[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This show is straight fucking kino. You are doing yourself a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 22

This show is straight fucking kino. You are doing yourself a disservice by ignoring it be wise it's on Syfy, I know I fucking did. I would even go so far as to say it's one of the best shows running right now and would be doing infinitely better on any other channel, everyone just assumes it's the usual Syfy drivel.
>>
File: Eros docking.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Eros docking.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>
>show gets completely ignored be wise it's on cancer: the network
I feel so bad for this show, it would be a ratings darling on any other network.

This show is like Mass effect pre alien contact if Mass effect had good writers and wasn't made by cock suckers.

My only complaint is the middle Eastern cowboy pilot, shit actor.
>>
I watched the first two eps, didn't really hook me. Yes it's because the most powerful woman on Earth is some white hag wearing curry nigger clothing and the alpha of those ice freighters is a negress with sjw hair.
>>
The Magicians is kino too
>>
>>80210964
>This show is like Mass effect pre alien contact if Mass effect had good writers and wasn't made by cock suckers.

or gee why don't you just not name drop it at all?

being a /v/tard is like a legit mental disorder..
>>
File: Diamond in Shit.jpg (22KB, 353x268px) Image search: [Google]
Diamond in Shit.jpg
22KB, 353x268px
>>80210964
>show gets completely ignored be wise it's on cancer: the network
>>
What kind of show is this exactly. Is it like Star Trek and shit?
>>
>>80211382
Fuck.... It's like.....well fuck.

It's like a more violent battlestar galactica (reboot).

Kind of
>>
This is Kino and you need to watch it right now
>>
>>80211382
More like BSG but with more believably/hard sci-fi yet still having sounds in space type stuff.
>>
>>80211382
Earth is Machiavelli politics
Mars is like the nazis
Belters are oppressed creole miners or some shit
>>
>>80211382
Space Noir vs Spess Marines vs iMolecule
>>
>>80211531
What, I got the distinct impression that Mars was analogous to Cold War USSR?
>>
Are all americans really as dumb and needlessly aggressive as shows like these portray?

Seems people often punch each other in the face as way of conversing, and sometimes they attack people who are obviously trying to help them while telling them to "shut the fuck up".
It's pretty cringeworthy, desu
>>
File: 2017-03-09-010943_726x653_scrot.png (600KB, 726x653px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-09-010943_726x653_scrot.png
600KB, 726x653px
Anderson "waifu killer" Dawes is at it again
>>
And now Miller isn't around to stop him...
>>
Hyperion will be shit.
>>
File: Sunny.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sunny.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>80211480
Hell yeah and Nick Frost is in this season
>>
File: nup-170680-8000-jpg[1].jpg (200KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nup-170680-8000-jpg[1].jpg
200KB, 1200x1200px
>>80211119
Jesus fucking christ, you couldn't pay me to watch that show.

Into the Badlands is garbage, 12 Monkeys was also garbage...The Expanse is pretty much incredible for it's undiscovered gem qualities.
It is quite like BSG without the moronic esoteric elements, but I also think it's quite like Blade Runner...I actually think they were going for that vibe.
>>
>>80213385
I absolutely agree about The Magicians. I don't think I've ever seen anything worse.

That said, The Expanse has some problems too. Mainly that none of the characters are very likable at all, and chimp out all the time.
>>
>>80211382
A small crew trying to avoid a solar system-wide nuclear war with some misteries, adventures and complots in the mix.

Good world building, good production values, "hard" Scifi (for a tv show) and decent actors.
>>
>>80213086
I have no doubt about that, Is one of those impossible adaptations.
>>
>>80211145
Alot of the tech on the show looks very Mass effect. This show is leagues better than the POS game though.
>>80211382
It's not star trek,, no aliens, more gritty, kind of like blade runner in some aspects, it's like Mass effect if Mass effect had no aliens and humanity was still stuck in its home system.

They seem to be shooting for a more realistic vibe than any other sci Fi.

