[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kong Skull Island is horrible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

Pros
>the action scenes with Kong are legitimately well done and visually arresting for a modern blockbuster
>John C. Reilly is the best character in the movie and his jokes landed well
>Jackson and Goodman have good performances

Cons
>Kong isn't in it as much as you'd hope, though he definitely had more screentime than Godzilla '14
>no, we spend most of the movie with the bland as hell human characters and those stupid lizards. Outside of the three actors I mentioned, they're an odd mix of generic Tour of Duty style soldier characters that only exist to get killed off in horrifying ways, and young, attractive jokey MCU blockbuster characters who are there to never get hurt and sequel bait for the cinematic universe.
>they make no great use of the post-Vietnam setting outside of pulling a Guardians of the Galaxy and filling the film to the brim with classic 70s songs
>The script is below B-movie tier
>the editing is horrible (around the climax Kong fights a giant Skullcrawler at night and gets defeated, only for the movie to cut into day time with the remaining characters running away from the lizard and Kong showing up out of nowhere to save them)
>the director is clearly ripping off better movies (Jurassic Park, Aliens, Predator, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc) to no great effect. There's no single clear directorial vision through the entire thing, it feels like a movie made by committee. The tone is all over the place much like Suicide Squad.
>speaking of tone the comedy in this is movie is as bad as the trailers make it out to be. A lot of MCU style jokes where the characters quip back and forth in tense situations. Only John C. Reilley pulls it off.
>>
>there a lot of unearned references to Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness that serve no purpose but to impress redditors
>Brie Larson does nothing but look surprised and tries to hit on Loki. Oh wait she shoots a flare at a skullcrawler which was retarded as fuck
>Loki himself has a scene where he cuts out some flying pterodactyls and does nothing else
>Chinese actress is ONLY there to pander to China, has terrible broken English and does literally nothing
>Corey Hawkins does an okay job but there's not much to his character, he feels that Goodman is attempting to do is too dangerous and that's it. He and the chink get off Scott free despite being partly responsible for the deaths of the soldiers because they knew what the real mission was.
>Tobey Kebbell is there to only have a comedic death scene where Samuel L Jackson is forcing everybody to look for him and the movie reveals he was eaten when a skullcrawler coughs his skeleton up. This is another example of being tonally confusing as Toby's character is set up to care a lot about his son and wrote letters to him frequently while in Vietnam.
>Samuel L Jackson has a reasonable motivation to try to kill Kong, movie tries to portray him as the bad guy despite it not being his fault he was lied to about his mission. King Kong crushes him to death.
>John Goodman is good but he dies very early on in this movie's "raptor kitchen" ripoff scene. I found this odd since he's the Carl Dunham expy and he's never died in a Kong film.
>John C. Reilley's Marlow is the only character that is fully developed and that you care about.
>Kong as a character was serviceable for the movie but his sapience really makes you question his actions, like killing and eating people who didn't do anything wrong to him but sparring Brie Larson despite being apart of their group.
>CG on the Skullcrawlers looked pretty bad and they clip a few times through out the movie
>>
>>80170583
>>John C. Reilly is the best character in the movie and his jokes landed well

totally not full of shit, this guy.
>>
>>80170583
Sorry Disney, you'll have to try harder than that to stop Kino Kong from happening.
>>
Reddit detected
>>
File: Jordan-Vogt-Roberts-Jackie-Chan.jpg (244KB, 1610x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Jordan-Vogt-Roberts-Jackie-Chan.jpg
244KB, 1610x1076px
>the director is clearly ripping off better movies (Jurassic Park, Aliens, Predator, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc) to no great effect. There's no single clear directorial vision through the entire thing, it feels like a movie made by committee. The tone is all over the place much like Suicide Squad.

b-but I'm the next big thing guys I swear
>>
That's a real bummer if true, this was one of the only blockbusters I was looking forward too until the second trailer with all the jokes hit

At least they can't ruin my Planet of the Apes sequel
>>
WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT??
>>
>>80170878
Director is a cuck but I'll still watch this only for more Godzilla in the west
>>
>>80170583
>The action scenes with Kong are well done
>John C Reilly is the best character
>Goodman has a good performance

Fine for me, I can go for free anyway
>>
>>80170583
>people killed by cgi monsters
>fun pop songs
but these are pros
>>
>using redditor in an argument

OPINION DISCARDED

I already have 3 tickets for it. Gonna support my monster movies.
>>
>>80170878
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILtzK6klrTk

He's such an idiot lol.
>>
>>80170878

why do white men think they can pull off beards like that?
>>
>>80171070
Underage detected
>>
>>80171178
They are pros.
>>
>>80170697
Those jokes from the second trailer (skullcrawler naming, we're all going to die together, you shouldn't have come here) are funny when you see them in context.

