[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write a movie as good as The Nice Guys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

How do I write a movie as good as The Nice Guys?
>>
>>80315234

By also writing movies as good as Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Last Boy Scout.
>>
>>80315234
This movie was really good.
>>
>>80315234
You watch Lethal Weapon and then you write it again in another decade...also add a kid...or a talking dog.
>>
File: 1487490692912.gif (1MB, 320x173px) Image search: [Google]
1487490692912.gif
1MB, 320x173px
>>80315234
>>
>>80315271
Shane Black's writing is decent, but so fucking overrated. He has a penchant for good characters but the plots always become retarded.
>>
>>80315234
Same as anything else. Get off of 4chan and practice.
>>
>>80315351

>the plots always become retarded

That was kind of the big joke in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
>>
File: IMG_1898.jpg (33KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1898.jpg
33KB, 354x354px
>>80315234
Just jump in anon
>>
>>80315306

Or a gigantic killer bee voiced by Hannibal Buress.
>>
>>80315532

>"It's the killer bees you gotta look out for."
>"Ya know why they call 'em killer bees, right? They'll kill ya."
>"Good point."

That exchange between Gosling and the bartender makes me laugh, even though it doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the movie.
>>
>>80315271
Lethal Weapon is garbage though.
Maybe the script is good, but the movie is garbage.
>>
>>80316094

You're right, Lethal Weapon 2 is way better.
>>
>>80315234
Kill yourself and hope you're reincarnated as someone with talent.
>>
>>80315234
The Nice Guys is 5/10 at best, the people on this board praising it are probably pedophiles.
>>
>>80316390
this
>>
>>80316390
>>80316823
The Nice Guys is perfect.
>>
>>80316390
It was a solid 8/10. Get a sense of humor, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>80317312
11/10.
>>
https://youtu.be/3Y6_CuuvA5E

This scene always gets me cus it just makes me picture Russel Crowe right-hooking some 15 year old.
>>
>>80317404
>rimjob
>>
>>80315234
Doing something as "good" as nice guys is easy, just fart diarrhea onto paper and give it to 2 guys who can't act for shit. Doing something actually good is a bit harder.
>>
>>80316173
wording this
>>
just be yourself
>>
Make them BIG guys.
>>
>>80316390
this honestly.

The direction really fucked some of the jokes with bad timing and some mediocre framing, but the script was really mediocre to begin with.

Worst scene was when they finally find the girl and they take her home and talk to her while she's on the bed. The girl can't act, the kids can't act, and the dialogue is just this really sloppy back-and-forth that goes on for like a minute too long.
>>
>>80318559
what the fuck is wrong with you, honestly
>>
Thought this movie was just okay.
>>
>>80318743
Nothing. It was just a pretty mediocre movie
>>
>>80318988
>>80319075
what movies do y'all like?
>>
>>80318743
in all seriousness that Anon was post-ironically correct.
The script was okay ruined by terrible direction though reverse come from behind saved by good acting, though tripped up by an unnecessarily stupid plot.
>>
>>80319111
We must've watched different movies.
>>
>>80319098
Well, >>80318988 here. I like a lot of movies. Have about 800 on my computer. Also like both actors in The Nice Guys... I can't really remember it well enough to tell you why it didn't click with me. I think I was mostly bored with it.

Sorry!
>>
>>80315234
read a lot of scripts. watch a lot of movies. go outside of the house occasionally and interact with real people to learn what that's like. write a lot. edit even more. repeat.
>>
>>80318988
it is
you need to be a pedophile to think it's any better
>>
>>80319254
most likely you haven't watched older Mismatched Buddy Action Comedies to form a correct opinion
>>
>>80319808
>older Mismatched Buddy Action Comedies
like what
>>
>>80315351
I don't give a shit about any of that. All I want in a comedy is jokes. Shane Black delivers on jokes better than anyone else.
>>
>>80319989
watch all the Lethal Weapon films then get back to us
>>
>>80318988
I thought it was nice, guys.
>>
>>80320916
I couldn't make it through the first Lethal Weapon, it was flat and boring.
>>
>>80315234
Sérgio?
>>
>>80315234
I wanted to like this movie, but I thought it was a letdown. Started strong, good execution, but then it just kind of went off the rails. The plot just got too convoluted, and the amount of over the top wackiness and happenstance that kept the plot going was really annoying.

