[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

He did nothing wrong.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 21

File: passengers.jpg (214KB, 1024x538px) Image search: [Google]
passengers.jpg
214KB, 1024x538px
He did nothing wrong.
>>
after they find out they would have all died if he hadn't let her out sure
>>
he should just wake everyone up. they are not even the last remaining humans from earth
>>
>>80328362
Why didn't they make babies?
>>
>>80328362
>waking up the competition
Top cuck.
>>
File: 54535235656768679677.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
54535235656768679677.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>you will never live with your waifu on a space ship and watch kino and play vidya with her for the rest of your lives

and of course fuck all the time
>>
who cares
>>
At least wake up someone with some kind of mechanical skills to fix the ship and stuff, maybe figure out how to get back into stasis.
>>
>>80328449

did you fucking watch the movie? the crew were in their special area and he didn't know what was happening with the ship until years later
>>
>>80328431
It's good conversation because it's a flawed movie with an intriguing premise also because of fucking insanely hot chicks on a spaceship
>>
>>80328490
... and then larry fishburn wakes up, gives them the magic access band, and they fix the ship, then forget the magic access band exists
>>
>>80328490
Yeah well he could wake up someone who might be able to figure out how to open that door
>>
>>80328497
if by that you mean its a desperate attempt to keep a shit movie relevant/discussed/trending for more than a second, sure
>>
Haven't seen it

Why did this film get poor reviews
>>
>>80328605
Feminism.
>>
>>80328414
she looks gorgeous here
>>
>>80328605
>Why did this film get poor reviews

Absolutely no idea. Myself and pretty much everyone I know who has seen it all went in with low expectations due to the reviews, and then were surprised that it was actually a really good film.

Very underated in my opinion.
>>
>>80328308
Should've fuck her for a year or two, than lose her in tether accident and sleep the rest of the way.
>>
>>80328605
because its absolutely moronic, start to finish, and exists only to force a really stupid moral dilemma.
>>
>>80328308
If her plan was to go to the planet and then return to Earth, there was obviously a way to put someone back in to the pod. It's not like there would have been stuff waiting that could have put her back into stasis.

Surely she would have known how the fuck they were going to do it if she decided to go on the trip in the first place. They would have at least explained how her round trip would work.

I liked the movie, but the story of her returning to Earth added nothing to the story and just added a giant plot hole.
>>
>>80328676
DUDE HE COULDN'T ACTIVATE THE MACHINE HIMSELF LMAO
>>
>>80328605
>Why did this film get poor reviews

At the risk of going slightly /pol/ I honestly believe it's due to some wierd view that it is anti-feminist or mysogonist something.

Go on IMDB and compare the professional critics reviews against those of normal peoples. It's quite a stark contrast.
>>
>>80328634
>>80328673
>>80328688
>>80328713
Interesting

I may see it yet
>>
File: animitronics.jpg (72KB, 511x496px) Image search: [Google]
animitronics.jpg
72KB, 511x496px
>>80328308
Didn't watch the movie and don't plan on it

anyone give me a quick rundown?
>>
I'm really liking the modern marketing tactic of labeling all negative criticism as politically motivated and thus to be dismissed.
>>
>>80328747
guy wakes up and he feels lonely so he wakes Jennifer Lawrence up and she hates him but he saves them then she loves him so they don't return to sleep
>>
>>80328673
It felt a lot like a bad copy of the Groundhog day with worse ending. The ending was too forced and convenient.
>>
It's not good, but it's not bad.
Just a flick.
>>
>>80328747
Ship malfunctions, dude wakes up 90 years too early and decides to wake up hoy chick because he's lonely.

She finds out, drama, fix the ship, roll credits.
>>
>>80328818
*hot
>>
>>80328713
No, it's because it's bad. That action bullshit at the end, eyeroll inducing.
>>
>>80328786
Definitely felt like they filmed 4 endings and test screened them and that one got 35% of the votes
>>
>>80328754

Well /tv/ hates every single film ever made so this doesn't surprise me.
>>
File: jlaw-chris-pratt-passengers.png (956KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
jlaw-chris-pratt-passengers.png
956KB, 1080x720px
>>80328783
real question, how is Jennifer's body in this film and is there any unnecessary nudity?
>>
>>80328786
>>80328857

I'll agree with you on the ending. There were like three or four conclusions.

Otherwise I thought it was pretty excellent.
>>
File: 1438302945400.jpg (10KB, 228x210px) Image search: [Google]
1438302945400.jpg
10KB, 228x210px
>5000 people
>one medical bay
>>
>>80328921
She's hot; no nudity. And she gets all pissy and stompy at the end which is annoying.
>>
>>80328713
It's weird, but from the trailers I just assumed it was Love Story in Space. I can't speak for anyone else but nothing about any of the preview media made me think it was worth watching. I like Pratt and I don't hate JLaw but it just looked super boring.
>>
>>80328921
everyone knows her nudes are online

it kills the mystery and takes away from the hotness

still obviously would bang
>>
>>80328913
I know its hard to discern the contrarianism (bvs is good) from legit criticism (passengers is bad) but that doesn't mean you can just dismiss it all equally.
>>
>>80328962
>crew has to be put back to sleep for the return trip
>no way to do that
>>
hold up

people have actually watched this movie?
>>
>>80329070
well, downloaded.
>>
>>80329046
>assuming that there's not a facility on the planet
>>
File: advertisement.webm (911KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
advertisement.webm
911KB, 1920x1080px
>>80329070
parts of it
>>
>>80329081
the crew has to pilot the ship for a period before they'll be put back to sleep, just like they're woken up a short period before the passengers
>>
>>80328380
incest
>>
>>80329046
The real question is why even have a crew when it's asleep for 99% of the voyage.
>>
>>80329127
why so the magical black man can wake up and tell the main characters whats wrong before dying of course!
>>
>ending shot of the huge garden the characters made during their lives together on the ship before dying of old age

