[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made early Spongebob so good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: spongebob-squarepants.jpg (72KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob-squarepants.jpg
72KB, 360x270px
What made early Spongebob so good?
>>
>>80395368
Nostalgia goggles
>>
>>80395368
The fact that you were probably a kid when it first came out and you are now an adult. I love the episodes i saw as a kid, but i cant stand the new episodes or the movies
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86dSssBSmA

Tiny tim.
>>
>>80396220
But the old episodes still hold up
>>
>>80396220

But is that simply because of nostalgia? Or was there something fundamentally better in the earlier seasons?
>>
>>80395368

Half the creators already had good practice doing Rocko's Modern Life.
>>
Pacing

Pacing makes any comedy show work because the good and bad jokes get equal grounding so those that work are hits no those that don't fall flat because they move on quickly.

It's what made prime Simpsons so great as well.
>>
the creator quit right around when the movie came out and they turned spongebob gay
>>
>>80396220
They were genuinely good in the first three seasons and new ones are horrible.

>>80395368
They original writers left.
>>
>>80395368
That it was a show made "for everyone" and not just for kids. It was funny and smart and the soundtrack kicked fucking ass
>>80396220
Not really, there was a definite and obvious drop in quality after Hillenburg left.
>>
>>80395368
Early as in pre-movie?

>Clever concept. The absurdity made you curious. I remember making fun of it at first when I was like 10
>Good voice acting
>Good writing. Memorable characters.
>Carefully done animation/unique style
>Those "realistic" still-frames
>Interspersing moments of childlike innocence among complete demented absurdity, along with the occasional bit of quasi-adult humor that you fully "get" when you're a few years older
>>
>>80396400
Also, timing as someone mentioned.

It wasn't the most refined shit, even for a kids show, but the pacing and timing were just perfect for the format.

Also, retards who talk about how nostalgia probably don't acknowledge that every person has a handful of shows that they "can't get into anymore", despite loving them as a kid.

I feel like if you truly still enjoy something even years later, upon further viewing, then it was (and is) good.

DESU I can handle Spongebob still. Can't say the same for Rugrats or Rocko's Modern Life, despite arguably enjoying those shows wayyy more as a kid.
>>
Combining absurdist humor for children with relatable plots for adults. Episodes like KKTV and Procrastination are even funnier as an adult now that I've experienced those situations.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.