[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if the heptapods in Arrival were trying to warn humans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_1349.jpg (56KB, 660x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1349.jpg
56KB, 660x281px
What if the heptapods in Arrival were trying to warn humans about xenomorphs?
>>
>>80301191
>Abbott is wheat process
What did he mean by this?
>>
I cannot believe /tv/ hated this movie.
/tv/ has terrible taste for sure, but this blindsided me.
>>
File: funort.jpg (76KB, 736x588px) Image search: [Google]
funort.jpg
76KB, 736x588px
>xenodorks
>not yautja studs
>>
>>80301248

it depicted a woman as having a job and is therefor sjw propaganda
>>
>>80301191
What if the heptapods were trying to warn her not to have a kid with that dude because it'll die but she did it anyway because she's a retard?
>>
>>80301291
Or perhaps she did it because all of her actions were pre-determined?
>>
>>80301248
They're just salty that Arrival was great and Hacksaw Ridge was stupid
>>
>>80301374
I liked both tho.
Why is everything so binary around here?
>>
someone post tfw Abbot is death process
>>
>>80301248
/tv/ didn't hate it until the screenerfags saw it on their laptops, while when it was released in cinemas the whole catalog was filled with "MOTY 2016 ABSOLUTE KINO" threads about Arrival

both sides were on the extreme, now it's somewhat balanced, 7/10 for me
>>
>>80301330
Or maybe they weren't and she had a choice.
>>
>>80301191
But they are xenomorphs
>>
>>80301482
There is no choice. Because it's non-linear, the past present and the future experiences are connected and experienced at the same time.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Villeneuve to maybe clear things up for you:
>"The idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage."

So she embraces it because she thinks the moments they had together are worth living.
Also, do you think parents of kids with cancer wish they never had them?
>>
>be advanced species
>hatch complex plan involving 12 spaceships landing on earth for no discernable reason
>make no effort to communicate even the most simple message that you come in peace only because this serves the plot
It's shit
>>
>>80301248
Watch few thousand movies including majority of worthwhile pieces from the golden age of film, then come back and explain me what exactly makes arrival such a great piece of cinema?

Pro tip: nothing, its infantile movie with your usual serving of murrican political agenda and million retarded plot elements that only serve to scale the sense of wonder and foreboding to memetastic proportions. Stupid movie for stupid audiences.

Still not half as bad as 95% of the drivel aimed at netflix generation or the Chinese and other lowest-common-denominator 3rd world markets.

Solid 3.5/10
>>
>>80301841
Just post your terrible youtube review so I can laugh.
>>
>>80301805
Maybe they don't know the concept of peace.

Also big part of the movie is humanity working together so thex can help them in 3000 years, that's why there are 12 of them and why they don't just give out the information and leave.
>>
>>80301753
>Also, do you think parents of kids with cancer wish they never had them?

But she wasn't a parent, and she could have fucked someone else and had a non-cancer baby.

She had a choice.
>>
>>80301191
What if someone shitposted retarded fan fiction on /tv/?
>>
>>80301291
>because she's a retard
You literally missed the entire point of the movie.
>>
>>80301946
No, I just have a different view than

>hurr durr she had no choice
>it was all predetermined

She's kind of a cunt for hiding it from the guy, too.
>>
>>80301841
>I'm pretending to be a film student look at meeee
pathetic
>>
>>80301992
He wouldn't have understood. If you don't get that you're not an adult yet.
>>
>>80301910
Then they would be pretty cool and we should give them a dollar on their GoFundMe page for making a crossover erotic slash fiction?
>>
>>80301841
>explain me what exactly makes arrival such a great piece of cinema?

I liked the first contact scene, one of the best executed first contact scenes in cinema history.

Where others would fully show the aliens in the first scene and lose all the tension in later sequences, Villeneuve builds up to the moment with Amy Adams freezing right at the point of contact and a sudden jump cut to the decontamination chamber which serves almost like a jump scare to the audience and we get to finally breathe just like the characters in the movie do.
He doesn't need to show us what happened there, we know that they failed to communicate and there's no point in wasting screen time with that and we are still eager to see the aliens in the following scenes.