>realize there wasn't any dirt on the ship

>everything was planted in their shit
>>
>>80329106
okay?
>>
>>80329196
so what good do re-freeze facilities on the colony do when the crew needs to be put to sleep millions of miles away?
>>
If you ever get the urge to see this movie just watch Pandorum, it's basically the same premise only a lot better
>>
>>80328688
>only to force a really stupid moral dilemma.
That's pretty much the point of fiction you fucking idiot.
>>
>>80329106

So wait, if the crew pilots the ship for a while before they get put to sleep, how can they be unable to put people to sleep on the ship without magic medpod?
>>
>>80329348
why are you asking me the question i originally posed
>>
>>80328652
she always looks gorgeous
>>
>>80328652
>>80329458
>she
>>
>>80329324
>all fiction awkwardly forces hamfisted moral dilemmas

... is that really your argument?
>>
I liked this movie. It wasn't great but I still liked it.
>>
can we go back to liking jlaw/not constantly talking shit about her again? it was fucked up how /tv/ turned on her after the fappening.
>>
>>80329581
wasn't it more to do with how she kinda ruined the first class movies by being unwilling to do absolutely anything remotely difficult and still demanding highest billing and the most screen time?
>>
Couldn't even get through the first 2 paragraphs of the plot before realizing how retarded this sounds. Throw 2 meme actors into the mix and this is just one big superficial shit show that was obviously designed to look flashy with a strong plot secondary to that
>>
>>80328308
>He did nothing wrong.

>be mechanic
>be traveling to another planet because tired of earth because there's nothing to fix
>sleep pod breaks and wakes up too early
>try fix it
>fails
>elevator starts acting funny
>ignore it
>robots start acting funny and breaking
>just ignore it
>reroute ship's water system to a tree that you planted as an apolagy to the girl you just sentenced to death and technically raped
>girl he's been obsessing over the past year gets locked in her room for 2 days straight
>didn't even notice
>flight crew wakes up and straight up tells them to look for what is wrong
>he dies
>immediately forget what you were supposed to be doing even though gravity failed and almost killed gf
i really hate this movie, even if jlaw or that guy from parks n rec (can't be bothered looking up his name) weren't in it i would still have hated it
>>
Pratt and JLaw done really good performances in this. Better than most of their movies.
>>
>>80328308

He literally gave her a death sentence on a ship alone with him

Sure if I was in that situation I would probably do the same thing, that doesn't mean its fucking evil condeming someone to that fate because you think their pretty

>>80328380

Their kids would likely die from old age before anyone else woke up, maybe stopping at one, then freezing it in medical stasis to at least pass on their dna
>>
>>80329106
Not necessarily. The ship looks like it's space only. Assuming the space station it's going to dock with at the end has a facility that does it, they only have to cart the pods back inside the ship, lock the crew compartment, exit and remote activate the ship. The crew likely don't need to do shit other than take care of the passengers.
>>
>>80329417

I wasn't following the conversation, just saw your post and hovered to see what it was responding to.
>>
>>80329652
>technically raped
Come again?
>>
>>80329760
sounds like the crew doesn't really need to do anything at all. which begs the question, why have crew at all?

This trail of questions is what happens with legitimate plot holes. As it doesn't matter how you fill the plot hole, more questions are generated.

if anything it feels like they put in all these plot holes on purpose in order to keep the movie trending for longer than five seconds.
>>
>>80329825
Modern planes don't need pilots either, yet they still exist. It's not a plot hole you just have autism.
>>
If you don't know JLaw and will never meet her, is it bad or wrong to download her pics and view them? This is some kind of ethical/philosophical puzzle, along the lines of if a tree falls in the forest when no one is there does it make a sound.
>>
>>80329876
i live half way around the world in one of the most populated cities on the continent, chances of me meeting her is next to none
>>
>>80329526
>hasn't seen the nudes
>>
>>80329854
>Modern planes don't need pilots
between that and >>80329324, this thread has the two dumbest things I've seen posted in a week.

good job man
>>
wow, he couldn't live one (1) single year without needing a real human to talk to, poor guy
>>
>>80329854
>modern planes don't need pilots
>commercial pilot literally one of the highest paying jobs
top kek
>>
>>80329534
Yes. Almost all fiction (in particular science-fiction) exists to build in some way extreme situations, including moral dilemmas. You can of course go ahead and criticize the execution here and you might have a point, but criticizing a movie because it puts the protagonist into the situation of a moral dilemma is plain retarded.
>>
>>80329915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_vWtAJIow

this is an airbus 320 doing a zero visibility approach below minimums and automatic roll-out completely automated all the way to taxi.

if you think modern planes *need* pilots you're fucking clueless.
>>
>>80329978
in this instance I was, in fact, criticizing the movie for sacrificing any and every sort of logic or consistency in favor of a really weak and silly moral dilemma.

to which you responded that all movies do this.
>>
>>80329963
>65k a year
>highest paying job
Are you stupid? My highschool math teacher made double that.
>>
>>80328605
All the reviewers hate the film for being creepy with the guy watching the girl sleeping for a year straight.
>>
File: jfeet.png (1000KB, 1796x926px) Image search: [Google]
jfeet.png
1000KB, 1796x926px
>>80328414
wew lads...say what you want about JLaw, she has godtier feet
>>
>>80329997
pilots are necessary because you can't program for every situation

the entire plot of passengers is built around the idea they did program for every situation and no matter what went wrong, the crew was not going to be woken up at any point.
>>
>>80328308
Except playing in this crap
>>
>>80330054
>god tier
no
>>
>>80328308

Yes, he did.