For some reason, my favorite exchange in the movie was when Goose went into that bar and asked the bartender about Amelia and he says how she was in there drinking bourbon martinis and Goose is like "well, that's disgusting." Kind of wish Shane Black wrote more scenes like that instead of his usual thing with two characters shooting quips back and forth at each other rapid fire, or some smartass kid talking like an adult.
>>
Gosling muttering "Nobody wants to see your dick, dude." was the best line delivery of 2016.
>>
>>80322366
He should've been nominated for The Nice Guys over La La Land.
>>
>>80321957

>The plot just got too convoluted

I loved that. Watch most old film noir or any of the revival 70's/90's stuff, the plots are either dirt-simple or hilariously convoluted to the point of madness because those movies are more about atmosphere and mood then narrative.

I think maybe the point Black was trying to make was a little on-the-nose(Yes Shane, trash art can have actual social relevance, we've known that for decades at this point) but I loved the convoluted plotting. Most writers are too scared to confuse audiences now.
>>
>>80324556
I really don't see what was so convoluted about the plot.
>>
File: 1485.gif (4MB, 347x244px) Image search: [Google]
1485.gif
4MB, 347x244px
>>80318280
>Doing something as "good" as nice guys is easy, just fart diarrhea onto paper and give it to 2 guys who can't act for shit
>>
Come up with a good crime or mystery and then insert an almost completely uninvolved third party into the middle of it and try to have them figure it out by luck and by piecing things together.
>>
Reddit the movie
>>
>>80322366
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wLf6eY66lc
The whole scene was hilarious
>I offered to show my dick, because I got a big dick
>>
File: the nice guys.webm (3MB, 1920x804px) Image search: [Google]
the nice guys.webm
3MB, 1920x804px
>>
File: Kiss.Kiss.Bang.Bang.webm (3MB, 1066x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kiss.Kiss.Bang.Bang.webm
3MB, 1066x600px
OK, first thing first that NEVER changes

>Nice Guys
>Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
>Last Boy Scout
>Lethal Weapon, the one with that blond girl

>core story
Have a woman character discover a secret information about misdoings of powerful people
they now are trying to kill hell for part of the movie
they actually do succeed in killing her
now to do clean up, but protagonists succeed

>characters
good people with vices and personal problems
sometimes even criminals but still good people
witty banter is important by one of the characters, other can be bit stupid but not too much

>violence
there is violence, a lot of it
most of it comical
some of it suddenly there, shockingly plain and inescapable
>>
File: taylor swift.gif (882KB, 250x316px) Image search: [Google]
taylor swift.gif
882KB, 250x316px
>>
>>80315234
>as good as The Nice Guys
the finale was shit
wtf would anyone bring his daughter to a possibble shooting area? other than that, seen a million times
>>
>>80321562
The first one is a lot more serious than the others
But if you can't make it through the first one your better off moving onto a different genre of film besides mismatched buddy cop Action Comedies
>>
>>80324656
It was poorly directed
>>
>>80315234
By reading the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang script and asking yourself: "How can I make something like this, but devoid of joy, creativity, wit and a basic sense for plotting?"

Jesus fucking Christ, what an abysmal, disappointing piece of shit.

Only one solid scene - the one where Gosling cuts his hand - and even the humor of that scene was somewhat diluted by shoddy direction.
>>
>>80316094
fuck you so very hard
>>
>>80315234
Can somebody redpilled me on "muah Detroit" macguffin? I get it that what used to be industrial heath of USA is now the second Ukraine but with blacks and the think about poisoned air because "muah green is da best" but still WTF he ment by that?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.