[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I was watching this on TV and literally and unironically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: the flash.jpg (252KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the flash.jpg
252KB, 1920x1080px
So, I was watching this on TV and literally and unironically asking myself: "how the fuck does anyone watch entire season of this?"

This thread is not to bash people who like this show or Arrow or Gotham (although I know very little about this last one), but to discuss the formulaic stream of show that has come out in the last 2-5 years.

These shows can actually have decent and interesting plots with time-travelling, character development, multi-universes, etc. but to me all of those qualities are irreversibly stained by the american TV show formula: the dialogues, the pacing (a huge fault in these shows), the camera angles, the shots... all of those look exactly the same and are of very poor quality, in my opinion. That is not to talk about the mediocre fight scenes which are not that bad in Flash but completely threw me off of Arrow.

Compare this to, for example, Daredevil. The pacing is much more composed, without sudden bursts of action that only end on the entire "hero team" doing a retrospective in the forever unchanged "hero lair cave", with cringe worthy dialogue, reminding a poor theatrical set. Daredevil's "lair" is his home, but even this gets compromised at times. Sometimes he has to trust in people he only met moments ago. Sometimes he's as vulnerable as a toddler. Although kind of fundamentalist, his dialogue and views are not something out of a cheesy soap opera.
The balance between night vigilante and daytime lawyer is dynamic and sometimes the line between them is blurred. When it comes to the fight scenes, it's not even worth discussing. Simply great.

Am I the only one to notice this formulaic trend in these shows? I simply cannot stand it. I feel like whoever made this show is trying to trick me into wanting a kiddy toy by wrapping it up with a thin "mature" layer.

Inb4 "capeshit is shit anyways", not an argument
>>
>>80091222

The Flash and other CW shows are pieces of shit. This is not news to anyone. You forgot to mention the shit writing and acting that gets in the way of having compelling character development. It's not just the "american TV show formula", but also a lack of talent. No one with a brain thinks simply having multiple universes or time traveling is decent or interesting.
>>
>>80091222
>This thread is not to bash people who like this show or Arrow or Gotham
Gotham is very different from flash/arrow
>>
File: 1462132224730.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462132224730.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>80091222

>why do people like things I don't likfe

its almost as if you live in an internet echo chamber or something and have no interaction with people who aren't your parents
>>
>>80091839
The first season of Gotham was pretty good for what it was, but holy shit I hated Jada Pinkett Smith. Her character was so annoying and in my opinion brought the entire show down. Season 2 seemed like a drop in quality from season 1, and season 3 right now I can't seem to want to keep up with. It's okay but when shows keep taking breaks for the holidays and sports events it throws everything off.

I've never seen Flash/Arrow so I can't speak for them. I watched the first few episodes of Supergirl and it didn't grab me despite Supergirl being a cutie.
>>
>>80091222
Stay mad nerd
>>
>>80091848
I'm looking to discuss why these shows seem so formulaic to me when others of the same genre feel more raw and distinct. It's not simply a "flash is shit" thread. It's got great positive points, but I can't watch it for those other reasons.
>>
>>80092148
It's not a new trend, it's exactly like Smallville.
>>
>>80092054
All of them are the same, start off well then get shit.

Arrow season 1 and 2 are pretty solid, but they then get terrible.
>>
I liked show even though it was stupid but I could't stand one thing - Flash's power levels were changing every ten minutes.
>>
>>80092148
You do realize like 95% of tv/movie follows a formula that's been used before. Storytelling and plot pacing don't really change much from show to show. Sometimes you have shows/movies that are out of order and those may be the exception but spoiler alert that's not original. It's 2017 and most everything has been done before. It's not an American thing. It's a human thing and literally all writing falls victim to it because you have to follow it to have some coherence. There's nothing wrong with that to tell a good story or have a good show people can follow.

I don't watch many un-American things but Broadchurch comes to mind, a great show by the way, but it's nothing new. Oh no, looks like the brits are following some shitty formulaic writing and it brings the entire show down...
>>
i honestly believe this is a show intended for childen age 11-13. it's beyond terrible in every way. i forced my way through the first season and as someone who's watched a lot of trash this was one of the few times it felt like i had wasted time.
>>
>>80092148
>great positive points

Like what?
>>
>>80092328
>You do realize like 95% of tv/movie follows a formula that's been used before

Yeah, but it's really gotten to a point where it's truly tiring, at least for me. I've watched shows like that, sometimes because the story was interesting enough to override those faults, but holyshit it's just always the same shit now. Potential is being completely wasted on these badly produced shows. Kinda makes me sad.
>>
>>80091222
Does anybody actually watch these shows? I know absolutely nobody that has watched Arrow, Flash or any other shite superhero tv show. Who are these made for?
>>
>>80092470

Contrary to what you believe, most people don't go about talking about the TV shows they watch 24/7. Go outside and meet people who have adult lives
>>
>>80092503
Not that guy but a normie adult.

I talked to my buddy about Gotham when it first came out. I was kind of surprised he was watching it but he said he enjoyed it. We've never talked about it again but I wouldn't be surprised if he's still watching it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.