Telling the bartender about his plans to wake her up.
>>
>>80330057
You can't train for every situation either.
>>
>>80330004
>in this instance I was, in fact, criticizing the movie for sacrificing any and every sort of logic or consistency in favor of a really weak and silly moral dilemma.
No, you basically wrote

>It's stupid and it forces a moral dilemma!
>>
>>80330029
>130k a year
>high school math

hahaha what shithole country do you live in and what's your fake currency called?
>>
>>80330112
It always baffles me how poor the average internet user's reading comprehension is, considering all they'll do is read.
>>
Is it ever explained why a ship designed to store all of it's passengers in cryogenic freeze has a bar and a lounge and is basically a giant floating space hotel?
>>
>>80330110
you don't need to because humans are capable of intuition, another thing you can't program.
>>
>>80329825
Yeah and who takes care of the passengers? And who fixes shit when it breaks (assuming the computer does a better job of waking up techs to fix shit, usually)? If there is shit needs replacing/fixing at the end of the journey, who's going to do it? And who the fuck wants to board a ship on that long a voyage with no crew?
>>
>>80330152
They're programmed to wake up 4 months before landing.
>>
>>80330029
nigga any decent pilot flying a jet makes well over 100k and their pay increases with experience, what are you even on about
>>
>>80330154
>what is machine learning
face it, you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>80330029
>high school teacher
>130k
yeah right
>>
>>80330169
considering the crew didn't do any of that anyway and the computer at no point made any attempt to wake up any crew to fix the cascading failures and even larry fishburn made no attempt to wake up more crew to fix the ship, implying the crew would never wake up for any reason before the scheduled time to wake up... why are you trying to argue about this? Literally every aspect of the movie is a plot hole.
>>
>>80330203
you know public school salaries are public record right? just look it up and educate yourself.
>>
>>80330202
haha, dude, are you trying to post the stupidest shit possible or something?
>>
>>80328308
He should have woken up a couple hundred people. Still able to have a normal life, not significantly impacting colonization efforts.
>>
>>80329736
In hindsight, he still didn't do anything wrong. Our intentions can be utterly inconsequential of the result of our actions. Did he wake her up because he was lonely? Yes. If he hadn't woken her up, would she have died even sooner instead of living out her life on a planet or even doing her round-trip and subsequent writing? Also yes. Recall that Morpheus died due to irreparable complications and wasn't alive to fulfill the two-man operation that inarguably saved the ship.
>>
>>80330138
You should probably start writing in full sentences in case you don't want to be misunderstood. No idea what makes you think that that vague half-sentence translates into whatever you explained afterwards.
>>
>>80330225
>haha im a college drop out who doesnt know anything about automation
ok?
>>
>>80330240
>exists only to force a really stupid moral dilemma.

I think you're just stupid. But you're defending this movie. So you're either you're too stupid to remember to breathe regularly or you're just doing it for attention.
>>
File: f93.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
f93.png
279KB, 898x790px
>not waking up different women to get your rape on then sending them out the garbage chute into space... repeat process
>>
>>80329175
There was dirt in the hold with the animals and plants and shit
>>
>>80328673
>really good film.
come the fuck on, it's a cliche romance flick in space with some pretty cool scifi visuals
>>
>>80330249
>dude u can automate for things that have never happend before

I will never understand why people enjoy being called idiots in response to posting stupid shit.
>>
>>80330204
Yeah you remember the guy that wasn't supposed to wake up, woke up? In case you didn't notice, the computer malfunctioned. That's the point. Shit happens, if it didn't you wouldn't have a movie.
>>
File: outer door nonresponsive.webm (853KB, 1600x672px) Image search: [Google]
outer door nonresponsive.webm
853KB, 1600x672px
IM ACTING
>>
>>80330281
>if it wasn't for horrendously bad writing you wouldn't have a movie

you say that like it would've been a bad thing
>>
>>80330202
That's not what intuition is. Machine learning is only as intuitive as the training set prepared your algorithm to be. Extrapolating beyond that will basically give you random results in regions where the training set wasn't dense enough. We are not quite there yet.
>>
File: dance off bro.webm (2MB, 1400x588px) Image search: [Google]
dance off bro.webm
2MB, 1400x588px
dude gravity lmao
>>
>>80330301
>"But this doesn't happen"
>it doesn't need to
>"BAD WRITING"
>>
>>80330262
Amazing arguments
>>
>>80330318
>intuition is a metaphysical intrinsic human trait not a behavioral algorithm
LOL

also
>we're not there yet
Yeah good thing this movie doesn't take place in 2017 as evident by the fact that they are flying to other planets at over half the speed of light completely automated while the human occupants are in 120 year suspended animation.
>>
>>80330331
hello parallel universe poster coming in from a completely different discussion
>>
>>80330322
so when the gravity stopped and she couldn't swim out of the water bubble is that like actual science or just bullshit?
>>
>>80330262
>>exists only to force a really stupid moral dilemma.
This doesn't even make sense. The dilemma is the only thing making the plot interesting and if there wasn't one, there probably wouldn't even have been a film to begin with. Unless Castaway in a spaceship with a shittier actor is something anyone finds vaguely interesting.
>>
>>80330375
okay so now you're arguing that machine intuition played any sort of role in the movie
>>
>>80328308
I would have woken up 3 or 4 of the best looking ones desu
>>
>>80330401
its really funny how upset you seem over your inability to comprehend a pretty simple and tight statement.

