[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did the LotR films do better than the books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: Minas_Tirith.jpg (1MB, 1920x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Minas_Tirith.jpg
1MB, 1920x1170px
What did the LotR films do better than the books?
>>
>>80284567
pacing
>>
Galadriel riverdancing
>>
>>80284567
less singing
>>
Character development and pacing.
>>
took out the filler
>>
>>80284567
Film, voice, and imagery.

PROVE ME WRONG
>>
Lighting of the beacons
Last march of the ents
Ride of the Rohirrim
Council of Elrond
Grond
Minas Tirith
The Shire
>>
they had better sound
>>
File: Gollum3.png (331KB, 666x448px) Image search: [Google]
Gollum3.png
331KB, 666x448px
>>
>>80284606
Pure pleb.

>Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
>Of him the harpers sadly sing;
>the last whose realm was fair and free
>between the Mountains and the Sea.

>His sword was long, his lance was keen.
>His shining helm afar was seen;
>the countless stars of heaven's field
>were mirrored in his silver shield.

>But long ago he rode away,
>and where he dwelleth none can say;
>for into darkness fell his star
>in Mordor where the shadows are.
>>
>>80284665
This list is amazing, because nearly everything on it the film fucked up.
>>
>>80284567
I think the whole "elves stop being cocks and decide to help out at Helm's Deep" was a decent change to the movie.
>>
>>80284606
This.
>>
>>80284666
this is now fact. get fucked tolkien you soundless motherfucker.
>>
>>80284691
That's a small ring.
>>
>>80284721
>Lighting of the beacons
I'll give you that.
Last march of the ents
Much better than the books, if you ignore the aftermath.
>Ride of the Rohirrim
I disagree. The imagery invoked in the book is captured perfectly in the film.
>Council of Elrond
Completely disagree. The subtle chanting in Black Speech and the argument that breaks out in the film are changes I love. It shows early on that the Ring is actively trying to break the fellowship and get back to Sauron.
>Grond
Again, the image I had when reading the book was captured perfectly in the film.
>Minas Tirith
Minas Tirith was shown almost exactly as Tolkien described it. How could anyone disagree with its depiction?
>The Shire
I'll give you that, the Shire was written to be far more Welsh than as it was depicted in the film.
>>
Not one single thing.
>>
I don't think they did anything "better" than the books, they did them differently or "better" in a shorter period of relative time, given the restrictions of the visual medium.

But to be totally honest, I thought having Sam be less of a servant to Frodo and calling him "Mister" instead of "Master" really strengthened his character,
>>
>>80284567
Literally nothing
>>
>>80284943
Never mind, I see you're just a fucking troll. Minas Tirith surrounded by fucking empty steppe is just as Tolkien described it? Presenting the Council as a bunch of retards is a great change? Last repose you get.
>>
I thought this was gonna be a cozy /tv/ LOTR thread but it fizzled pretty quickly. LOTR threads are easily the best thing about /tv/
>>
>>80284567
The entirety of The Two Towers.

I was bored out of my mind reading the book, but the film is my fave of the three.
>>
I fucking hate bookfags because film is an entirely different medium.
>>
>>80284754
Yes, it is quite small, isn't it?
>>
serious question: did earendil have a spaceship?
>>
>>80286506
Right? My friends and I absolutely love what Tolkien wrote and practically reference his works as holy scripture, but we also meet up once a year a do a 13-hour marathon of the Extended Edition films complete with 7 meals throughout the day.
>>
>>80286584
Serious answer: No. It was a flying ship but it was bound to Arda.
>>
>>80284691
That was just Ralph's interpretation. He isn't a pepe in the books.
>>
File: 1487407164886.jpg (24KB, 401x372px) Image search: [Google]
1487407164886.jpg
24KB, 401x372px
>>80284721
>the films fucked up The Shire
Fucking what? That was the comfiest shit of my life. I literally tear up when the music swells and the camera pans across the New Zealand countryside to reveal the party tree and Bag End.

Is something wrong with you mate?
>>
FARAMIR. THANK GOD FOR MOVIE FARAMIR
book faramir
>haha with my superior wit i deduced u have the one ring hobbit, but it does not affect me at all so i shall let you possibly bring it to sauron. also we're in the cave teh whole time, heres some random guy to show u around
movie faramir
>father complex, wants to prove himself, loved his brother and father to a fault. struggling to prove himself, the one ring tries to use this on him. bitchslaps the hell out of smeagol. brings them to osgiliath cause its cool as shit. then lets them go after realizing what the ring did to his brother, in defiance of his father. placing middle earth before himself
god dam hes the best part of TT
>>
>>80286712
where exactly are the undying lands
>>
>>80284567
Nothing.
>>
>>80284693
> >His sword was long, his lance was keen.

And you like that, you faggot? Bet you have a BDRemux of Brokeback Mountain in your movie folder too you nancy
>>
>>80287237
Literally nothing wrong with him if he does you homophobic faggot.
>>
File: Dwarf+logic_f4a738_4931449.png (224KB, 640x340px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf+logic_f4a738_4931449.png
224KB, 640x340px
>>
>>80287319
>dwarves only have 1 axe
Pssh, okay.
>>
>>80286923
West of Arda across the sea. It's another continent, Aman. Anybody not given permission to travel to was blown away by high winds.
>>
>>80287777
*Sorry, west of Middle Earth.
>>
>>80284586
This, as a teen I was bored of the endless scenery description of forests and landmarks.
>>
File: Haldir_in_Two_Towers.png (535KB, 1137x798px) Image search: [Google]
Haldir_in_Two_Towers.png
535KB, 1137x798px
>>80284733
>led by the only fat elf in Middle Earth
>>
>>80287824
>t. underage who misses the whole point of Tolkien's writing style
>>
>>80287896
He wasn't even remotely fat.
>>
>>80284567
the beacons are lit!!!
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.