[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just marathoned the first half of this when does it get good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Barry_Lyndon_A.jpg (26KB, 300x434px) Image search: [Google]
Barry_Lyndon_A.jpg
26KB, 300x434px
just marathoned the first half of this

when does it get good? cinematography is nice but getting tedious. also the narration and le quirky music is starting to get grating.
>>
File: 1434491546513.jpg (26KB, 720x575px) Image search: [Google]
1434491546513.jpg
26KB, 720x575px
>marathoned
>>
>>80179711
it drags in the middle anon but the climax and resolution is unadulterated kino
>>
Just give up senpai the movie and life that is
>>
if you aren't hooked in the first 5 minutes then you're a pleb and you should give up trying to appreciate film beyond cape-kino
>>
>>80179835
but i was hooked in the first 5 minutes. it was minutes 20-90 that have me skeptical.
>>
File: 1445263748480.jpg (39KB, 450x547px) Image search: [Google]
1445263748480.jpg
39KB, 450x547px
>>80179711
it is an odd duck of a movie and all those things you say about it are true

t. big kubrick fan
>>
>>80179751
>he doesn't marathoned his kinos
>>
>>80179711

Watched this yesterday. Spent first thirty minutes freeze framing every scene to admire the purdy pictures. Spent the next 2 and a half hours wishing I gave a shit about anything or anyone in this movie.
> Are you me?
>>
File: 1485050901948.jpg (22KB, 208x303px) Image search: [Google]
1485050901948.jpg
22KB, 208x303px
>>80179711
>le quirky music
>>
>>80179711
Kubrick was all style no substance, his only good film was Spartacus, I'm not going to argue this point as I have before on this site and the level of autism is outstanding.
>>
>>80180185
>Kubrick was all style no substance
absolutely right

beautiful cinematography, zero talent for telling an interesting story
>>
>>80180185
I honestly think Barry Lyndon is a failure because the book it's based on is a failure.

>muh Victorian Morality

not even once
>>
>>80179711
Btw, even if the cinematography is fantastic the soundtrack is the best thing about this movie.
>>
>>80180059
>>80180185
>>80180289
yeah, basically this. it's basically a narrator telling me how he feels every once in a while without any rational reasoning of how he got there.

>>80180397
it really isn't
>>
File: image.jpg (179KB, 1280x692px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179KB, 1280x692px
It's almost told like a fairytale, isn't it? The expressionistic angle is probably more compellint in that the battles are depicted as social affairs and the social affairs are depicted as battles.

It's kind of like how Hitchcock would invert sex and murder.
>>
I think the movie resonates with you more if you're Irish.
>>
>>80180749
It's funny but I was just thinking that Eyes Wide Shut is a better 'Irish movie' somehow...but then it's also a better 'Jewish movie', maybe it's just better in general? The camera follows Cruise more closely than O'Neill. The cultic angle could be a reference to Scientology, or it could equally apply to the higher echelons of the Catholic Church?
>>
>>80179711
Watched this solely for the lens effect on the candles scene, wasn't disappointed.
>>
>>80179711
its a film a genius makes when he's bored. or when he wanted to make a period piece and some faggot and/or hoards of plebs ruined the market for a Napoleon epic.
>>
>>80179907
>he marathons his kinos
>>
>>80180713
one thing I liked in that vein is the use of zooms. they feel like the only part of the movie so far where the style results in substance.
>>
>>80181183
That's interesting, there are no major zooms in A.I. are there? I've still got to buy Rob Ager's analysis of B-L. I don't know what the zooming adds up to, but the compositions are amazing.
>>
>>80179711
>when does it get good?
If you didn't like the 2nd half its not going to get good.
>cinematography is nice but getting tedious
Its a movie solely made shoot beautifully looking scenes.

/tv/ has hyped it beyond belief. Luckily I didn't know about it and was just going in looking for a fun period piece. Which is what I felt I got. There was no real moral to the story, other than the Irish are literally untrustworthy scum, but not all movies need to have social commentary or happy endings. I just got to experience some dudes adventures.
>>
>>80181356
>There was no real moral to the story

It does have a moral: bad things happen to bad people.

Barry is bad. His life is a serious of episodes in which he demonstrates his pride, cowardice, and selfishness.

The moral kick in the teeth that makes the story fall flat occurs when he tries to make good in the end and show Bullingdon mercy, a genuinely good and potentially redeeming act. But in a Victorian morality story there can be no redemption until bad people suffer. So in exchange for mercy Barry gets crippled. Boo to the depraved Irish upstart. Yay for the morally upright English aristocracy.

> Victorian morality achieved.
>>
>>80181348
looked it up and found this
http://www.jeffreyscottbernstein.com/kubrick/images/BARRY%20LYNDON.pdf

I can't speak for the accuracy of the actual analysis but it at least illustrates how many zooms there are and how they differ in the halves
>>
>>80181356
>Its a movie solely made shoot beautifully looking scenes.

then why the fuck is it 3 hours long

the change in setting for the cinematography in the 2nd half does keep it from getting stale.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.