Its not like anything complex was written there.
>>
>>80330396
There wasn't a single part of the movie that wasn't just bullshit.
>>
>>80330388
Recap for the very stupid:
>The crew had to have some pods that put them to sleep so they can pilot at the start of the voyage
Not necessarily.
>But why have a crew?
Because when shit breaks, it's usually up to the crew to fix it. Also, thousands of lardasses running around the ship need looking after.
>But why doesn't the computer act to do just that?
Because it broke. And it broke because if it didn't you'd have 2 hours of a movie looking at people sleeping and a some (admittedly nice) ship interior sets.
>MUH BAD WRITING
Nah, you just a tool.
>>
>>80330477
so the writing is good because of things that didn't happen and no one attempted to do once they could
>>
>>80330406
I'm not even talking about the movie.
I don't care about minuscule plot holes.

But, "intuition" is not metaphysical it's an algorithm like any other.
And machines will eventually be that good assuming we don't kill ourselves before then.

There's almost no situation a plane could be in that a pilot could save that a computer couldn't. I can't even think of one. And that's now, not in 200 years. The failure rate of a computer is always going to be better than a human, but we are emotional beings who believe in shit like luck and other metaphysics.
>>
>>80330264
This is why I always say this movie could have easily been a horror slasher film, starting with JLaw waking up and falling in love with Pratt only to discover evidence of the many women he has already awoken/fucked/discarded over the years he's been awake. He tries to do the same to her but she resists and defeats him, ending with her recording/writing an account of the events and then settling into the med dock to go back to sleep.
>>
>>80330428
You're horrible at reading people if you think I seem upset. And after a single post, too. Regardless, that's completely irrelevant.

You're right in that that sentence's not complex tho. It's also arse-backwards and meaningless.
>>
>>80330396
Not having gravity doesn't get rid of force.
You can swim out of the water just the same with acceleration of your hands against the mass of the water. That part annoyed me.
>>
>>80330529
It seems like you're just really stupid, yo
>>
>>80330538
I thought that's what the movie was going to be honestly.
>>
>>80330547
>You're right in that that sentence's not complex tho.

So you're saying the script wasn't written backwards from the desired moral dilemma and all inconsistencies and plotholes were ignored because they were necessary to force the moral dilemma?

Care to quantify that at all?
>>
>>80330555
>give logical argument to evolutionary machine learning of the future
>yo ur dum yo
alright
>>
>>80330375
No, I'm not talking about the future of machine learning, I'm talking about machine learning, right now. And you might think that intuition is some kind of "metaphysical trait", but it really isn't. Deep Learning may have yielded some impressive results, but the problems they are used on are still extremely specific and learning routines have to be very carefully applied. It can't be compared to what humans do, it's beyond the capabilities of current algorithms. See also https://arxiv.org/abs/1412.1897
I actually never really liked that paper, but it clearly shows that the way neural networks are fooled is basically showing behavior that is the opposite of intuition.

And of course, some algorithms exists to mimic human learning perfectly, but that's not what this is about.
>>
>>80330597
>arguing things that aren't relevant to any discussion that you, yourself have almost no understanding of isn't stupid

okay bro
>>
>>80328388
>implying he wouldn't only wake up other women to give himself a harem, while sabotaging all the male pods to ensure they could never be ressusitated
>>
>>80330396
bullshit. In reality she probably just sat still and let buoyancy take her to the surface of the bubble, you know like when you go under water and you float upwards or even a slight stroke from her would allow her to move to the surface, you know like how you can swim underwater. Without gravity it'll probably be fucking easier to do these things but hell I'm no scientific adviser on a movie set.
>>
>>80330515
God, your grasp of logic beggars belief. I don't give a shit about the writing. Your autismo facsimile in trying to convert a mild contrivance into a plot hole, on the other hand, is retarded.

There's plenty else to piss about this flick if all you want to do is shitpost.
>>
>>80330627
>dude the fact the crew had no way to go back to sleep isn't a plot hole stop talking about it you have bad logic!!

... great argument bro
>>
In retrospect, it was a pointless movie.

At least have a villain and some ayy lmaos or an actual reason why Pratt woke up.
>>
>>80330057
Actually you probably can, at least to a point where the computer out-performs the human 99.9% of the time. But this is not the case in modern aircraft, therefore there is still need for a pilot.
>>
>>80330675

>every movie needs a villain
>>
>>80330626
buoyancy does require gravity

but lack of buoyancy would not make it more difficult to swim

and its absurd anyone is talking about this at all. the movie is pure indefensible bullshit start to finish
>>
>>80330626
without gravity buoyancy doesn't exist breh
but yeah you can still swim in water with no gravity, shit was stupid.
>>
>>80330538
I would have enjoyed this except the audience will be missing out on pratt's """""hilarious""""" adventures alone in the spaceship
>>
>>80328308

Alpha males will say he was right.
Beta males will say he was wrong.
>>
>>80330586
What inconsistencies and plotholes?