Basically if you like your science fiction with more science than fiction this is pretty decent and it's amazing a garbage channel like scyfy put something like this out.
>>
File: 1488699453291.png (163KB, 382x452px) Image search: [Google]
1488699453291.png
163KB, 382x452px
> Mormons will be responsible for one of the greatest scientific human endeavors ever
What's sad is I could actually see this happening.
>>
>>80214389

Fred/Tycho are responsible for it

Mormons just paid for it going door to door..
>>
>>80213385
>>80213465
The Magicians, aka that show that you only ever see the last 10 minutes of waiting for the Expanse to come on.

Honestly though, the Expanse is great, but I don't think it's as good as everyone says it is. The acting is very mediocre...
>>
What time does episode 7 air? In how many hours/minutes?
>>
File: Ganymede battle.webm (3MB, 712x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ganymede battle.webm
3MB, 712x400px
>>
>>80210964
>finger on trigger while cocking
>>
>>80211382
Forced drama in space masquerading as sci-fi. Also full of leftist propaganda. Avoid.
>>
File: pepemolecule.jpg (301KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
pepemolecule.jpg
301KB, 800x800px
>>80214317
>no aliens
>>
>>80215154
>muh leftist

/pol/'s current favorite buzzword strikes again. No one cares you edgy contrarian faggot, leave this thread and get back to your echo chamber please.
>>
>>80215080
25 minutes, 10pm est
>>
>be wise

What the fuck is wrong with yall
>>
>>80215119
He looks middle eastern, so it's about right.
>>
>>80214317
Sy Fy had nothing to do with its production. They just have sole distribution rights in the US. Netflix is getting it at some point in the future for other countries. Alcon have basically done all the work that matters.

Basically the best thing Sy Fy can do is provide a platform and let actually talented people do their own thing.
>>
OPA WAIFU BEST NOT DIE
>>
>>80211023
I don't actually care as long as they are decent actors
>>
is this the live thread? seems like no one watches the show. is it going to get canceled?
>>
>>80214317

>no aliens

>“Yeah,” Naomi said, as if the sound had been words. “Something in the ring gates is eating ships.”

>He turned and saw something move. Something else, not another cloud like himself, like the others, like matter. Something solid but obscured by the emptiness of material like a shape in the fog. Many shapes, neither light nor dark, but some other thing, some third side of that coin, passing through the spaces between the spaces. Rushing toward them. Toward him. Sauveterre did not notice his death.

also did you not see the last episode
>>
>>80216255
I hope not but the budget seems high

i get why normies don't go crazy about it, every thread here has a ton of people asking what's going on, none of the episodes are self-contained etc
>>
any stream?
>>
>>80213166
>>80211480
This is like my guilty pleasure show. I ought to hate it but I just don't.
>>
>>80214389
A literal cult hoarding for generations in a sheltered tax haven is not a scientific human endeavor.
>>
Tensions are brewing breddy fast
>>
>>80210481
I would watch it, but I haven't seen Season 1. You can't watch it on Netflix, it's not listed on SyFy, and all the usual spots don't have it up.
>>
File: 1466916342156.jpg (81KB, 536x604px)
1466916342156.jpg
81KB, 536x604px
>>80216733
ty anon
>>
File: MILLER-SAD.jpg (485KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
MILLER-SAD.jpg
485KB, 1920x1280px
>space jews
>>
>>80215154
While it does include leftist shit like the gays, it does keep it to a minimum, at least in the first season. It's actually one of the only shows I've seen do homos without it feeling forced and cliche as fuck. Like the worst it's been has been an arm pat on an obviously gay couple.
>>
now I'm ignoring it because a phoneposter thinks its good.
>>
Season 2 sucks
>>
>>80216333
I wrote like this. Then I paid to go to a critique group, where the old ladies eviscerated my writing style and couldn't stand the use of fragments for narrative effect. They attacked me so often I dropped the group and stopped writing because I lost confidence.
>>
>>80216333
I've only seen season uno. I just marathoned the entire first season in a day and a half, can't watch second season until I'm back into decent net levels. I work in da woods and live out here when I'm working and satellite internet is garbage
>>80216704
No but Traveling a hundred fucking years outside of current human exploration is pretty ballsy shit. Though most likely it will just be the most expensive tomb ever constructed in human history.
>>
>>80217238
Tablet poster shit posting from the woods friend o.
>>
The show is DECENT but not in any way a marvel. The first season is merely okay, the second has greatly improved but still has plenty of problems. The scenes with Miller and the crew were great, and Miller once he left that retarded belter kid on Eros was indeed as they say, KINO.

