[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I helped enable this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 17

File: thumbnail_25146.jpg (88KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_25146.jpg
88KB, 640x360px
It's a fucking hot potato. Nobody wants the blame and the faith in the creativity was assassinated because of culture politics over the past three years.
For the fans out there, let it be known now that the "Name" of the Major is the absolute least of your problems.

The original script was intellectually demanding, focused on a sort of Voyage of the states of humanity and technology, using plenty of theories and ideas supported by scientific observations. The main theme was similar to the original animated film, exploring the plausibility of artificial intelligence becoming fully sentient, but different in the manner that a hub of human minds became a hivemind intelligence (humans physical bodies died) and remnant sparks of their fading consciousness may have created life born on the internet and whether or not it deserved basic human rights.
The script was actually well thought-out and a strong psychological thriller with plenty of questions left up to the audience. This had been the working draft that was in place for almost 4 years. The bottom line was that there were no hard answers at the conclusion and that the setup was complex enough to leave room for the audience to doubt and have a serious discussion on the ramifications.
>>
File: ghost.png (117KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
ghost.png
117KB, 670x377px
This new revised script was shoehorned in due to fears that audiences would be unable to comprehend the implications of the case and the revisions forced out all subtlety, nuance or psychological discussion in exchange for a weaker and redundant topic of the Major's identity that is all too familiar of the Len Wiseman remake of Total Recall.

There was a "consultant" that was suddenly involved in the making of the movie just before shooting began that was notoriously kept -visibly- out of all shoot sessions and seemed to be motivating most of the ideologies behind the re-written scripts. Half of scripting the notes used numbers in place of names to keep people guessing who was who, but a majority of the notes came from "1.19.11", who pretty much turned the story into a fucking joke. The handwriting of all this consultant's notes are very feminine and much of the notes are hard leans into informing the audience of blatant cues that need to show off how -and I'm not paraphrasing- "empowered" the major is.

The major was originally written as more emotionally detached, calculating and mentally 'alien' to the concept of shame; she took no shit from anybody and got shit done and communicated effectively with her team.
>>
File: 1479045633batose.png (143KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
1479045633batose.png
143KB, 640x320px
The new, revised script instead made her more vulnerable, soft-spoken and human - utterly abandoning all the interesting conceits of the original story that allowed her agency to make a choice that showed what kind of person she was. You're now basically told who and what she is and she just ends up in places and doing things without having her motivated by choice to act, but instead just forced to a conclusion. She's just there for the ride.

They flat out ripped the identity of Kuze from the anime series and made him into a lame hodgepodge of villains with no emotional core. He's utterly interchangeable and unmemorable. The Major herself is reduced to that of a damsel in distress in his presence. As a matter of fact, Scarlet is MORE like the Major in the film LUCY than she is in this film, which is wholly a fault of the script.

Scarlet questioned the script several times due to inconsistencies based on what she knew of the franchise lore compared to the new script, which by all accounts was tone-deaf with how much focus was placed on inventing a backstory for the major for emotional weight instead of any sort of displays of her using her wide array of skills and talents to complete the tasks she handled.
>>
File: GitS ScarJo.jpg (162KB, 860x459px) Image search: [Google]
GitS ScarJo.jpg
162KB, 860x459px
The other characters are also reduced to pale imitations with no depth given to them. The political intrigue or journey into philosophical study of what makes people 'human' is pretty much all gone. Despite it being widely known that "The Matrix" took cues and ideas from GITS, this film itself literally is two steps behind the Matrix and any other movie about the humanizing of artificial intelligence that came before it - period.

The visuals are wasted and no longer in tune with the original vision in the script. The justification for some of the shots are now all just for show instead of done for the benefit of storytelling. Yes, there was always going to be CG, but now, the purpose for almost all of the visuals that the franchise is known for having is just done "for show" with none of the storytelling beats connecting with them to produce any kind of thematic structure or ambiance for any sort of intertwining tale. It's just all a hallowed-out husk of images just to get the attention of fans while the rest is just cashing in on Scarlet's star power. The integrity of it compared to the rest of the media is so heavily watered-down that it's actually less interesting than Johnny Mnemonic.
>>
I didn't know much of anything at all about this franchise until I was tasked t work on it and even though I just had a really small part in the production, I was at least involved for long enough to make an honest effort to do some research. I bought a few of the mangas, the animated three films and two animated series box sets along with the PS2 game just to get a good idea of what kind of subject matter I was working on before filming started and now that I've seen the finished product, I'm ashamed of myself, not only because of just how much of the source material was poached to make this ironic shell of a soulless cash-grab, but because I actually had hundreds, if not thousands of opportunities to voice an opinion, but was too afraid of being fired or kicked off of the project for having one that might have made this product much better than it was. It really would have been worth being fired over - but I was too much of a coward then. Now, It's too late.