And how is the dilemma forced when it's the only thing the plot has going for it?
>>
>>80328605
It's really fucking boring and the movie keeps ominously alluding to some kind of 'twist' that caused the dude's pod to malfunction but it's literally just a hole in the giant fucking reactor that's powering the ship
>>
>>80328308
>"HE MURDERD ME"
10 minutes later
>"NO I CANT LET YOU DIE OUTSIDE, IF YOU DIE I WANNA DIE"
Great job
>>
>>80330740
>how is the dilemma forced when it's the only thing the plot has going for it

How do you not realize you're answering your own question?
>>
>>80330683
The pilots are there because people wouldn't fly on a plane without a pilot. That's literally the only reason. (And at the moment it's probably more cost effective to have a human do it). But, in 50 years they will only be there because people want them there unless cultural perception of automation changes.
>>
>>80330666
Yep, he's retarded. Satan confirms.
>>
>>80330771
son there's already been some horrendously stupid shit posted in this thread. You aren't going to top it.
>>
>>80330694
>>80330722
but the air in her is lighter than water (maybe lighter is the wrong term because no gravity) so the air would be trying the escape the water. Pressure still exists without gravity. She would just be moving to the closest part of the surface of the bubble no?
>>
>>80328308
>I will take you on a journey to do my selfish ways
>did nothing wrong
pick one
>>
>>80330723
I wonder if Pratt could pull off a murdering psychopath
>>
>>80330756
From a plot standpoint, yes, that is its main draw. The movie still doesn't "exist only to force it". How are you unable to understand the difference?

Again, what are the compromises and plotholes and hand-waves people took because according to you they were too mesmerized by it? Because if you managed to explain that, that sentence could have some credence. In and of itself, it's shitpost-level criticism.
>>
>>80330816
... are they not teaching buoyancy in middle school anymore or did you just fail that class?
>>
File: this is a 10 out of 10 on 4chan.jpg (199KB, 900x958px) Image search: [Google]
this is a 10 out of 10 on 4chan.jpg
199KB, 900x958px
>murder jennifer lawrence
>live the rest of my life in peace
>>
>>80330806
It's not stupid it's common sense.
We send automated rockets and satellites into space all the time.
Do you really think we can't automate a passenger plane?
90% of the flight is already completely automated. The only autopilot failures we have are because the computer doesn't have enough control and the pilot makes an error while flirting with his attractive female co-pilot (literally happened).

In 50 or 100 years, if commercial pilots still exist, it will be because of public perception of automation and no other reason.
People want to know that there's someone like them at the wheel. Someone who has luck and "intuition".
Even though that intuition is wrong 90% of the time - especially in a plane with no horizon. (our entire perception of space is based on vision).
>>
>>80330864
using the term failsafe wrong is a big example. Crew never being woken up is a bigger example. no consequences for tampering with sensitive equipment is another example. no way to put people to sleep on a sleeper ship, is yet another example.

basically every aspect of the plot is a gigantic hole that is skipped over because the priority was that shitty little moral dilemma
>>
>>80330903
>hi i have no idea what I'm talking about
>let me post even more about shit I have no understanding of

for what purpose
>>
>>80330882
I guess I failed it. This clip proved me wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT0GPyam4wU&t=64
>>
>>80328693
>Her round trip was 400 years + I'd imagine she'd spend more time on the destination planet
>It's more than likely FTL will be a thing before they even get to their destination planet in their colony ship.
>They get beat there by some space jockeys in millenium falcon replicas
>>
>>80330928
I don't get it.. either you're a total brainlet or trolling.
Pilots already rely on sensors (analog or digital makes no difference) entirely in IMC.

Your brain cannot fly a plane in IMC (or night time). Your inner ear will fuck with your perception. Human intuition is wrong.
>>
>>80330626
>>80330322
the water would've still stuck to her face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5gtOkyCG0
>>
>>80330222
I just did and there's not one piece of data suggesting they make anywhere near 100k
>>
>>80330396
She was panicked and confused, there's no such thing as zero g swimming lessons.
>>
>>80331048
>I don't get it
You're basically pure dunning kruger
>>
>there is a reason they woke up
Why did they hype this up when the "reason" they woke up is just an asteroid and it's the literal first scene of the movie?
>>
>>80331065
Hes austrialian. The shitty bush pilots don't make much money.
>>
>>80331078
I'm a licensed vfr GA pilot so no.
>>
File: what's gravity 01.webm (3MB, 1200x504px) Image search: [Google]
what's gravity 01.webm
3MB, 1200x504px
>>80331055
>tears don't fall
right in the feels man
>>
File: 1479656941284.jpg (41KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1479656941284.jpg
41KB, 480x640px
>beautiful ship
>generally hardish scifi
>ruin it with jlaw and a shitty romance plot
>>
>>80329175
>they literally showed the final shot of the movie in the trailer
>advertising campaign based around the "reason" they woke up when it's not a plot element of any actual relevance

how little did sony care about this film exactly?
>>
>>80331104
>I'm a licensed vfr

congratulations, you can fly a cesna
>>
>>80331065
>I live in the middle of nowhere
ok? look up a school in a 60%+ white city of california.
>>
>>80331117
only reasonable explanation is they're making bad movies on purpose in hopes they'll trend longer than simply mediocre movies.
>>
>>80330264
>>80330538
>when anons on /tv/ easily come up with superior screenplay ideas from the same premise
seriously why do hollywood screenwriters even get paid
>>
>>80330538

How about a reversed roles scenario?

