[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Western horror movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (208KB, 512x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208KB, 512x1024px
Why is the western setting so under-utilised in horror movies. It's literally perfect. It's isolated, there's a lack of technology, the characters are uneducated, and there's literally hundreds of opportunities for conflict. Not to mention the slew of Indian myths and legends. Pic related is the only good one I can think of being made in recent memory, but even then it doesn't fully capitalise on the genre
>>
my guess is that it's because period pieces are expensive and audiences don't really turn out for the western genre in general. hopefully this will change because I loved Bone Tomahawk
>>
>>80202721
Any recommendations of similar style
>>
>>80202898
Ravenous is pretty well-liked and I've seen it compared to Bon Tomahawk but I fell asleep to early into it to have an opinion.
>>
File: gag-jim-carrey-liar-liar.gif (2MB, 363x269px) Image search: [Google]
gag-jim-carrey-liar-liar.gif
2MB, 363x269px
>That torture scene in Bone Tomahawk
>>
>>80203636

Ravenous is a meme movie. I'm not mad at it, I even went to go see it in the seventh grade with my family because my older sister was a fan of Guy Pearce. It's just a silly popcorn movie with some absolutely bizarre shifts in tone. It's like half the people thought they were making a slapstick comedy; half the people thought it was a visceral horror movie; and nobody was talking because they all hated each other. Not sure if that's the actual story, but that's what the movie feels like.
>>
>>80202642
damn thats a sweet poster
>>
>>80203696
One of the few scenes I've had to look away from
>>
>what is Tremors?
>>
>>80202642
>Pic related is the only good one I can think of being made in recent memory

that's because it's the only horror western in existence
>>
>>80206453
I'm talking about proper westerns, like mid-to-late 1800s Clint Eastwood vs. Michael Myers type shit
>>
High Planes Drifter is almost a horror movie if you accept the interpretation that Clint's character is a ghost.
>>
>>80202642
Dark Tower Series (sort've).
>>
Because horror movies aren't really in western cannon. Most horror film use periods were folklore was canon or the modern era to add a sense of believability
>>
>>80206574
high plains drifter is more or less clint eastwood AS michael myers
>>
>>80203746
I remember it being hyped up because it was a wendigo movie, but it was such a fucking mess. Your point on the bizarre tonal shifts are dead on the money, it was an absolute mess.
>>
>>80207229
Why hasn't there been a good wendigo movie yet?
>>
>>80206888
But the life in the west was horrific. It doesn't even have to be supernatural as exemplified in Bone Tomahawk. Westward expansion was a fucked up time period, but we never see it in film
>>
>>80207574
I really don't know, honestly, it's not like it'd be terribly hard to do. Wendigo's a great monster, cannibal skeleton looking fucker who grows bigger with each terrible meal, the deer skull symbolism, the whole cold dead frozen north thing. There's enough there to differentiate it from just typical killer monster fare with a new coat of paint, there's shit you can do with it without falling into le /x/ skinwalker leddit meme territory. Wendigo is a great fucking monster. Would make for a fantastic frontier horror movie.
>>
>>80207658
Yeah that is true and we do have a lot of films about how hard life in the west was they just manifest as dramas usually
>>
>>80203696
I still feel sick thinking about it. The noises man...
>>
>>80203746
The bizarre shifts in tone are my favorite part, and I can only surmise that this was some kind of intentional art-house shit meant to deconstruct the horror genre.
>>
>>80208212

I recall reading once that the production was a total shitshow, with nobody in charge and conflicting ideas about really basic stuff.
>>
>>80208048
And you wouldn't even need that big a cast, the plot could be as simple as
>Group of hunters gets lost in the northern woods and are haunted by the wendigo
>>
File: 456546.jpg (444KB, 973x1500px) Image search: [Google]
456546.jpg
444KB, 973x1500px
>>80202642
Have you seen, "The Burrowers"?
>>
>>80208264
>Directed by a woman
Doesn't shock me then.
>>
>>80208481
It really wouldn't be hard, it's all atmosphere in that stark location. You could even bullshit it (and probably offend a bunch of people) and stick it in the desert.

I've had this image in my head for ages about people trying to run from a wendigo, and taking on that whole 'wendigos get bigger with every meal so they can never satiate their hunger' thing. People trudging through knee-deep snow in a thick forest of dead, scraggly black trees, only some of those trees aren't trees - they're the giant, ancient wendigo's legs, and you see them moving around in the background when the characters pass them. If it was desert-based, imagine a long vast prairie of dead trees and cacti and rocks - some of those things are not what they seem.
>>
Dead birds
>>
File: IMG_4817.jpg (445KB, 1119x1437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4817.jpg
445KB, 1119x1437px
The film sucks pretty bad but worth seeking out if you are interested in slasher x western films
>>
>>80206574
Pale rider clint eastwood is a ghost out for revenge. Not exactly horror though.