Perfect tension building and release dynamic, brilliantly executed. Top notch editing too.
I liked the cinematography by Bradford Young, props for him not going for a standard sci fi look, also loved the framing and composition which makes the viewer in the main protagonists shoes
I liked the use of sound design, where in other films sound design is used just to "fill the form", in Arrival it's used as an actual storytelling element where clues from the future are being interplayed with the current narrative.
I liked the score by Johannsson
I liked the production design, the blend of practicals with CGI.
I liked Amy Adams performance and her character development.
I liked how was the main narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death effectively handled through a sci fi setting, showing how we should appreciate every waking moment of our life. The ayylmaos and the science are only the setting for the actual story, anyone who expected this to be a "hard sci fi" about aliens were terribly wrong.

The negatives would be underwritten/underused Renner and Whitaker characters, also some cheesy lines in the third act.

Also it doesn't matter if you watched thousands of films if 50% of that is garbage.
>>
>>80301805
>be effectively omniscient with a predetermined timeline
>implying you would try to do anything outside of the events you already know will happen
Whoops, looks like you're retarded.
>>
>>80301865
Why do you assume i have a youtube review of anything? And more to the point why do you feel the need to laugh at my opinion? I did not "hate" Arrival, i only hate the endless sequels and remakes that they milk sheeple with.

Im merely pointing out that if you have actually seen most of the stuff worth seeing in the field of cinema, there is simply no way youll walk out of the theater after Arrival and think "that was such a good movie, why dont they make more movies like Arrival".
>>
>DUDE FREE WILL DOESN'T EXIST LMAO
0/10 WOAT
>>
File: animorphs.jpg (158KB, 336x480px) Image search: [Google]
animorphs.jpg
158KB, 336x480px
>>80301191
what if they are telling them about the animorphs?
>>
>>80302061
Or... I have a different opinion than you.

Jesus wept. The fuck is wrong witrh you?
>>
>>80301895
Yes she was, she already knew and loved her daughter specifically (because of the gift) and fucking someone else would result in a different person and she would basically erase her daughter from existence. Ask your mom would she agree do it if she knew that she would never had you.

And there is high chance that the other baby would also have cancer.
And again there is no choice, I explained it in the previous post.
>>
>>80302171
>"that was such a good movie, why dont they make more movies like Arrival".
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>80302220
No, you explained what you read elsewhere and I disagree with your concept of time, causality and life in general.
>>
>>80302171
>why do you feel the need to laugh at my opinion
There's no opinion there at all, you just called it stupid between smug shitposts. Kill yourself.
>>
>>80302171
>watching movies makes you a cynical shitter unable to enjoy movies
Nah, you're just a cynical shitter.
>>
>>80302001
Im no film student, im a man who has spent disproportionate amount of my life reading books and watching movies. Better than playing videogames i guess.

>>80302067
See? You formed your own subjective opinion based on the points you listed, good job! But why do you have such a hard time believing everyone else or "/tv/" doesnt share your opinion? Im glad to serve as the opposite extreme.
>>
File: picard double face palm.gif (2MB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
picard double face palm.gif
2MB, 440x330px
>>80301895
>She had a choice.
Do you not understand how determinism works?
Remember the Oracle in the matrix, the problem isn't choice, it's understanding the choice.
>>
>>80302322
>But why do you have such a hard time believing everyone else or "/tv/" doesnt share your opinion?

Ofcourse you don't have to like it, I too don't like a lot of critically acclaimed films.
You can even hate it if you want, but then you better have some actual arguments against it, not meaningless sentences like "stupid movie for stupid audiences"

List some actual buzzword-free arguments against the movie, not arguments about the viewers of the movie.
>>
>>80302321
>watching movies makes you a cynical shitter unable to enjoy movies
Nope, its a nice hobby and last year had a fair share of good movies, Arrival just wasnt one of them.
>>80302224
>Who are you quoting?
No one, im broadly referencing to >>80301248
Which is also the type of opinion that triggers me, idiots who are unable to comprehend any other points of view.
>>
>>80302398
>Do you not understand how determinism works?