That would make for an even more tense atmosphere.
>>
>>80328308
My problem with this colony ship thriller is it would make more sense to have a skeleton crew switch out every several years/year. They've already got plenty of room on the ship and relying fully on automation proved itself to be stupid - because it's a bleeding edged colony ship afterall.
Then IMO it would end up making too much sense like that horror movie set on a colony ship released several years ago where a bunch of people went crazy
>>
>>80331121
What are you? Oh that's right nothing.
It doesn't matter anyway. It's simple physics and biology.
You're just retarded.
>>
>>80331152
>dude I've got a hobby pilots liscenes and you dooon't

... bro, really
>>
File: what's gravity 02.webm (3MB, 1400x588px) Image search: [Google]
what's gravity 02.webm
3MB, 1400x588px
>>80331109
>>
>>80331148
If only they created a world where there were no problems to solve and thus no moral dilemmas then it would be a great movie!
>>
>>80331169
Exactly, you're an armchair nothing.
>>
>>80331181
if only they had just not made the movie or figured out something more interesting to do with it
>>
>>80331208
Why are you so angry about having your babby's first pilot's license laughed at?
>>
>>80329736
>willing to lose 400 years and return to a future where her biological family might not even exist due to fembots
>For a story
>When fact of the matter is it's more than likely earth will have developed FTL travel and communications by the time she gets there, and the colony ship will probably be beaten there by FTL explorers

She deserved it
>>
>>80331104
>DUDE I TOOK FLYING LESSONS IN CESNAS SO PILOTS ARE GOING TO BE COMPLETELY UNNECESSARILY AND ONLY THERE TO MAKE PASSENGERS FEEL BETTER

they teach people to fly in cesnas for a reason.
>>
>>80331083
I just want to know why they're 100% absolutely positively certain that pod failure is impossible when they don't even bother worrying about or have any plan in place to deal with the very real possibility of a large meteoroid collision.
>>
The only people who think he did something wrong are overweight bitter legbeards who complain about everything
>>
>>80331279
because otherwise they couldn't force the moral dilemma
>>
>>80331268
I don't fly a cessna I fly a baron 55
and you're not making an argument
>>
>>80331268
Also you don't even know how to spell cessna lmfao
>>
>>80331341
>man who flies training planes thinks pilots are unnecessary

these planes are designed to be easy to fly
>>
>>80331311
Yes they could, equipment failure can happen and have no solution without it being explicitly stated as "impossible"
>>
>>80331397
But that would take screen time away from the deep moral dilemma
>>
File: slingshot around Arcturus 01.webm (1MB, 1800x756px) Image search: [Google]
slingshot around Arcturus 01.webm
1MB, 1800x756px
Is it possible to slingshot around a star?
>>
>>80331391
you're beyond words retarded. baron 55 isn't a trainer.
and r22's are "training" helicopters but they are harder to fly than 206s.

you've been decimated in every possible way. you've demonstrated that you don't know basic physics, you don't know basic biology, you don't have any grasp of automation or machine learning, you don't understand that intuition is not metaphysical, you don't even know how to spell cessna - let alone have any understand of flight. Yet somehow you think you're right.

good luck with your 7-11 career.
>>
File: slingshot around Arcturus 02.webm (3MB, 1200x504px) Image search: [Google]
slingshot around Arcturus 02.webm
3MB, 1200x504px
>>
>>80331131
>teacher wages in commiefornia
>all of them still well under 100k
but anon no stats I've seen support your argument
>>
>>80331457
Earth does it every year?
>>
>>80331457
Of course, why not?
>>
>>80331481
>man with most basic pilot's license in existence is trying to act like an authority on commercial airlines
>>
>>80331484
WHY

IS THERE

AN OBSERVATION AUDITORIUM

IF NO ONE IS GOING TO BE AWAKE FOR ANY OF THAT SHIT
>>
>>80331457

It has mass, yes. If it can take the heat.
>>
>>80331528
they would wake up 4 months before comming to the new planet
>>
>>80331539
those four months would be nothing but deceleration.
>>
>>80331492
Then you didn't look them up.
Go to transparent california website.
Pick a school district from a non-shit area.
>>
>>80331552
nope
its science
aint gotta explain shit
>>
>>80331561
>man who can fly fischer price airplanes acting like expert on teacher wages
>>
>>80331563
the movie itself talks about how there will be years of deceleration and people will only be awake for the last few months of it.
>>
>>80331573
>An expert at freely available pay records
Don't you want to be well-informed for once in your life? It's okay to be wrong.
>>
>>80329070
Yeah I watched it.

