[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i haven't watched this since it came out does it hold up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

i haven't watched this since it came out
does it hold up?
>>
>>80082941
All the non-Daniel Day Lewis scenes are pretty expendable, to be honest
>>
>America was born in the streets
lol
>>
>>80082970
This.
>>
>>80082970
Why can't Daniel Day-Lewis pick better films?
>>
>>80082941
This film was made basically because Scorsese was jealous of the Sopranos, and not having the idea of Sopranos himself

If you cut DDL, it's just a bad episode of Sopranos set in the XIX century
>>
>>80083052
>If you cut DDL, it's just a bad episode of Sopranos set in the XIX century
in literally what way
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 485x315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 485x315px
Jim Broadbent, who plays Boss Tweed, is better than Daniel Day-Lewis.
>>
>>80082996
Because he's a stage actor.
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 900x600px
Anyone who thinks DiCaprio was "shown up" by Day-Lewis knows nothing about film acting. Artistically-speaking, it's not fair to position a film actor against a stage actor, but on a technical level its a fascinating method.
>>
first half is pretty good

cameron diaz is TERRIBLE

second half is kinda disappointing
>>
Shame there aren't more method actors in Hollywood.
>>
Charles Laughton, who worked closely for a time with Bertolt Brecht, argued that "Method actors give you a photograph", while "real actors give you an oil painting."
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4122x2742px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4122x2742px
The film is a beautiful series of tableaux vivants. It can look like a John George Brown painting, but the factual history is blurred, and the Civil War is largely ignored. It's easy to see the movie as psychological preparation for the Iraq war rather than a treatise on the Civil War itself. None of the characters are granted much of an arc.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 520x341px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 520x341px
In the latter half of the film you don't see as many families or children. The only kid I can remember was the actor playing the young Vallon.
>>
>>80082996
Better question is why the fuck does Daniel Day-Lewis vanishes after a movie year then out of nowhere pops up for another movie.

Like he completely disappears from the public.
>>
>>80082941
trash
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 571x438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 571x438px
It would have been interesting to focus on the enlarged role of Catholic priests from 1846 to 1880, as ordained priests managed to grow 800 percent in that time.

There's a contention that Lincoln held these views about the Jesuits:
http://www.biblebelievers.com/chiniquy/cc50_ch61.html
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.