But lets not pretend this show is something it's not. It still has plenty of shit tier writing and acting, and for every brilliant costume or set there's an equally shitty and cheap one waiting for you in the next scene. This is a show that feels like a show that's on Sci Fi, or USA, or Cinemax or something. It doesn't have the overall polish and quality of shows that are often mentioned as actually fantastic, like stuff seen on HBO, FX, or occasionally AMC.

It's good, and it's getting better, but it still has a long way to go. 70% of the cast being CW tier actors is probably the biggest hurdle.
>>
>>80216371
it has great production value compared to most of what's on tv now. i think it's the best scifi since BSG for sure.

i don't think it's been promoted as well as they could have been
>>
>>80217267
Yeah the pure prose in the books is often pretty bad, but thankfully mostly just too dull to be offensively so. I want to say this works best as a TV show because they've crafted a superb story and world where pretty much everything stands up to scrutiny and closer inspection and very few things if any need to be handwaved as space magic and technobabble.
>>
>>80217481
it's still a young show senpai. most shows don't hit their kino phase until season 3, 4, and 5.
>>
>>80217251
so did season 1
>>
>>80217521
>too dull to be offensive
That's pretty much what I'd call the show.
>>
Show was better before they introduced aliens. Just like GoT was better before they introduced dragons. Once you get that otherworldly element, the writers forget about, politics, intrigue, and human drama that was the draw in the first place, in favor of the shiny super special attraction.
>>
>>80217597
"Aliens" were there from the very beginning m8
>>
Holy shit, is it just me or is the lip sync completely off? By at least 1-2 seconds.
>>
Audio and video out of sync?
>>
Lol

Amateur hour at Syfy
>>
>>80217597
>politics, intrigue, and human drama that was the draw in the first place

These things have never been a big draw for anything.
>>
>>80217678
That's every hour for Syfy. It's like a channel dedicated to killing an entire genre.
>>
>>80217597
As someone who read the books,

You're completely wrong. The introduction of an alien gateway to the rest of the galaxy fucks with the entire Earth/Mars/Belt power dynamic
>>
>>80210481
This kind of hyperbole will kill the show, no question. If this were on HBO it would get laughed off the network. If your watchlist is Fargo, Westworld, The Americans, with reruns of Mad Men then you will come to this show massively disappointed. Don't try and prep people for KINO if it's not there. It's good FOR SYFY, absolutely there best work in years. If you're the kind of dipshit who watches Arrow and Gotham and Walking Dead and is legitimately entertained then it's fine. But in the tv landscape it can't touch the real contenders. Something like Westworld is miles above this because, regardless of what you think of the story, the show has polish, prestige, A+ production values and acting. The Expanse is too big of a story to be done justice on Syfy, they quite simply don't have the budget for it. Even overlooking the cheap FX, which is fine, really, the actors and camera work are more often than not just too shitty and still feel like, well, your average tv show and nothing of real quality.
>>
>>80217899
Westworld was too predictable, even though I've read The Expanse i'm still more excited by the episodes than WW
>>
>>80217899
>he fell for the emmybait telekino bag of tricks
>>
>>80217899
There's a glimmer of truth in this, in that the production values will see this show gets canceled prematurely. Also, being on SyFy is a major downside, as they're now closely associated with shitty sub-B movies and cosplay shows. The idea that actual scifi originals would be on SyFy is almost baffling in (CURRENT YEAR)
>>
i like the series but this felt like a weak episode. it's good to see the political situation go down but it didn't feel very impressive. i still want to see the political situation on mars. all we get are views of it's military.
>>
>>80215093
It just dawned on me that having tracers doesn't really make much sense in this context.
>>
>>80217297
I "bingewatched" (ugh) the first season but I feel like i'm having a tougher time with watching the second season play out in real time because there's a lot of moving parts

I'm sure I know a lot less about the inner workings of the tv industry than some people here but it just "feels" like a show that has its future on a streaming service
>>
>>80218007
Like I said, it's not about the story. I like the story of Expanse better in theory, but the show just doesn't have the quality of many other, better shows. Ambition is one thing, execution is another.