>the premise is good, sci-fi and cgi elements cool unless you're 110% anal about things being realistic
>acting is on point, story on good track for first half
>turns into generic heroshit for second half and ending, main characters go from ohshitdisinteresting to yawn in 1 scene
>character conflicts resolved almost instantaneously because lol saved my life :^))))))) I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU NOW

It could have been so much more.
>>
>>80331619
its been clear for a while you're just doing it for attention
>>
>>80331636
>the plot has more holes than a cargo net
>only autistic people care tho xd
>>
>>80331636
>>80331683
Actually, another problem I had with it

>only allowed basic bitch tier food/drinks
>access to fucking space suit and space walks

Yeah no shit it was full of plot holes and ass pulls.
>>
File: 1484252155513.jpg (37KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1484252155513.jpg
37KB, 400x386px
>I don't understand this therefore it's dumb
>I don't like this therefore it's a plot hole

The thread.
>>
File: hmm.png (56KB, 844x890px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
56KB, 844x890px
>>80331642
Doing what? Being right?
>>
>>80331698
you forgot
>I'm pretending to like shit for attention
>>
File: hmmmmm.png (23KB, 626x136px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmm.png
23KB, 626x136px
>>80331642
I guess you know more than the CEO of Boeing..
>>
>>80331561
>hurr pilots don't make money look at how low their salaries are at the very bottom
>high school teachers make more here's a list of the top >1% highest paid teachers in the USA
top kek why can't dumb people into statistics
>>
>>80331733
>>80331806
You have no idea what you're reading.
>>
>>80331818
>He thinks 30 year veteran captains of major airlines aren't the 1% of commercial pilots
Oopsie! Baby made a mistakey!
>>
>>80331858
its okay if you don't feel any shame at being you, I'm felling it for you.
>>
>>80331872
Why should I feel shame over being correct?
>>
>>80331886
you aren't, you're just too dunning-kruger to know it
>>
>>80331896
You haven't offered a single argument in return.

See: >>80331806
Go on, prove the CEO of Boeing wrong.. we're waiting.
>>
>>80331924
if you don't currently understand how you're wrong, how could anyone explain to you how you're wrong?
>>
>>80331858
you're the one using the top 1% of teachers to support your argument
>>
>>80331948
Waiting for you to prove the CEO of Boeing and leading aviation experts wrong.
Can you?
>>
>>80331989
You don't understand what they're saying and don't seem capable of any greater understanding than you currently have.

But you're getting attention so you're happy :)
>>
>>80329904
pls be in london
>>
>>80331959
Top 30% actually. You're ignoring the fact that high paying states also have the most teachers.
>>
>>80332017
Can you prove the CEO of Boeing wrong?
>>
>>80329822
everything is rape nowadays

people can't think for themselves rationally anymore
>>
>>80331693
>can hack his way into a luxury suite
>can't crowbar his way into a better meal
>>
>>80332060
That would first require the ceo of boeing to say something meaningful.
>>
It's a community college dropout neckbeard on 4chan pretends to be smarter than the CEO of Boeing and ignores freely available public records to continue living in his delusions of intelligence episode. A classic.

I'd like to continue decimating you, but I've gotta go to work. Hope you sleep well all day ;)
>>
>>80332165
>have no idea what you're talking about
>get argued into corner
>declare yourself victorious and remove yourself from the argument

every time
>>
>>80332165
>but I've gotta go to work
Good, those burger patties won't flip themselves
>>
>>80332188
>get argued into a corner
is that what you call ad hominem?
>>
>>80332222
now you're using logical fallacies incorrectly.

that's awesome.
>>
>>80332243
attacking the merit of the poster rather than the idea is exactly what you've done since post 1.
>>
>>80331539
>4 months before coming to the new planet
also the movie didn't mention that they would land immediately after waking up the crew

they have all those teaching rooms and other preperation facilities
they would probably circle around the new planet for months before deciding where to settle

because if they have to travel 130 years to that thing they won't have any sensor data on the planet structure and where it's actually most habitable

tldr: they would circle the planet for months before landing
>>
>>80332046
>implying average salary in high paying states is 6 figures
>implying 100k+ isn't the very top even in high paying states
I hope whoever taught you statistics in high school wasn't getting paid over 100k
>>
>>80328308
>everything has a full set of spare parts/backups
>except for the single autodoc onboard

wew lad

much plot convenient

so drama
>>
>>80332266
its not an adhom when you post idiocy then get called an idiot
>>
>>80330753
actually a pretty accurate depiction of woman behaviour
>>
>>80332311
ignoring the fact that it isn't idiocy.
that's exactly what it is, even if it was.
>>
>>80332325
No one has sufficiently high opinion of your intellect to think you're remotely capable of understanding any sort of reasoned debate or counter arguments.
>>
>>80331457
Yeah, but doing it at 0.5 c would probably disintegrate the whole ship, or make the passengers into an organic slushy at the very least
>>
>>80332275
>Still refuses to look up public records
$100k is not the 1%. It's about the top 30%.
There's literally nothing else I can do to help you.
They data is all there for you to read.
>>
>>80332341
Nice cop out, brainlet.
>>
>>80332357
so you can't read or understand data even when its laid out before you
>>
>>80332349
>doing it at 0.5 c would probably disintegrate the whole ship
based on what?
>>
>>80332399
general relativity?
>>
>>80332389
That's literally what I just said to you.
If you looked at the public records you would see that it's not the top 1%.
CA has 15% of all teachers in the US and CA isn't even the highest paying state.
>>
>>80332357
>It's about the top 30%
fucking where?
>>
>>80332450
negro its obvious you're reading the data incorrectly or misunderstanding what it means and no one cares enough to try to correct you
>>
>>80332428
general relativity would disintegrate the ship?
>>
>>80332470
please tell me you're a paid shill who's job is to keep passenger's threads active on /tv/.
>>
>>80332399
Conservation of momentum/centrifugal force
>>
>>80332467
The only possible way you could ever get close to 1% is if you include finger painting pre-school teachers in your data. Tenured highschool teachers make near 100k in any state that isn't a shit hole. It's not a debate it's a fact. Your inability to educate yourself is not my concern any longer.
>>
>>80332480
>confusing velocity with acceleration
lol!
>>
How did this thread turn into a physics lecture?
>>
>>80332590
Because tv/ loooooooves to "prove that they are smart".
>>
>>80332590
its more interesting than the half baked plot of this movie senpai
>>
>>80332357
>>80332450
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=High_School_Teacher/Salary

earning above 73k already puts you in the top 10% in the USA
>>
File: why.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>80332302
top kek
>>
You could easily reach .5c in 60 years without any noticeable acceleration forces.
>>
>>80332713
>payscale.com
loooooooool
and you have the gall to say im retarded.
>>
>>80332771
I believe the point was that you can't slingshot around a star at that speed without getting your shit caved in
>>
>>80332800
>I think your source is stoopid
not an argument, also