Kek

You idiot.
>>
>>80302269
>and I disagree with your concept of time, causality and life in general.
You stupid shit, this isn't a discussion about your personal beliefs, but what is objectively presented in the narrative of the film. The internal consistency of it.
I don't believe in ghosts, but I can watch a movie where ghosts ARE real and not be sperging out the whole time about how spooks aren't real.
>>
>>80302463
>Arrival just wasnt one of them
We're just all plebs amirite xD
>>
>humans are smart enough to learn alien's language
>space aliens who can see through time can't learn english
>>
If you like this movie you are a literal spastic
>>
>>80302481
But anon, in the logic of the movie's universe, free will doesn't exist. This is explicitly stated by the director. The movie is in a universe where determinism is demonstrably the reality.
It's not a movie about the real world, or even aliens, its about memory and dealing with grief.
If you don't like the movie, that's fine.
If that seriously went over your head, then I guess the only consolation to the rest of us is the minuscule odds of the genetic holocaust that is your genes will probably die off.
>>
File: 1445825719370.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445825719370.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>80301946
Not the dude you're arguing with, but I'm curious.
In your opinion, what was the point of the movie?
>>
>>80301841
I'll shorten your post for ya.

>The movie is nothing new, if you don't watch movies often, you will love it.
>>
>>80302171
I didn't think you seemed like you'd have an awful youtube review channel. Now I do.
>>
>>80302702
This t b h
>>
>>80302691
Embracing both the beauty and futility of life when faced with the prospect of personal omniscience.
>>
>>80302702
>the fact that it's been done differently makes it worse
By that logic we wouldn't make new media at all.
>>
why didnt they ask to see her titties
>>
How did they build those ships with their ugly sticky tentacles?
>>
>>80302691
Embracing death as a crucial part of life so you can truly appreciate the moments inbetween.

But it's stupid to boil down films to just one sentence, films have no singular universal "deep meaning" or message that you have to "get", only themes and ideas which every viewer experiences and processes differently.
>>
File: kino.jpg (53KB, 522x648px) Image search: [Google]
kino.jpg
53KB, 522x648px
>>80301191
were trying to warn humans about kryptonians
>>
>>80302844
they probably have a slave race
>>
>>80302844
They have niggerslaves on their planet which work for them 24/7.
>>
>>80301268
>yautja
What are the chances the 2018 movies wont be shit?
>>
>>80302857
arrival as a snyderverse lois lane origin story goes a long way to explain how the bitch is fucking psychic.
>>
>>80301389
>i liked both

What you just said was binary. If you said you liked elements from each and hated other elements, that's not binary
>>
>Amy Adams will never be your single mother
There's so many simple ways life would be worth living. Amy Adams being my mom would be one of them.
>>
So Louise could skip ahead to knowing the general's phone number
Why weren't all the analysts/scientists at the arrival site immediately able to skip ahead to understanding the language? We know they end up reading Louise's book eventually
>>
>>80302849
>But it's stupid to boil down films to just one sentence
No it's not anon. That's called a theme. It's kind of a super important piece of storytelling.
>>
Very good, however time travel into the past is impossible and so is information transfer, time actually doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1463752272767.png (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1463752272767.png
2MB, 1920x1040px
>>80302777
>>80302849
Thanks Anons
>>
>>80302916
>What you just said was binary.
no
>>
>>80302061
>He wouldn't have understood. If you don't get that you're not an adult yet.
You shouldn't have kids with someone you can't communicate with. If you don't get that you're not an adult yet.

Beyond that, since they all have the ability to see time the same way she does, and the aliens do, presumably he should have been able to see the same shit.

>>80302691
If you could see your life from beginning to end, would you still value it as much?