>>80218061
You know it's true.

>>80218076
I'm wildly impressed with Syfy's change in direction, I watch and enjoy Expanse and Channel Zero, but you're correct that as a network they are still a downside. It's not so much that they are still associated with their previous terrible branding, it's just that they currently don't have the money/knowledge to fund better productions. If they can secure some creators that have the the talent of those running shows on FX(who I assume have similar budgetary constraints), that combined with their willingness to tell original sci fi stories will shoot them into the top tier of tv conversations.
>>
>>80218273
>(ugh)

you have to go back
>>
>>80216333
i see someones been reading babylons ashes

but babylons ashes was meh compared to nemesis games and if you like the books you agree that cibola burn doesnt exist.

Calibans war is GOAT

also
nothing is eating ships, inaros will return
>>
>>80218136
it was a slow filler episode, last week was too. they blew their load early this season with the first five episodes and all the eros stuff, that was all non stop buildup until it crashes into venus. i think it will pick back up again next week or the week after.
>>
Ep. 7 promo - with the loss of Ganymede's ag. output belters have to tighten their belts::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0L3gVoRqWc

Ep. 7 sneak peek - Dawes returns + Amos gets a shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfn3s27o0JI
>>
>>80219432
Upcoming episode synopsises:
>S02E07: 'The Seventh Man', Preparations for the Earth/Mars peace conference tighten the tension on Erringwright.
>S02E08: 'Pyre', Naomi tracks down signs of the protomolecule; Fred Johnson's control over the OPA collapses.
>S02E09: 'The Weeping Somnambulist', Bobbie becomes a political pawn in the struggle between Earth and Mars.
>S02E10: 'Cascade', Holden leads his crew through the war-torn station on Ganymede.
>S02E11: 'Here There Be Dragons', TBD.
>S02E12: 'The Monster and the Rocket', TBD.
>S02E13: 'Caliban's War', TBD.
>>
>>80219196
I like Cibola Burn, fite me.
>>
File: 1368575653576.png (68KB, 512x512px)
1368575653576.png
68KB, 512x512px
>>80219640
>muh space mormons suffering from space hormones
>book so bad they had to change narrators on the audiobook
>entire book can be skipped without any impact to the rest of the story and even though its part of the series instead of a seperated novella like drive or the churn
>puke colored cover
>>
This episode was quite frustrating.

I was expecting a proper flashback to the battle on Ganymede but instead I got 2 shitty flashbacks.
>>
Its on Amazon Prime...on episode 5 S1. Mars is goat
>>
>>80210481

I'm really feeling like this show is going to die without miller and this episode did little to settle that worry. Holden picking up where miller left off hating Dawes was perfect though and funny.
>>
>>
>>80219988
it's a budget thing, a small skirmish is a good place to save some money. i'm assuming we're going to see a real battle on ganymede soon and we'll get to see what those protomolecule soldier things can do.
>>
>>80220114

but you don't see a big battle on ganymede except between holden's crew and some other people in the tunnels. if I remember correctly thats only scene with proto soldiers.
>>
File: toilet ghost.png (35KB, 300x250px)
toilet ghost.png
35KB, 300x250px
>>80220061
>without miller
OH BOY
"I swear to God," Holden said, pausing to finish and then zip up.
"Miller, you better not be there when I turn around."
He turned around.
Miller was there.
"Hey," the dead man started.
>>
Liked the show. Bad CGI really holds it back tho.
>>
>>80220144
well that's good enough i guess. the show runners probably had to decide which of the battle scenes they could do with the budget and they probably chose that one.
>>
>>80220219
>bad cgi