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/high-school-teacher/salary
https://www.sokanu.com/careers/high-school-teacher/salary/
>>
Best part of the film was Pratt ass honestly.
>>
I'm pretty sure that 95% of the hate the movie gets on here is due to Jennifer Lawrence being in it. And I kind of understand.
>>
>>80332302
>ship has 50000 passengers
>only has one autodoc
>>
Realistically speaking, if I were ever to watch this it would be for the sexy scenes.
>>
>>80328497

he had 5000 to choose from, and they probably don't take old people as colonists so, theres gotta be some hotties to choose from
>>
>>80334578

maybe because theres real doctors among them?
>>
>>80334143
She wasn't nearly as bad in it as I feared.
>>
Within the first 20-30 minutes it became obvious the movie was a chick flick with a sci-fi version of a man and woman being stranded on a desert island. It's not shit but it didn't seem particularly good either
>>
>>80334992
why would they need a doctor really when the autodoc already does everything
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (21KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
21KB, 500x250px
>>80335034

why would they need humans why don't they just make auto everything?
>>
>>80335122
they have automatic servers and bartenders who don't seem to need any kind of maintenence
>>
>the way the bartender spilled the beans
What fucking hot garbage, you'd never program his AI like that.
>>
>>80328308
i can not stand that bitch, her fat face, her cuntiness, her quirky bs.
>>
>>80328977
>>80329070

yeah? I hate Lawrence and dislike Pratt but the set design and premise from the trailers made me think it was intriging enough to go see. I admit I was very close to skipping it though.

I ended up liking it even with its lackluster ending
>>
>>80335571
>disliking Chris Pratt
>>
>>80335556

wow you seem triggered

I just don't like her cuz she can't fucking act

>when the robot told her the truth and the director had to use shakey and blurry shots to express her disgust and shock
>>
>>80328605
its an 8/10 until jlaw shows up desu
>>
>>80328308
imagine if chris was a fat NEET and she was a hardcore christian. So upon seeing how this ugly dude woke her up just so he could fuck her, she feels an extreme compulsion to want to kill herself but then realizes if she does that then she won't get to go to heaven. So then she just ends up fucking the fat neet until they both die.
>>
>>80328605
plotholes
>>
I think he should have waited longer. 1 year alone is not long enough for me to develop sympathy for him. If the movie had pulled the whole "flash forward 5 years thing," I would have sympathized a lot more.

But 1 year alone? Come on, really?
>>
>>80328414
>>80328652
Yeah, she really did look fantastic in this movie I agree
>>
>>80328358
>results oriented retard

i bet you're a trumpshit too
>>
>>80336030
she would probably just go and wake up a chad for herself you fucking cuck
>>
>>80328962
>patients are diagnosed and healed in a minute
>>
>"what he did wasn't wrong because they needed a second person later!"

that doesn't change whether the decision was right or wrong. the failures on the ship had literally nothing to do with his decision.

he was lonely, so she had to die. the decision is objectively wrong. i still don't understand how people are debating this.
>>
>>80328673
>>80328936
Yeah, they obviously chickened out on the ending and went with the safest one possible. But I did think it was pretty good overall. It looked gorgeous and I loves the design of the spaceship
>>
>>80330322
it wasnt a gravity machine it was artifical gravity created by centrifugal force
>>
>>80336636
**centripetal ;)
>>
Fishburne character was unneeded. Him popping in to Deus Ex Machina and then promptly dying was dumb.
>>
>>80336636
Which by the way makes no fucking sense. Even if the reactor is gone, the ship would still spin. It's in fucking vacuum, it needs no active propulsion to keep spinning.
>>
>>80336481
>"it's not rape when he's handsome." - women

understand?
>>
>>80336733
>retarded non-sequitur
>"understand? :^) XD"

what the fuck are you talking about you fucking autist? are you trying to say that his decision is ok because you think he is handsome? physical attractiveness and morality are two different things you dumb piece of shit. what he did was wrong.
>>
>>80330752

>Passengers is "boring"
>Moonlight wins best picture

Really makes you think.
>>
Who thought that hiring Pratt for character heavy drama was a good idea? He has no range at all, all he has is muh charisma. He's Arnold of our times and his roles should be limited to capeshid and comedies.
And it doesen't help that JLaw was afwould in this too. They can't carry this plot at all.
Plotholes wouldn't matter if the movie was any good.
>>
>>80336671

***inertia
>>
>>80330396
In a interview Russian cosmonaut said that this moment was portrayed really close to reality, but folks form tv know better, I guess
>>
>>80330396

it just bothers me that a centrifuge would just stop suddenly, i mean its already turning, if the energy being applied stopped it would slow down gradually..

sudden gravity loss would be more like if startrek grav plating fails..
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.