Brie and Loki have horrible comedic timing though
>>
>>80171178
>he wants his giant monkey movies to be sober and introspective
do like the imdb forums and kill yourself
>>
>>80171205
They're in every summer movie. You have to be 10 to be impressed by that sort of thing, becaus
>>
>>80171258
Not if they're shown off in unique ways.
>>
File: aliens-989223912-large.jpg (163KB, 772x1200px) Image search: [Google]
aliens-989223912-large.jpg
163KB, 772x1200px
>>80171237
>strawman

Here's a fun action movie without any pop songs and characters you actually care about getting killed by GOOD effects
>>
File: loki.png (236KB, 277x381px) Image search: [Google]
loki.png
236KB, 277x381px
>tfw they had a hulk
>>
>>80171279
Kong Skull Island isn't unique. I don't know why you're defending a movie you haven't seen.
>>
>>80171332
One of the best action films ever made. Still excited to see Kong.

>>80171354
Then why are you bashing if you haven't seen it?
>>
>>80171025
This, as long as the pacing isn't god awful, this is all i was expecting anyway(nice surprise about riley's character being one of the best though)
>>
>>80171393
>Then why are you bashing if you haven't seen it?
I have seen it.

That "kong vs aircrafts" set up has been done in every King Kong movie, even the Toho ones.
>>
File: 1488678821913.jpg (46KB, 484x370px) Image search: [Google]
1488678821913.jpg
46KB, 484x370px
>>80170583
so this is the power of kaiju"kino", huh
>>
Tell me about the creatures on the island? How spooky are they? Is there a scene like the insect scene in Jackson's King Kong?
>>
>>80171746
If I pull them off will they die?
>>
>>80170583
No shit why would you listen to critics. This is actual shit and BATB is actually fucking amazing.
>>
>>80171746
>Tell me about the creatures on the island? How spooky are they?
I don't know about spooky but they do fuck a lot of people up

>Is there a scene like the insect scene in Jackson's King Kong?
The whole movie feels like that really. Not as good though.

Like there's a scene were the lawyer guy gets torn to death by pterodactyls while silhouetted by the sun.
>>
>>80171130
who the fuck is this clown
>>
>>80173153
the director

also in other news kong is now at 77%
>>
>>80170583

>spend more time with the human characters than giant CGI monsters

Well fuck, it's almost like... humans are cheaper and easier to put on film than special effects or something.
>>
>>80171163
Jealous Ahmed? We've been pulling beards like that off since ZZ Top.
>>
>>80171130

>IT'S AWESOME
>>
>>80173256
The problem is that the human characters suck ass and you DON'T want to see them quip around until a new monster shows up and kills a few.
>>
>>80172953
Honestly this is all I needed to be convinced to watch this movie lol
>>
>>80173256
>finding excuses for big movie studios
this is a new level of cuckoldry
>>
File: 1457033675316.png (301KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457033675316.png
301KB, 750x500px
Still gonna see it and get my monkey man action.
>>
Disney shill thread.

Yes goy, go watch Beauty and Beast instead.

=====================================

Just got out of advanced screening:

>The cinematography is out of this world. Really best I've seen in ages.

>John C. Riley steals the show with Oscar winning acting imo. Emotional scene at end of film hits at you guts.

>Genre filmaking at its best. Characters don't matter that much more the feel.

>Samuel L Jackson "Bitch, PLease" to Bree Larson got everyone laughing at cinema

>best action scenes and cgi since man of steel
>>
>>80174054
This bait is too on the nose
>>
>>80171130
He's making a Metal Gear Solid movie?
>>
>>80174347
Yep
>>
>>80173862
prepare to be disappointed because kong only has three fight scenes
>>
File: 1444884829210.jpg (73KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
1444884829210.jpg
73KB, 678x960px
>>80175564
Better than nothing I guess
>>
>>80170583
How many giant spiders are there and how long are they in the movie? I'm arachnaphobic.
>>
>>80176313

Why can't you be scared of something normal like vacuum cleaners?
>>
>>80176349
who the fuck is scared of a vacuum cleaner
>>
>>80176399

Those things are fucking loud man, I tell my mom to stop using it when I'm in the room but she just laughs and scratches my ears.
>>
>>80175564
So just like most Kong movies?

It's not like any after the original have much more, jacksons is bloated to hell so it makes most of them worthless
>>
You actually paid to see this crap?
>>
>>80176399
>>80176349
>>80176450
He's right you know; Vacuums are the devil's work son.
>>
>>80176584
Go home doggo
>>
>>80176480
>So just like most Kong movies?
Except this time it's not 90 minutes long and has a bunch of awful human characters.
>>
>>80176713
>90 minutes
The every American one is over 100 minutes
>awful human characters
Again, so all but the original and jack from the 1976 one?
>>
File: 1446245082664.jpg (23KB, 489x488px) Image search: [Google]
1446245082664.jpg
23KB, 489x488px
The more I think about those lizards the more pissed off I get.

A 50 cal couldn't kill those things but the large sharp sticks that the natives kept up around their camp was able to hold them off. But they movie shows they're not stupid (one of them kills a guy who is trying to suicide bomb it) so why don't they just move the sticks out of the way?
>>
>>80176787
Saying that most are bad doesn't excuse this one from being bad.
>>
>>80176621
I'm telling you, they're a h*ckin big frighten. Did me the real big spook.
>>
>>80176895
You said
>except this time
As if it's somehow surprising anything after the first is not doing this shit
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.