i can't name a single show on television right now that has better cgi than the expanse
>>
>>80220296
As trash as it is, GoT and Westworld both have better CGI
Expanse isn't bad per se, but occasionally shit looks like it's outta a PS4 game
>>
>>80220296
Game of Thrones, there, I did it for you.
>>
File: 1468172249219.gif (3MB, 700x285px)
1468172249219.gif
3MB, 700x285px
>>80220535
>>80220562
>got
>good cgi
>>
Is this show better than The 100?
>>
>>80220574
>>80220574
I didn't say good. I just said better.
>>
>>80220590
>The 100
>teenager drama vs an actual show
idk you tell me
>>
>>80219988
what happened on ganymede is the big mystery for the remainder of the season, maybe even for a big portion of next season
>>
File: 1488162428771.gif (2MB, 333x194px)
1488162428771.gif
2MB, 333x194px
>>80220562
Sure anon, sure.
>>
Wow, the part about Belter age being determined by Earth's unit of measurement of orbit was mind blowing. What a crazy thing that I usually take for granted being turned on its head.
>>
>>80221663

well our age is determined because of how long it takes our world to make one rotation around the sun. 365 days etc.

so age of belters should be different from mars or earth but common culture must have carried to belt and stuck
>>
>>80210481
I like the overall plot, themes, and look of the show but every single character is an unlikeable twat and it fucking irritates me. I had to drop this. I might come back to it later but fucking hell these people annoy me.
>>
>>80211382
>What kind of show is this exactly
A little hard to explain because it doesn't easily fit into any existing genres but here's what the books were designed to be:

>The story of how humanity reached the stars

Basically, the writers liked Earth being near-future/cyberpunk stuff and the human empire is all over the galaxy but they wanted to tell a story about how humanity got from A to B.

It's kind of believable scifi with a single magic invention (Epstein drive) that allows fast sublight travel without fuel problems and with some more or less magic alien technology later on (protomolecule and other stuff).

But it's supposed to be the story of how humanity got out of the solar system and into the rest of the galaxy. That's all later seasons though.

In the meantime, Mars aren't Nazis, more libertarians and colonists with advanced technology, Earth is a massively populated and corrupt corporate welfare state where jobs are so rare that people are terrified of being fired because jobs are considered a luxury. The Belters are the tough but suffering frontier people oppressed by rich Earth/Mars corporations and denied their political sovereignty.
>>
>>80221663
>live on 24 hour cycle that is has its roots in the sexagesimal numeral system that is based on the lunar cylce of 12 months
>proceed to bitch about unit of measurment

kek
thats exactly why J.L. Doty in "a choice of treasons" picked a weird time measurement with the base of 100 iirc

But rockhoppers apparently cant into math
>>
>>80213043
I assume that's the other Mao sister? They Dawes into her conspiracy because he likes fucking shit up?
>>
>>80221887
That's the belter who works with Fred.
>>
>>80217644
>"Aliens" were there from the very beginning m8
So was magic, zombies and white walkers in GoT but everyone talked about how it was a gritty irl medieval story instead of a high fantasy epic. People forget the foreshadowing quickly.
>>
File: math 10000 bc.jpg (128KB, 800x1296px)
math 10000 bc.jpg
128KB, 800x1296px
>>80221867
P.S.
niggers figured this out over 10.000 years ago and apparently are responsible for how we measure time. apparently we used to believe that the ancient sumerians were responsible for our current way of measuring time, turns out we were wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishango_bone

so rockhoppers, who are by definition space niggers, are basically just following their spiritual ancestors.
Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>80219196
>Calibans War is GOAT
Please.
And I liked Cibola Burn even if it could be cut entirely. As a standalone novel it's pretty fun though
>>
>>80221986
>That's the belter who works with Fred.
Oh right, the lesbian waifu that should have been a cute redhead, looks like she kept the freckles though.
>>
>>80221663
>>80221733
>>80221867

It's just a relative concept. Their "age" is just easier to comprehend if given in "Earth years". They are still functionally human, so the light/dark cycle we've been geared to operate on over the 100,000s of years is still the same for them. So they most likely still operate on roughly the same awake/sleep time frame as Earthers, with less to zero importance put on day vs night.
>>
>>80222118

She also betrayed him which is funny
>>
Good ep this week las
>>
>>80221857
>But it's supposed to be the story of how humanity got out of the solar system and into the rest of the galaxy. That's all later seasons though.
I'd say spoiler that shit but I doubt we are getting a third season so
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.