Don't bother sitting through the end credits.
>>
I believe you but do you have anything to prove you're legit?
>>
>>80151003
She was vulnerable in the original, though. It was a philosophical sort of vulnerability. Remember the scene where she went for a leisurely swim in the ocean and that feeling you got of her being totally lost, yet she didn't seem to care beyond trying to make some logical sense of it? It was a recurring theme throughout, not only with her.
I bet they chose Johansson for the role because of her role in Her, and then completely dropped the connection altogether, thinking it will magically shine through anyway. >No more aloof sentience.
>More Lilu Dallas.
>Yeah, that will definitely sell more tickets.
>>
Who was the consultant then
>>
>>80151871
read my past threads for more info, shill
>>
File: Ghost-in-the-Shell.jpg (169KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-in-the-Shell.jpg
169KB, 970x545px
>>80151920
Emotionally vulnerable, as in she actively emotes in her face and tone of voice as if she is fearful of her life.

>>80151871
You want me to spoil embarrassing details such as how they go out of their way to imply that kuze is her brother or that section 9 is technically responsible for the events that destroyed her body and messed up her memory in the first place and that they covered up the accident and tried to make amends by giving her a cyber body. Since they funded it, they basically own her.

I'm risking getting banned over this, you know, so it's a catch-22 on whether you believe me or not. Ultimately, time will tell regardless.
>>
File: Ghost-in-the-Shell.jpg (52KB, 752x440px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-in-the-Shell.jpg
52KB, 752x440px
>>80152255
Why are you trying to pose as me again? in a GITS -related topic no less?

I haven't exactly made efforts to be hostile, so if anybody's going to make an attempt to pose as me, the least they could do is give make even a slight attempt to adopt the same attitude.
>>
i find this interesting, if not surprising. everybody wants to have MADE a classic, but nobody's willing to risk their investor's money and go out on a limb and actually MAKE one.

oh, well. we still have the manga, no matter how incomprehensible Shirow Masamune's pseudo-philosophical maunderings come across as.
>>
>>80152255
This might be my last post for a while because you seem to enjoy stalking me and derailing my threads.

I may be back after the movie comes out, and I'm working on some films that /tv/ would find...intriguing (hint: it rhymes with Win Trinity Core)
>>
>>80152420
>>80152294
What was your job title in the production?
>>
OP; don't worry. you didn't help enable it.. unless you made it easier for 1.19.11 to fuck the film in the ass.

did you?
>>
>>80150958
>informing the audience of blatant cues that need to show off how -and I'm not paraphrasing- "empowered" the major is.
find it beyond funny that some retarded feminist piece of shit destroyed the essence of a character like Motoko just because she could not understand what she was since clearly doesn't know shit about anything related to the franchise. Best part is that it destroyed her uniqueness to put on screen just another helpless girl that needs to figure shit up. I do hope that when I see the movie, the Major has at least one scene choosing shoes or buying clothes and some lingering for one of the male characters. Fucking idiots.
>>
i really want to see an entire series just about Batou's dog. forget section 9. just.. the dog.
>>
File: gitsscar.jpg (100KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
gitsscar.jpg
100KB, 1500x750px
>>80152818
Read my past threads for more info, i cant reveal who i am.
>>80152902
No, I did not.
>>
>>80153008
watch anything made by mamoru oshii. There you go.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96KB, 1920x1080px
>>80152556
the thing is that any person with basic rote comprehension will know it's coming just based on how they frame everything.

The instant she chokes on shooting Kuze, you can guess the entire outcome of events after because you're given a thorough exposition on how memories can be faked/altered roughly ten minutes before that - thanks to some guy earlier having simulated memories in an interrogation and a short, passing discussion about such a thing being casually hinted at being possible with no subtlety.

The fact that her personality is inconsistent is conveyed through her actions and expressions, not dialogue. Like, in the trailers, the action scenes are just recreations of certain scenes, but outside of that, her posture, stance, facial expressions and in-combat action, she has certain acting moments like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVIE99nxFU
or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwN5jS4bt4

instead of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqWpeaYsOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-gGZ2rJqfQ
or this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tj7HTGjAKk