Also:
THIS NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF WE ONLY HAD A ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT
THANK GOD THEY'RE NOT ISSUING NEW GUN LICENSES SO STUPID ANGRY HUMANS CAN'T BUY GUNS TO KILL THOSE PEACEFUL VISITORS
LISTEN TO THIS STRONG FEMALE-VOICE HILLARY PLACEHOLDER TAKING CHARGE AND PRETEND WE DIDN'T MAKE THE SAME GAMBLE ON THE ELECTORAL OUTCOME MISS SLOAN DID
>>
>>80303090
1 = I liked it
0 = I hated it

You went 11 instead of 01 or 10 or 00
>>
>>80303130
Jesus Christ kid, you're not supposed to drink the memes!
>>
>>80303028
But movies have a lot of themes.

When someone makes a movie, the first thing isn't "hmmm let's make a film about grief" and that's it, more than likely they get a idea for a certain scene or sequence or even just one frame which intrigues the director and it just builds from that.
>>
>>80303130
>presumably he should have been able to see the same shit.
He may have put off learning the heptapod language until after the marriage/pregnancy. That would be really depressing
>>
>>80303208
TOO LATE

Read Silver Screen Saucers and decalcify your pineal gland, you too can have every movie partially ruined for you by noticing underhanded attempts at persuasion and narrative crafting that comes with funding and advisement from the DoD.
>>
>>80303246
So it's a "failure to simply communicate results in great drama" device. Neat.
>>
>>80303299
Not necessarily a communication failure. Since it happened offscreen we can only speculate, but my headcanon is that he took the redpill by refusing to learn the language at all. That's why the daughter's cancer was a surprise and caused him to leave
>>
File: principia discordia.jpg (42KB, 370x600px) Image search: [Google]
principia discordia.jpg
42KB, 370x600px
>>80303264
The rising Hodge is always offset by falling Podge anon.
>>
>>80303381
its more likely either she told him she knew about the cancer before they even had a relationship or he figured that out because hes not a moron.

and the best read is because she can experience any moment in her life as many times as she wants for as long as she wants, she was fine with her daughter dying before she grew up, grew away, grew to resent her, grew to be her own person, etc.
>>
>>80303246
They talk about how the ayys don't really understand math or physics, he may have just never had the knack for the heptapod way of thinking because his entire background is math and science.
Enough people have trouble picking up other human languages, you can't just assume everyone learned weird squid-cum circle writing in a few years.
It's not an instant fix to the world, but a constructive problem for the humanity to pour its efforts into over generations. Working towards more and more constructive collaboration.
>>
Seeing as how Amy Adams knows that Hawkeye will divorce her and leave the daughter, why did she tell him the daughter will die? She could just never tell him and spare the daughter a lot of painful growing up.
>>
Wheat is death process
>>
File: 1482097040635.png (44KB, 549x591px) Image search: [Google]
1482097040635.png
44KB, 549x591px
>tfw to smart to understend this movie
>>
>>80303130
>GUN LICENSES
What cuck "country" do you live in?
>>
>>80302184
this show needs a new series. It could do so well.
>>
This "you can see the future, but even though it hasn't happened yet, you can't change it" shlock doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>80306543
They don't see the future like it's a youtube video and then continue on with their life, they experience the past, present and the future at the same time, that's why it's non-linear.

It's all happening at the same "time", for example the part where calls general Shang and the fancy party, it's all connected and dependent on each other.
Whatever you plan to do is already accounted in the future.
>>
File: Aliens Propaganda 80%.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Aliens Propaganda 80%.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>80301191
either way we know we got like 3000 years of not being wiped out.
>>
>>80306803
well maybe we all die and only 5 people left alive somehow help the ayylmaos in 3000 years

t. pessimist
>>
>>80306715
>>
>>80301753
This is fucking stupid. You making a different choice would still be you knowing you made that choice. His logic is retarded.
>>
>>80301248
Agreed, I have no idea why tv is so against this one. It's also absurd to me that they complain about the cliché elements like the military guy when those elements are so toned down compared to other movies of the same type.
>>
this movie is the opposite of a pleb filter, it's a pleb detector. if you fell for this shit by thinking it's any good you should probably just stop watching movies.
>>
>>80309073
>le isn't deep enough so it's shit meme

it's just a decent movie, why does everything need to be either a revolutionary masterpiece or utter dogshit
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.