hype them up so much that I was disappointed, or are they actually overrated?
>>
>>80410986

Graham Chapman was the one who died
>>
>>80411119
Neither of them are The Life of Brian, so you didn't get to see their best. Holy Grail's a quite overrated, especially because of the ending. Meaning of Life isn't that great beyond the beginning, Mr. Creosote and ESIS.
>>
>>80410986
>create a character
>his schtick is he does something bizarre or absurd
>his lines is that he says his own name or the absurd thing he does
>ad infinitum ad nauseum
>>
File: obese.jpg (20KB, 413x310px) Image search: [Google]
obese.jpg
20KB, 413x310px
>>80410102
>Murcan attempts to understand universal cultural phenomemon
>doesn't get it
>rants about it on 4chan
>>
>>80411119
Hype and spoilage really does lessen this sort of comedy: the idea is that you have this sort of idea of what a medieval movie is supposed to be like, or a biblical movie, and it subverts your expectations. Parody relies on more than just the general human experience to funny, it needs to grab onto and twist at social expectations.

I think Python still has good delivery, good execution, good presentation: you should be able to appreciate the craft in them as pieces of comedy. Brian in particular stands better on its own. But Python will never escape being parody and will grow less relevant, especially as they are endlessly imitated.
>>
>>80411119
You dont find it funny because because everyone else has built upon the good bits and stolen the style of humour to the point where every lowbrow redditor can quote it. Its the same if you watch the best of older film comedy, like the Marx Brothers and Chaplin. Comedy needs a certain novelty effect to be good, older comedy has been around too long and is no longer novel. Outrageous insults, slapstick or the absurd Monthy Python style is no longer novel so its not as funny as it was.

Even if you dont find it hilarious you are still a pleb if you cant appreciate its contribution to the evolution of comedy.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.