[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Early English settlercore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: new world.jpg (38KB, 346x400px) Image search: [Google]
new world.jpg
38KB, 346x400px
What are some kinos about the early English settlers in North America? Specifically around the time of the Roanoke and Jamestown settlements (1584-1624)

Also accepted: non-contemporaneous or fantastical films that are heavily based on the events of the period and employ similar themes (e.g. Avatar)
>>
The VVitch
Apocalypto
>>
File: Vince-McMahon.jpg (92KB, 645x369px) Image search: [Google]
Vince-McMahon.jpg
92KB, 645x369px
>mfw that opening to the New World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFkyAD9gS6g
>>
Most of these are about 50-80 years later than you have asked for, but there's scantly any decent about that period.

The Last of The Mohicans (9/10)
Black Robe (7/10)
The Revenant (7/10)
Pocahontas (7/10)
The Crucible (6/10)
The VVitch) (6/10)
>>
>>80140586
Yeah Pocahontas and The New World are the only films I can think of that exactly fit the criteria

Nice list though, thanks
>>
>>80140802
black robe is very under appreciated, but a very interesting look on how native americans and europeans thought of each other. Interesting to learn how native americans looked upon written language as magic as they had none of their own.

The Crucible is a bit overly theatrical, but daniel day lewis makes it worth sitting through.

You should watch Ridley Scotts 1492: Conquest of Paradise, it's about when Colombus first landed in the caribbean. Great sets, great score, the plot is a bit meandering, but worth it.
>>
>>80140981
>black robe is very under appreciated, but a very interesting look on how native americans and europeans thought of each other. Interesting to learn how native americans looked upon written language as magic as they had none of their own.
Sounds cool. That's what I find most interesting about the period, the extent of the culture shock for both the Europeans and the natives. When the Roanoke settlers tried to teach the natives about Christianity and showed them a Bible, they started rubbing the book on their bodies because they thought it would give them magic powers
>>
>>80141297
>the extent of the culture shock for both the Europeans and the natives
In that case, Dances With Wolves (1990)
It's civil war era, but still a great film.
>>
File: 1471153217467.jpg (2MB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1471153217467.jpg
2MB, 1000x1500px
>>
>>80141576
>john ford
>henry fonda
well I'm sold.
>>
>>80141499
Thanks I'll check it out
>>
>>80140327
Not based on the English but the conquistadors, but I think you'd like Aguirre, the Wrath of God
>>
>>80141732
I've been meaning to watch this for fucking ages

How does it compare to Herzog's other stuff?
>>
>>80140327
>English settlecore
Google search "english women"
>>
>>80140521
Apocalypto isn't about English or any other settlers. It's about some sort of Mayans/Aztecs.
>>
>>80140568
kino
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.