Like I said. "vulnerable" and not in the sense of the first animated film. Even when she's walking with her weapons in hostile territory, she looks terrified that something's about to kill her instead of stoic and focused.
>>
I don't believe any of this and I stopped reading 1 paragraph in
>>
>>80153033
As much as I knew this would happen, there was a glimmer of hope when I saw the first teaser, still there's no way on earth that the original themes of the franchise would made it into a hollywood movie starring scarlet memeson. You don't even have to be near antyhign related to the production, is common sense by now that most shit gets taken apart and then later on liquified to feed as much people as you can and questioning what's human or what makes us human for hour and a half, with people talking about the net and how to do maintenance to their prosthetic bodies woudl never do.
>>
Who did the rewrites? Any guess?
>>
>>80153166
Me

I got a bonus for it too because it was on top of my normal work duties
>>
>>80153096
>she looks terrified that something's about to kill her instead of stoic and focused.
which is a clear hint that the Major isn't the Major at all. She is the most based member of Section 9, in the series it's hinted she even went on and recruited everyone and even went one on one with every member. Whoever did change that thinking it was doing women any favours should be shot in the head after watching his whole family get shot and thrown from an airplane.
>>
File: moto.png (926KB, 1440x772px) Image search: [Google]
moto.png
926KB, 1440x772px
>>80153123
No matter how hard you try, shill, the truth will get out about this movie. I just wanted to tell you my side of the story in the hopes that something like this can be avoided in the future.
>>
>>80153251
>something like this can be avoided in the future.
this has happened before and it will happen again man. There's no way to avoid it.
>>
>>80153096
>thanks to some guy earlier having simulated memories in an interrogation and a short, passing discussion about such a thing being casually hinted at being possible with no subtlety.

but this is LITERALLY how it happens in the animated movie lol
>>
File: 91059122.gif (45KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
91059122.gif
45KB, 499x499px
>tfw I've been taking random stills from google and then posing as OP
>tfw OP hasn't posted since >>80151243
>tfw there are at least 2 other people pretending to be OP alongside me

who here /larper/?
>>
File: the_laughing_man_logo.png (38KB, 195x195px) Image search: [Google]
the_laughing_man_logo.png
38KB, 195x195px
>>80153033
Just realized I messed up. I meant to warn this guy here
>>80152255
>>80153033
That it's not nice to pose as other people for good reason, but he's taking what I said and using that to further his own ends to pose as me. I'm not going to be able to keep this up because I know there's going to be more trolls trying to perpetrate this, given time.

1. I didn't make any other topics. This is my first topic and only one. There was never another one I made before this one.
2. The imposter-poster is close, but no cigar. I was close enough to production to influence a few things and I can't reveal too much out of fear of future job security. It's very easy for corparate to narrow down leaks to a small group and wipe them off the board, even if for one individual on a small team.

>>80152902
Technically, I did. By not making an honest effort to advise against the opinions of a faceless bunch of digits when I see how the end result would have greatly benefitted from a more respectful treatment of the franchise, this film pretty much is just an average film that will be remembered for just being yet another basic cash-in. Mind you, it's definitely not as bad as dragonball evolution, but it's nowhere as lasting as anything nolan has done and definitely on par with something like the second "Hitman" movie. There just isn't much else but the visuals and a watered-down story.

Think of it like this: The rest of the franchise always leaves the viewer with philisophical questions. This movie gives the audience a question about "who is she" in the first 15 minutes and gives you a final, definitive answer at the conclusion with no sort of imagination built into the story whatsoever, ultimately amounting to nothing. but a pathetic attempt to set up a franchise.
>>
>>80151243
>s, if not thousands of opportunities to voice an opinion, but was too afraid of being fired or kicked off of the project for having one that might have made this product much better than it was. It really would have been worth being fired over - but I was too much of a coward then. Now, It's too late.

you're a cuck.
>>
File: gits_comparison.jpg (2MB, 1000x4045px) Image search: [Google]
gits_comparison.jpg
2MB, 1000x4045px
>story's a mess
>looks like shit

Why are people excited for this again?
>>
File: gits-hands-05.png (243KB, 592x320px) Image search: [Google]
gits-hands-05.png
243KB, 592x320px
>>80153300
As I said earlier. There are certain things taken from the franchise purely for showing the fans, hoping the visuals alone or certain recreations will appeal to them. The problem isn't what they take, it's they flat-out waste it by not utilising the purpose of it. Like in how BvS, they have supeman killed, but the leadup wasn't done with enough character development for Clark/Kal-el or the fight between Batman and Superman was done without the emotional tension of the two having had a lasting friendship before that point so the conflict between them was unearned. The same idea applies here. There are nods to the franchise without purposeful meaning other than to try bliding people from the glaring plot points that even the most unattentive of viewers can piece together before the 30 minute mark.