There are a lot of novels and comics dedicated ro exploring the "weird west" one of my favorites is Deadlands it has the best setting and all types of weird supernatural and monsters. It has a few novels and comics but started out as a tabletop rpg. The source books are great troves of lore.

Sadly though not much weird west genre kino.
>>
>>80209185
Weird West isn't horror, though, it's supernaturally inclined and has ghosts and vampires and shit, but it isn't horror, it isn't meant to evoke a sense of dread or unsettle you.
>>
>>80209238
>implying a supernatural element killing townspeople or a band of risen rape gungslingers led by a magic huckster isnt horror
You are being incredibly autistic
Weird west is absolutely horror themed in many of the genres books.
>>
>>80209372
Horror themed isn't horror. What matters is goal, not content. I wouldn't fucking call Van Helsing horror, would you?
>>
>>80202642
shooting on site, as a proper western requires, would increase the cost of making the movie. horror movies have always been about cheap budgets and maximizing profits
>>
>>80209506
Western's aren't cheap, but they aren't a particularly expensive genre either--or at least they weren't in the past. I think it's more movie studies are simply not willing to do it.
>>
>>80209409
You are painting in very broad strokes there are absolutely weird west horror tales within the genre but i didnt say all of it was horror. Theres steam punk or scifi weird west and plain adventure weird west. But to say all of it or none of it is horror is fucking retarded. Frankenstein is classic horror but by your definition it isnt. What does horror have to be for you? A classic slasher flick? Go away autist.
>>
>>80209622
its just much easier to convince someone to give you money if you say that your whole movie is going to be found footage in the middle of some random forest
>>
>>80209812
Yeah movies studios would also be spooked by the idea because it would be difficult to market.
>>
There's a western themed From Dusk to Dawn I think it's the 3rd one
>>
>>80209653

His point was that weird west and western horror are not the same thing. Horror doesn't need ANY supernatural elements to be effective, weird west is more often goofy (Wild Wild West) than horrifying.
>>
>>80209653
Now we're getting into the semantics of genre. Horror has a very simple, specific goal - to make you uncomfortable in one way or another, with a variety of methods. If a weird west story's goal is unsettle you, then it's a horror story, but its degree of effectiveness degrades with the addition of elements. At what point does it stop being a weird west story, and become a wild west horror story? This is my problem.
>>
>>80202642
Everytime they try to do a Western Mash-up they tend to flop

Western/Horror
Western/Sci-fi

I like the idea of it, but it hardly seems to work. (Western/Comedy seems to do okay though)

I think its just because Westerns are pretty limited in their appeal at this point. So adding something extra to it just limits the amount of people who may want to see it.

When will we get Western/Capeshit?
>>
>>80210144
>When will we get Western/Capeshit?
cowboys vs aliens?
>>
>>80210004
Then this is the point of contention, Weird west covers western horror as a subgenre as weird west by definition is western combined with any genre like horror, occult, scifi or fantasy.

You would be right in saying wild wild west movie or billy the kid adventures are not western horror but are under weird west Of course i agree. But theres a ton of horror within weird west i suggested for OP to get his fix. Its a good place to start.

Unfortunatly there just isnt a lot of western horror movies its two niche genres that tend to not make a lot of money for the effort so studios arent willing to take a risk. I was hoping after 3:10 to yuma we would have a renaissance of western at least and we got aome but i fear its dead now.

Also I wouldnt call bone tomahawk pure western horror, its mostly western adventure and the last 20 mins turns into a horror movie. Also by your definition would WestWorld be considered westeen horror? There is absolutely elements of dread, mystery and unease but it wouldnt be considered western horror at face value it is weird west however. Thats the problem with semantics.
>>
>>80210191
I just watched this and it exceeded my exceptions. Great performances from Craig/Ford, and it takes itself completely seriously. I almost dismissed it because of the title and I'm glad I didn't.
>>
The Beguiled is the most terrifying Clint Eastwood movie, boyos.
>>
File: Fistful-01-pr-1-a80e2.jpg (375KB, 900x1384px) Image search: [Google]
Fistful-01-pr-1-a80e2.jpg
375KB, 900x1384px
>>80210477
>>80210477
>weird western
no Fistful of Blood film

too bad WB sucks and screwed up Jonah Hex.
>>
>>80208559
No, but I just added it to my watchlist
>>
>>80208815
You should write that anon, it's got potential
>>
>no one has posted the scene where the cowboy gets sucked into the girls vagina from the Western Horror anthology movie

(I don't have it either)
>>
>>80214320
Is this real?
>>
>>80215029
grim prairie tales

https://youtu.be/AmmaBN9TtoY
>>
>>80215252
Erotic
>>
File: 1487866275702.jpg (86KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
1487866275702.jpg
86KB, 640x635px
>>80215252
>>
>>80208559
i liked this shit
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.