The whole point of the conversation after the interrogation is presented in a semi-joking "what if you were like him, just living a lie?" sort-of way and the camera Lingers on the Major giving a half-contemplative look. and from there, she's brought in on another case where she runs right into a kuze hologram and chokes up with inner conflict and it's clear that she knows him and he's clearly aware of that fact. The moment section 9 gets wind of it, all pretense of things with them being all good with her is shoved out the door and it's clearly a huge cover-up they don't want her involved in.[/spoiler.] The problem isn't that the took a cue from the animated film. The problem is that they take it and use it to pretty much make the rest of the movie about that very conversation.

>>80153303
>>80153251
I should have used trips to circumvent this.
General rules of thumb:
1. I don't use insults against other people. The culture of this board is alien to me. I'm partial to /k/ and /trv/ because of life/job choices, so any terms used by this board is an impostor.
2. I don't troll, even against anons people that might deserve it.
3. I make honest efforts.
>>
Put on a trip ffs
>>
Is this thread real? wtf
>>
>>80153620
>>>80152902
>Technically, I did.

unless you were near the top of the food chain, there isn't anything you could have done. if you were second assistant director's-folding-chair-deployer-and-coffee-mug-holder, they wouldn't give a shit about your opinions.
>>
Well right off the bat Scarjo is badly miscast. I like her but this feels like a "vehicle" for a studio star. I think they saw Under the Skin and thought "hey should could play a robot."

I doubt anyone from the studio knew wtf a ghost in the shell even was. It's pretty obscure to most Americans. It was probably just "hey this is the thing the kids on the internet like" - "let's jam our latest star into it and throw in millions in CGI and make a blockbuster."

This looked doomed from the start.
>>
>>80155852
It has nothing to do with who was cast as the Major at this point. Whoever would have landed the role would have been in the same position. The best-looking visual representation on earth would have been still forced to perform a character that does not fit who or what the character is known for. If RDJ played Stark and behaved like Sergeant Hartman or Uma Thurma's poison Ivy, you'd call it a failure of a performance for a reason beyond the actor.

Hell, majority of the film is more of a mystery being uncovered for Major's identity that does more to make kuze out to be a one-note shitty brother that became a terrorist - without the story using his relation to Major as any sort of justification to help humanize his motivations. He comes across as empty, because the film wants to explore the major fighting back against the circumstances that made her instead of anything else. It's not a matter of casting. It's solely the intent of production.

>>80152218
>>80153166
It's almost impossible to guess considering that there's a mess of guidelines with a bunch of fucking numbers for each one written. It seemed strategically done in order to prevent anybody from eating the brunt of the blame for the anticipated backlash.

I mean, it sounds like a bs explanation, but when you see it, it makes sense how it works. Anybody can point a finger at a name, but people hiding behind numbers prevents easy scapegoating.

All I know is that there was confirmed to be a consultant who left nearly 7 of the guideline marks on the pages as "1.19.11"

>>80153123
It's not my job to force you to believe anything I say. You can choose to believe me or not, but at least I made the effort to put out what needs to be said far in advance. If you think I'm full of it, more power to you. It costs me nothing and really serves me no gain to lie this close to release.

>>80152591
1. Lies with nothing to do with this topic.
2. I don't tease.
>>
>>80154335
>I should have used trips to circumvent this.

You think?
>>
>>80156489
*75 Percent.
>>
I'm just so pissed off they made the plot a shitty revenge story centered around the major's identity. I saw it coming though, a lot of people did. Fucking hacks.
>>
>>80156517
doesn't help that I keep moving from room to room to check on different things that have my attention at this time. something like this escapes my notice each time I'm pressed to respond to things external to a screen and keyboard.

I'd emote a shrug if it wasn't imediately frowned upon.
>>
>>80150958
> The handwriting of all this consultant's notes are very feminine

Yeah, fuck off.
>>
yay. a namefag "i'm an insider, really!" circlejerk thread.

my favorite.
>>
File: cat_irritated.jpg (70KB, 622x621px) Image search: [Google]
cat_irritated.jpg
70KB, 622x621px
>people (ie normies) are actually hyped to see this dreck
The world needs a benevolent dictator to purge (((Hollywood))) already. Like fucking Pol Pot or something.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-03-07-10h57m14s404.jpg (44KB, 544x352px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-03-07-10h57m14s404.jpg
44KB, 544x352px
>>80150958

She looks retarded.
>>
>>80153620
>That it's not nice to pose as other people for good reason

this isn't a nice place. come here expecting to get ass-fucked.
>>
>>80150915
>>A cult classic that wasn't for normies is watered down giant faceless company could make a billion dollars.

>> It's so diluted to the point that you have to hand hold the idiots that thought Inception was hard to follow.

Yeah, we know.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.